Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    06-12-2021 @ 08:19 AM
    Posts
    125

    Sometimes you wonder do they really want us expats here


  2. #2
    Thailand Expat havnfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Happy Land
    Posts
    1,696
    Yeah bb, we are fine, as long as we can prove that we can pay for ourselves and not be a burden the Thai taxpayer, They have it hard enough as it is.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    7,000
    I'm four minutes in, and looking at the Heading and its more of a walk and talk about, is it going to get interesting?

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    4,244
    ^
    You lasted 3.5 mins more than me.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat havnfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Happy Land
    Posts
    1,696
    I just commented without Viewing it at all, They're all the same, well 95% all the same.

  6. #6
    I am not a cat
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    17,082
    Dude, learn how to wear a mask correctly.

    It is not rocket science.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    7,000
    I finished at 7 mins seems he got a bogus govt official trying to scam him, and he's not really happy about the retirement visa changes.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    38,828
    Without looking at the whole video, he’s talking about companies like Wise (TransferWise.) Immigration or Bank of Thailand doesn’t want to let retirees use money sent by those companies because those companies use accounts which already have the money in baht to disperse from. The retiree’s bank statement doesn’t show deposits as a foreign transfer.

  9. #9
    Member Samuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1955 View Post
    Sometimes you wonder do they really want us expats here
    On the more general topic — I'm guessing part of the "new normal" will be for Thailand to try to keep out the "undesirable" expats which is a good idea and since Pattaya will likely be reborn a bit different, they won't have a place to go, anyways,

    Hope the "new normal" also means china keeps their busloads of loud, obnoxious tourists at home.

    Unlikely, though one can wish.

  10. #10
    Chinese spy sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    35,056
    Dream on.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Saint Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Posts
    10,892
    Fat, alcoholic losers and dead beat dads in Chiang Mai are not all that desirable either. In fact, a bus load of Chinese tourists right be preferred.

  12. #12
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    06-12-2021 @ 08:19 AM
    Posts
    125
    Not close , wasnt a government official
    Last edited by bb1955; 28-10-2021 at 06:53 AM.

  13. #13
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    06-12-2021 @ 08:19 AM
    Posts
    125
    Willy I agree with the first part second part not so sure !!!
    Last edited by bb1955; 28-10-2021 at 06:50 AM.

  14. #14
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    06-12-2021 @ 08:19 AM
    Posts
    125
    I agree with you , but usually these changes only seem to effect those of us that have been here a while and want to do things the proper way . The undesirables seem to slip through the cracks or find other ways to get in . As for the obnoxious one . Im dreading it

  15. #15
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    06-12-2021 @ 08:19 AM
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    On the more general topic — I'm guessing part of the "new normal" will be for Thailand to try to keep out the "undesirable" expats which is a good idea and since Pattaya will likely be reborn a bit different, they won't have a place to go, anyways,

    Hope the "new normal" also means china keeps their busloads of loud, obnoxious tourists at home.

    Unlikely, though one can wish.
    I aggree with you but you and I know the undesirables find there way in no matter what changes they make and usuallly the changes have more effect on those of us that have been here a while and try and do things right . As Far as the obnoxious ones we can only hope ..

  16. #16
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    06-12-2021 @ 08:19 AM
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    Without looking at the whole video, he’s talking about companies like Wise (TransferWise.) Immigration or Bank of Thailand doesn’t want to let retirees use money sent by those companies because those companies use accounts which already have the money in baht to disperse from. The retiree’s bank statement doesn’t show deposits as a foreign transfer.
    Yes your correct , but I ve got mine sorted out now , I think

  17. #17
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    06-12-2021 @ 08:19 AM
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
    Yeah bb, we are fine, as long as we can prove that we can pay for ourselves and not be a burden the Thai taxpayer, They have it hard enough as it is.
    I agree with that part I just wish they d use a little common sense when looking at ways to determine we have the funds

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,321
    After reading some of the comments I did not bother watching the video. So I cant really comment at anything he said. but as a general comment, I share in the prevailing attitude that they don't really want us , what they wan is our money
    It's not like it is a secret. They say they want to attract wealthy tourists. I am sure that's not because wealthy tourist are more polite nice people.
    But that's not different than any other country. Do you really want foreigners there?
    No you want them for what they bring in, if not money, then skills, or labor or... But you certainly don't want them because you want foreigners in your country.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    30,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    But that's not different than any other country. Do you really want foreigners there?
    No you want them for what they bring in, if not money, then skills, or labor or... But you certainly don't want them because you want foreigners in your country.
    This fairly well sums it up - why should the country welcome foreigners to take up residence if not for the reasons mentioned by Banzai. Take away the 'skills' as most of those are reserved for locals and you have money . . . and hardly anyone here wold qualify.
    Once the place gets their crap in order on the education front English teachers will be out as well.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1955 View Post
    I just wish they d use a little common sense
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    what they wan is our money
    The published, to all, rule is, "from a foreign source".

    It is up to the applicant to determine and deliver what is required, in a format determined by Thai officials.

    Primarily your local TIO, to the best of their knowledge, but ultimately Bangkok based officials.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    30,515
    What are you waffling on about?

  22. #22
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    06-12-2021 @ 08:19 AM
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    After reading some of the comments I did not bother watching the video. So I cant really comment at anything he said. but as a general comment, I share in the prevailing attitude that they don't really want us , what they wan is our money
    It's not like it is a secret. They say they want to attract wealthy tourists. I am sure that's not because wealthy tourist are more polite nice people.
    But that's not different than any other country. Do you really want foreigners there?
    No you want them for what they bring in, if not money, then skills, or labor or... But you certainly don't want them because you want foreigners in your country.
    I dont think it was always like this , plus I think in general Thai people lik eus being here atleast the ones I meet and know.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1955 View Post
    I think in general Thai people lik eus being here
    You read, speak and understand Thai?

  24. #24
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    06-12-2021 @ 08:19 AM
    Posts
    125
    Why ?
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    You read, speak and understand Thai?

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    38,828
    ^ Never mind him. He is a loon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •