Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    R.I.P.

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    02-09-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    Posts
    2,643

    More PC madness.

    Now we are told that 'girls' should not be called girls or 'boys' called boys. I suspect little 'bastards' is out as well.

    UK teachers told to stop calling female students 'girls'

    Teachers in the UK have been told not to call female students ‘girls’ or ‘ladies’ because it reminds them of their gender.

    Natasha Devon, a former government health advisor, told the Girls’ School Association’s annual conference in Manchester, “never walk into a room in an all girl’s school and say girls or ladies” because it is “patronising”.
    “I don’t think it is useful to be constantly reminded of your gender all the time and all the stereotypes that go with it,” she continued.

    Devon also feels the same applies for boys and suggested teachers use gender-neutral terms such as “pupils”, “students” or “people”.
    “I actually think in some ways boys are more constrained by the expectation of their gender,” she said.

    “And whilst that is being challenged and changed I don’t think it’s helpful to keep saying ‘girls, girls, boys, boys’, because there is so much implication that potentially goes with that.”

    Devon believes using the term ‘girls’ can imply pressure for perfection, resulting in anxiety.

    Using the term ‘boys’, she feels, implies “being macho, not talking about your feelings, being told to man up”.

    “If your narrative is saying girls don’t get angry, or boys don’t cry, or girls aren’t allowed to do this, or boys aren’t allowed to do this, then that is
    potentially going to have an impact on your well-being.

    “So I hope that in taking away the negative stereotypes associated with gender, we can ultimately improve their mental health.”
    UK teachers told to stop calling female students 'girls'

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Posts
    5,372
    I was in education for 40 years and it's become a mine field, particularly for a bloke.

    The insidious introduction of so called PC ideals, generally promulgated by one off egotistical lunatics has destroyed the profession of 'teacher" in the UK (and, in my personal experience in Europe and Australia) to the extent that no one, but no one, with any intelligence would want to enter the profession.
    Hence the lack of teachers, the lack of quality teachers, and the total degradation of the education system.

    Plus of course the assumption that's come about over the last decade or two that parents know best.
    Most parents know fuck all about anything very much and they certainly don't know how to educate children.

    It's a tragedy and a fuck up that will continue to develop and swell the "have vs have not" society in which we live.

    Parenthood is seen as an "add on" to life. The priority is the job, the income, the career. Kids, stick them into kindi from the age of 1.
    Let the teachers look after them until they're manageable at home and we'll drag them out when needed to prove the status of our benefits claim or to show them off to other career focused millennials.

    Soap box.

    Rant over.

    For the time being.

    carry on.
    42

  3. #3
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    6,925
    The lengths that some cultures will take to cast themselves as developed and civilised.

    Overthinking most everything.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    reddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Posts
    1,224
    Natasha Devon, a former government health advisor,
    ^
    would like to see a photo of this busybody,what a annoying dill sprouting shit.
    Trouble is if you work with these PC obsessed clowns and you tell them to fuck off when they want to lay down their version of the law,
    you are told you need counselling because you have hurt their feelings.
    I think a lot of these women just need to get pissed and have a good root,but the PC men,softcocks to a man,need to be continually told to fuck off.


  5. #5
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Posts
    17,600
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog View Post
    I would like to see a photo of this busybody
    Click on the link.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Posts
    5,372







    This was the commentary on the the YT clip above;

    In August 2015 Natasha Devon MBE was appointed the government’s first ever Mental Health Champion for Schools, advising the Department for Education on children’s mental well being. In March 2016, having conducted extensive research into the causes of poor mental health in young people, she made a speech at a conference in which she argued that the government could not divorce mental health from wider social issues such as poverty and the health system. In April 2016 she described how a rigorous culture of testing and academic pressure was causing anxiety in young people. In May 2016 she was sacked from her role, with a source close to the DfE claiming she was ‘out of control’. The newspapers reported that she was fired for ‘speaking truth to power’. What really happened? And what is the society we have created doing to young people’s minds?Natasha Devon MBE is a writer, campaigner & television pundit. She is founder of the Self Esteem Team & the Body Gossip Education Programme, both working in schools to help teenagers, their parents and teachers with mental health & body image issues. To date, her award-winning classes have been delivered to more than 60,000 teenagers across the UK. This year, the Sunday Times and Debrett’s named Natasha one of the 20 most influential people in British Education.


    N.B. This bit;

    In April 2016 she described how a rigorous culture of testing and academic pressure was causing anxiety in young people. In May 2016 she was sacked from her role, with a source close to the DfE claiming she was ‘out of control’. The newspapers reported that she was fired for ‘speaking truth to power’.
    Last edited by crackerjack101; 24-11-2017 at 07:58 PM.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,837
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog View Post
    Natasha Devon, a suppressed lesbian with sexual hangups and a distinctly odd outlook on life...
    FTFY.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,837
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101 View Post







    This was the commentary on the the YT clip above;

    In August 2015 Natasha Devon MBE was appointed the government’s first ever Mental Health Champion for Schools, advising the Department for Education on children’s mental well being. In March 2016, having conducted extensive research into the causes of poor mental health in young people, she made a speech at a conference in which she argued that the government could not divorce mental health from wider social issues such as poverty and the health system. In April 2016 she described how a rigorous culture of testing and academic pressure was causing anxiety in young people. In May 2016 she was sacked from her role, with a source close to the DfE claiming she was ‘out of control’. The newspapers reported that she was fired for ‘speaking truth to power’. What really happened? And what is the society we have created doing to young people’s minds?Natasha Devon MBE is a writer, campaigner & television pundit. She is founder of the Self Esteem Team & the Body Gossip Education Programme, both working in schools to help teenagers, their parents and teachers with mental health & body image issues. To date, her award-winning classes have been delivered to more than 60,000 teenagers across the UK. This year, the Sunday Times and Debrett’s named Natasha one of the 20 most influential people in British Education.
    To be fair, she actually sounds fairly reasonable and sane in that interview.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Posts
    5,372
    I agree.
    And then;






  10. #10
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    It's not "PC madness", I tend to agree with her reasoning. All part of the awareness-raising in the teaching profession - all good, it's not prescriptive, she is an advisor.

    Why all the angst and outrage?

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    9,246
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    It's not "PC madness", I tend to agree with her reasoning.
    All part of the awareness-raising in the teaching profession - all good, it's not prescriptive, she is an advisor.

    Why all the angst and outrage?
    I can't agree with you on this.

    Being Male and being Female are logical identifiers for who we are*.

    As a Father I feel proud when I say 'our boys' when referring to the 2 children we have been blessed with.
    Sure, I use other descriptive terms, some which I simply mutter to myself when they are misbehaving.

    The push for the ideology where we, the human race, are identified as a homogeneous society is not a desired
    evolutionary philosophical process. It removes a little of essence of what makes us 'human'.


    * But not limited to binary gender identifiers

    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

    .

  12. #12
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by birding View Post
    Natasha Devon, a former government health advisor, told the Girls’ School Association’s annual conference in Manchester, “never walk into a room in an all girl’s school and say girls or ladies” because it is “patronising”.
    How is that "teachers being told" what to do? You twats fall for this shit every time!

  13. #13
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    07-08-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Location
    Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    74
    And now the Girl Guides of America are advising parents not to encourage their daughters to hug grandparents and other family members over the Thanksgiving holiday because it apparently sends the wrong message.

    Fucking crazy, ,eh.

    If this continues unchecked I predict the end of human life (as we know it)

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Posts
    17,600
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    How is that "teachers being told" what to do? You twats fall for this shit every time!


    Notice also the complete nonentity of a job description.

    Still, she's in the limelight for a while...surely the Daily Mail will be on this like a rash before it's time for the 'Christmas banned!' stories.

  15. #15
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Being Male and being Female are logical identifiers for who we are*.
    Of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    As a Father I feel proud when I say 'our boys' when referring to the 2 children we have been blessed with.
    That's not a schooling situation where expectations are set. Nobody suggested boys & girls should never be addressed as such.

    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    The push for the ideology where we, the human race, are identified as a homogeneous society is not a desired
    evolutionary philosophical process. It removes a little of essence of what makes us 'human'.
    Where did you get that nonsense from?

  16. #16
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    How is that "teachers being told" what to do? You twats fall for this shit every time!
    Yes, they do.
    It's what makes the forum experience 'special' after a drink or two - good entertainment laughing at them after a day's work.

  17. #17
    R.I.P.

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    02-09-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    Posts
    2,643
    Yet more of the same :

    Swansea City and Bournemouth will be the first Premier League clubs to offer their transgender and non-binary supporters a gender-neutral title prefix.

    Coinciding with Saturday’s designated LGBT fixture, the Swans and opponents Bournemouth are pleased to be able to offer supporters the option of using the ‘Mx’ title, should they not wish to be identified by traditional gender categories
    .

    The ‘Mx’ title, which is pronounced ‘Mix’ or ‘Mux’, is available for all transgender and intersex people, as well as people who don’t identify with one particular gender or don’t want to be identified as being male or female.


    “As a club, we’re continually looking at ways to make our services more inclusive,” said the Swans' equality and diversity manager Lucy Norman.


    “Language plays a really important part in delivering this and ensuring that everyone feels welcome – regardless of age, gender or gender identity, sexuality or ethnicity.”


    Bournemouth general manager Liz Finney added: “We’re pleased to have been able to work with Swansea City on realising this goal and making football a more inclusive environment to be enjoyed by everyone.”
    The ‘Mx’ title will be rolled out across all major points of service with the Swans, including ticket and merchandise purchases, enabling new customers to opt for their preference.


    Alternatively, for those wishing to change an existing account to the ‘Mx’ prefix, supporters can do so by simply visiting the ticket office or by calling on 08448 156 665.


    https://www.swanseacity.com/news/swa...neutral-prefix

  18. #18
    R.I.P.

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    02-09-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    Posts
    2,643
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    How is that "teachers being told" what to do? You twats fall for this shit every time!
    Try reading the quote you posted, slowly if need be.
    I will quote it again for you:

    Natasha Devon, a former government health advisor, told the Girls’ School Association’s annual conference in Manchester, “never walk into a room in an all girl’s school and say girls or ladies” because it is “patronising”.
    There you go she TOLD them what never to do and later in the OP she has TOLD them what they should do, according to her, a former advisor.

    And an association of girls schools would consist of school teachers and administrators who if not teachers would have control over teachers so either directly or by extension she, or it, is telling the teachers what to do.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,093
    Nice PC trophy seeking a couple of days ago, when a mother called on her child's school to remove Snow White from the curriculum because the prince kisses her without her consent. Apparently this may encourage 5-6 year old boys to sexually assault girls.

  20. #20
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by birding View Post
    Try reading the quote you posted, slowly if need be.
    I will quote it again for you:



    There you go she TOLD them what never to do and later in the OP she has TOLD them what they should do, according to her, a former advisor.

    And an association of girls schools would consist of school teachers and administrators who if not teachers would have control over teachers so either directly or by extension she, or it, is telling the teachers what to do.
    Your depressing inability to understand the import of a headline would be astounding if it weren't so common.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    Latindancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    12,001
    The Australian cartoonist Bill Leak called political correctness “a poison that attacks the sense of humour”.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,837
    ^ His cartoons could be quite offensive generalisations though.

  23. #23
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by birding View Post
    Try reading the quote you posted, slowly if need be.
    I will quote it again for you:



    There you go she TOLD them what never to do and later in the OP she has TOLD them what they should do, according to her, a former advisor.

    And an association of girls schools would consist of school teachers and administrators who if not teachers would have control over teachers so either directly or by extension she, or it, is telling the teachers what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Latindancer View Post
    The Australian cartoonist Bill Leak called political correctness “a poison that attacks the sense of humour”.
    Looking at the shite he churns out I can see why he'd say that.

  24. #24
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by birding View Post
    No, it's not, you've worked yourself up into a frenzy.
    It's about giving transgender people the option of being addressed as "Mx" in a Premier League club. Do you object to that as well?



    Take a chill pill.

  25. #25
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    23-09-2019 @ 12:47 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,447
    Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson View Post
    And now the Girl Guides of America are advising parents not to encourage their daughters to hug grandparents and other family members over the Thanksgiving holiday because it apparently sends the wrong message.

    Fucking crazy, ,eh.

    If this continues unchecked I predict the end of human life (as we know it)
    The "Gender Fluid Guides", surely? (it sounds so icky... but then again so much within the world of "diversity" does).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •