Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 114
  1. #1
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682

    Another great idea or not?

    Living and working in Thailand has it's positives especially if you can offer manufacturing services.

    Almost on a daily bases I receive inquiries about whether I would be interested in producing a product.

    Recently I have been approached by a group who wish to introduce their product into the Asian Market and it is called the Chilli Bin.

    This product is no more or no less than a clear/ transparent plastic esky which provide good bar presentation of bottled beer and or other spirits in an iced up environment.

    I have suggested some ideas and with regard to making the product a mobile unit meaning that it can be pushed around beer gardens by the Sexy beer girls.

    This group also has a number of associated products including split shot glasses and I would appreciate your feedback about whether you believe the products will be a winner or not.

    Chilli Bin [at] [at] [at][at] - Home

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,174
    LT, are you expected to put money into this venture? If so, I would stay clear.

  3. #3
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Posts
    62,444
    I liked the bloke that put a cool box with a seat on top of those motorised scooters.

    Don't know how many they sold though.

  4. #4
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    LT, are you expected to put money into this venture? If so, I would stay clear.
    No mate, they have all the manufacturing equipment which can be set in our existing production equipment.

    Moreover they already have a solid market in Australia and they wish me to support them by providing manufacturing services (export and local supply) as well as helping them market the products within the Asian Region which of course means I will have to invest some monies not to mention my time.

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    06-03-2013 @ 01:13 AM
    Location
    Chanthaburi
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    LT, are you expected to put money into this venture? If so, I would stay clear.
    No mate, they have all the manufacturing equipment which can be set in our existing production equipment.

    Moreover they already have a solid market in Australia and they wish me to support them by providing manufacturing services (export and local supply) as well as helping them market the products within the Asian Region which of course means I will have to invest some monies not to mention my time.

    Already in Aus? Bugger that's what I was thinking.

  6. #6
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,880
    Seems to me, without offering any facts to back up my statement, that the market is pretty well saturated with items such as these.

  7. #7
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE EXPAT
    Already in Aus? Bugger that's what I was thinking.
    [at]
    Yes, so I believe they are quite popular in the Pubs in Australia.

    I really like the split shot glass and I have been told that 1 order from France was for 2 million pieces.

  8. #8
    In transit to Valhalla

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,036
    Go for it if your gut feeling tells you it is good, but only if you have the time and energy, be careful and don't overstretch yourself as you have a tendency to do gotta have time for family and playtime

  9. #9
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,694
    a chilli bin is what kiwis call an esky.

  10. #10
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Seems to me, without offering any facts to back up my statement, that the market is pretty well saturated with items such as these.
    Your probably correct mate but if you consider how long it takes to get an ice cold bottled beer in an Asian Beer Garden you will also realize that there isn't anything out there and along the lines of what I am proposing.

  11. #11
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    making the product a mobile unit meaning that it can be pushed around beer gardens
    That will only work if the floors are reasonably level.
    The beer gardens up here have floors like a bomb site

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    LT, are you expected to put money into this venture? If so, I would stay clear.
    No mate, they have all the manufacturing equipment which can be set in our existing production equipment.

    Moreover they already have a solid market in Australia and they wish me to support them by providing manufacturing services (export and local supply) as well as helping them market the products within the Asian Region which of course means I will have to invest some monies not to mention my time.
    Personally, I am all for any product that keeps my beer cold. With that said, I have found that the Thais just put ice in their beer which does not appeal to me at all. I tried to introduce some family to the use of koozies, but they did not catch on. Also, I have a few smaller 6-pack coolers that they don't bother to use. It seems that if the product is contrary to what they are used to, they will not use it. If you will only be manufacturing this product, with no cash outlay, there does not seem to be a risk of loss here.

    One thing you may want to look into is how long does the ice last in one of these. It could get expensive putting more ice in every hour or so. In the meantime I will continue to use my koozie and a good insulated cooler to keep my beer chilled.

  13. #13
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Seems to me, without offering any facts to back up my statement, that the market is pretty well saturated with items such as these.
    Your probably correct mate but if you consider how long it takes to get an ice cold bottled beer in an Asian Beer Garden you will also realize that there isn't anything out there and along the lines of what I am proposing.

    Imagine how slow they'll be if they have to push something around......

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat nedwalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    06-07-2016 @ 05:28 PM
    Location
    sunshine coast
    Posts
    7,710
    go for it mate..it is a proven product..specifically i think the more up market venues..than the places that i like to lurk in

  15. #15
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Imagine how slow they'll be if they have to push something around...
    On the contrary mate.

    The system of sales I have promoted to the principles will see the person actually selling the beverages (and pushing the unit) will be wanting to get the bins emptied by way of sales and re-filled as quickly as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    One thing you may want to look into is how long does the ice last in one of these.
    Of course in an air conditioned environment the ice can last for days but out in the open air we estimate that a partial ice re-fill will have to take place every 4 hours.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    17-06-2015 @ 03:09 AM
    Posts
    56
    Products like these would be given free to bars, as the cost would be absorbed by the beers companies that have their logo displayed. The product is easy to copy and therefore liable to instant competition. Bar products/displays appear from time to time, and things that need to be maintained and cleaned disappear quickly. I like the shot glasses, but as they say in Dragons Den....I AM OUT

  17. #17
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Carterone
    The product is easy to copy and therefore liable to instant competition.
    Yes and no mate.

    The cost for such tooling and injection moulds would be up around US$300,000.00 and the trademark is secured until 2019.

    For anyone to copy such a product would be quite an investment and you usually find that the first product in the market is always the preferred choice.

  18. #18
    ding ding ding
    Spin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,608
    If I were you I would stick to the manufacture of this thing to the customers spec, getting involved in other areas is the headache part. Keep it simple.

  19. #19
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,795
    do not try to sell to the organ donor courier market

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    17-06-2015 @ 03:09 AM
    Posts
    56
    Fair point regarding the tooling and injection moulds. If you decide to go ahead, you first port of call should be a major beer company, Heineken, Carlsberg etc etc. Best of luck whatever you decide.

  21. #21
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Carterone
    If you decide to go ahead, you first port of call should be a major beer company, Heineken, Carlsberg etc etc. Best of luck whatever you decide.
    In fact Johnny Walker, Barcardi and Red Ball, to name a few are using the product and all the major beer companies have shown some solid interest in fact some have already offered my their decal artwork programes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin
    If I were you I would stick to the manufacture of this thing to the customers spec
    True enough mate, but your post has really got me excited about the opportunities with regard to your business ventures.

  22. #22
    lom
    lom is offline
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    8,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    the trademark is secured until 2019.
    Who needs the trademark, it is for fekks sake nothing more than a plastic box with a certain shape.
    They don't have the patent of carrying around beer in a plastic box filled with ice.

  23. #23
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:59 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by lom
    Who needs the trademark
    Another classic post mate. Your contributions to this forum are always appreciated by me.

    I'm sure that Nike, Apple and others value their Trademark.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by lom
    Who needs the trademark, it is for fekks sake nothing more than a plastic box with a certain shape.
    wrong, it insulates them. a plastic box would be shit at that job.

    I reckon it's a good idea, but it's the beer companies and pubs that would be buying, not individual companies.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    One problem I foresee is that Thai never clean anything properly, so customers will get to see the gradual build-up of crap through the window.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •