Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 152
  1. #1
    Member
    dolorous ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    30-01-2014 @ 06:39 PM
    Posts
    220

    Forums are dying...what will you do after?

    me...watch more telly


    i have planned a garden but i haven't started yet
    stones cost more than i have

  2. #2
    Knows fok all
    daveboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    5,223
    Where you posting now CMN ?

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    21-07-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    Question is, why are they dying?

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    59,983
    MrsQ was asking after you a day ago.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Genuine discourse is indeed fading away. Too many "focus groups"

  6. #6
    The cold, wet one
    November Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-03-2015 @ 03:06 PM
    Location
    In my happy place
    Posts
    12,202
    I don't know what I'll do. Got a pretty full life in UK now and, sure, I can live without TD, but I'm so glad I came back and reconnected with old friends - & sorta made a few new ones. I'd miss y'all and TD

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    59,983
    Noony, should I leave my current job which is kinda cushy for a new one that pays 80 baht per hour more but will give me more work and less holidays?

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,110
    Does anyone think that noony is kinda pissed because His pet forum has gone titts up?

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,704
    Television is great propaganda for the masses aside from Sports programs. Forums aren't going to die...

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,110
    I only brought a TV 2 days ago, because my wife sings karaoke and despite having quite a good voice, like all Asians she not as good as she thinks she is. And I'm not clever like you are, so I can't work it.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    59,983
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    Does anyone think that noony is kinda pissed because His pet forum has gone titts up?
    No, he'd already drifted away from the mess that they'd created.

  12. #12
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    28,110
    just bought a kindle, so that's me sorted.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,704
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan View Post
    I only brought a TV 2 days ago, because my wife sings karaoke and despite having quite a good voice, like all Asians she not as good as she thinks she is. And I'm not clever like you are, so I can't work it.
    With some of these Karoke machines you hook up to the TV you almost have to be a computer guru to get the various menus to work right.

  14. #14
    Cacoethes scribendi
    Loombucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    15-06-2015 @ 08:51 AM
    Location
    Lanchester and Nong Bua Deng
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by dolorous ed
    forums are dying...what will you do after?
    Although I would miss the cut and thrust of human opinion and the sparkling wit and satire of some of our famous posters, I would, probably, continue to post drivel in other places!

  15. #15
    Member
    WilliamBlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    15-07-2021 @ 04:44 PM
    Location
    Betwixt Orientals, Occidentals & Accidentals
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by dolorous ed View Post
    forums are dying...what will you do after?
    "And this just in: the internet crashed today, resulting in a mass outbreak of productivity across the country."

  16. #16
    Excitable Boy
    FailSafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Depends on your point of view...
    Posts
    6,676
    Spend more quality time with the family, I suppose.

  17. #17
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,210
    I won't be using Twitter, Facebook or Linkedin instead, to keep up with what's going on.

    They're all information harvesting and marketing systems, collecting info from the stupid, selling it on to marketing groups, such as newspapers, who pass the fastest selling information so gathered, on to others in the advertising/marketing industry.
    By all accounts, those three social media mentioned above are the main draw away from internet forums.

    Not much different from the way NSA or PRISM and ECHELON works.

    Internet fora are in fact more "identity secure" (anonymity friendly) than the social media systems, so I think that the present down-turn in forum user numbers is a passing phase, albeit one engineered to suit dominant surveillance systems.

    Both government and industry share the gathered information,....at a price.

  18. #18
    A Cockless Wonder
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Posts
    14,109
    Quote Originally Posted by dolorous ed
    forums are dying...what will you do after?
    Welcome back noony.

    Reports of TDs death at the hands of the new admin team have been greatly exaggerated!

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,226
    Crap forums like sub zero, thai360 and a few others are dead or dying, good ones survive. There are more and more forums than there were and competition with other social time wasters, fb being the biggest one. Don't see any evidence of TV dying or TD for that matter. Contrary to what some say a forums health appears to have little to do with moderation, heavy or lax.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,773
    Quote Originally Posted by dolorous ed
    forums are dying...what will you do after?
    I'll probably go out and get a life.

  21. #21
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    30-06-2022 @ 03:22 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,734
    I have worked out an Einstein style formula as to why TD is dying :

    *Post deletions, thread deletions, people banned = Quiet forum *

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    59,983
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT View Post
    I won't be using Twitter, Facebook or Linkedin instead, to keep up with what's going on.

    They're all information harvesting and marketing systems, collecting info from the stupid, selling it on to marketing groups, such as newspapers, who pass the fastest selling information so gathered, on to others in the advertising/marketing industry.
    By all accounts, those three social media mentioned above are the main draw away from internet forums.

    Not much different from the way NSA or PRISM and ECHELON works.

    Internet fora are in fact more "identity secure" (anonymity friendly) than the social media systems, so I think that the present down-turn in forum user numbers is a passing phase, albeit one engineered to suit dominant surveillance systems.

    Both government and industry share the gathered information,....at a price.
    Will aluminium foil helmets work?

  23. #23
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,210
    Doubt it.

    Secure lines only.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan View Post
    I only brought a TV 2 days ago, because my wife sings karaoke and despite having quite a good voice, like all Asians she not as good as she thinks she is. And I'm not clever like you are, so I can't work it.
    what songs does she like?

  25. #25
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    I have worked out an Einstein style formula as to why TD is dying :

    *Post deletions, thread deletions, people banned = Quiet forum *
    True, but I think the moderation frenzy that seemed to erupt a few months back has died down a bit, and TD forum-friendly users have returned to some extent.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •