Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    34,575

    Vietnam bans wildlife imports, markets amid new health fears

    HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — Vietnam announced Friday that it was banning wildlife imports and would close wildlife markets in response to renewed concerns about the threat from diseases that can jump from animals to humans, such as the virus that causes COVID-19.


    An order signed by Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc on Thursday bans all imports of wildlife dead or alive and includes eggs and larvae. It also merits tougher penalties for crimes involving the trade in wildlife.


    Vietnam has been a popular destination for wildlife products — often from endangered species — that are used in traditional medicine or in preparing exotic cuisine. The move comes amid increased scrutiny of the health risks of the wildlife trade as the world deals with the new coronavirus, which is thought to have jumped from animals to humans.


    “The existence of wildlife markets in many locations has been a big problem in Vietnam for a long time,” said Phuong Tham, country director for the Humane Society International Vietnam.


    “This rapacious appetite for wildlife is endangering not just these species’ survival, but as we have seen with the coronavirus outbreak, it is endangering people’s lives too. So this ban can’t come soon enough,” Tham said.


    The new directive includes recommendations that conservationists have been making for years, including cracking down on domestic markets, said Steve Galster, the director of Freeland, a group working on ending the wildlife trade.


    “COVID-19 elevated the issue of wildlife trade, so Vietnamese lawmakers got involved with the issue in the past few months and helped push the directive forward,” he said.


    The directive is not perfect as it still has exceptions that will allow some trade in wild animals to continue, but it is a good start and can hopefully made stronger over time, Galster said.


    The Australian government on Saturday welcomed the decision. Agriculture Minister David Littleproud said Vietnam’s crackdown was a huge win for global public health.


    “Vietnam is reducing the risk of future pandemics and showing the world how we can manage these markets into the future,” Littleproud said. “All nations have a responsibility to keep people safe from harm and regulating the production and sale of wild animals that carry diseases is a critical part of that.


    He said the Vietnamese government should be congratulated for their leadership in taking “evidence-based approach to reducing the risk of animal to human diseases being spread. Australia will also continue to pursue global reforms on this issue where other opportunities exist.”

    Vietnam bans wildlife imports, markets amid new health fears – Thai PBS World

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    72,396
    Good if they are serious about it.

  3. #3
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,472
    Vietnamese food sucks. The only thing they do well is fish and noodles.
    Was once taken to an old french mountain top resort near Hanoi for lunch. The old French colonial hall was interesting.
    Apparently it's where the colonisers used to party on their breaks because it's just a couple of degrees cooler up so high.
    Anyway lunch was forest bird. According to my host they string a net up high in the forrest and whatever birds end up in it is what's for lunch/dinner.
    It was fucking awful.
    You'd think they could have at least learned some tasty cooking techniques from the Chinese. (Not that Chinese food is that great but still)
    “If we stop testing right now we’d have very few cases, if any.” Donald J Trump.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    72,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Vietnamese food sucks. The only thing they do well is fish and noodles.
    Was once taken to an old french mountain top resort near Hanoi for lunch. The old French colonial hall was interesting.
    Apparently it's where the colonisers used to party on their breaks because it's just a couple of degrees cooler up so high.
    Anyway lunch was forest bird. According to my host they string a net up high in the forrest and whatever birds end up in it is what's for lunch/dinner.
    It was fucking awful.
    You'd think they could have at least learned some tasty cooking techniques from the Chinese. (Not that Chinese food is that great but still)
    I'm couldn't disagree more with that opinion, but each to their own.

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    26-07-2020 @ 02:27 PM
    Posts
    179
    What about snake wine ? can we still drink it ?

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,615
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    I'm couldn't disagree more with that opinion, but each to their own.
    Makes two of us.

  7. #7
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,472
    Well name me some tasty Vietnamese dishes apart from pho bo ?
    Actually I dont mind the prawns rolled in rice paper.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    72,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Well name me some tasty Vietnamese dishes apart from pho bo ?
    Actually I dont mind the prawns rolled in rice paper.
    You seemed to indicate one bad meal is what swung it for you.

    I've had a lot more shit food in Thailand than I have in Vietnam.

  10. #10
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,472
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    You seemed to indicate one bad meal is what swung it for you.

    I've had a lot more shit food in Thailand than I have in Vietnam.
    I've found the opposite. Even ordering randomly in Thailand I end up with something good.
    In Vietnam meals are always (nearly) ordered by the customer so it's what they eat and like and it's nearly always unidentifiable and bloody awful.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    72,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    I've found the opposite. Even ordering randomly in Thailand I end up with something good.
    In Vietnam meals are always (nearly) ordered by the customer so it's what they eat and like and it's nearly always unidentifiable and bloody awful.
    Anywhere food ordered by the customer is what they eat and like.

    When travelling, I tend to order food to try it out.

    Like I said, I've had more indigestible garbage in Thailand than Vietnam by a country mile.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •