Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1
    Member 2Prick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2016 @ 04:04 PM
    Posts
    341

    Vientiane. RIP tourism?

    Just got back from there.

    It's been bad for local businesses there since the recession hit, but the last year has been the worst. Now it's almost totally dead. Loads of places shut down. Whole areas ghost towns.

    Is this the end for SE Asia's sleepiest and once most endearing capital city?
    .

    Virtual = not real. Don't get over it. Understand it.

  2. #2
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Probably didn't help that they concreted over and made largely inaccessible their one prime attraction.

  3. #3
    Member 2Prick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2016 @ 04:04 PM
    Posts
    341
    ^ Yes, ruining the riverside shacks and stalls of food and drink sellers was absurd.

    But it still had some attraction regardless. Now it's just a transit zone for people arranging visas for elsewhere. And even those numbers are dwindling dramatically.
    .

    Virtual = not real. Don't get over it. Understand it.

  4. #4
    Whopping Member
    benbaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 03:52 PM
    Location
    In the comfy chair
    Posts
    5,549
    I think that huge esplanade was a big fuck up. Instead of hundreds of people relaxing in the shade watching the sun go down, eating and drinking, now it's just half a dozen sweaty joggers pounding the concrete in the sun.
    The sleep of reason brings forth monsters.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    reddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Posts
    1,244

    neck oil

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick View Post
    ^ Yes, ruining the riverside shacks and stalls of food and drink sellers was absurd.

    But it still had some attraction regardless. Now it's just a transit zone for people arranging visas for elsewhere. And even those numbers are dwindling dramatically.
    i really liked sinking a few beer lao's along the old riverside, not the same now

  6. #6
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    Just back from there after a Visa run .
    Found it to be expensive , everything closes at ten PM , although one or two eating places stay open until 2 am, but after that everything is closed . No 24 hour convenience stores . Nothing to see or do there . Not looking forward to going back

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    "heroin's shit too, least they could do is provide quality heroin"

    Some fuckers eh?

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Posts
    26,611
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog View Post

    i really liked sinking a few beer lao's along the old riverside, not the same now

    Real bummer when they fuk up a perfectly good area. Shits me no end.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick
    It's been bad for local businesses there since the recession hit, but the last year has been the worst. Now it's almost totally dead. Loads of places shut down. Whole areas ghost towns.
    Ive no idea what the fock your on about.Whole areas ghost towns? been here 7 and a half years now, the construction never stops, new hotels, houses etc, roads and infrastructure all gradually being updated ,and you dont see many old cars on the road, there all new mate. plenty of people have cash in the pocket to spend, agreed they certainly fucked up the riverfrontage , that could of been a gold mine if done properly

    Quote Originally Posted by reddog
    i really liked sinking a few beer lao's along the old riverside, not the same now
    Plenty of other places to do that as well, i was out on the piss last night, job done


    ,

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    Found it to be expensive , everything closes at ten PM
    12000 kip maximum for a king brown of beerlao expensive?

  11. #11
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    Found it to be expensive , everything closes at ten PM
    12000 kip maximum for a king brown of beerlao expensive?

    I thought it was pretty cheap.

  12. #12
    Member 2Prick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2016 @ 04:04 PM
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick
    It's been bad for local businesses there since the recession hit, but the last year has been the worst. Now it's almost totally dead. Loads of places shut down. Whole areas ghost towns.
    Ive no idea what the fock your on about.Whole areas ghost towns? been here 7 and a half years now, the construction never stops, new hotels, houses etc, roads and infrastructure all gradually being updated ,and you dont see many old cars on the road, there all new mate. plenty of people have cash in the pocket to spend, agreed they certainly fucked up the riverfrontage , that could of been a gold mine if done properly

    Quote Originally Posted by reddog
    i really liked sinking a few beer lao's along the old riverside, not the same now
    Plenty of other places to do that as well, i was out on the piss last night, job done


    ,
    It's all dormant though. None of those new, upmarket places are attracting tourists. Take a look. You'll see bugger all business going on. Just skeleton staff and the odd out of place 50s couple sitting on public display.

    And the backpacker scene is almost finished.

    I go there once a month and have done for the last 8 years.

    In terms of construction, you are correct.

    In terms of it being a tourist destination, you've been looking at it through the wrong set of lenses.

    There's more to Vientiane (or at least there used to be) than just Sticky Fingers and Khop Chai Deu.
    .

    Virtual = not real. Don't get over it. Understand it.

  13. #13
    ความสุขในอีสาน
    nigelandjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Frinton on sea and Ban Pak
    Posts
    12,950
    Hope things are working out for Superloveydovey haven't heard from him lately
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

  14. #14
    Member
    boatboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    01-07-2015 @ 08:48 PM
    Location
    Over there.
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick View Post
    It's all dormant though. None of those new, upmarket places are attracting tourists. Take a look. You'll see bugger all business going on. Just skeleton staff and the odd out of place 50s couple sitting on public display.

    And the backpacker scene is almost finished.
    Cool, sounds like a great time to visit .
    If only it wasnt so expensive (relatively) to get into

  15. #15
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    ^ Expensive to get to?
    3000 baht return on nok air. With a meal and free drinks.
    Bus to Nong Kai from BKK..
    Relative to what?

  16. #16
    Member
    boatboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    01-07-2015 @ 08:48 PM
    Location
    Over there.
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    ^ Expensive to get to?
    3000 baht return on nok air. With a meal and free drinks.
    Bus to Nong Kai from BKK..
    To get from BKK on the dates I want shows as $269 return with Bankok air and $418 with air lao
    From Saigon $269 is the cheapest one way I can get (skyscanner)

    Not interested in a bus

    Relative to what?
    The saigon to bkk flight for $50 I have booked with AA
    The bkk to CM flight for $50 I have booked with AA
    The Oz to Singapore flight for $200 I have booked with scoot

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick
    In terms of it being a tourist destination, you've been looking at it through the wrong set of lenses.
    Then im not the only one, in yesterdays vientiane times it was reported that Laos had received from the european council on tourism and trade The worlds best tourist destination award for 2013 The worlds best tourist destination is awarded to a country for its achievements in the tourism sector , it is conferred on countries that comply with the UN tourism Division, Unesco and the ECTT principals on fair and ethical tourism, safety standards and the preservation of historical, cultural and natural sites,

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick
    There's more to Vientiane (or at least there used to be) than just Sticky Fingers and Khop Chai Deu.
    No shit,

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Prick
    And the backpacker scene is almost finished.
    Bollocks
    Fuk me i must be looking at it through the bottom of a beerlao bottle eh,

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,654
    [QUOTE="nigelandjan"]Hope things are working out for Superloveydovey haven't heard from him lately[/QUOTE He seems to be going well nige ,

  19. #19
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Probably didn't help that they concreted over and made largely inaccessible their one prime attraction.
    a request by the Chinese apparently,

    it shrunk the whole area and complete destroyed the riverfront,

    like all those Asian cities, the locals can't help but fuck it up

    time for a new French invasion of the place,

  20. #20
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    Found it to be expensive , everything closes at ten PM
    12000 kip maximum for a king brown of beerlao expensive?

    I thought it was pretty cheap.
    It may be cheap compared to some places , I had Baht and paid for everything in Baht and things were 20-50 % more expensive in Laos than Thailand .

  21. #21
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    ^ because you were using baht.
    Many places shaft you.

  22. #22
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    For example : Can of Coke 5000 Kip = 20 Baht . In Thailand 14 Baht .

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    14-09-2014 @ 04:20 PM
    Location
    Bangkok, the City of Angels!
    Posts
    3,071
    I'm headed to Vientiane next week. Is the Sprirt House in the Beau Rivage Hotel still open? Quite enjoyed it on my last visit.

    Samlo still open after hours? Been a while since I banged a backpacker

  24. #24
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBKK
    Samlo still open after hours? Been a while since I banged a backpacker
    still plenty of those there, if you don't mind their smelly feet from walking all day in the city without shoes

  25. #25
    Member Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 12:49 PM
    Location
    at the banks of the Mighty Muddy River
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    Found it to be expensive , everything closes at ten PM
    12000 kip maximum for a king brown of beerlao expensive?

    I thought it was pretty cheap.
    It may be cheap compared to some places , I had Baht and paid for everything in Baht and things were 20-50 % more expensive in Laos than Thailand .
    That is because many things in fact are imported from TH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •