Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40
  1. #26
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    06-09-2020 @ 10:42 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    It's like a blue book, but yellow. (Blue book = house book for Thais - tabien baan - ทะเบียนบ้าน)
    It's not like the blue book IT IS the 'blue' book for foreigners, it's just yellow. It's called not surprisingly a ทะเบียนบ้านสีเหลือง <-yellow house book

    The only people who can be listed in the blue colored house book are thais, half-thais, foreigners with permanent residence status or ones who also hold thai citizenship. for everyone else it's the yellow book.

    Other than some places taking it as proof of residence and it being part of the criteria to get that i/d card for normal foreigners, it's worthless as tits on a tomcat.

  2. #27
    Thailand Expat
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Posts
    5,087
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels
    The only people who can be listed in the blue colored house book are thais, half-thais, foreigners with permanent residence status or ones who also hold thai citizenship. for everyone else it's the yellow book
    100% agree, but found something weird the other day when I needed to photocopy the missus's blue book a little while back.

    Went through the pages and saw that my name was in there printed on the pages where the kids were registered. I take it that I'm on there as just the name of the father?
    Black diamonds? I shit 'em.

  3. #28
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    04-04-2018 @ 09:53 AM
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    It's like a blue book, but yellow. (Blue book = house book for Thais - tabien baan - ทะเบียนบ้าน)
    It's not like the blue book IT IS the 'blue' book for foreigners, it's just yellow. It's called not surprisingly a ทะเบียนบ้านสีเหลือง <-yellow house book

    The only people who can be listed in the blue colored house book are thais, half-thais, foreigners with permanent residence status or ones who also hold thai citizenship. for everyone else it's the yellow book.

    Other than some places taking it as proof of residence and it being part of the criteria to get that i/d card for normal foreigners, it's worthless as tits on a tomcat.
    What utter rubbish, they are very useful, registering car or bike in your name, opening bank accounts, renewing extensions of visa, I use mine all the time invaluable.

  4. #29
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,169
    ^
    I have done all the things you mentioned without a yellow book, so it is not as invaluable as you state.

  5. #30
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    04-04-2018 @ 09:53 AM
    Posts
    655
    I don't care it is invaluable to me, no need to go to embassy/immigration for proof of address, worth it just for that. and renew driving licence , the list goes on.

  6. #31
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    06-09-2020 @ 10:42 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by mykthemin View Post
    I don't care it is invaluable to me, no need to go to embassy/immigration for proof of address, worth it just for that. and renew driving licence , the list goes on.
    I think you're gonna find it's only accepted at certain offices.

    FWIW: I had someone kicked back at the DLT holding the chanote on a condo, an empty blue book AND a yellow book with his name in it when he tried to use it as proof of residence to get a new 5 year d/l license.

  7. #32
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    14-05-2017 @ 03:18 AM
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    If those guys were tapped for a 20,000 fee you can be assured that their applications did not meet the published criteria contained in the Police Acts etc.

    Only a fucking idiot would pay that if his application was otherwise sound.

    Your information is hearsay, and in the context of expats in Thailand gossiping in bars, obviously bollocks.

    Take a word of advice, this ain't Thaivisa, so keep your crap to yourself.

    Anyway why the fuck would a signature of a consular official certifying an income letter issued on embassy letter headed paper bearing a consular endorsement need verification?
    You pretty much nailed it.

    When I lived in Thailand, I renewed my retirement extension 10 times my self- and never used an agent. I had to return to the US for a year to help with the parents and restarted the process from scratch. Again no problems.

    Some guys compare Immigration and visas with quantum physics. Only a genius could renew a visa extension on their own.

    Oh well, their money I guess...

  8. #33
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    04-04-2018 @ 09:53 AM
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mykthemin View Post
    I don't care it is invaluable to me, no need to go to embassy/immigration for proof of address, worth it just for that. and renew driving licence , the list goes on.
    I think you're gonna find it's only accepted at certain offices.

    FWIW: I had someone kicked back at the DLT holding the chanote on a condo, an empty blue book AND a yellow book with his name in it when he tried to use it as proof of residence to get a new 5 year d/l license.
    It works every where here in Loei.

  9. #34
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,170
    Quote Originally Posted by mykthemin
    I don't care it is invaluable to me, no need to go to embassy/immigration for proof of address, worth it just for that. and renew driving licence , the list goes on.
    The first post, and worded so nicely.



    Quote Originally Posted by mykthemin
    It works every where here in Loei.
    The fact, it works in one Changwat that you know of. Post the second post the first time. Seems much more logical.

  10. #35
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    04-04-2018 @ 09:53 AM
    Posts
    655
    What???? that is where I live so have no need to use it any where else, worth its weight in gold and was free.

  11. #36
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Posts
    14,617
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    I googled around some and found reports from the middle of last year where some of the rogue immigration offices (of which Jomtien definitely is) were asking for an MFA stamp on the consulate notary letter.
    Just wanted to update from the horse's mouth vis-a-vis Jomtien immigration office.

    Three retirement extensions were obtained this week by acquaintances of mine and in no case were they asked to obtain an MFA verification of their embassy income letters.

    Of course this is no guide to future performance but I have to say from my experience, if one fulfils the established listed criteria for whichever category of application then Jomtien plays a straight bat every time.

    The only difference that seems to have occurred this year is that the bank letter confirming the balance of one's account for those qualifying using the lump sum route must now be dated within three days of the application and not seven days as was the previous requirement.

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,169
    It all varies from one immigration officer to another, at least that has been my experience regarding many things here in Udon. Consistancy is not a strong point when it comes to visa requirements.

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    06-09-2020 @ 10:42 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    Three retirement extensions were obtained this week by acquaintances of mine and in no case were they asked to obtain an MFA verification of their embassy income letters.

    The only difference that seems to have occurred this year is that the bank letter confirming the balance of one's account for those qualifying using the lump sum route must now be dated within three days of the application and not seven days as was the previous requirement.
    Good to know!

    Yeah, I've read of other immigration offices making up rules about the bank letter's validity too. In reality it's good for 7 days. I've got the official thai version stating it somewhere on my p/c.

    At least in Bangkok in addition to the bank letter, they also make you update your bankbook to show the balance on the day you're turning in your application. They do that to prove you didn't get the bank letter, update your bank book then pull the money right out.

    Thanx for the update

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Posts
    14,617
    Incidentally, I think I have discovered the origin of the alleged MFA verification requirement of income letters from embassies. I'm not sure if it is anything that actually relates to the Immigration HQ or is an interpretation of some office or other acting on its own initiative, but it seems that the MFA verification might be required when one makes their FIRST application for a retirement extension and thereafter it is not required.

    I got this from Pattaya's PCEC website - of the two expat clubs here that one is the best for visa/extension info relating to Jometien's practice and procedures and is usually accurate.

    And yes, I remember that nonsense about the bank book on my last trip to Chaeng Wattana - I was so irked by the stupidity of it I couldn't help but being sarcastic to the old biddy doing my application. She got quite stroppy and demanded that I get it updated, my bank letter was dated the day before, or she wouldn't issue the extension. Luckily, there are any number of banks there and I pulled a balance which was identical to the bank book. Just a fucking hoop for the farang dog to jump through.
    Last edited by Seekingasylum; 24-03-2017 at 02:58 PM.

  15. #40
    Member
    tamadah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    15-01-2019 @ 04:07 PM
    Location
    Nakhon Nowhere
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    Incidentally, I think I have discovered the origin of the alleged MFA verification requirement of income letters from embassies. I'm not sure if it is anything that actually relates to the Immigration HQ or is an interpretation of some office or other acting on its own initiative, but it seems that the MFA verification might be required when one makes their FIRST application for a retirement extension and thereafter it is not required.

    I got this from Pattaya's PCEC website - of the two expat clubs here that one is the best for visa/extension info relating to Jometien's practice and procedures and is usually accurate.

    And yes, I remember that nonsense about the bank book on my last trip to Chaeng Wattana - I was so irked by the stupidity of it I couldn't help but being sarcastic to the old biddy doing my application. She got quite stroppy and demanded that I get it updated, my bank letter was dated the day before, or she wouldn't issue the extension. Luckily, there are any number of banks there and I pulled a balance which was identical to the bank book. Just a fucking hoop for the farang dog to jump through.
    Bit of a past its sell-by thread but since a few impoverished long-stayers started faking their 'income letters' a few years ago, some Immigration offices started asking for the MFA certification. Some insist on it. The MFA has a record of the current foreign consular signatories so if one tried to submit a 'letter' with the nom de plume of someone who was no longer in the Kingdom, you didn't get it chopped and you were shit out of luck.

    AS for the more recent Jomtien experiences, since the IO can ask for extra provenance, some IO's asking certain, random applicants to go get the MFA 'chop' isn't too far fetched.

    However, and this isn't anecdotal or otherwise heard on a barstool, in spring 2018, a Jomtien IO did bald-faced demand 20,000 baht from my friend when he was filing his 4th consecutive retirement extension at Jomtien. He was providing proof of income in the same format that was accepted without question the previous 4 years. This time he was told that he needed the income affidavit stamped by MFA or, he could just pay them 20,000 baht right there and then and they would accept it as-is. When he questioned this, a rather heated debate ensued with the upshot being that regardless if he did go to Bangkok and get the stamp, he STILL had to pay them 20,000 baht. This we surmised was for him calling them on their scam but probably as far as they were concerned it was for him being a dickhead (and calling them on their scam).

    Luckily he was filing a week early due to a work commitment. He had the condo in Pattaya in his name but his wife had recently bought a home up in Udon where she was born. After a quick check with me and making sure his wife had all her paperwork in place, he flew up to Udon and filed his fifth extension (first in Udon) and was in and out in 20 minutes.

    Ever since Jomtien started the arbitrary fining of people over the TM30 malarkey and built their nice, new, air-conditioned TM30 fine collection office from the proceeds, they have been guilty of being a bit less less chummy. However, they are still streets ahead of that farcical operation up in Chiang Mai and we can only hope it stays that way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stick with me doll and you'll wear diamonds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •