Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    43,110

    Pattaya Khao Kheow Open Zoo welcomes first baby white rhino

    Khao Khew Open Zoo welcomed the first baby white rhino to the family today, November 11th.


    Tewin Rattanawongsawat, the zoo’s director, revealed that Khao Khew Open Zoo is proud to present its first white rhino baby to the public, adding the sixth member to the white rhino family at the zoo.

    The new rhino baby was a male born to the 8-year-old mother “Grittji” and the 17-year-old father “Zoody.” The baby is under close monitoring by veterinarians, although he is in good health and strong.


    White rhinos are the second-largest land animals after elephants. They can grow up to 3-5 meters in length and 1.5–2 meters in height. The creature can weigh up to 1.8–2.7 tons when fully grown, while its horn can lengthen as many as 1.5 meters. The white rhino is named so because of its distinct gray color.

    Khao Khew Open Zoo is inviting visitors to help pick the name for the baby between “Power” and “Junior” at the zoo. One lucky participant will be rewarded with a special one-year ticket for free!

    Attention Required! | Cloudflare

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,559
    Normally I would be concerned about endangered species being kept in captivity, but at least it stops the chinkies eating them all.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,671
    As zoos go it's one of the better ones.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,857
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    As zoos go it's one of the better ones.
    You have that right, especially with kid or kids.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,559
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    As zoos go it's one of the better ones.
    How high is the bar though?

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,857
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    How high is the bar though?
    Harry its a damn good open zoo with nice big enclosures for all the animals. One of the best I have been too.

    Perhaps go have a look before you begin........

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,559
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Harry its a damn good open zoo with nice big enclosures for all the animals. One of the best I have been too.

    Perhaps go have a look before you begin........
    I asked a question. Get back in your rocking chair you grumpy old c u n t.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,857
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    I asked a question. Get back in your rocking chair you grumpy old c u n t.
    Sure you did Harry you forum flirting gadfly you.

    Of course you have never been there.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat prawnograph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    2222nd Military Circle
    Posts
    2,218
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    As zoos go it's one of the better ones.
    I was in NZ in August and visited Auckland Zoo.

    The enclosures, far smaller than I expected of a modern zoo, though the Wellington zoo was worse, giraffes in a a fenced area maybe 50x50m, dreadful.

    Anyway, on to the white rhinoceros, these are in the Auckland zoo, and they've also (September) had a rhino calf born.


    Reminiscent of the stereotyped Pattaya expat -
    They use scent marking as a way of communication, as well as grunts, snorts, bellows and whistles.

    In the early 1900's, Southern white rhino numbers in the wild fell to less than a hundred. With the aid of rhino conservation organisations globally, there are now between 19,666 and 21,085 surviving: the highest number of all rhino species.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,559
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Sure you did Harry you forum flirting gadfly you.

    Of course you have never been there.
    What are you babbling on about now?

    Stop acting like a retard and go and have a cup of tea.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,857
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    What are you babbling on about now?
    Just having a laugh at you. As it seems most of the board is.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    33,291
    Yea . . . nah.

    You want to talk about 'better ones' . . . Taronga Park, Berlin, Singapore, San Diego, Schönbrunn etc . . .


    It's a good zoo for Thai standards

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,559
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Just having a laugh at you. As it seems most of the board is.
    That would require you actually being funny.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,559
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    Yea . . . nah.

    You want to talk about 'better ones' . . . Taronga Park, Berlin, Singapore, San Diego, Schönbrunn etc . . .


    It's a good zoo for Thai standards
    Yes, I was talking about Thai standards.

    Not much to do to beat Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc. Having said that, the old c u n t probably has his photo with a drugged tiger somewhere.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,857
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Not much to do to beat Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc. Having said that, the old c u n t probably has his photo with a drugged tiger somewhere.
    Never thought of that, and its not at Khao Keow. But obviously you were at some time smiling and holding one.

    Pity you left the sandpit Harry, when there your lack of knowledge of Thailand was no big deal, but now that you live here its become hilarious. Keep on frenzy posting Harry, even I admit 1/10 of your posts is pretty good.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,559
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Never thought of that, and its not at Khao Keow. But obviously you were at some time smiling and holding one.

    Pity you left the sandpit Harry, when there your lack of knowledge of Thailand was no big deal, but now that you live here its become hilarious. Keep on frenzy posting Harry, even I admit 1/10 of your posts is pretty good.

    Yeah OK Johnny Morris, go and have another cuppa.

  17. #17
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    As zoos go it's one of the better ones.
    I've been fairly disappointed with zoos in Asia...so you're saying this will change my opinion?

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,857
    Quote Originally Posted by TTraveler View Post
    I've been fairly disappointed with zoos in Asia...so you're saying this will change my opinion?
    Very much so. By the way Harry has never been there, but knows all about it. Google, dont you know.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,671
    Quote Originally Posted by TTraveler View Post
    I've been fairly disappointed with zoos in Asia...so you're saying this will change my opinion?
    Well I don't know what your opinion is.

    I like it. But I also visit the Samut Prakan crocodile farm so I'm obviously not massively into animal rights

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,559
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Very much so. By the way Harry has never been there, but knows all about it. Google, dont you know.
    The trouble with you wittering curmudgeons is that you can't actually read.

    All this nonsense from me asking if this particular zoo was much better than the shit ones I've previously visited in Thailand.

    Of course you've only visited this one and now you think you're David Attenborough.
    Warning: Be cautious if you are a fragile pink

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,559
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    Well I don't know what your opinion is.

    I like it. But I also visit the Samut Prakan crocodile farm so I'm obviously not massively into animal rights
    "Visit"?

    That's a regular thing?

    What's the attraction or are you disposing of evidence?


  22. #22
    Thailand Expat armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,671
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    "Visit"?

    That's a regular thing?

    What's the attraction or are you disposing of evidence?

    Nice day out. What's not to love about feeding whole chickens to a crocodile?

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,559
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    Nice day out. What's not to love about feeding whole chickens to a crocodile?
    I did see a video of people feeding watermelons and pumpkins to hippos so I suppose I see where you're coming from.

    Although it sort of reminded me of the sort of Pattaya beer bar AO probably frequents.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •