Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    05-01-2016 @ 03:54 PM
    Location
    In a Madhouse
    Posts
    5,750

    Thai Authorities To Promote 'Martial Law Tourism'

    Thai Authorities To Promote 'Martial Law Tourism'
    BANGKOK The Tourism Authority of Thailand says its preparing to add one more tourist attraction to the Kingdom's long list of temples, beaches, and mountains: life under martial law.
    "The TAT is preparing a campaign called '24 Hours Enjoy Thailand' to attract foreign tourists to visit Thailand under martial law," TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik told Thai Rath newspaper on Friday.

    Thawatchai said that martial law is beneficial to tourism, because it ensures that foreign tourists can be safe 24 hours a day.

    "We want the tourists to be confident that they can travel in Thailand both day and night with safety at all times," Thawatchai said, adding that he hopes to promote this concept by creating a "buzz" on social media.

    The military imposed martial law over the entire nation on 20 May and seized power two days later. Human rights activists have decried the sweeping power of the 100-year-old law, which includes the authority to detain individuals and search properties without warrants, ban public protests, and try dissenters in military court.

    Experts have also warned that martial law is deterring tourists from visiting Thailand, as evident in the drop of tourist arrivals over the past three months. Tourist numbers were already low from the anti-government street protests that rocked the nation's capital for six months prior to the 22 May coup.

    Despite Thawatchai's insistence that martial law brings safety to tourists, there has been a number of high-profile crimes against foreign visitors in recent months, such as the brutal killing of two British backpackers on the popular southern island of Koh Tao in September. The murder remains unsolved.

    Last week, an attempted murder ex-convict was arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a Danish tourist near the resort town of Pattaya.

    Read more: What Can the Army Do Under Martial Law?

    Thai Authorities To Promote 'Martial Law Tourism'

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    14-10-2019 @ 04:04 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack
    Thawatchai said that martial law is beneficial to tourism, because it ensures that foreign tourists can be safe 24 hours a day.
    Tell that to David and Hannah.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Martial Law is a benefit to everyone and everything.

    God bless the Junta.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat klong toey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    20-11-2019 @ 08:06 PM
    Posts
    6,074
    Oh good i feel reassured now about a trip to Pattani in a couple of weeks time.

  5. #5
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,998
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack
    Thawatchai said that martial law is beneficial to tourism, because it ensures that foreign tourists can be safe 24 hours a day.
    Tell that to David and Hannah.
    Word. I got exactly that far into the article before thinking the exact same thing.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Hans Mann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    01-07-2016 @ 05:52 AM
    Location
    Land of Laughs
    Posts
    5,764
    Perhaps they mean "marital" law, cohabiting happily with the spouse and her brother.

  7. #7
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    05-01-2016 @ 03:54 PM
    Location
    In a Madhouse
    Posts
    5,750
    What will they think of next.?

  8. #8
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    12-10-2019 @ 11:14 AM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668
    I think they assume the readership is of equal intellect,my remarks on thai wives on cs post it was there then vanished was it edited perhaps we have a marshall grip in the engine room.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Mann View Post
    Perhaps they mean "marital" law, cohabiting happily with the spouse and her brother.

    Simon will be overjoyed!!!


  10. #10
    Member Tarquin Chucklefucc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    03-11-2014 @ 06:54 AM
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack
    Thawatchai said that martial law is beneficial to tourism, because it ensures that foreign tourists can be safe 24 hours a day.
    Tell that to David and Hannah.
    Word. I got exactly that far into the article before thinking the exact same thing.
    Yup, thirded.

    Sadly it would seem that the Shinawatras were the lesser of two evils.

    Prayuth has failed in a very sad fashion.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    07-12-2019 @ 07:44 PM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,811
    Now thats not a bad idea- they've already got that gory forensic/ medical museum in Bangkok, perhaps open up a Thammasat museum, a Red drum museum, a Crackdown museum, and Village scouts/ Red Gaur museum too, for good measure. Seems a shame to let neighbouring Vietnam & Cambodia steal all the gory glory.
    probes Aliens

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Now thats not a bad idea- they've already got that gory forensic/ medical museum in Bangkok, perhaps open up a Thammasat museum, a Red drum museum, a Crackdown museum, and Village scouts/ Red Gaur museum too, for good measure. Seems a shame to let neighbouring Vietnam & Cambodia steal all the gory glory.
    Heh....
    All that guilt [and face] ridden association would be much too much truth for Thais to accept.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •