Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat Black Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Planet Cylon
    Posts
    3,021

    History's 10 Most Accomplished Drunks

    All of these lists are subjective - so! - add your own or feel free to disagree.

    Here is someone's top ten. Now I know that even though I'm a boozer, I can suceed!


    By Sean Braswell Follow @seanbraswell
    While many of us have put back a few on occasion, it takes a special man or woman to hold a drink while holding down a hugely demanding job. OZY takes a look back at history’s 10 most functional boozehounds.

    10. The Queen Mother
    The late mother of Queen Elizabeth II is rumored to have consumed a bottle of gin a day, but that did not stop her from performing public duties until the ripe old age of 101. Once, while growing impatient for a gin and tonic, she is reported to have asked the members of her largely gay personal staff, “When one of you old queens has finished, can you bring this old queen a drink?”


    9. William Faulkner
    The great American writer was fond of saying that “civilization begins with distillation,” a motto he adhered to closely. He was also fond of hot toddies and whiskey. “I usually write at night,” he once said. “I always keep my whiskey within reach.”

    8. Bette Davis
    One of Hollywood’s greatest leading ladies, Davis enjoyed a career that spanned seven decades. The actress was known for her wit, strong personality and affection for a good drink. And as she got older, the cocktail hour got younger, eventually settling into a comfortable spot right after lunch.

    7. W.C. Fields
    The legendary comedian and film star of the 1930s was also a legendary drunk. Fields kept a martini-filled flask on hand whenever he was on a film set; he referred to it as his “lemonade.” One story goes that someone once poured actual lemonade into the actor’s flask, prompting Fields to holler, “Who put lemonade in my lemonade?”

    6. Alexander the Great
    Alexander of Macedon managed to conquer most of the known world — either in spite or because of a prodigious appetite for the hard stuff — by his death at age 32 in 323 B.C. Alexander is rumored to have killed one of his own men in a drunken rage, and historians still debate whether he presided over a drunken orgy that ultimately led to the arson of the magnificent Persian palace in Persepolis in 330 B.C.


    5. Dorothy Parker
    The wisecracking and prolific American writer and poet once remarked that “one more drink and I’d have been under the host.” Parker could famously outdrink her male compatriots in New York’s Algonquin Round Table during the 1920s.

    4. Frank Sinatra
    Ol’ Blue Eyes enjoyed one of the most productive singing and performing careers of the 20th century, and did so with a tumbler of whiskey in hand at almost all times. “The Bourbon Baritone” was even buried by his children with a bottle of Jack Daniels in his coat pocket.

    3. Ernest Hemingway
    Like his fellow writer Faulkner, Papa stuck to a motto. His version: “A man does not exist until he is drunk.” After he was ordered by doctors to curb his drinking in 1939, Hemingway tried to limit himself to three Scotches before dinner. He couldn’t pull it off. Nor could he cut out his breakfast tea and gin, or his midday snack of absinthe, vodka and wine.

    2. Winston Churchill
    The legendary British prime minister was known for imbibing large quantities of alcohol, particularly in the later stages of World War II, and he openly admitted to relying on it. He typically had a glass of whiskey at his desk, and he drank brandy and Champagne at both lunch and dinner.

    1. Boris Yeltsin
    While it might be unusual to find a Russian leader who wasn’t a heavy drinker, Yeltsin put his predecessors to shame. He often appeared drunk in public, including at high-profile diplomatic events. The late president’s epic drinking is memorialized in a Simpsons episode, in which the highest reading of a Breathalyzer registers as “Yeltsin.”

    Honorable Mentions: Mickey Mantle, Christopher Hitchens, Ulysses S. Grant and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

    These were different times — different eras, even — and, today, high-functioning alcoholics have ways to seek help and can even look to well-known public figures who’ve come forward to share their own battles with alcohol and their roads to recovery. To these 10 who somehow made it by the skin of their teeth, we raise a glass to say salud, and we ask you all to please drink responsibly.


    http://www.ozy.com/flashback/history...0ALL%20Devices

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Robbie Burns



    A major drunk but a great poet!

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Hans Mann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    01-07-2016 @ 05:52 AM
    Location
    Land of Laughs
    Posts
    5,764
    Wot, no Chalerm?

  4. #4
    Gohills flip-flops wearer
    withnallstoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Location
    The Felcher Memorial Home.
    Posts
    14,279
    POR

    Drinks Lao Kao every waking minute of every day, and does so for free - charging his pastime to a fat falang farmer who resides thousands of miles away.

    A true pro.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    30,176
    Hunter S. Thompson is my favorite accomplished drunk.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    Hunter S. Thompson is my favorite accomplished drunk.
    He was more into psilocybin & THC than booze?

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    palexxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    4,151
    Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    palexxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    4,151

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    palexxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    4,151
    I drink, therefor I am

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,033
    What!!!!!!!!!! No Oliver Reed




  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Black Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Planet Cylon
    Posts
    3,021
    Ulyssius S. Grant

    General of the Union Army in the American civil war and later President of the US.

    Don't know much about him, just that he was a drunk.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Here's a couple omitted from that distinguished listing...


    Drinking mates 'til the end.
    Keith Moon & Oliver Reed.




  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    snakeeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    pattaya
    Posts
    7,774
    Drunk Boris Yeltsin was found outside White House in underpants trying to hail cab 'because he wanted some pizza

    Former Russian president Boris Yeltsin got so drunk during a visit to Washington that he was found standing outside the White House in his underpants trying to hail a cab to go and buy a pizza.
    The following night he was mistaken for a drunken intruder when he was discovered stumbling around the basement of his guest house by secret service agents.
    The drunken behaviour of Yeltsin, who was known for his fondness for vodka and died two years ago aged 76, were revealed by former US president Bill Clinton.


    Drunk Boris Yeltsin found outside White House in underpants trying to hail cab 'because he wanted some pizza' | Daily Mail Online
    I am not a liberator , Liberators do not exist , The people liberate themselves , Ernesto Che Guevara .
    Read more:

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 AM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Heart View Post
    All of these lists are subjective - so! - add your own or feel free to disagree.

    Here is someone's top ten. Now I know that even though I'm a boozer, I can suceed!


    By Sean Braswell Follow @seanbraswell
    While many of us have put back a few on occasion, it takes a special man or woman to hold a drink while holding down a hugely demanding job. OZY takes a look back at history’s 10 most functional boozehounds.

    10. The Queen Mother
    The late mother of Queen Elizabeth II is rumored to have consumed a bottle of gin a day, but that did not stop her from performing public duties until the ripe old age of 101. Once, while growing impatient for a gin and tonic, she is reported to have asked the members of her largely gay personal staff, “When one of you old queens has finished, can you bring this old queen a drink?”


    9. William Faulkner
    The great American writer was fond of saying that “civilization begins with distillation,” a motto he adhered to closely. He was also fond of hot toddies and whiskey. “I usually write at night,” he once said. “I always keep my whiskey within reach.”

    8. Bette Davis
    One of Hollywood’s greatest leading ladies, Davis enjoyed a career that spanned seven decades. The actress was known for her wit, strong personality and affection for a good drink. And as she got older, the cocktail hour got younger, eventually settling into a comfortable spot right after lunch.

    7. W.C. Fields
    The legendary comedian and film star of the 1930s was also a legendary drunk. Fields kept a martini-filled flask on hand whenever he was on a film set; he referred to it as his “lemonade.” One story goes that someone once poured actual lemonade into the actor’s flask, prompting Fields to holler, “Who put lemonade in my lemonade?”

    6. Alexander the Great
    Alexander of Macedon managed to conquer most of the known world — either in spite or because of a prodigious appetite for the hard stuff — by his death at age 32 in 323 B.C. Alexander is rumored to have killed one of his own men in a drunken rage, and historians still debate whether he presided over a drunken orgy that ultimately led to the arson of the magnificent Persian palace in Persepolis in 330 B.C.


    5. Dorothy Parker
    The wisecracking and prolific American writer and poet once remarked that “one more drink and I’d have been under the host.” Parker could famously outdrink her male compatriots in New York’s Algonquin Round Table during the 1920s.

    4. Frank Sinatra
    Ol’ Blue Eyes enjoyed one of the most productive singing and performing careers of the 20th century, and did so with a tumbler of whiskey in hand at almost all times. “The Bourbon Baritone” was even buried by his children with a bottle of Jack Daniels in his coat pocket.

    3. Ernest Hemingway
    Like his fellow writer Faulkner, Papa stuck to a motto. His version: “A man does not exist until he is drunk.” After he was ordered by doctors to curb his drinking in 1939, Hemingway tried to limit himself to three Scotches before dinner. He couldn’t pull it off. Nor could he cut out his breakfast tea and gin, or his midday snack of absinthe, vodka and wine.

    2. Winston Churchill
    The legendary British prime minister was known for imbibing large quantities of alcohol, particularly in the later stages of World War II, and he openly admitted to relying on it. He typically had a glass of whiskey at his desk, and he drank brandy and Champagne at both lunch and dinner.

    1. Boris Yeltsin
    While it might be unusual to find a Russian leader who wasn’t a heavy drinker, Yeltsin put his predecessors to shame. He often appeared drunk in public, including at high-profile diplomatic events. The late president’s epic drinking is memorialized in a Simpsons episode, in which the highest reading of a Breathalyzer registers as “Yeltsin.”

    Honorable Mentions: Mickey Mantle, Christopher Hitchens, Ulysses S. Grant and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

    These were different times — different eras, even — and, today, high-functioning alcoholics have ways to seek help and can even look to well-known public figures who’ve come forward to share their own battles with alcohol and their roads to recovery. To these 10 who somehow made it by the skin of their teeth, we raise a glass to say salud, and we ask you all to please drink responsibly.


    http://www.ozy.com/flashback/history...0ALL%20Devices
    More honourable mentions....

    Somtamslap
    Withnall stoke
    Myself

  15. #15
    Member
    Silverback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    21-03-2015 @ 09:30 PM
    Posts
    121

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    How is it that all the brilliant types lent themselves to drink.....or other stimulants?

  17. #17
    Can I still change this?
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:32 PM
    Posts
    4,690
    withnallstoke

    Had to be dragged away from a pub near the airport with a few hours (and no sleep) left until his flight to Fromageland.

    He possessed a small (Shifter) bag, pouch of rolling tobacco, rolling papers that suggest tobacco was not the only substance used for inhaling, a used book with "sticky" pages donated from somtamslap and a name of a hotel that he didn't actually reserve/know where the hell it was.

    Back at Bogon Mansions for an hour or 2 kip, he gave a slight rendition on the guitar and was last seen hailing a cab from petrol station with a ham and cheese toastie.

    Legend...
    Black diamonds? I shit 'em.

  18. #18
    Member
    Silverback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    21-03-2015 @ 09:30 PM
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    How is it that all the brilliant types lent themselves to drink.....or other stimulants?
    They had to escape from the banality of the system?

  19. #19
    Gohills flip-flops wearer
    withnallstoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Location
    The Felcher Memorial Home.
    Posts
    14,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogon
    withnallstoke Had to be dragged away from a pub near the airport with a few hours (and no sleep) left until his flight to Fromageland. He possessed a small (Shifter) bag, pouch of rolling tobacco, rolling papers that suggest tobacco was not the only substance used for inhaling, a used book with "sticky" pages donated from somtamslap and a name of a hotel that he didn't actually reserve/know where the hell it was. Back at Bogon Mansions for an hour or 2 kip, he gave a slight rendition on the guitar and was last seen hailing a cab from petrol station with a ham and cheese toastie. Legend...
    With all respect, i remember that.

    Stayed well sober.

  20. #20
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    18-09-2015 @ 10:43 PM
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Heart View Post
    [I]All of these lists are subjective - so! - add your own or feel free to disagree.
    and Champagne at both lunch and dinner.


    http://www.ozy.com/flashback/history...0ALL%20Devices
    I'm shocked you didn't put Winston Churchill at #1...Boris Yeltsin would get barely a footnote in world history.

    George Best deserves a mention. His son has serialised his story in the 'Irish Daily Mail'. Drank himself to death by age 50. Quite a sad case. I'm sure his son will always be wondering what his life could have been like if his father had been a fitter and turner, or something...

  21. #21
    Ex TD Fat Club VP Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    29,830
    Quote Originally Posted by withnallstoke
    With all respect, i remember that.
    But conveniently forgot....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogon
    He possessed a small (Shifter) bag


    "Nobody looks twice at men walking around shopping malls with a 'Manbag' nowadays"

    I walked around a shopping mall with a friends leather one, only because he left it at the bar mind, but I must admit I couldn't look anyone in the eye and felt a right filthy bent barstard.

    But apparently if you don't throw it over your head and just wear it on the one shoulder, it's not gay

  22. #22
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    18-09-2015 @ 10:43 PM
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
    Drunk Boris Yeltsin was found outside White House in underpants trying to hail cab 'because he wanted some pizza

    [/B]
    Drunk Boris Yeltsin found outside White House in underpants trying to hail cab 'because he wanted some pizza' | Daily Mail Online
    Shit...us Irish couldn't top that one, not even on Paddy's Day.
    Oscar Wilde should have an honourable mention:
    "Drink is the curse of the working classes".

  23. #23
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    18-09-2015 @ 10:43 PM
    Posts
    221
    [QUOTE=thaimeme;2979529]Here's a couple omitted from that distinguished listing...

    Drinking mates 'til the end.
    Keith Moon & Oliver Reed.
    [QUOTE]

    Oliver Reed was absolutely a spectacular drunk, on the same level as Shane McGowan at least. I recall a TV appearance in 1975 on Irish TV's Late Late Show. Susan George was also a guest and at one point he grabbed her out of the chair and threw her on the floor, got on top of her and started to do the bump and grind...

    I believe Charlie Sheen has that same kind of near suicidal devlotion to drink/substances...Brendan Behan had that same reputation in the 50s...when you think of it, poets were the rock stars of their day. People would flock to see him (for possibly the same reason they went to see Charlie Sheen's illfated comedy tour), cos there was an element of the train wreck about them. People never knew if tonight would be the night he would finally crack up...

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat KEVIN2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,740
    [QUOTE=Paddy Whackery;2979694][QUOTE=thaimeme;2979529]Here's a couple omitted from that distinguished listing...

    Drinking mates 'til the end.
    Keith Moon & Oliver Reed.

    Oliver Reed was absolutely a spectacular drunk, on the same level as Shane McGowan at least. I recall a TV appearance in 1975 on Irish TV's Late Late Show. Susan George was also a guest and at one point he grabbed her out of the chair and threw her on the floor, got on top of her and started to do the bump and grind...

    I believe Charlie Sheen has that same kind of near suicidal devlotion to drink/substances...Brendan Behan had that same reputation in the 50s...when you think of it, poets were the rock stars of their day. People would flock to see him (for possibly the same reason they went to see Charlie Sheen's illfated comedy tour), cos there was an element of the train wreck about them. People never knew if tonight would be the night he would finally crack up...

    Brendan Behan (1923 - 1964),

    “It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody.”

    “I am a drinker with writing problems.”

    “The most important things to do in the world are to get something to eat, something to drink and somebody to love you.”

    “There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary.”

    “The big difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less.”

    “Other people have a nationality. The Irish and the Jews have a psychosis.”

    “I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman couldn't make it worse.”

    “One drink is too many for me and a thousand not enough.”

    “New York is my Lourdes, where I go for spiritual refreshment... a place where you're least likely to be bitten by a wild goat.”

    “What the hell difference does it make, left or right? There were good men lost on both sides.”
    “I am a daylight atheist.”

    “If it was raining soup, the Irish would go out with forks.”

    “Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Kurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    02-12-2019 @ 12:05 PM
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    8,811
    I've made into the top 10 sore heads today.

    Damn you Patrick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •