Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    33,650

    China warns it will detain American nationals following DOJ prosecution of Chinese

    The Chinese government has repeatedly warned American officials that they could possibly detain United States nationals in China due to the Justice Departmentís prosecution of Chinese military-affiliated scholars, people familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal.


    The sources said that the message, which has been issued through the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and multiple other channels, says that until U.S. officials drop charges against the scholars, Chinese officials may arrest Americans currently residing in the country.


    According to the Journal, the sources confirmed that over the summer, the U.S. began detaining Chinese scientists conducting research at American universities over charges of concealing to U.S. immigration authorities their active duty statuses with the Peopleís Liberation Army.

    The Journal had reported on the arrests in August, along with allegations from U.S. officials that Chinese diplomats were using these scientists as part of an intelligence-gathering scheme.

    MORE China warns it will detain American nationals following DOJ prosecution of Chinese scholars: report | TheHill

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,219
    ...might be time for US teachers, scholars, and businessmen to quietly slip away (if they already haven't) before they wind up like the 2 Canadians incarcerated by the Chinese in retaliation for the Huawei exec in Canadian custody...

  3. #3
    Busy gal
    MarilynMonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,203
    ^Exactly, tc. I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to do so. I know they were also arresting Canadians when all of these trade wars were happening and then eventually detaining the two Canadians. I left China at the right time as it was just before all of this shit hit the fan.. and then Covid happened.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    71,021
    "Scholars"



  5. #5
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,077
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    might be time for US teachers, scholars, and businessmen to quietly slip away (if they already haven't) before they wind up like the 2 Canadians incarcerated by the Chinese in retaliation for the Huawei exec in Canadian custody...
    Yes, and it also might be time that Trudeau went from being "deeply concerned" to actually retaliating in a way that hurts the Chinese. Revoking the bitches bail and throwing her in jail would be a good start.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe View Post
    I know they were also arresting Canadians when all of these trade wars were happening
    Link?

  6. #6
    Lone Monarchist
    Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe View Post
    ^Exactly, tc. I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to do so. I know they were also arresting Canadians when all of these trade wars were happening and then eventually detaining the two Canadians. I left China at the right time as it was just before all of this shit hit the fan.. and then Covid happened.
    Umm the Canadians fired the first shot in that fucking case by kidnapping the telecom exec on orders from the USA. For some utterly ridiculous reason that she was personally responsible for breaking Iran sanctions

  7. #7
    Lone Monarchist
    Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    Yes, and it also might be time that Trudeau went from being "deeply concerned" to actually retaliating in a way that hurts the Chinese. Revoking the bitches bail and throwing her in jail would be a good start.



    Link?
    Retaliate for something that the Canadians started ? Yeah.ok.

    China has far far too much patience for a nuclear power

  8. #8
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    Retaliate for something that the Canadians started ? Yeah.ok.

    China has far far too much patience for a nuclear power
    The only reason you support China on this is because you want to fuck the corporate princess. If she was completely butt ugly you'd be calling for her jailing too socal.

  9. #9
    Busy gal
    MarilynMonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,203
    ^^bs,, China has been abusing human rights for a long time, Trudeau didn't have the balls to stand up to China, but is finally doing so.

    You can read more about it here... towards the end of the article..
    Trudeau says Canada will not be cowed by China on human rights | Canada | Al Jazeera

    In August this year, a Chinese court in Guangzhou also sentenced a Canadian national Xu Weihong to death for drug-related charges.
    Last year, two other Canadians, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg and Fan Wei, were also sentenced to death in separate drug cases.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    04-11-2020 @ 09:51 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    5,907
    nowt wrong with a bit of diplomatic tit for tat

  11. #11
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Isolation
    Posts
    6,077
    Quote Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe View Post
    Trudeau didn't have the balls to stand up to China, but is finally doing so.
    How so? Other than being "deeply concerned", he's done fuck all. When the US put tariffs on aluminum, he responded with tariffs almost immediately. When it comes to China he just spews out more harmless diplo-speak gobbledygook. He's a pussy.

  12. #12
    Lone Monarchist
    Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    The only reason you support China on this is because you want to fuck the corporate princess. If she was completely butt ugly you'd be calling for her jailing too socal.
    I did feature her in my "would you ?" thread. She's maybe just doable but not much else.

    I used to be a supporter of the Anglo empire worldview. But one can only absorb so many lies and utter bullshit. In most of these cases with Russia and China, we are the dishonest fuckers.

  13. #13
    Lone Monarchist
    Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe View Post
    ^^bs,, China has been abusing human rights for a long time, Trudeau didn't have the balls to stand up to China, but is finally doing so.

    You can read more about it here... towards the end of the article..
    Trudeau says Canada will not be cowed by China on human rights | Canada | Al Jazeera

    In August this year, a Chinese court in Guangzhou also sentenced a Canadian national Xu Weihong to death for drug-related charges.
    Last year, two other Canadians, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg and Fan Wei, were also sentenced to death in separate drug cases.
    Oh cut out the nonsense. Countries like Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore put people to death all the time for drug charges. Did Canada level sanctions against any one of them ? No.

    Indonesia killed a couple Australians a few years ago for drug charges. Show me the sanctions that Canada leveled against them.

  14. #14
    Busy gal
    MarilynMonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    How so? Other than being "deeply concerned", he's done fuck all. When the US put tariffs on aluminum, he responded with tariffs almost immediately. When it comes to China he just spews out more harmless diplo-speak gobbledygook. He's a pussy.
    If you check the article, he recently granted asylum to a Hong Kong couple, but I do agree he hasn't done enough.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •