Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964

    Thai military intestinal fortitude??

    Thai military intestinal fortitude?
    If a foreign power decided to invade Thailand, would the Mr P Fuehrer run away with all his sycophants emulating the heroic MacArthur of the Philippines, March 1942?

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Sumocakewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    nyukville
    Posts
    3,033
    Do you mean would he travel for two days through stormy seas patrolled by warships, reaching Mindanao and from there fly to Australia, ultimately arriving in Melbourne and on the occasion give a famous speech in which he will declare, "I came through and I shall return"?

    Nah, I doubt it.



















    Douglas MacArthur's escape from the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  3. #3
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Location
    Ex-Pat Refugee in Thailand
    Posts
    9,579
    A truly wise leader would have stashed all his finances in a very secure off-shore account prior to "lift off." If the invader was a relative then he could possibly remain in pseudo citizen status, however he would never reveal his off-shore accounts or relinquish his private Lear jet sitting in the hanger nearby, fueled up and ready to go on a moments notice.

    Remember Edi Amen? Lived out this days in Saudi Arabia along with his wives and money...Scottish wasn't he?

  4. #4
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,525
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnt
    Scottish wasn't he
    The last in a long line of great kings.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Comparatives don't stand...

    Even our disconnected and ruthless leader has a higher character than that of Douglas MacArthur.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,174
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnt View Post
    A truly wise leader would have stashed all his finances in a very secure off-shore account prior to "lift off." If the invader was a relative then he could possibly remain in pseudo citizen status, however he would never reveal his off-shore accounts or relinquish his private Lear jet sitting in the hanger nearby, fueled up and ready to go on a moments notice.

    Remember Edi Amen? Lived out this days in Saudi Arabia along with his wives and money...Scottish wasn't he?
    Didn't he die from syphilis?

  7. #7
    How Dare You!!
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:58 PM
    Posts
    12,144
    ^MacArthur died of Cirrhosis (sounds similar!)

    Seemed to be a hero in Korea when I visited the museums there.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Sumocakewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    nyukville
    Posts
    3,033
    ^^ Idi Amin may have died from kidney failure according to wikipedia. There was speculation that eratic behaviour was either the result of long-term syphilis of the brain or possibly undiagnosed and untreated bipolar disorder.


    Idi Amin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  9. #9
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,807
    they ran away and left their weapons when the cambos stepped over the border a year or so ago

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat klong toey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    20-11-2019 @ 08:06 PM
    Posts
    6,074
    Show great bravery when dealing with unarmed civilians.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Comparatives don't stand...

    Even our disconnected and ruthless leader has a higher character than that of Douglas MacArthur.
    Agree no comparison ...........doubt your esteemed Mr P would get within 500km of a war zone..probably still award himself a dozen campaign medals though.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumocakewalk View Post
    ^^ Idi Amin may have died from kidney failure according to wikipedia. There was speculation that eratic behaviour was either the result of long-term syphilis of the brain or possibly undiagnosed and untreated bipolar disorder.


    Idi Amin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Kidney failure is one of the many sequelae of syphilis.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3826066
    http://cmr.asm.org/content/12/2/187.full
    http://m.jasn.asnjournals.org/content/3/7/1351.abstract
    Last edited by rickschoppers; 20-05-2015 at 08:56 AM.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Thai military intestinal fortitude?
    If a foreign power decided to invade Thailand, would the Mr P Fuehrer run away with all his sycophants emulating the heroic MacArthur of the Philippines, March 1942?
    My old man who was captured on the island of Corregidor and went thru the Bataan Death March told me all the boys he served with referred to McArthur as "Dug Out Dug"

    Not in any positive terms either...

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    14-05-2017 @ 03:18 AM
    Posts
    1,031
    MacArthur was ordered to leave the Philippines by President Roosevelt. He was many things- but not a coward...

    With respect to the Thai military, they do excel at shooting civilians.

  15. #15
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    14-08-2015 @ 05:39 PM
    Location
    Ex-Pat Refugee in Thailand
    Posts
    9,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot
    He was many things
    Yes he helped Pershing clear the grounds in front of the White House during a protest by Veterans asking for service related payments...pretty brutal accounts from what I've read...MacArthur was a professional snob, family ownership of many Philippine businesses including part of San Miguel Brewery's. born into a silver spoon as his father was the US appointed Governor General of the P.I..

    The Japs cried as he left Japan on his farewell tour back to the USA...he was their new Emperor, WTF?

    I can only compare him to Westmoreland who flew back and forth to the Philippines almost weekly to stay in his comfortable home there during his tenure as CIC in Vietnam. When not visiting his family most evenings he could be found snuggling up with his Viet G/F.

    I can remember getting orders from Saigon to rake the sand on the jeep route that he was to take on his visit to our area...yup, that made perfect sense...I think he preferred the cocktail circuit to actually having to soldier along with the rest of us.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    MacArthur was ordered to leave the Philippines by President Roosevelt. He was many things- but not a coward...
    You'll never know, since he never saw combat or similar situations.

    Have a good look at his early and late personal history and you'll become aware of his real character and worth as a human being.

    Yes, he was many things - all negative and dark.

    Nothing worse than a looney-tune militaristic apologist.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    MacArthur was ordered to leave the Philippines by President Roosevelt. He was many things- but not a coward...
    You'll never know, since he never saw combat or similar situations.

    Have a good look at his early and late personal history and you'll become aware of his real character and worth as a human being.

    Yes, he was many things - all negative and dark.

    Nothing worse than a looney-tune militaristic apologist.
    And his men wern't too happy with the arogant MF.
    A Deplorable Bitter Clinger

  18. #18
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee
    And his men wern't too happy with the arogant MF.
    Truman had the same opinion. Fired the arrogant ass.

  19. #19
    lob
    lob is offline
    Thailand Expat
    lob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Thai military intestinal fortitude?
    If a foreign power decided to invade Thailand, would the Mr P Fuehrer run away with all his sycophants emulating the heroic MacArthur of the Philippines, March 1942?
    they'd do exactly wot they did when the japs invaded, fuck orf out the way. probably declare war on us and uk too. lol

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by lob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    Thai military intestinal fortitude?
    If a foreign power decided to invade Thailand, would the Mr P Fuehrer run away with all his sycophants emulating the heroic MacArthur of the Philippines, March 1942?
    they'd do exactly wot they did when the japs invaded, fuck orf out the way. probably declare war on us and uk too. lol
    Not really.

    We'd see those B52 Stratfortresses and B1 Bombers boogying on over from Nellis AFB straight to U-Tapao.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •