Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 81
  1. #26
    Excommunicated baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Posts
    24,317
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Keep sport as sport ... take your political/social platforms off the field.
    you mean keep any that you disagree with off the field - breast cancer awareness is ok ,mental health awareness is ok , but homosexual awareness is not - would micropenis awareness be ok ?

    I think old white dinosaur awareness is probably needed

  2. #27
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,473
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    you mean keep any that you disagree with off the field - breast cancer awareness is ok ,mental health awareness is ok , but homosexual awareness is not - would micropenis awareness be ok ?

    I think old white dinosaur awareness is probably needed


    Blacks , Hispanics , Asians ect all statistically show less support for gay marriage than white ppl.

    Here's white mans burden all over again. Gotta show everyone else the way.

  3. #28
    Thailand Expat panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    32,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Just by questioning this like you just did, means you aren't sufficiently egalitarian enough.
    Has anyone here, aside fro you, raised the spectre of Mike not being 'sufficiently egalitarian enough" <sic>? No, but it seems this bothers you quite a bit



    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Blacks , Hispanics , Asians ect all statistically show less support for gay marriage than white ppl.
    Praise be to you white person . . .



    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    It's not like they get to choose the jersey / club sponsors and NRL is intertwined with betting agencies and promotions.

    Last I checked that was against their beliefs too, playing on Sundays as well, weird how selective that gets.
    It does reek of hypocrisy . . . and it wasn't about 'Gay Pride', it was about 'raising awareness about inclusiveness'.

    Nike - child labor
    BHP - habitat destruction, pollution, global warming
    Any online betting org - family violence and poverty

    etc etc etc

    Creating/highlighting awareness is hardly on that level

  4. #29
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    41,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post

    Blacks , Hispanics , Asians ect all statistically show less support for gay marriage than white ppl.

    Here's white mans burden all over again. Gotta show everyone else the way.
    Because of course the entitled snowflake would find a way to make himself out to be the victim of this as well.

  5. #30
    Thailand Expat
    Headworx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    It's not like they get to choose the jersey / club sponsors and NRL is intertwined with betting agencies and promotions.
    True, but without the support of these sponsors the sport would be far less developed and the players would make way less money. Now what would happen if gays withdrew their support which to date is one gay player in the last 100+ years and whining because in their opinion the game doesn't embrace them..

    Look, I think it would be a great idea if it was womens soccer or the LPGA tour or whatever celebrating the amount of gay/lesbians in their sport but NRL? Really?

  6. #31
    Praise Jesus
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Cebu
    Posts
    7,884
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Ditto the aboriginial players who are picked and accept to play for Australia, but then refuse to participate in the national anthem ... fuck 'em
    Dave's 2 favourite hobbies.

    1) Eating.
    2) Knocking one out to pics of Pauline Hanson.

  7. #32
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    28,031
    And headwhack reckons because there has only been one openly gay Aus rugby player then there has only been one gay Aus rugby player.

    Australia - cultural handbrake on since 1901.

  8. #33
    Thailand Expat armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Headworx View Post
    True, but without the support of these sponsors the sport would be far less developed and the players would make way less money. Now what would happen if gays withdrew their support which to date is one gay player in the last 100+ years and whining because in their opinion the game doesn't embrace them..

    Look, I think it would be a great idea if it was womens soccer or the LPGA tour or whatever celebrating the amount of gay/lesbians in their sport but NRL? Really?
    Do you really believe there's only 1 gay rugby player?

  9. #34
    Thailand Expat
    Headworx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    Do you really believe there's only 1 gay rugby player?
    Absolutely. These guys can't buy a coffee without someone who was there saying how big a tip they left so do you really think they could hide being in a gay relationship for their entire careers without someone blabbing about it? I've got no problem with gays and the one and only gay player there's been since I started following the game 50 years ago was a favourite player of mine, both before and after him being gay became public knowledge, but the simple fact stands that he (Ian Roberts) is the only one anyone can name. They don't make the money of some sportsmen/celebrities who can hide themselves in gated estate mansions with private security and so on to keep everything they do private.These guys live in suburbia, shop at local supermarkets, take taxis, and fly commercial just like the rest of us.

    Ronaldo could easily hide being straight gay or bi from the general public, these guys can't.

  10. #35
    Nine
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Posts
    9,529
    Jesus Christ.

    Please say you're on a wind up, DD.

  11. #36
    Thailand Expat armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,374
    shop at local supermarkets, take taxis, and fly commercial

    Classic straight characteristics

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat
    Headworx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    7,380
    CT! How kind of you to take time from your 6 month fully paid vacation from the multi billion dollar tefler industry to share some thoughts on a sport and players you know absolutely nothing about! What's outside your window today CT, the Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat
    Headworx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    shop at local supermarkets, take taxis, and fly commercial

    Classic straight characteristics
    My point being, they're in the public eye doing normal day 2 day shit like the rest of us every day, you'd think someone might notice if they were forever in the company of the same guy? Not that it would matter anyway, nobody would give a shit if they came out as gay. Or is this the best cover-up in history, that no matter who you ask or where you search you'll find no information, ever, about all these gay NRL players

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    14,640
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    you mean keep any that you disagree with off the field - breast cancer awareness is ok ,mental health awareness is ok , but homosexual awareness is not - would micropenis awareness be ok ?
    What, on Earth does ...

    • breast cancer awareness,
    • mental health awareness,
    • homosexual awareness
    • micropenis awareness


    To do with the NRL?

    Answer ... fuck all.


    Now, just a reminder, THIS IS THE WOMAN IN LEAGUE round, where we celebrate the silent helpers, the Mums, the Aunts who often go un-noticed supporting the game they love, or the game their kids love.


    EDIT: ...

    The NRL will celebrate Women in League Round for the 16th year this weekend, an initiative that focuses on the role of female fans, players, administrators and family members.
    Last edited by David48atTD; 27-07-2022 at 05:17 PM.
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago ...


  15. #40
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    14,640
    Does sport and social awareness/social causes work together ... sure.

    Take the SCG Pink Test where there is a mix of public awareness of the breast cancer support available, the main focus is fundraising for nurses supporting those with breast cancer.

  16. #41
    Thailand Expat panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:56 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    32,612
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    What, on Earth does ...

    breast cancer awareness,
    mental health awareness,
    homosexual awareness
    micropenis awareness


    To do with the NRL?

    Answer ... .
    Creating awareness. Does it harm the NRL? Is mental health not worth highlighting? Your tax dollars are spent on this, don't you want to know why?

    Cancer . . . pshaw. Why create awareness, which in turn creates funding.

    Just a few answers.

  17. #42
    Im bored AF Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Headworx View Post

    Ronaldo could easily hide being straight gay or bi from the general public, these guys can't.
    I agree with your take on the topic.

    Ronaldo ? I dunno


  18. #43
    Thailand Expat
    Headworx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Now, just a reminder, THIS IS THE WOMAN IN LEAGUE round..
    It was, till some fuckwit in Manly corporate thought it would be a good idea to make it GAYS IN LEAGUE round instead without running the idea past the players first.

  19. #44
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Posts
    4,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Headworx View Post
    It was, till some fuckwit in Manly corporate thought it would be a good idea to make it GAYS IN LEAGUE round instead without running the idea past the players first.
    Or the coach…

  20. #45
    Thailand Expat
    Headworx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    7,380
    ^Yeah you're right, they should have ran it past Des before the players ever got to know about it. I think he would have known what was coming and said "bad idea" from the get-go.

    Anyway this debacle has guaranteed Manly will lose tonight's game which they need to win to get into the top 8, they're going to get towelled up badly with 7 of their usual starting 13 sitting it out. What's also come to light is up to 5 of the best players from their Reserve grade team who were offered the chance to make their NRL debuts also said pass, fuck knows who half the team will be tonight.

  21. #46
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Posts
    4,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Headworx View Post
    Anyway this debacle has guaranteed Manly will lose tonight's game which they need to win to get into the top 8, they're going to get towelled up badly with 7 of their usual starting 13 sitting it out. What's also come to light is up to 5 of the best players from their Reserve grade team who were offered the chance to make their NRL debuts also said pass, fuck knows who half the team will be tonight.
    Makes you wonder why they've stuck with it. Surely, when this story broke they still had time to say 'let's get those old normal jerseys out for the game and bin this bad idea...'

  22. #47
    Thailand Expat
    Headworx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    7,380
    ^To back out of it sends the wrong message, to go ahead with it (which is obviously against half the teams beliefs) also sends the wrong message. In other words, damned if you do and damned if you don't. There's not one person from the boss of the NRL down who hasn't publicly stated this was handled poorly.

  23. #48
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Posts
    4,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Headworx View Post
    ^To back out of it sends the wrong message,
    I disagree, it says we are smart enough to admit we were wrong to try and add LGBT+ to the Women In League round, particularly when half our team are deeply religious islanders.

    To not change just shows stubbornness and a lack of understanding.

  24. #49
    Thailand Expat
    Headworx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWilly View Post
    To not change just shows stubbornness and a lack of understanding.
    That's what many are saying about the guys who won't be wearing the jersey tonight too...

    To try and defuse this the NRL have said they'll look at doing a stand-alone LBT4Q1DU7S+ round next year. One can only hope they'll be smart enough to do an anonymous poll among the players and coaches first to get a feel for how this works in the real world, then I think we'll hear no more about it or any other future rounds dedicated to divisive groups/causes.

  25. #50
    Viva Ukraine
    Hugh Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Location
    Qld/Bangkok
    Posts
    3,736
    Do we really need a gay pride round? If noone is aware of gay people by now when the papers, Television, social media, schools, and universities are awash with LGBTQIA+ awareness I dont know how a rugby match will make any difference, other than more virtue signalling.
    I suppose it does give sanctimonious virtue singallers like Baldrick a platform to show to the world how inclusive they are without having to actually move their lazy ass from the keyboard and actually do something. Sort of like a Landreth without graphs.

    Solidarity brother!!! (or sister).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •