Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,602

    Another Bangkok Taxi Bandit

    And he would have got away with it if it wasn't fer them pesky.... er..... Singaporeans.

    SINGAPORE — A taxi driver in Bangkok allegedly tried to cheat a Singaporean couple of their fare and, at one point, took out a knife in an attempt to intimidate the couple, who had travelled to the Thai capital to attend a friend’s wedding.

    Speaking to TODAY, Ms Naomi Tan, 30, said: “We were so shocked. Just earlier on, I was still thinking that it’s so safe here.” She had filmed and published a video of the incident on TikTok, where it has since gone viral.

    Ms Tan, who works for a bank, said that the incident happened on Monday (July 11) when she and her husband were travelling to Suvarnabhumi Airport to catch their 8.20am flight home.


    The couple had been staying at Movenpick Hotel Sukhumvit 15 Bangkok and the staff members there had offered to help them hail a taxi from the road.


    The couple and the driver agreed on a fixed fare of 400 baht (S$15), after the driver refused to use the taximeter to determine the price.


    Upon arriving at the airport, Ms Tan gave the driver a 1,000 baht note because she did not have smaller ones but he refused to return their change.

    Ms Tan said that the driver “turned aggressive” once he had the note in hand, and when they kept pressing him for the change, he even pulled out a knife that had been stashed in the compartment at the side door of the driver’s seat.
    Ms Tan added that the knife appeared to be wrapped in a paper towel or cloth.

    “We didn’t expect that… At that point, I was just reacting to the whole situation. I even managed to zoom in on the knife and I was so surprised that I did that at that time,” she recalled.


    It was only after the couple approached an airport security guard for help did the taxi driver finally relent and return their change.


    As the couple was early for their flight, they decided to file a police report at a police station located within the airport.

    "He's taking advantage of the fact that people are in a rush to go to the airport and won't pursue it," Ms Tan said.

    She added that four people had commented on her video, claiming that something similar happened to them in Bangkok. One of them claimed that they had been cheated by the same taxi driver.

    Ms Tan said that she received an email from the airport police on Wednesday, confirming that they had contacted the taxi driver to interrogate him and to check his driver's licence and criminal record. They then took him to the Suvarnabhumi Airport Local Police Station so that he could be charged for carrying a weapon in public.


    The airport police also said in their email that they had informed the Thai Department of Land Transport about the incident.


    TODAY has reached out to the Suvarnabhumi Airport Police for comment.

    S'porean tells of ordeal with Bangkok taxi driver who tried to cheat her, pulled out knife to threaten her - TODAY

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    YourDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Council flat. Thanks suckers!
    Posts
    4,532
    People get married, travel, fuck to get some excitement out of their boring life. They should have tipped the cab driver.

  3. #3
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    29,076
    ^Yet more crap trolling.


  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,861
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    ^Yet more crap trolling.
    The last couple of weeks he has been on a role. Completely freaked out on the reality of becoming a "father".

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,602
    Quote Originally Posted by YourDaddy View Post
    People get married, travel, fuck to get some excitement out of their boring life. They should have tipped the cab driver.
    What, on top of the 150% over the (already inflated) fare he'd already tried to pocket?

    You're retarded.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 AM
    Posts
    16,550
    The lower sois, odd numbers from 15 down, are infested with taxis that park in situ waiting for an innocent or a hotel flunky to flag them. These guys are known pigs. They block the street, harass passers-by and huddle in knots scratching their fat bellies and obstructing pavements.

    Whenever I want one there I hail a cab that is passing. Swampy is around 250-300 on the meter.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,067
    the swampy grand prix stuck in the back of a seatbeltless corolla piloted by a wide eyed and booze breathed madman in a hurry (and possibly also video calling his wife) whilst straining to see out of a windscreen obscured by stickers, phones and filth is no way to start a journey.

    a short taxi ride from sukhumvit to makkasan and then on to the airport link skytrain (30kms in 30 mins and around 40 or 50 baht) guarantees a fright free journey and you will arrive at the airport unruffled.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    3,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    Whenever I want one there I hail a cab that is passing.
    Always the better option but not so easy if you are a long way down a busy soi with a couple of suitcases on a rainy day.

    The bandit who used to lurk down Soi 4 outside one of the hotels paid for his space in the street. Someone else had paid the police to ignore the taxi then sublet the 'space' to that driver. From memory he paid over Baht 100,000 per year. Obviously he needed to rip passengers off to recoup his investment. Which is not to justify the behaviour at all, only to point out that there is a food chain that starts with the police.

    When I can I use Grab now.

  9. #9
    I am not a cat
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,064
    ".... after the driver refused to use the taximeter to determine the price."

    That is the bail point. Sadly, you have to have experience to know that.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 AM
    Posts
    16,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutree View Post
    Always the better option but not so easy if you are a long way down a busy soi with a couple of suitcases on a rainy day.

    The bandit who used to lurk down Soi 4 outside one of the hotels paid for his space in the street. Someone else had paid the police to ignore the taxi then sublet the 'space' to that driver. From memory he paid over Baht 100,000 per year. Obviously he needed to rip passengers off to recoup his investment. Which is not to justify the behaviour at all, only to point out that there is a food chain that starts with the police.

    When I can I use Grab now.
    Indeed, but the corruption is probably shared between the police, the mafia controlling that parish and the local BMA.

    Shitty people, shitty society.

    But what annoys me most is the 5 star hotel flunky who takes a backhander from the taxi cvunts and traps a punter who has just paid 6000+ baht for his hotel room into taking a ride that will most likely shaft the unwary. Fucking despicable and the managers of the hotel chains know this but do fuck all about it.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,067
    Shitty people, shitty society.
    that.

    given half a chance they will skin an unwary foreigner alive and then receive a good service medal from the authorities for doing so.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,602
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    a short taxi ride from sukhumvit to makkasan and then on to the airport link skytrain (30kms in 30 mins and around 40 or 50 baht) guarantees a fright free journey and you will arrive at the airport unruffled.
    What sort of witless wanker wants to try and lug heavy suitcases all over the place, especially on and off trains, so that you arrive at the airport sweaty, pungent and stressed?

    Ah right, you.




    FFS it's easy. Tell your concierge to hail a taxi and to tell the driver to turn the meter on or fuck off.

    There may be the odd occasion where he might actually have to do the latter, but never twice.

    Let them do the heavy lifting and reward them with a commensurate tip for providing you an effortless airport transfer.
    Warning: Be cautious if you are a fragile pink

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,067
    What sort of witless wanker wants to try and lug heavy suitcases all over the place, especially on and off trains,
    you are obviously a cheapskate (suzuki swift) and you no doubt drag a poorly wheeled sqeuaky mah boon krong chinese made knock off case or even or a "look at me, i'm old but i'm still a dudester" backpack/offshore workers kitbag around when you travel.

    a high quality suitcase, such as a samsonite, with 4 wheels and silicone bearings glides as if on air and no effort at all is required.

    better the train than have my suitcase thrown into the boot of a clapped out bangkok taxi where it will sit in the heat picking up traces of the drivers firearms and stash of amphetamines and cannabis. just the sort of hassle you need when those traces get sniffed by the dogs at singapore or malaysia.


  14. #14
    Custom Title Changer
    Topper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,694
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    you are obviously a cheapskate (suzuki swift) and you no doubt drag a poorly wheeled sqeuaky mah boon krong chinese made knock off case or even or a "look at me, i'm old but i'm still a dudester" backpack/offshore workers kitbag around when you travel.
    I commuted on the airport link for a year. The airport link sucks, it's always packed. It was so packed with people that I started taking a taxi and paying the extra fare rather than packing onto that train. Only the insane, desperate, broke or ignorant would ever take that train, especially with luggage. Many times, only 10-12 people could board at Makkasan, I'd see very long lines there of people waiting to squeeze on the train.

    Also, if the taxi looks dodgy, don't take it. If the driver won't turn on the meter, get out. No drama needed. I've done it lots of times.
    "I was a good student. I comprehend very well, OK, better than I think almost anybody," - President Trump comparing his legal knowledge to a Federal judge.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,669
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post

    a high quality suitcase, such as a samsonite, with 4 wheels and silicone bearings glides as if on air and no effort at all is required.
    Hello expensive suitcase, meet the average Bangkok path.

    "Taxi!"

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    reinvented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Location
    top of soi 2
    Posts
    2,327
    ^^
    airport links not been too bad since Covid but could well change back. i only ever use it between Hua mak and the airport (or vice versa) or getting on at Phaya Thai

    95% of the Taxi lads are ok but yeah same as anywhere no meter no journey.
    and never give em a 1000
    we won it at wemberlee
    we on it in gay paree...

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    I commuted on the airport link for a year. The airport link sucks, it's always packed. It was so packed with people that I started taking a taxi and paying the extra fare rather than packing onto that train. Only the insane, desperate, broke or ignorant would ever take that train, especially with luggage. Many times, only 10-12 people could board at Makkasan, I'd see very long lines there of people waiting to squeeze on the train.

    Also, if the taxi looks dodgy, don't take it. If the driver won't turn on the meter, get out. No drama needed. I've done it lots of times.
    i've only ever used it late at night, my flights usually leave at 1am or 2 am, and the airport link has been brilliant. a quick ride from sukhumvit to makkasan and then the train. its never been crowded.

    its not the taxi fare thats the problem, but the expressway is empty late at night and the 160 kph taxi ride scares me shitless. its been foot to the floor all the way and at that time of night many drivers are probably way over the alcohol limit and thats not the start to a long trip that i want, so i will let the train take the strain.

  18. #18
    Custom Title Changer
    Topper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,694
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    its not the taxi fare thats the problem, but the expressway is empty late at night and the 160 kph taxi ride scares me shitless. its been foot to the floor all the way and at that time of night many drivers are probably way over the alcohol limit and thats not the start to a long trip that i want, so i will let the train take the strain.
    It's all about perception....I doubt that many taxi drivers are the way you describe them....from my experience, quite the opposite.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    dirk diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    6,874
    I had a taxi driver on the way into town from the airport, pulls out a folded in half newspaper onto the steering wheel and starts reading it on the expressway at speed.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    can123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    30-10-2022 @ 10:17 PM
    Posts
    5,546
    Don Muang to Pattaya - 50 minutes courtesy of YaaBaa

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,602
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    you are obviously a cheapskate
    Because I would prefer to use a taxi than try and save a few baht by using the train like you.

    Yes, you were dropped on the head as a baby, weren't you?


  22. #22
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Only the insane, desperate, broke or ignorant would ever take that train, especially with luggage.
    That's exactly who's recommending it. Fits into all four categories, too.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    89,602
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
    I had a taxi driver on the way into town from the airport, pulls out a folded in half newspaper onto the steering wheel and starts reading it on the expressway at speed.
    I had one start a video call.

    I told him to turn it off.

    He did.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    14,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    Swampy is around 250-300 on the meter.

    If the BHT 400 included the Tolls, close enough to a fare price?

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,861
    To the city center yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •