Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,687

    Things Americans (Yanks) should know about Canadians (Canuks)

    I'm not Canadian but I found this entertaining so I thought I'd share.

    1. Our president is called a Prime Minister.

    2. Baltimore, Maryland has more murders in a week than the entire nation of Canada does all year.

    3. You don't have to be born in Canada to be Prime Minister.

    4. Canadians do not find, "Say 'eh' for me," to be particularly funny.

    5. Canada has rednecks, too.

    6. We're a lot bigger than you, in land mass, but our population is considerably less. The populations of Los Angeles and New York City would be around 30 million people. The entire nation of Canada has around 32 million people. Due to the fact that most of our country is in the northern latitudes, we huddle close to the border, for warmth.

    7. In the War of 1812, we kicked your butts. The reason why your Whitehouse is white is because we set fire to it and it was whitewashed to hide the damage (for propaganda purposes). Some Americans will say that THEY won the war. However, to win, a party must reach their objective. Your objective was to take over British North America (what Canada was called then), our goal was to stop you. You don't have any more northern territory along the Canada/US border than you did before 1812. So who won? (Alaska doesn't count, you BOUGHT that state from Russia.)

    8. A form of baseball was played just outside of Toronto, Ontario three weeks before Alexander Doubleday played the 'first' game of baseball in your country.

    9. We do not find the term "Canuck" derogatory, like Americans find "Yank" derogatory. It apparently originated during World War One. Your soldiers were call "doughboys" ours were called "Johnny Canucks". I think the British coined the term, but I'm not sure.

    10. We are not "just like Americans", we have our own national identity, we just haven't figured out what it is, yet. Someone once said that, "Canadians are unarmed Americans with health care." That pretty much sums it up, I guess. We are internationally (but unofficially) known as the "World's Most Polite Nation."

    11. Our national animal is the beaver. Sure it's just a rodent, but they're not even CLOSE to being extinct. You can still get money for beaver pelts. It is NOT our main unit of exchange, we have money, just like you.

    12. We do not find the fact that American wear Canadian flag pins (so they can get better treatment in Europe) very amusing. So stop it.

    13. We have Thanksgiving in October, so we don't look like copycats (it IS an American originated holiday, after all). However, we celebrate Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Passover and other holidays at the same time you do.

    14. We were formed, as a nation, in 1867.

    15. November the 11th is called Remembrance Day, up here. It is a day when all Canadians honour our war dead and the veterans who are still amongst us. Its significance is that on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month the Armistice was signed, ending World War One.

    16. Not every Canadian speaks French. In fact, Canada is the only country where speaking French is not cool.

    17. We spell words differently. Honour, valour, defence, neighbour, colour, centre and other words are from the British way of spelling. We also pronounce the last letter of the alphabet "zed", not "zee".

    18. The Queen of England is not our national leader. She's' just a figure head and somebody to put on our money with the birds. (Some Royalists in Canada will have something different to say about his, but they're a minority.)

    19. Our states are called Provinces. We even have three Territories.

    20. We DO NOT have snow all year round. We DO NOT live in igloos. We DO NOT ride around on dog sleds.
    We DO NOT have to check the back yard for polar bears, before we let our kids go out to play.

    21. Many Canadians have never played hockey in their lives. There are many who do not like hockey.

    22. Besides, our national sport is not hockey, its lacrosse. It's one of the few sports that originated on the North American continent, it was played by the Aboriginals.

    23. We didn't invent hockey, we just made it better.

    24. Even if an "American" team wins the Stanley Cup (the "World Series" of hockey) it doesn't matter to us, because all your best players are Canadian.

    25. On the other hand, if a "Canadian" team wins the World Series we ignore the fact that all our baseball players are American.

    26. Stop asking if we know somebody in Canada when you find out we're Canadian. We DON'T know everybody in Canada.

    27. We have no right to keep and bear arms. So leave your guns home if you're visiting, otherwise they'll be confiscated at the border. We have very strict gun laws, and fully automatic weapons are pretty much illegal. It almost takes an Act of God to get a licence to own a pistol. (This may be a contributing factor as to why we only have about 600 homicides a year, nation-wide.)

    28. The border between Canada and the US holds the title of the "World's Longest Undefended Border".

    29. Our side of Niagara Falls is nicer looking than your side. In fact, even when Americans use images of the Falls in advertising and movies, they film the Canadian side. It's called Horse Shoe Falls, by the way.

    30. We own the North Pole, and therefore Santa Claus is Canadian. The internationally recognized mailing address for jolly old St. Nick is:
    Santa Claus
    North Pole
    Canada
    H0H 0H0

    31. We call eskimos "Inuit", because that's what they call themselves.

    32. That movie you thought was filmed in New York, or Seattle, or Chicago, or Los Angeles -- may have just been filmed in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto.

    So there you have it. Now you just might know more about Canada than most Canadians do!
    Re number 20, that may well be, but EVERY Canadian I ever met has a bear story.

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    09-08-2015 @ 02:50 PM
    Posts
    46
    Canada kicked their ass in !812 war

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:58 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    12,371
    A feel good thread for hosers! Whoopee ding.

  4. #4
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,637
    I didn't read past #2 as I was sure it was BS, and a quick search confirmed it- Baltimore has a high homocide rate, but averages fewer than four per week (196 in 2011)- Canada has about 550 per year (543 in 2012).

    2. Baltimore, Maryland has more murders in a week than the entire nation of Canada does all year.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
    HST

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    21-11-2019 @ 08:54 AM
    Posts
    36,453
    ^Yeah, well, some of it is tough to swallow if you're a Yank...

  6. #6
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    17,994
    ... our national sport is not hockey, its lacrosse. It's one of the few sports that originated on the North American continent, it was played by the Aboriginals.
    Good Lord! Lacrosse wasn't invented in England? So why do those upper-crusts in British public schools play a foreign game? Traitorous scoundrels!!

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Canada and Canadians are very easy to like. Most of them would probably consider the stuff in the OP as 'OTT'.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by FailSafe
    I didn't read past #2 as I was sure it was BS, and a quick search confirmed it- Baltimore has a high homocide rate, but averages fewer than four per week (196 in 2011)- Canada has about 550 per year (543 in 2012).
    Perhaps the OP was written a long time ago and Baltimore now has a much lower population due to all the homicides?

  9. #9
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,687
    Canadians are fucking BORING for the most part.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    Canadians are fucking BORING for the most part.
    That's why so many Americans abroad claimed to be Canadian when Bush was president.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    30,113
    ^ I have never claimed to be a Canadian and have never met an American who claimed to be one while Bush was president or not.

    There was a joke at one time about putting a maple leaf on your American Tourister luggage but that was way before Bush.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit
    I have never claimed to be a Canadian and have never met an American who claimed to be one while Bush was president or not. There was a joke at one time about putting a maple leaf on your American Tourister luggage but that was way before Bush.
    I don't doubt you for one minute misskit. I actually met one who did, and told me it was common practice at that time among her American friends.
    She was not a personal friend just a chance meeting. Maybe she was a democrat?

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    30,113
    ^ How do you know she was an American if she was one of the Americans claiming to be Canadian?

    Would guess she was just conveying her disgust with Bush.

  14. #14
    R.I.P.
    toslti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Last Online
    22-09-2018 @ 07:53 AM
    Location
    Wongamat, Pattaya
    Posts
    2,038
    And I was only watching Canadian Bacon starting the late, great, John Candy the night before last!

  15. #15
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,687
    Quote Originally Posted by toslti View Post
    And I was only watching Canadian Bacon starting the late, great, John Candy the night before last!
    Great movie and a great actor.
    Watched anything with him in it.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:58 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    12,371
    Quote Originally Posted by chassamui
    It came out in conversation when she introduced herself. She was a very nice Texan lady and the accent sort of gave it away. She was at ease when she discovered we were Brits and bore no malice.
    Sounds like a made up tale of malarky. It's just self-aggrandizing nonsense.

  17. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    09-08-2015 @ 02:50 PM
    Posts
    46
    Canada is what the USA might have been like if those shits in Boston had never rebelled- a much nicer place.

  18. #18
    I am in Jail
    Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    19-03-2019 @ 07:37 AM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    14,778

    Talking

    Funny as fuck them Canuckistanians heh. If ya don't like Canucks then you simply cannot appreciate living anthropology, heh.
    Where's me maple leaf?
    Where did I park the Monte Carlo?
    Smelts for dinner, breaky and lunch heh!

    Cultural identity that's for folks who have a culture.
    Heh!

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,328
    Oh Canada...


  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,328
    BTW I have most likely spent more time in Canada then all of the previous posters on this thread as I live only two and a half hours drive from one of the most dynamic cities in the country. The OP is just some cut and past chain email that I would expect from the long flounced boontard..

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by toslti View Post
    And I was only watching Canadian Bacon starting the late, great, John Candy the night before last!
    Great movie and a great actor.
    Watched anything with him in it.
    Hundreds of well known American celebrities and public figures are actually Canadians...

    Don't tell 'em, though.


  22. #22
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,499
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub
    I live only two and a half hours drive from one of the most dynamic cities in the country.
    Yes. Moose Jaw is the center of the universe.

  23. #23
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    2. Baltimore, Maryland has more murders in a week than the entire nation of Canada does all year.
    Hard to believe.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:58 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    12,371
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub
    The OP is just some cut and past chain email that I would expect from the long flounced boontard..
    Or Jet. Wasn't she Canadian?

  25. #25
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    12-10-2019 @ 11:14 AM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668
    gentler less violent and cocky great hospitality great people,what an unarmed usa could be socialized medicine based on need not greed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •