Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    84,714

    Egg prices soar to B3 each

    Prices of chicken eggs shot up by five to six baht per tray of 30 on Monday, with the Layer Chickens Association attributing the increase to the high cost of feed and farm drugs.
    Association president Manote Chuthapthim said egg prices had risen from 2.80 baht apiece to three baht because farmers could no longer carry the increasing costs.
    The cost of feed was not expected to fall in the foreseeable future.
    Even so, ex-farm prices of eggs in mixed sizes must not exceed 3.44 baht apiece, as the Egg Board had set the mark-up ceiling at no more than 20% of cost, Mr Manote said.
    Prices would eventually decrease during the school term break and the annual vegetarian festival, he said, but did not explain why. Nor did he explain farm drug costs.
    The country currently has about 50 million laying hens that produce around 40 million eggs a day, most for the domestic market, according to the association.
    In Nakhon Sawan province on Monday, eggs had risen by 20 satang each, or six baht a tray.
    Sangwian Maidaeng, a restaurant owner, said pork had risen to 240 to 250 baht a kilogramme last week, but he did not want to raise prices. Now, with the increase in egg prices on Monday morning, he had no choice but to pass on the added cost.
    "I can't keep prices unchanged because I can't carry the higher operating costs. I'm not even sure if I can continue running the restaurant because higher prices may result in fewer customers," Mr Sangwian said.
    At a wet market in Khon Kaen province, size 0 eggs were being sold at 120 baht a tray, with smaller sizes ranging from 105 to 80 baht a tray.
    Jetsada Champanui, an egg vendor, said customers were the ones suffering because they also had to cope with the higher price of pork.
    "I believe egg prices could go up still further, because a tray of eggs increased by 10 baht in August last year.
    "The government should fix the price at three baht a piece," Mr Jetsada said.

    Egg prices soar to B3 each
    Warning: Be cautious if you are a fragile pink

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    4,516
    OMG - I will never visit Thailand again, this is the final straw.

  3. #3
    I am not a cat
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    17,520
    "Soar"?

    Really? 2.8 baht to 3.0 qualifies as "soar"?.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,872
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Prices of chicken eggs shot up by five to six baht per tray of 30 on Monday, with the Layer Chickens Association attributing the increase to the high cost of feed and farm drugs
    When chickens start doing drugs is where I draw the line.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    6,722
    3 Baht is eggstortionate!

  6. #6
    I'm in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    25-05-2022 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    7,134
    Well considering many Thais live on a pittance, and many prices are increasing on lots of products, I'm sure a 20 satang increase per egg can affect their spending habits.
    Last edited by Chico; 10-01-2022 at 08:26 PM.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    10,646
    One day they might all have to stamp the date the egg was laid...horror.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'm sure a 2 satang increase per egg can affect their spending habits.
    Not real good at math either eh? That would be 20 satang per egg. "eggstortionate" as Mendid has stated.

  9. #9
    I'm in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    25-05-2022 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    7,134
    Thank you Vagina, has your coffee gone up in price yet?

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    malmomike77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'm sure a 20 satang increase per egg
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Not real good at math either eh? That would be 20 satang per egg.
    Ain't that what he said?

  11. #11
    I'm in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    25-05-2022 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    7,134
    No I edited it, though did mean too post 20

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    40,758
    Commerce Ministry Will Take Action Against Egg Profiteering

    BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Commerce has warned vendors that it will take legal action against profiteering following a recent spike in egg prices.


    Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said the Internal Trade Department is monitoring egg prices in order to lessen the impact on consumers who have already been facing rising pork prices. He said the ministry had not approved the raising of chicken or egg prices and warned business owners that unauthorized price hikes can be deemed illegal.


    Wattanasak Sur-iam, director-general of the Internal Trade Department, meanwhile said an agreement was reached following discussions between the department, chicken egg producers, merchants and exporters, as well as with the Livestock Department. Farmers and egg vendors will maintain the price of their assorted chicken eggs at 3 baht per egg for six months. The Livestock Department also agreed to increase the number of laying hens in order to boost egg supplies, while the Internal Trade Department will consult with agencies about lowering production costs for chicken egg producers.


    According to the Layer Chickens Association, the price of chicken eggs increased by 5-6 baht for each tray of 30 eggs on Monday due to higher costs for feed and veterinary treatments. Manote Chuthapthim, president of the association, said farmers could no longer maintain the same egg prices as before due to increased expenditures. The prices, however, are likely to fall during annual vegetarian festivities and semester breaks.


    According to the association, Thailand currently has around 50 million chickens capable of laying eggs, yielding some 40 million eggs per day - the majority of which are for domestic consumption.


    https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/d...20111144240805

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    6,722
    An increase of 2.8 Baht to 3.0 Baht is over 7%.

    It's no yolk.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    17,564
    Well considering many Thais live on a pittance
    if they cut down on their tobacco, alcohol, gambling and mobile phone use, the chickenheads might then have enough to buy some eggs.

  15. #15
    Custom Title Changer
    Topper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    When chickens start doing drugs is where I draw the line.
    So, you're saying it's ok for you, but not chickens?

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    No I edited it, though did mean too post 20

    mean to post

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    Commerce Ministry Will Take Action Against Egg Profiteering

    BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Commerce has warned vendors that it will take legal action against profiteering following a recent spike in egg prices.


    Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said the Internal Trade Department is monitoring egg prices in order to lessen the impact on consumers who have already been facing rising pork prices. He said the ministry had not approved the raising of chicken or egg prices and warned business owners that unauthorized price hikes can be deemed illegal.


    Wattanasak Sur-iam, director-general of the Internal Trade Department, meanwhile said an agreement was reached following discussions between the department, chicken egg producers, merchants and exporters, as well as with the Livestock Department. Farmers and egg vendors will maintain the price of their assorted chicken eggs at 3 baht per egg for six months. The Livestock Department also agreed to increase the number of laying hens in order to boost egg supplies, while the Internal Trade Department will consult with agencies about lowering production costs for chicken egg producers.


    According to the Layer Chickens Association, the price of chicken eggs increased by 5-6 baht for each tray of 30 eggs on Monday due to higher costs for feed and veterinary treatments. Manote Chuthapthim, president of the association, said farmers could no longer maintain the same egg prices as before due to increased expenditures. The prices, however, are likely to fall during annual vegetarian festivities and semester breaks.


    According to the association, Thailand currently has around 50 million chickens capable of laying eggs, yielding some 40 million eggs per day - the majority of which are for domestic consumption.


    Commerce Ministry Will Take Action Against Egg Profiteering

    That’s almost an egg a day per person:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •