Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,467

    Would you rate a PhD from Assumption University?

    Asking for a friend...

  2. #2
    Utopian Expat
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,491
    Established in 1969, Assumption University is a private higher education institution located in the urban setting of the metropolis of Bangkok (population range of over 5,000,000 inhabitants). This institution has also branch campuses in the following location(s): Bang Na, Abac City. Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation, Thailand, Assumption University (AU) is a coeducational higher education institution formally affiliated with the Christian-Catholic religion. Assumption University (AU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. See the uniRank degree levels and areas of study matrix below for further details. This 50 years old higher-education institution has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations and students' past academic record and grades. International applicants are eligible to apply for enrollment.

    Probably not, as it's ranked about 2400 in the world.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    36,348
    I'd assume it was a bit shit...







    ...*Boom-tish!*

  4. #4
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Posts
    28,688
    Two of my children attend assumption and based upon my youngest daughter's homework I feel her standard of education is quite high.

    Having said that she does a lot of extra work and is totally committed to learn and that is half of the battle with kids.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    located in the urban setting of the metropolis of Bangkok
    Read about 35 kms out of town and not near any public transport , save, MAYBE the SRT railway to Pattaya.

    So probably OK unless one actually has to got there.

    I believe there is a campus nearer town on Ramkamheang.
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,748
    of course not.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat reinvented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 AM
    Location
    top of soi 2
    Posts
    1,832
    I live just down the road from the Ram campus, its alright area, lots of good ressies
    the other campus is opposite Mega bangna so not too bad

    i don't think its the highest standard, but a PHD is still a commitment, so wouldn't rule it out by any means, i mean its more about your own research isn't it? what you personally put in.
    though i dont have one but might buy one along with a lordship online
    we won it at wemberlee
    we on it in gay paree...

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,782
    Arguably worth it if you intend to be based in Thailand for your entire working life.

    It's so much work that, personally, I wouldn't want the worth of a phd to be minimised by how much money I'd spent on it.





    It's good that LT's daughter's homework looks tough to him though.


  9. #9
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    36,348
    Only thing I know for sure is that a PhD from Assumption would definitely carry with it more weight than any of the 47 Smeg has awarded himself on the topic of 'Thaiophiles'.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Posts
    6,448
    I know many people with a proud degree from a Uni, always showing off their graduation with the funny coat and hat. Mostly they cannot say a full sentence in English. And as of other abilities gained in the Uni...

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondyke View Post
    I know many people with a proud degree from a Uni, always showing off their graduation with the funny coat and hat. Mostly they cannot say a full sentence in English
    You spend half your life trying to find material with which to hammer the (first language) English speaking world.

    Now you're implying that any graduate from anywhere in the world must speak English to have any credibility?

    You seem conflicted.

    That massive chip on your shoulder must be obstructing your view.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Posts
    13,952
    Fine for Thai but worthless otherwise.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:52 PM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    11,257
    It's a Catholic-affiliated. Do they do PhD's in "Guilt?"

  14. #14
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    20,742
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    Would you rate a PhD from Assumption University?
    I guess that depends on what you intend to do with it. As reinvented said, it's more about your commitment and the standard that you set yourself . . . the PhD is just a door-opener for certain areas after that . . . now, if they had a DBA, different story

  15. #15
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,344
    Assumption is not ranked very highly, even just amongst Thai Universities.

    However, one data point is not really enough, I would need to sit down with the person, and get more of a feel for them. Subject area, why there, publications?

    On balance, it is likely that they would be very weak, but they could be OK.

  16. #16
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    18,622
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    I would need to sit down with the person, and get more of a feel for them. Subject area, why there, publications
    I agree with this. It's more about the person than the institution. I know a graduate of Assumption University who is intelligent and doing very well for herself.
    Nev has style

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Posts
    6,448
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    You spend half your life trying to find material with which to hammer the (first language) English speaking world.

    Now you're implying that any graduate from anywhere in the world must speak English to have any credibility?

    You seem conflicted.

    That massive chip on your shoulder must be obstructing your view.
    Waiting on your call, you never disappoint me - always speaking to the matter, not a personal attack ad hominem...

    As a matter of fact, you contradict yourself. I do not expect a Uni graduate (I did not say "from anywhere in the world") to speak so perfectly as myself (or at least like you).

    Not that I would imply that every educated person has to speak English - to enjoy the fruitful discussion with you...

    For the ones who cares for the matter, not for personal attacks:
    From the fact that the English is taught in Thailand already at any lower school - compulsory - how is the ability to learn any other subjects when in the Uni they still cannot say or understand an English word? (or is it by the wrong teaching?)

    Who has a contact with other South East Asians will surely admit that people from any other neighbour country can speak much better - even the ones from Myanmar.

    When seeing sometimes in a foreign TV (English speaking) a talk to Thai educated people (govt or similar), mostly they speak in Thai only, unlike somebody from other countries.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Posts
    6,448
    ^But I have to admit there are also many exceptions that I met during my many years in Thailand, cooperating with people of different walks of life...

  19. #19
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    20,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondyke View Post
    Who has a contact with other South East Asians will surely admit that people from any other neighbour country can speak much better - even the ones from Myanmar.
    You're quite right, Thais seem less capable of communicating in English than anyone else in Asia, even the Japanese and Koreans. Probably quite a few reasons, among which a shabby education system and blind nationalism play a role.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Posts
    6,448
    ^I assume that the long and difficult learning of the Thai writing/reading can be blamed. How much time left for the other things - beside the many ceremonies exercising - what Thailand is No. 1 in.

  21. #21
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    20,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondyke View Post
    I assume that the long and difficult learning of the Thai writing/reading can be blamed
    Any excuse will do, I guess

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Posts
    6,448
    If you ever tried - me many times - so many irregularities, learning characters they will never use (how many K?), not speaking about the vowels, etc. Only this takes some 5 - 7 years for the kids to learn...

  23. #23
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondyke View Post
    If you ever tried - me many times - so many irregularities, learning characters they will never use (how many K?), not speaking about the vowels, etc. Only this takes some 5 - 7 years for the kids to learn...
    And yet Chinese children seem to manage with a language vastly more complicated.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Posts
    17,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondyke View Post
    If you ever tried - me many times - so many irregularities, learning characters they will never use (how many K?), not speaking about the vowels, etc. Only this takes some 5 - 7 years for the kids to learn...
    .
    Bullshit, the Thai's think the same thing about English. Thai kids can produce good written work in first grade, thus negating your argument. My kids did not have trouble with either.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Mandaloopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Location
    ᠮᠣᠩᠭᠣᠯ ᠤᠯᠤᠰ
    Posts
    2,394
    Depends on the research quality, I'd guess. I think getting it published in a reputable journal should be the friends focus rather than the prestige of the uni.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •