Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Nifty at fifty?

  1. #1
    Isle of Discombobulation
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,790

    Nifty at fifty?

    Anyone on here reckon they are fitter and stronger than they were in their twenties?

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    25-10-2020 @ 06:48 AM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    11,512
    Yeah. Doubt that I'm fitter, tbh. I used to do a lot of sports, running and martial arts in my teens / 20's. In my mid-fifties now though, I eat (and sleep) a lot better these days. I am stronger nowadays from weight training, and wish I'd taken up free weights back in my 20's, tbh.

  3. #3
    The Fool on the Hill bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    นนทบุรี
    Posts
    5,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    reckon they are fitter and stronger than they were in their twenties
    Fitter - No
    Stronger - No
    Smarter - Yes

    I know well the ravages of time on physical fitness. I'm in great shape for my age but honestly running at about 50% using my mid twenties as the yardstick.

  4. #4
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    19,228
    No, definitely not.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:42 PM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,974
    Jeez, I wish I was in my twenties again, but with the experience I now have.

    Fitter and stronger and with better eyesight and utterly fearless...them days are never going to return.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    38,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    Anyone on here reckon they are fitter and stronger than they were in their twenties?
    Fuck and no. Precipitous decline over here.

    Actually maybe there or thereabouts with strength but recovery is measured in terms of days instead of hours.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    69,984
    I have the body of a 20 year old.

    Buried in the garden under the shed.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat Latindancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    13,120
    In my mid sixties, I can do more push-ups in a row than I ever could in my twenties.

    But not pull-ups, though I actually don't even try doing them. Maybe I should go on a routine ?

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,933
    ...nothing's nifty about the fifties except what you've learned and how much is in the bank...tits ricocheting off bellies distended by drink, bald pates and mottled skin are precursors to the sixties and beyond...best not to fight the tide but float along with it to Noi's Soapy Paradise...
    Majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd

  10. #10
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Posts
    29,042
    I am exactly the same weight today as I was when I was 21.

    Don't do weights, running or any other physical exercise and eat what I want when I am hungry.

    I drink a maximum 6 small bottles of beer a day and still smoke too much.

    The fittest part of me is my mind I guess and sleeping early helps.

  11. #11
    Head Skivvie Stacker Storekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PACNORWEST
    Posts
    11,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    Anyone on here reckon they are fitter and stronger than they were in their twenties?
    Negative.

    But hoping my 60s will be physically more like my 30s and 40s.

    Physically my 50s have just been a decade of creeping, continuous weight gain.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Posts
    4,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    I am exactly the same weight today as I was when I was 21.

    Don't do weights, running or any other physical exercise and eat what I want when I am hungry.

    I drink a maximum 6 small bottles of beer a day and still smoke too much.

    The fittest part of me is my mind I guess and sleeping early helps.
    Do you not find that you sleep quite poorly after 5 or 6 beers? I'd be all over the show if that was me.

  13. #13
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Posts
    29,042
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    Do you not find that you sleep quite poorly after 5 or 6 beers? I'd be all over the show if that was me.
    I've been doing this for years Hal and never had a problem sleeping.

    In fact during the lock down with no beer still slept well.

    I guess everyone has a different metabolism.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Posts
    4,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    I've been doing this for years Hal and never had a problem sleeping.

    In fact during the lock down with no beer still slept well.

    I guess everyone has a different metabolism.
    I envy you.

    Beer fucks my sleep right up, and probably the worst is when I just have a few. That's guaranteed to see me awake 3 hours later and staring at the ceiling until I inevitably get sleepy just as the alarm is set to go off.

  15. #15
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Posts
    29,042
    I set myself a daily routine and as follows:

    1. Wake up around 3 in the morning and do my internet and auto-cad design work.

    2. Downstairs at 5.30 am and take the dogs for a walk.

    3. As sun comes up start some manual work around the house or gardens. I am presently building a carport and stairwell to access the bungalow top floor. Going to add 2 bedrooms.

    4. Stop work and shower around 3.00 pm.

    5. Drop into a local pub and have max 4 beers.

    6. At home by 5.00 pm and have 2 more beers, (today 1), have dinner and asleep by 6.00 pm.

    Been doing exactly the same for 2 years now and it seems to work for me.

  16. #16
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    24,492
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    I envy you.

    Beer fucks my sleep right up, and probably the worst is when I just have a few. That's guaranteed to see me awake 3 hours later and staring at the ceiling until I inevitably get sleepy just as the alarm is set to go off.
    Same here. Not with beer as I don't often drink it, but wine or sake. Thought I was the only one.

  17. #17
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    31,217
    Just had a birthday yesterday. My fifties are long gone but I am now better off in many ways.

    In as good or better physical condition.

    Have sufficient income to be able to do what I want, when I want, makes life as good as it can get.

    The older I get the more I find the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

    All in all life is damn good.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    4,150
    Happy belated birthday, ole fella.

  19. #19
    The Bestest Expat Plan B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Location
    Inside your head
    Posts
    5,184
    I'm not in my fifties yet but I'm defo not as fast/strong/balanced as I used to be. On the plus side I can and do often beat youngsters half my age at strength and speed. Mostly because they're lazy crunts that don't train because they don't have to, basterds!
    Dear Anti-vaxers: Enjoy your free trial.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    38,727
    Last night I agreed to dust off the boots and strap up the knees and play rugby at a tournament.

    Sweet Baby Jesus... What have I done!?

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    I set myself a daily routine and as follows:

    1. Wake up around 3 in the morning and do my internet and auto-cad design work.

    2. Downstairs at 5.30 am and take the dogs for a walk.

    3. As sun comes up start some manual work around the house or gardens. I am presently building a carport and stairwell to access the bungalow top floor. Going to add 2 bedrooms.

    4. Stop work and shower around 3.00 pm.

    5. Drop into a local pub and have max 4 beers.

    6. At home by 5.00 pm and have 2 more beers, (today 1), have dinner and asleep by 6.00 pm.

    Been doing exactly the same for 2 years now and it seems to work for me.
    Well done, under that regime you should live forever.

  22. #22
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    24,492
    Now, in my fifties and in my 20s?

    Hardly. With the rarest of exceptions maybe, but no.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Posts
    4,912
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    Same here. Not with beer as I don't often drink it, but wine or sake. Thought I was the only one.
    All alcohol. It fucks your sleep right up and is the same for me if I have a couple of glasses of wine or a few pints. Have a look on t'Interweb about t'effects. I'm surprised LT doesn't feel it.

    I get a better sleep when I'm well pissed, but it's still not great.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •