Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    2,754

    Helpful Kitchen tips

    This is a thread of helpful kitchen tips that some of us might not know.
    Here are a couple of things that I recently discovered after almost 63 years of not knowing any better. Many of you might already know this thing but perhaps there are those who of us who don't.

    I always had a problem making eggs Sunny side UP,
    (Stock pictures)
    Helpful  Kitchen tips-eggs-sunny-jpg
    Because the heat is coming from the bottom , by the time I had the tops cooked and nor runny
    the bottoms were burned and looked something like the ones below
    Helpful  Kitchen tips-eggs-burned-jpg
    until my sister gave me the following tip.
    When the eggs are half way cooked , drop in the pan about two spoonfuls of water and cover the pan with a lid. The steam trapped in the pan cooks the tops perfectly in seconds.
    Please don't laugh at me if everyone knew this already.

    Next tip I learned from my mother a long time ago.
    We often open a can of tomato paste and only need to use half of it, by the time we use the rest, its no good.
    My Mom would clean the side of the can , pour a little bit of olive oil on top of the tomato paste and place it in the refrigerator . The olive oil would displace all the air and after a couple of hours would harden and form a hermetical seal.

    As smart as we might think we are ,some time the obvious eludes us, so post you kitchen tip here and don't be concerned that other might already know it, you would be surprised how many of us do not.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat Saint Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Posts
    9,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    T by the time I had the tops cooked and nor runny
    the bottoms were burned and looked something like the ones below
    Helpful  Kitchen tips-eggs-burned-jpg
    until my sister gave me the following tip.
    This looks perfect to me.

  3. #3
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    24,623


    It's certainly an SEA favourite.

    Thing is, if you prefer them in the manner of BB's then why not just poach them instead and cut the fat?


    Silicone poachers...guess that's my tip.

    yingRX 1pc Silicone Egg Poacher Cook Poach Pods Kitchen Cookware Poached Baking Cup | Lazada.co.th

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,325
    My solution is easier. Break the eggs into a cup. Get the pan heated on low, add your butter. Then add just the whites and let them begin to set. Then add the yolks and let them begin to firm up and serve a wonderfully runny yolk with a just done white. Nothing at all like "Willy" style..

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat Saint Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Posts
    9,896
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    and let them begin to firm up and serve a wonderfully runny yolk with a just done white.
    I think that's his issue, he wants the yolk well done without burning the whites.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    11,455
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    he wants the yolk well done
    How weird..

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,325
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    he wants the yolk well done without burning the whites.
    Hope not, those eggs are given to the neighbors pets.

  8. #8
    Gohills flip-flops wearer
    withnallstoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Location
    The Felcher Memorial Home.
    Posts
    14,546
    Try to keep your knob out of the meat grinder, as my granny used to say.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post


    It's certainly an SEA favourite.

    Thing is, if you prefer them in the manner of BB's then why not just poach them instead and cut the fat?


    Silicone poachers...guess that's my tip.

    yingRX 1pc Silicone Egg Poacher Cook Poach Pods Kitchen Cookware Poached Baking Cup | Lazada.co.th
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Hope not, those eggs are given to the neighbors pets.
    Let me know where you live, I'll move next to you
    My dogs like some toast also .

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by withnallstoke View Post
    Try to keep your knob out of the meat grinder, as my granny used to say.
    easy for her to say

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    When the eggs are half way cooked , drop in the pan about two spoonfuls of water and cover the pan with a lid. The steam trapped in the pan cooks the tops perfectly in seconds.
    Please don't laugh at me if everyone knew this already.
    Not laughing at all, I only came across this idea recently. I think it was Headworx who posted a video on the Full English thread? I tried it and for me it is a different style of fried eggs. Not better or worse, just different. I rather like the KW fried egg style although basting it is a challenge.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    1,934
    How to chop an onion. It seems so basic. Many people probably know how.

    I never learned this growing up and just got by. Then one day I thought there must be a better way. There are many YouTube videos. Gordon Ramsay and others make horizontal slices towards their hands, which I don't like because I am fairly clumsy and it seems unnecessary. I do it Rachael's way. I find her accent rather piercing, her onion chopping works just fine.


  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutree View Post
    How to chop an onion. It seems so basic. Many people probably know how.

    I never learned this growing up and just got by. Then one day I thought there must be a better way. There are many YouTube videos. Gordon Ramsay and others make horizontal slices towards their hands, which I don't like because I am fairly clumsy and it seems unnecessary. I do it Rachael's way. I find her accent rather piercing, her onion chopping works just fine.

    That's how I chop onions but it never occurred to me to leave the "Hair" part on, I always chop both ends off, and it usually falls apart on me on the last two cuts.
    I will give this a try next time i chop onions.
    I have not seen Rachel for a while, she looked like she has been sampling a bit too much of her own cooking. LOL

  14. #14
    Custom Title Changer
    Topper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,560
    ^ That's how I do it...

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    I have not seen Rachel for a while, she looked like she has been sampling a bit too much of her own cooking. LOL
    Never trust a skinny chef.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    15-09-2021 @ 02:25 AM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    22,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    never occurred to me to leave the "Hair" part on
    That is the most important thing to remember.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    2,754
    So today i learned something new.
    about a month a ago we got one of those homemade Thai coal Barbeque/ smoker. Be bought the sack of coal and got a bunch of dry kindling wood, split to thin strips, but for the most part I had mastered the smoker part. LOL
    wife said "Use Robber bands" so I shot some rubber bands at her , it did feel better but it did not help starting the coals.
    so she said "Put the rubber bands under the wood and light them" "stupid faring" and shot the rubberbands back at me.

    Perhaps you all knew that, but I did not. rubber bands burn easy, bright , and hot. The kindling was burning hot bright and hot, and the coals were started in no time at all.
    You have not had barbeque, until you had barbeque on coals. made some chicken legs, potatoes and chicken livers. The fish are for the cat.
    next attempt will be pork chops and sausages.
    Helpful  Kitchen tips-fire-rubber-jpg

    Helpful  Kitchen tips-bbq-jpg

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat Saint Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Posts
    9,896
    How's the carcinogens, never mind the taste of burnt rubber?

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,325
    Damn buck you and the wife really are into innards!!.

    To use that grill again I would need high heat and a strong grill brush to get all the remains of the innards off..

  20. #20
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    248
    nice nail varnish love the Tab

  21. #21
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    32,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    So today i learned something new.
    about a month a ago we got one of those homemade Thai coal Barbeque/ smoker. Be bought the sack of coal and got a bunch of dry kindling wood, split to thin strips, but for the most part I had mastered the smoker part. LOL
    wife said "Use Robber bands" so I shot some rubber bands at her , it did feel better but it did not help starting the coals.
    so she said "Put the rubber bands under the wood and light them" "stupid faring" and shot the rubberbands back at me.

    Perhaps you all knew that, but I did not. rubber bands burn easy, bright , and hot. The kindling was burning hot bright and hot, and the coals were started in no time at all.
    You have not had barbeque, until you had barbeque on coals. made some chicken legs, potatoes and chicken livers. The fish are for the cat.
    next attempt will be pork chops and sausages.
    Helpful  Kitchen tips-fire-rubber-jpg

    Helpful  Kitchen tips-bbq-jpg
    See those fush there? Next time for a nice crispy skin score them and rub salt on them.

  22. #22
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    32,308
    Helpfull kitchen tip #2. MSG.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    PAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Location
    Chalong, Phuket
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    See those fush there? Next time for a nice crispy skin score them and rub salt on them.
    Think the fish were for the cat, so guess not too concerned about the crispy skin. Salt not good for cats and dogs kidneys.

  24. #24
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    24,623
    Yeah, he has reading difficulties.

  25. #25
    In Uranus
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    24,561
    Lesson one, if you ever move to LOS, never move to issan. After over ten years here, I think I got that one hammered down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •