Page 951 of 987 FirstFirst ... 451851901941943944945946947948949950951952953954955956957958959961 ... LastLast
Results 23,751 to 23,775 of 24659

Thread: Dinner

  1. #23751
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:18 AM
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    9,611
    according to wikipedia:

    Mushy peas are dried marrowfat peas which are first soaked overnight in water with sodium bicarbonate, then rinsed in fresh water, after which the peas are gathered in a saucepan, covered with water, and brought to a boil, then simmered until the peas are softened and mushy. The mush is seasoned with salt and pepper.
    May the bridges I burn light my way

    There is no plan for no deal because we're going to get a great deal - Boris Johnson in HoC 11 July 2017

  2. #23752
    Member
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:09 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin View Post
    When marrowfat peas are mashed up to become mushy peas is there something else added in to the result? Before blenders and food processors what was the traditional method used to mash the peas? A hammer?
    The ex-wife was a northern lass. To her, mushy peas started as dried marrowfat peas, soaked overnight, then cooked with bicarbonate of soda. She always insisted that some fake colour was added because they came out naturally beige. So she said, I never saw her make them from scratch. She'd simply inform me of the northern secrets every time I went to the chippie.

  3. #23753
    Member
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:09 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by lom View Post
    according to wikipedia:

    Mushy peas are dried marrowfat peas which are first soaked overnight in water with sodium bicarbonate, then rinsed in fresh water, after which the peas are gathered in a saucepan, covered with water, and brought to a boil, then simmered until the peas are softened and mushy. The mush is seasoned with salt and pepper.
    Yep. What he said.

  4. #23754
    fcuked off SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    39.2014 N, 85.9214 W
    Posts
    7,591
    bicarbonate of soda...yummy. so the cooking down does the trick and no mashing required. interesting. thank you gents. was curious is all.

    here in the States when you get fish and fries, cole slaw is usually the default side. not sure how that became a thing to be honest.

  5. #23755
    fcuked off SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    39.2014 N, 85.9214 W
    Posts
    7,591
    As a kid growing up my first exposure to the concept of British fish and chips came from a restaurant called Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips. There was one in our county seat city and we went many times. Most of them are gone and only seven remain now. I actually thought they were all gone. But anyway I do not recall mushy peas being on their menu. So not very authentic I guess. A little history on them here:

    What ever happened to Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips?

    Apparently the 'cod wars' did them in...

  6. #23756
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,533
    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin View Post
    As a kid growing up my first exposure to the concept of British fish and chips came from a restaurant called Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips. There was one in our county seat city and we went many times. Most of them are gone and only seven remain now. I actually thought they were all gone. But anyway I do not recall mushy peas being on their menu. So not very authentic I guess. A little history on them here:

    What ever happened to Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips?

    Apparently the 'cod wars' did them in...
    Certainly don't know how some might make a decent living exclusively as a fish-n-chips place, as halibut and cod [the preferred favourites] have become outta reach - as it's been for some time - and still able to offer a reasonable price for their fare.

  7. #23757
    fcuked off SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    39.2014 N, 85.9214 W
    Posts
    7,591
    ^I'm talking the early 1970s...many moons ago.

  8. #23758
    Thailand Expat
    snakeeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    pattaya
    Posts
    8,194
    Two Sirloin Steaks sauce garlic mushrooms steak chips and battered onion rings





    Last edited by snakeeyes; 26-05-2020 at 11:35 PM.

  9. #23759
    Isle of Discombobulation
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,562
    You going through the whole food range from Lidl Snakey?

    A potato masher I presume to mush up the peas imho.

    Marrowfat are the no mans land of peas, neither mushy or hard.

    I had garden peas tonight, very nice it was..
    Dinner-20200526_185945-jpg
    The home made chunky,crinkle,crispy cut chips were also very nice.
    The Captain Birdseye Cod fillets...reasonable.

    Aye,aye.

  10. #23760
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin View Post
    When marrowfat peas are mashed up to become mushy peas is there something else added in to the result? Before blenders and food processors what was the traditional method used to mash the peas? A hammer?

    A dash of vinegar.

  11. #23761
    In Uranus
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,352
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    as halibut and cod [the preferred favourites] have become outta reach
    What the hell are you talking about? Cod is cheap as chips on the west coast of the US. Typically, retails for $4.99 a pound. As usual, you are full of shit.

  12. #23762
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
    Two Sirloin Steaks sauce garlic mushrooms steak chips and battered onion rings




    What do those baby steaks want to be when they grow up?

  13. #23763
    fcuked off SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    39.2014 N, 85.9214 W
    Posts
    7,591
    ^^Isn't Pacific cod about like Atlantic Salmon?





    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    A dash of vinegar.
    Makes sense...malt vinegar?

  14. #23764
    Isle of Discombobulation
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,562
    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin View Post
    ^^Isn't Pacific cod about like Atlantic Salmon?







    Makes sense...malt vinegar?
    Fish is all the same and a bit predictable.

    Having said that, I bunged a dozen chilli breaded Aldi Alaskan King prawns in the dry air fryer last night, they certainly gave my bacon n sausage n steak n fried egg(not airfried) butty a flavour when I rose..
    Dinner-20200526_152831-jpg

  15. #23765
    In Uranus
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,352
    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin View Post
    Isn't Pacific cod about like Atlantic Salmon?
    Wild caught in the icy cold of the Alaskan seas. A ridiculous comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    Fish is all the same and a bit predictable.
    Absurd.

  16. #23766
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:18 AM
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    9,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    crispy cut chips were also very nice
    They are pale, they look dead. See snakeeyes meal pics for how chips should look..

  17. #23767
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    23,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    Fish is all the same and a bit predictable.
    Hmmmmm . . . nope

  18. #23768
    Thailand Expat
    snakeeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    pattaya
    Posts
    8,194
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    What do those baby steaks want to be when they grow up?
    Two Baby Steaks are very nice also i trimmed all the fat off them , by the way it was a lot of steak and it's a very big plate ,

  19. #23769
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,533
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    Hmmmmm . . . nope
    Yeah.
    I suspect Chitty needs to get out more - expanding his experiences and observations.

  20. #23770
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
    also i trimmed all the fat off them
    Jaysus, ruined it.

  21. #23771
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,034
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
    it was a lot of steak and it's a very big plate
    400g of steaks, meat my 500g pork chop.....with fat left on



  22. #23772
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,533
    Sauce on the side.
    Class.

  23. #23773
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,034
    ^ Jus ala Bisto.

  24. #23774
    Thailand Expat
    snakeeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    pattaya
    Posts
    8,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    400g of steaks, meat my 500g pork chop.....with fat left on




    If you cut the fat off it would be a 200g pork chop It's a very small plate my plate is twice the size just saying
    Last edited by snakeeyes; 27-05-2020 at 09:03 PM.

  25. #23775
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,034
    ^ it's a 12 incher

Page 951 of 987 FirstFirst ... 451851901941943944945946947948949950951952953954955956957958959961 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •