Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964

    Round and around they go..Rice subsidy again!

    Rice Subsidy Returns: Gov?t Approves 20 Billion Baht For Farmers | Khaosod English

    ' Prayuth ordered the market be monitored for any attempted disruption or manipulation.'..5555

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    ..ain't no economist but perhaps government subsidies are by definition manipulating the market?

    Been a few subsidies that the wife has spent hours applying for over the years...not heard of any farmers hereabouts that have ever received a single satang!

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,174
    Political rhetoric, or better known as smoke and mirrors.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    ^^^
    Got it in one mate!

    If the Thai government really gave a shit, knowing full well ( more recent form filling hereabouts) who the hurting farmers are. They could mail out cheques.. commensurate with total rai farmed to those in real need thus circumventing the trough feeding entrepreneurs.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,824
    Why just rice farmers? Many farmers, cassava mainly, are going through shit times as well. Currently cassava is fetching 1.2ish Baht per kilo at the merchants door. Then 10% is detected for dirt and moisture. And then I assume tax to be deducted. Surely this cannot go on?

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 11:20 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    2,561
    ^ Speaking from firsthand experience, the farmers usually get the loose change.

    I wonder who gets the big chunk.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by GracelessFawn
    ^ Speaking from firsthand experience, the farmers usually get the loose change. I wonder who gets the big chunk.
    That's not loose change. That's an insult from the Hi-So's, who I'd imagine control the prices.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    28-11-2019 @ 11:41 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    4,583
    There won't be an election next year for sure.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 11:20 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GracelessFawn
    ^ Speaking from firsthand experience, the farmers usually get the loose change. I wonder who gets the big chunk.
    That's not loose change. That's an insult from the Hi-So's, who I'd imagine control the prices.
    Yeah, like a big ole wallop on the back!

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:44 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,338
    Yep, middlemen get all the money. Guess who started the rice pledge so he/they could pry away control of this lucrative trade. He/they then went on to million dollar rice trades in Dubai

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    15-11-2019 @ 10:19 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,744
    Got to say, really don't have a lot of time for the complaining poor rice farmers, round here they do one crop a year, plant and harvest, 2 months work.
    Now most of the harvesting is done by machine, so one month of work, 11 months of hammock, it's called subsistence farming for a reason.

    You keep your years supply of rice to feed you and sell the rest, then complain how poor you are while laying around drinking Lao Kow.

    Some enterprising locals go and get jobs, but most don't, not worth the effort, worlds changed, small farming is finished and the government would be better spending the money preparing the farmers for what's coming.

    Living a 100 year old life style, no money or employment are the options, rice farmers can not compete on a world stage with 10 or 20 rai of land.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Auroria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescollister View Post
    Now most of the harvesting is done by machine, so one month of work, 11 months of hammock,
    For those 11 months round here they all become expert professional mechanics, plumbers, electricians. At least whenever there's something wrong with our house.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Auroria
    For those 11 months round here they all become expert professional mechanics, plumbers, electricians. At least whenever there's something wrong with our house.
    I agree. Professional (?) Rice farming has never IMO been an only job. It's more of a hobby to small farmers.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    Political rhetoric, or better known as smoke and mirrors.
    Creating dependency and control...

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    28-11-2019 @ 11:41 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    4,583
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescollister View Post
    Got to say, really don't have a lot of time for the complaining poor rice farmers, round here they do one crop a year, plant and harvest, 2 months work.
    Now most of the harvesting is done by machine, so one month of work, 11 months of hammock, it's called subsistence farming for a reason.

    You keep your years supply of rice to feed you and sell the rest, then complain how poor you are while laying around drinking Lao Kow.

    Some enterprising locals go and get jobs, but most don't, not worth the effort, worlds changed, small farming is finished and the government would be better spending the money preparing the farmers for what's coming.

    Living a 100 year old life style, no money or employment are the options, rice farmers can not compete on a world stage with 10 or 20 rai of land.
    pity they don't realise that themselves,there in for big surprises in the future.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    15-11-2019 @ 10:19 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    pity they don't realise that themselves,there in for big surprises in the future.
    All ready happening, most younger men have gone to jobs in the cities, or round here to prison, illegal logging and drug smuggling over the border.
    Many now sprinkle plant rice and machine harvest, few days ago watched some people hand harvesting, all women and none under 40 years old.

    Small scale rice farming will be gone, in not too many years, just can't pay the bills, buy cars or M/C on the return.

    When I first came here, no electricity, buffaloes were under every hut, tractors have replaced them and TV showed a better life in the cities.
    Pace of change, 200 years in the west [industrial revolution] Thailand 20/30 years, it's the old that hang on to the old ways.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    28-11-2019 @ 11:41 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    4,583
    James did the Rubber subsidy scheme get approval.?

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    02-12-2019 @ 07:39 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,811
    Well at least the Generals can afford to pay for the losses. I suppose that is a matter for tomorrows rigged 'justice' system.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    15-11-2019 @ 10:19 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    James did the Rubber subsidy scheme get approval.?
    Which scheme, been a few over the last few years, none make any difference.
    Reality government takes 5 Baht a kilo export tax, I produce about 8,000 kilos a month, that's 40,000 Bah export tax.
    Fertilizer subsidy, paid twice, 15,000 and 20,000 since 2009, hand outs looks good, but no government, east or west ever cuts taxes.

    5 Baht is not much at 100 baht a kilo, but at 20 baht a kilo, it's 25% tax, billion dollars of export industry will die in the end.

  20. #20
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,496
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas
    not heard of any farmers hereabouts that have ever received a single satang!
    Got 10,000 baht just last week. Won't get anything from the latest subsidy because we won't be selling any rice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic
    Why just rice farmers?
    By far the largest group of "farmers". Government simply keeping the majority happy. Nothing new in guaranteed price for rice. Last government paid farmers 50% more than market price and are currently in court charged with corruption and personal monetary liability. Current good and wise people government has gone one better. Paying 110% over market price.

    The head goose and her flock of the last gov are being cooked while the head gander of the current gov and his flock will never see the inside of a courtroom.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    28-11-2019 @ 11:41 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    4,583
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescollister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    James did the Rubber subsidy scheme get approval.?
    Which scheme, been a few over the last few years, none make any difference.
    Reality government takes 5 Baht a kilo export tax, I produce about 8,000 kilos a month, that's 40,000 Bah export tax.
    Fertilizer subsidy, paid twice, 15,000 and 20,000 since 2009, hand outs looks good, but no government, east or west ever cuts taxes.

    5 Baht is not much at 100 baht a kilo, but at 20 baht a kilo, it's 25% tax, billion dollars of export industry will die in the end.
    The one Suthep was pushing for, as a thank you for the support of the southern farmers.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    15-11-2019 @ 10:19 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    The one Suthep was pushing for, as a thank you for the support of the southern farmers.
    Think that one was the government was going to buy and stock pile rubber to force prices up, Thailand, Malaysia etc were all in the deal.
    What really happened is prices went down on the free market as the big buyers China etc, knew that those stockpiles, would have to be sold within 12 months.

    Big buyers, buy on contract on the futures market, then used their warehoused stocks, until the stock piling countries had to sell before the rubber went bad.

    Maybe 1 mil tonnes came on the market at bargain basement prices and that depressed the local prices even more.

    Government should just stay out, they can't force buyers to pay more, free market and all that stuff.
    Think of it this way, country sells oil, they aren't making enough money, so the double the price, buyers go elsewhere.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by GracelessFawn View Post
    ^ Speaking from firsthand experience, the farmers usually get the loose change.

    I wonder who gets the big chunk.

    Have a guess....


  24. #24

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    28-11-2019 @ 11:41 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    4,583
    How dare they say that.

    Its all being done in the name of reconcilation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •