Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,439

    Thanksgiving day Injuns

    My daughter came home from school yesterday with a feathered headband, they'd been learning about thanksgiving.
    It's an American tradition but we've all been exposed to the nature of it through movies set around it (usually old friends reunited coming back from the big cities to small town America where old rivalries flare up and old romances are rekindled etc) to TV series sitcoms and dramas. Point is we all know about it and how it originated in the 1600s with the first successful harvest which the settlers (pilgrims?) shared with the less fortunate natives of the area.
    Anyway, it got me to thinking, all the depictions I've seen of thanksgiving involve nice white people sitting around eating turkey and punkin pie and watching football and then it also occured to me that assuming the TV/Movies depictions reflect reality, at least to a degree, then no one includes the indians in their celebrations.
    Surely an authentic Thanksgiving celebration would involve inviting some Indians to join your family and share the good fortune.
    To the Americans among us surely it would be a thoughtful gesture to invite some indians to join your next Thanksgiving. (or do you aleady?)
    (I blame spotify failing me today and causing me to think about shit on my bike ride instead of just humming along)
    Last edited by Cujo; 27-11-2020 at 09:11 PM.
    “If we stop testing right now we’d have very few cases, if any.” Donald J Trump.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    34,469
    Not sure how Halloween got involved in that post.


    Our family has had Thanksgiving with Indians. My father’s sister was married to a Native American. (Both passed on now.) One of their boys, my cousin, was in to his roots thing for a few years. He wore his braids and jewelry much to the consternation of the aunts, uncles, and Grandma. The rest of us thought it was mighty cool.

  3. #3
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,439
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    Not sure how Halloween got involved in that post.


    .
    What're you talking aboot.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    34,469
    .

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Location
    The Kingdom of Lanna
    Posts
    11,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    What're you talking aboot.
    Green owed. It says i have to give others before I can give to you. As no one has done anything noteworthy for a while , be patient.

  6. #6
    In Uranus
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    22,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Point is we all know about it and how it originated in the 1600s with the first successful harvest which the settlers (pilgrims?) shared with the less fortunate natives of the area.
    Actually it was the other way around. The Native Americans took pity on the emaciated pilgrims and brought a feast of Turkey and Maize. If they had known what they were about to be in for they would have let the white bastards starve.

    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    He wore his braids and jewelry much to the consternation of the aunts, uncles, and Grandma.
    The Georgian trump supporters in your family I bet.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,530
    Though the source of the celebration is attributed to what you described above, it has evolved to one of a family gathering to give Thanks for all we have. I am sure similar occasions are celebrate around the world, no Indians nessacery.
    Sure there is a mythology generated to support the event. What country does not have a mythology to support a common narrative ?
    But let's understand something, very few , if any people on America , other than children in school, think of Indians, or the Mayflower on Turkey day.
    By the way the late comers on the Mayflower arrived in America in 1620 When St Augustine was thriving and was Founded: September 1565 , while the pilgrims were poking hontas, the Spaniards were building this in St Augustine Florida and it is only due to changes in history, and a different narrative . that we are not celebrating Matanzas day.
    Castillo de san marcos built 1672
    Thanksgiving day-castillo-jpg
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

  8. #8
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    9,030
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    The Native Americans took pity on the emaciated pilgrims and brought a feast of Turkey and Maize.
    More than a myth that they prepared turkey. There wasn't any in these instances.
    Many other foods from the bountiful land....but not turkey.


    Typically, you're just parroting historical mistruths that have been repeated over and again.
    Anyone surprised?


  9. #9
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    Though the source of the celebration is attributed to what you described above, it has evolved to one of a family gathering to give Thanks for all we have. I am sure similar occasions are celebrate around the world, no Indians nessacery.
    Sure there is a mythology generated to support the event. What country does not have a mythology to support a common narrative ?
    But let's understand something, very few , if any people on America , other than children in school, think of Indians, or the Mayflower on Turkey day.
    By the way the late comers on the Mayflower arrived in America in 1620 When St Augustine was thriving and was Founded: September 1565 , while the pilgrims were poking hontas, the Spaniards were building this in St Augustine Florida and it is only due to changes in history, and a different narrative . that we are not celebrating Matanzas day.
    Castillo de san marcos built 1672
    Thanksgiving day-castillo-jpg
    Your point in a nutshell?

  10. #10
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,439
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    More than a myth that they prepared turkey. There wasn't any in these instances.
    Many other foods from the bountiful land....but not turkey.



    You were there were you?

  11. #11
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    8,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    My daughter came home from school yesterday with a feathered headband, they'd been learning about thanksgiving.
    A little more…….

    National Day of Mourning


    Thanksgiving: The National Day of Mourning - PAPER - National Day of Mourning — November 26, 2020 | National Today


    If you, your daughter or anyone else would like to learn a little more:

    1491: Amazon.com

    An American Genocide: Amazon.com

    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

  12. #12
    In Uranus
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    22,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    You were there were you?
    Apparently

    FOJ

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Your point in a nutshell?
    That the narrative of the occasion does not support the reality . Sorry for the History diversion , I live about 15 min away from Castillo de san Marcos , and take every opportunity available to me to talk about it. LOL

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    34,469
    ^ Cancel culture! Cancel culture! Your narrative not quite White enough.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    You were there were you?
    I've seen pictures of him, I would not be surprised if he was. LOL

  16. #16
    In Uranus
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    22,513
    East coast libs representing. I hope the three of you can social distance a meet up.

    ... @landrith 1491 is a good read. I am going to assume that you read it years ago.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Posts
    5,415
    I still don't properly understand what Thanksgiving is. Is it giving thanks for the harvest?

    I think I asked this last year, but I have the memory of a goldfish.

  18. #18
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    9,030
    The good natives would've done themselves better by picking 'em off as they came ashore.

  19. #19
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    8,087
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    ... @landrith 1491 is a good read. I am going to assume that you read it years ago.
    yes both books years ago

  20. #20
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    9,030
    RE: repo response.

    Most certainly is, Nev -
    And very deeply ingrained.

    Ta....

  21. #21
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    That the narrative of the occasion does not support the reality . Sorry for the History diversion , I live about 15 min away from Castillo de san Marcos , and take every opportunity available to me to talk about it. LOL
    So what are you trying to (not?) say?

  22. #22
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,439
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    The good natives would've done themselves better by picking 'em off as they came ashore.
    Maybe they were demorats?
    It they were Republicans they wouldn't have the situation they have today.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    I still don't properly understand what Thanksgiving is. Is it giving thanks for the harvest?

    I think I asked this last year, but I have the memory of a goldfish.
    Thanksgiving is an event to celebrate and give thanks for all we have. Since for most of our history we were an agrarian society , it coincides with the harvest and it is held in the Fall for most countries , and we all , regardless of what country have developed a narrative to support a common identity.

    In the US we have developed a mythology based the historically Anglo identity , which involves their arrival and subsequent straggle. and if interested for more about America it is easily googled.
    Below is what I found for around the world,

    I particularly like the one in Barbados
    Barbados: Crop Over
    The Crop Over, a traditional harvest festival in Barbados, features singing, dancing, climbing a greased pole, feasting, drinking competitions and a calypso music competition.
    Thanksgiving day-baebados1-jpg

    Canada: Jour de l'Action de Grâce
    Canadians celebrate Jour de l'Action de Grâce, aka Thanksgiving Day, on the second Monday in October. Similar to the American Thanksgiving, people in Canada reserve this time to celebrate the harvest and other blessing of the past year.

    Korea: Chuseok
    Chuseok, a major harvest festival and three-day holiday in Korea, is celebrated on the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar. Koreans return to their hometowns to perform traditional rituals in the morning to remember their ancestors

    Vietnam: Tết Trung Thu Festival
    In Vietnam, people celebrate the Tết Trung Thu Festival (Mid-Autumn Festival) in September or in early October. This fall celebration is also known as the Children’s Festival. The Vietnamese believe children are symbols of innocence and purity

    Germany: Erntedankfest
    Although it’s not an official holiday, Germans celebrate Erntedankfest (The Harvest of Thanks) on the first Sunday in October.

    China: August Moon Festival
    Celebrated in China, the August Moon Festival is a 1,000-year-old tradition for the Chinese to reflect on the bounty of the summer harvest, the fullness of the moon and the myth of the immortal goddess,

    India: Pongal
    Pongal is a 4-day festival celebrated January 12th through the 15th, to mark the beginning of the end of the winter season in India. The second day, Surya Pongal, is the most important day of the festival. On this day, people throw their old clothes into the fire, have an oil massage and then wear new clothes

    Crap !! it seem that there are more than 12 countries in the world and they all have some sort of a Thanksgiving celebration, so if interested for more go to the link below
    Giving Thanks Around the World : Harvest Festivals and Thanksgiving Celebrations : Travel Channel | Travel Channel

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    So what are you trying to (not?) say?
    I think I said it all.
    I am moving to Barbados where the ladies climb a greased poll. Screw the pilgrim turkey shit,
    And even though from the looks of some of those ladies I am sure I will not survive my first Barbados Thanksgiving celebration , I will die wit a smile on my face doing my Barbados patriotic duty.
    Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; 27-11-2020 at 10:33 PM.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Point is we all know about it and how it originated in the 1600s with the first successful harvest which the settlers (pilgrims?) shared with the less fortunate natives of the area.
    point is....


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •