Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Member registrar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    26-06-2013 @ 05:47 PM
    Posts
    65

    A Question For The Americans On Here

    I've just been reading an article on Yahoo UK about this multimillion Dollar lottery.
    One of the winners elected to take a LOWER amount spread over 26 years.
    Whats the advantage in doing so?
    Seems strange to me, or am i reading this wrongly?
    Winner Of Record US Lottery Prize Claims Cash - Yahoo! News UK

    Reg

  2. #2
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    I was in America for the draw of that lottery and the days leading up to the draw saw traffic jams and mobs of people trying to buy tickets.

    3 winners so I believe and I reckon a lower payment amount over 25 years is the way to go as long as interest is paid on the withheld monies.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Posts
    17,451
    You get millions a year, dont have to worry about taxes, or nearly as many "old friends and acquaintances"

    This being the key.

    Opting for a lower cash prize rather than a higher pre-tax amount of \$218.6m (137.7m) paid out over 26 years, the winner will pocket \$110.5m (69.6m) after taxes and fees.

    So she has that free and clear in a bank account. no more taxes ever on it. Whoa!!!!

    Forget about the old friends blah blah blah, everybody she has ever known will be wanting to get to know their old friend again.

    If she had the brains to do this, hopefully she wont go the way of so many big lottery winners.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    they do say that lotteries are a tax on the stupid, which is why many lottery winners are useless at handing the cash

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    SEA Traveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    01-11-2014 @ 09:25 AM
    Location
    Villa Sariano, Phala Beach, Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand
    Posts
    3,790
    Quote Originally Posted by registrar View Post
    I've just been reading an article on Yahoo UK about this multimillion Dollar lottery.
    One of the winners elected to take a LOWER amount spread over 26 years.
    Whats the advantage in doing so?
    Seems strange to me, or am i reading this wrongly?
    Winner Of Record US Lottery Prize Claims Cash - Yahoo! News UK

    Reg
    as AO noted, taxes would be spread over the # of years being paid out but because of the large amount of winnings, the percentage would probably be the same over the long haul.

    LT, don't believe there would interest accruing of decision made to draw over 26 years rather than lump sum. I think the formula is all decided on the decision made on payout timeline.

    Heck, at my age, I like the prospects of a lump some payment, pay the taxes, invest the lump sum amount and live off the interest and profits of the investments.

    Wish I had those worries as to decide what method of payment I'd take... I know who may friends are and they would be along for the ride with me!
    "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....and it is all small stuff"

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Posts
    17,451
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA Traveler
    I know who may friends are and they would be along for the ride with me! __________________
    Made in the shade SEA, but lets invest in tickets together with a group we can trust. There is one big problem involving a ticket a pool and a McDonalds, yup thats right, brewing up in Maryland USA.

    Rumored Maryland Mega Millions winner faces controversy | WJLA.com

  7. #7
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    they do say that lotteries are a tax on the stupid, which is why many lottery winners are useless at handing the cash

    Always notice that the winners are almost universally from places like Bum Fuck, Kentucky?

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,110
    don;t knock Bum Fuck, Kentucky if you havn't been there

  9. #9
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    they do say that lotteries are a tax on the stupid, which is why many lottery winners are useless at handing the cash
    I know a guy who won the Florida lottery twice (in reality he purchased both winning tickets from illegals) and with one of the winning tickets he put all of his kids names on it to be paid out over the years because he had a feeling if they got the money in a lump sum they would piss it all away.
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

  10. #10
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,687
    Quote Originally Posted by S Landreth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    they do say that lotteries are a tax on the stupid, which is why many lottery winners are useless at handing the cash
    I know a guy who won the Florida lottery twice (in reality he purchased both winning tickets from illegals) and with one of the winning tickets he put all of his kids names on it to be paid out over the years because he had a feeling if they got the money in a lump sum they would piss it all away.
    How did he know the illegals have the winning tickets and how much did he pay for them?

  11. #11
    Member registrar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    26-06-2013 @ 05:47 PM
    Posts
    65
    We Brits dont pay income tax on the winnings. Only on the interest those winnings make. Which is why i thought it a strange decision. And i dont think we get the option to take a yearly lump sum
    However, thinking about it, and seeing some threads, it seems to be be a case of the winners realising they would piss it all away.

    Thanks to all that replied

    Reg

  12. #12
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,687
    There's a lottery going at the moment that will pay 500 million.
    What would you do with it?
    I'd form my own army.

  13. #13
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S Landreth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    they do say that lotteries are a tax on the stupid, which is why many lottery winners are useless at handing the cash
    I know a guy who won the Florida lottery twice (in reality he purchased both winning tickets from illegals) and with one of the winning tickets he put all of his kids names on it to be paid out over the years because he had a feeling if they got the money in a lump sum they would piss it all away.
    How did he know the illegals have the winning tickets and how much did he pay for them?
    He didn't,..they came to him.

    As I understand, the first one came to him, because they (the person who purchased the ticket) knew he might be able to help them. The second one because word travels. I don't know how much he paid for either winning ticket.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat nedwalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    06-07-2016 @ 05:28 PM
    Location
    sunshine coast
    Posts
    7,710
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA Traveler
    ... I know who may friends are and they would be along for the ride with me!

    thanks mate

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    crocman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    08-09-2019 @ 05:48 PM
    Location
    6ft from the telly
    Posts
    2,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    There's a lottery going at the moment that will pay 500 million. What would you do with it? I'd form my own army.
    The A.A.R.C. I suppose.
    (Anti Ant Robertson Coalition.)

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 01:18 PM
    Location
    Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by registrar View Post
    I've just been reading an article on Yahoo UK about this multimillion Dollar lottery.
    One of the winners elected to take a LOWER amount spread over 26 years.
    Whats the advantage in doing so?
    Seems strange to me, or am i reading this wrongly?
    Winner Of Record US Lottery Prize Claims Cash - Yahoo! News UK

    Reg

    You misread the article.

    Opting for a lower cash prize rather than a higher pre-tax amount of \$218.6m (137.7m) paid out over 26 years, the winner will pocket \$110.5m (69.6m) after taxes and fees.

    The winner took the lower cash amount rather than 26 yealy payments that would have totaled the $218 million prize.


    Most US lotteries offer the cash option which is the amount the lottery organization would have paid for an annuity that pays over the 26 years.
    TH

    Lottery Annuity Vs. Lump Sum | eHow.com

    Annuity

    • An annuity is a series of annual payments for a specified number of years. The annual payment amount times the number of payments is the face value of the annuity. In a lottery, the face value is the advertised jackpot.

    Lump Sum

    • In a lottery, the dollar amount of the lump sum option is the cash value (present value) of the annuity based on a specified interest rate. That is, the lump sum is the amount of money that you could deposit into an account at the specified interest rate and at the end of the annuity term, you would have an amount equal to the face value of the annuity.


  17. #17
    Member Alvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    USSJ
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by registrar View Post
    I've just been reading an article on Yahoo UK about this multimillion Dollar lottery.
    One of the winners elected to take a LOWER amount spread over 26 years.
    Whats the advantage in doing so?
    Seems strange to me, or am i reading this wrongly?
    Winner Of Record US Lottery Prize Claims Cash - Yahoo! News UK

    Reg
    Economics education in America is pitiful and millions have no clue how to manage their own funds, and they damn sure know nothing about the time value of money. Taking annual payments is easier because it manages the money for them.

    As it turns out the sum in this case is so high it shouldn't matter but plenty of lottery winners still find a way to go broke. See the comment above about economics education to know why.

  18. #18
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,687
    Quote Originally Posted by crocman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    There's a lottery going at the moment that will pay 500 million. What would you do with it? I'd form my own army.
    The A.A.R.C. I suppose.
    (Anti Ant Robertson Coalition.)
    I don't have a specific beef with that dickhead. I've never had an online disagreement or spat with him or met him in person.
    I just reckon he's a fuckwit for making such a big girly flounce, and mince of to SZ only to get banned and then rather than come back here he skulks around in the background commenting via repo.
    I just thinks it's a really creepy thing to do and I know from watching his posting style that he is almost obsessive about getting the last word in so I like to taunt him with the fact that he CAN'T now, no matter what.
    This has the added benefit of getting the sycophantic fanboy willie all riled up on Ants behalf, how dare I disrespect his hero.
    I think they may be playing a joke on me however, something like ant posting using one of his fanboys nicks and thereby surreptitiously getting the last word in.
    Then he and the fanboys, by pm, snigger like little girls behind cupped hands, but surely that would be just too creepy and not a little sad.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    never mind Koojo

    it is all in your mind

    Ant doesn't exist, so you have never received any repos from him

  20. #20
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,687
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy View Post
    never mind Koojo

    it is all in your mind

    Ant doesn't exist, so you have never received any repos from him
    Oh he exists, I know it's just too creepy and sad to believe, but he does.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    crocman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    08-09-2019 @ 05:48 PM
    Location
    6ft from the telly
    Posts
    2,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crocman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koojo
    There's a lottery going at the moment that will pay 500 million. What would you do with it? I'd form my own army.
    The A.A.R.C. I suppose.
    (Anti Ant Robertson Coalition.)
    I don't have a specific beef with that dickhead. I've never had an online disagreement or spat with him or met him in person.
    I just reckon he's a fuckwit for making such a big girly flounce, and mince of to SZ only to get banned and then rather than come back here he skulks around in the background commenting via repo.
    I just thinks it's a really creepy thing to do and I know from watching his posting style that he is almost obsessive about getting the last word in so I like to taunt him with the fact that he CAN'T now, no matter what.
    This has the added benefit of getting the sycophantic fanboy willie all riled up on Ants behalf, how dare I disrespect his hero.
    I think they may be playing a joke on me however, something like ant posting using one of his fanboys nicks and thereby surreptitiously getting the last word in.
    Then he and the fanboys, by pm, snigger like little girls behind cupped hands, but surely that would be just too creepy and not a little sad.
    SORRY for laughing so hard but that is the funniest and latest reply I have ever received.You are an absolute legend.Green on the way

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,174
    My understanding of the US lottery was that if you opt for yearly payments, it all ends if you die. This would make the single payment option more attractive to me if I could not pass the yearly payments on to one, or more, or my relatives.

    Does anyone have the fine print portion of the lottery handy that shows what happens if you kick the bucket?

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    23-06-2014 @ 11:30 PM
    Posts
    1,235
    I would opt for all the cash upfront. I don't trust the govt to Owe Me money. Get all the taxes paid right off the bat and never have to worry about it. When you die your relatives get it free and clear (except for estate taxes). In some states, if you die while taking the annuity, you heirs have to put up an equal amount of money in a trust before they can inherit your annuity. Just one more way the govt can rip you off.

    RickThai

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •