Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 62
  1. #26
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    My new bestest friend on TD


    Oi, you started it . . . Hmm, also not the best thing . . .


    Pre-pesca diet I loved pies with wild boar. My mother's side of the family is French from the area around Reims, lots of good hunting places I'm told - not interested in it myself. These people know how to eat, drink and have a good time.

    Ok, my sugestion: Wild Boar Pies.

    Oh. That's haram/not kosher as well . . . won't do for Chef's new rello








    Mix chopped prawns with a good hearty fish, add fennel . . . and/or possibly coriander. A thick, creamy sauce - perhaps leaning toward béchamel style.
    Sounds like a plan, im not too keen on cold bechamel myself but at least it will look like i made some effort....

  2. #27
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Location
    Sanur
    Posts
    4,906
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    Mix chopped prawns with a good hearty fish, add fennel . . . and/or possibly coriander. A thick, creamy sauce - perhaps leaning toward béchamel style.
    On toast or crackers maybe, but not in a pork pie case please.

  3. #28
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Location
    Sanur
    Posts
    4,906
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    I´m left wanting when game is involved, Switch.

    Always a bit of a let down.

    Pork pie all day long.
    Game pie is an acquired taste, but on the whole I think we can agree.

  4. #29
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Online
    10-12-2020 @ 08:37 AM
    Location
    nakhon ratchasima
    Posts
    1,783
    having lived in yorkshire 70's pork pies are real.
    here in thailand it is difficult to get the proper,lard and mace.
    as for the filling this past 6months i have been buying the minced bacon blocks [TGM] most supermarkets.
    white peppercorns.
    nutmeg.
    smoked paprika.
    mince the bacon blocks with mash potato ond onion add some salt.
    roll the filling into golf ball sizes to fill the pie leaving gaps so the jelly fills around the pie.
    now for the pastry,i use frozen ready made puff or all purpose from mackro.
    when the pies are cooked put in the fridge overnight so morning time pour in the jelly.apple sauce,chicken stock add geletine,when the jelly is set put in the fridge again if you dont the heat will melt the jelly.i will tempt mendip to come and try one with a can of thatchers cider.then post a photo.

  5. #30
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    26,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    On toast or crackers maybe, but not in a pork pie case please.
    Oh, now we are such gastronomical hoi-polois that we talk about pie 'cases' pairings . . . pffft.

    Grumble grumble

    Pies . . .


  6. #31
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    My new bestest friend on TD


    Oi, you started it . . . Hmm, also not the best thing . . .


    Pre-pesca diet I loved pies with wild boar. My mother's side of the family is French from the area around Reims, lots of good hunting places I'm told - not interested in it myself. These people know how to eat, drink and have a good time.

    Ok, my sugestion: Wild Boar Pies.

    Oh. That's haram/not kosher as well . . . won't do for Chef's new rello








    Mix chopped prawns with a good hearty fish, add fennel . . . and/or possibly coriander. A thick, creamy sauce - perhaps leaning toward béchamel style.
    Quote Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
    having lived in yorkshire 70's pork pies are real.
    here in thailand it is difficult to get the proper,lard and mace.
    as for the filling this past 6months i have been buying the minced bacon blocks [TGM] most supermarkets.
    white peppercorns.
    nutmeg.
    smoked paprika.
    mince the bacon blocks with mash potato ond onion add some salt.
    roll the filling into golf ball sizes to fill the pie leaving gaps so the jelly fills around the pie.
    now for the pastry,i use frozen ready made puff or all purpose from mackro.
    when the pies are cooked put in the fridge overnight so morning time pour in the jelly.apple sauce,chicken stock add geletine,when the jelly is set put in the fridge again if you dont the heat will melt the jelly.i will tempt mendip to come and try one with a can of thatchers cider.then post a photo.
    Oh well now you have started a whole new question.
    Jelly in a pork pie.
    Personally, Jelly adds nothing to the enjoyment of a pie for me. It used to be that it would help keep the meat from going off and also keep it moist but with modern refrigeration and cooking methods i say lose the jelly, add more meat!

  7. #32
    Member
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:00 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Basics with Baz View Post
    So i made a tutorial for a English classic but honestly I rarely actually put pork in mine, i generally do a curried goat filling or minted lamb.
    What would you suggest as something to try?
    I love a good pork pie. It's been a while, you have provoked an urge to find a good one.

    I would have thought lamb might be a bit fatty? Goat sounds like a leaner option.

    If it needs to be halal, how about turkey, or ostrich? Maybe too lean?

  8. #33
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutree View Post
    I love a good pork pie. It's been a while, you have provoked an urge to find a good one.

    I would have thought lamb might be a bit fatty? Goat sounds like a leaner option.

    If it needs to be halal, how about turkey, or ostrich? Maybe too lean?
    Good thinking but as you say, lean meats dont tend to do well with the long cook time.

    The lamb filling i use is usually braised shanks or neck so its cooked and fat rendered before its minted and pressed into the pastry. Its pretty good if I do say so myself, just make sure to taste the filling before using to prevent toothpaste pies!

  9. #34
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    26,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Basics with Baz View Post
    Jelly
    Sorry, but that stuff is simply


    Quote Originally Posted by Shutree View Post
    If it needs to be halal,
    . . . or kosher, let's not be too hasty . . .

    But yes - also, if they are kosher or halal the meat has to be as well, based on how it has been killed and then the whole imam/rabbi thing, transportation, preparation, utensils etc... has to come into it

  10. #35
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    Sorry, but that stuff is simply



    . . . or kosher, let's not be too hasty . . .

    But yes - also, if they are kosher or halal the meat has to be as well, based on how it has been killed and then the whole imam/rabbi thing, transportation, preparation, utensils etc... has to come into it
    This is to be a halal pie, the person in question is not mega strict, he is happy to have alcohol and he smokes but will not touch pork. I dont get it myself as i am not religious in any way and am not one for getting involved with peoples beliefs as i rarely find it enlightening.

    I tend to find the kosher diet more troublesome as you have stated, strict Jews are incredibly difficult to cater for as you pretty much just cant. Unless of course you happen to be a Rabbi. I am not a Rabbi.

    Is it unchristmas-like to tell guests that if they have dietary requirements to just bring their own food? That sure would solve a lot of problems!

  11. #36
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    9,026



    ...and SPAM.
    Last edited by HuangLao; 22-11-2020 at 10:10 PM.

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    To please Mendip you can add peas and carrot.
    I love pork pies and as you seem to know, I love my peas.

    But peas and carrots in a pork pie would just be weird!

    Quote Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
    i will tempt mendip to come and try one with a can of thatchers cider.then post a photo.
    Get cooking HH... I'll supply the Thatchers.

    Just make sure you put a long 'use by' date on them... it could take me a while to get there...

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    9,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Basics with Baz View Post
    Jelly in a pork pie.
    Personally, Jelly adds nothing to the enjoyment of a pie for me.
    Aspic jelly surrounding the meat is all part of the pork pie experience and should never be left out.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hat
    Sorry, but that stuff is simply
    Clearly, there's a foreigner amongst us....

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Posts
    5,389
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    Sorry, but that stuff is simply it

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Aspic jelly surrounding the meat is all part of the pork pie experience and should never be left out.
    I love the jelly in a pork pie, but a lot of places dont do it anymore. It was only at the local butchers recently where I could get my pork pie jelly fix!

  15. #40
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    I love the jelly in a pork pie, but a lot of places dont do it anymore. It was only at the local butchers recently where I could get my pork pie jelly fix!
    I have noticed the same thing, i supposed that they are changing the recipe to suite the taste of the modern generation of porkers. Again, i can take it or leave it, although as far as aspic versus a chicken stock jelly, i will take the flavoured jelly over aspic.

  16. #41
    In Uranus
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    22,494
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    I love the jelly in a pork pie
    I feel sorry for you....


  17. #42
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Posts
    5,389
    Mmmmmm....jelly.....baked beans...baked beans AND jelly.

  18. #43
    Chinese spy
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    32,565
    A pork pie, or variation thereof, must have aspic or equivalent- otherwise it is dry and unpleasant.

  19. #44
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,556
    The Tartelet
    As with the Sandwich, contents are best out in the open

    Hen in asparagus
    or shrimps in asparagus


  20. #45
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by helge View Post
    The Tartelet
    As with the Sandwich, contents are best out in the open

    Hen in asparagus
    or shrimps in asparagus

    Sorry, you have lost me here. What are you saying?

  21. #46
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    9,255
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    I feel sorry for you....

    Clearly another foreigner amongst us...

  22. #47
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    9,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Basics with Baz View Post
    Sorry, you have lost me here. What are you saying?
    I think he's trying to tell you that pork pie haters are tarts...

  23. #48
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,556
    ^

    ^^

    Don't ruin my poor jokes

  24. #49
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Online
    10-12-2020 @ 08:37 AM
    Location
    nakhon ratchasima
    Posts
    1,783
    one for the yorkie's,best pork pies,kingsly dog track club housenormanton high st.butchers,pie shop next to pontefact bus station.pontypridd indoor market.
    and MY HOUSE.

  25. #50
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Posts
    5,389
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    A pork pie, or variation thereof, must have aspic or equivalent- otherwise it is dry and unpleasant.
    By the way, sabang, this is impossible. There is no such thing as an unpleasant pork pie. Similar to curries, some just aren't as good as others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •