Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    32,013

    German retiree arrested for overstay

    A German man was arrested in Pathum Thaniís Lam Luk Ka district on Tuesday (June 23) for overstaying by 2,241 days.


    Gunther Zadrazil, 61, had last filed for an extension of his retirement visa in 2014, and not contacted the immigration office after that.

    Retirement visas are granted for a period of 12 months and must be renewed annually.

    ďThis operation is part of an urgent policy implemented by Immigration Police chief Pol Lt-General Sompong Chingduang to track down and deport overstaying foreigners to prevent them from using Thailand as a base for illegal operation during the Covid-19 shutdown,Ē said Pol Colonel Jaroenphong Khantilo, chief of Pathum Thani Immigration Police.

    People who have information on overstaying foreigners are encouraged to call the 1178 immigration police hotline.

    German retiree arrested for overstay

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    3,006
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    using Thailand as a base for illegal operation during the Covid-19 shutdown,”


    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    last filed for an extension of his retirement visa in 2014,
    Hardly a COVID issue.

  3. #3
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Gaslightingshire
    Posts
    17,816
    There's a cull in the pipeline.

  4. #4
    Member
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    360
    Six years is taking the piss. Gives all farangs a bad name.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:15 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,910
    Wonder what the fine will be

  6. #6
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutree View Post
    Six years is taking the piss. Gives all farangs a bad name.
    Many already have this distinguished honour [bad name] without too much effort.
    Comes by their nature.

  7. #7
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Gaslightingshire
    Posts
    17,816
    ^Much of it comes about through the inability to communicate clearly with the local population and a complete misunderstanding of the culture.

  8. #8
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,198
    Makes one wonder how HL gets by in Portland.

  9. #9
    Member
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien.
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    A German man was arrested in Pathum Thaniís Lam Luk Ka district on Tuesday (June 23) for overstaying by 2,241 days.


    Gunther Zadrazil, 61, had last filed for an extension of his retirement visa in 2014, and not contacted the immigration office after that.
    Probably a bit ironic him being taken away in a BMW.


    5 years overstay is a bit much, was there a big change in financial requirements around 2015? My extensions aren't based on retirement, but weren't the requirements bumped up to 800k savings from 400k, or 65k p/m from 40k p/m income a few years ago.

    Anyway, sad to see the elderly come a cropper like that.

  10. #10
    Its all gleaming
    NamPikToot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,550
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    “This operation is part of an urgent policy implemented by Immigration Police chief Pol Lt-General Sompong Chingduang to track down and deport overstaying foreigners to prevent them from using Thailand as a base for illegal operation during the Covid-19 shutdown,
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
    Anyway, sad to see the elderly come a cropper like that.
    Well he was clearly conducting some nefarious operation involving the 800K THB he'd freed up by not renewing.

  11. #11
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Gaslightingshire
    Posts
    17,816
    Quote Originally Posted by NamPikToot View Post
    Well he was clearly conducting some nefarious operation involving the 800K THB he'd freed up by not renewing.
    He probably didn't have it in the first instance.

  12. #12
    Member
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien.
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by NamPikToot View Post
    Well he was clearly conducting some nefarious operation involving the 800K THB he'd freed up by not renewing.


    The 5k per month house and car worth 40k baht were probably the clue to his illegal operations during Covid-19.

  13. #13
    Member
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 PM
    Posts
    727
    If he did not have the money in the bank for an extension,and did not want to go back , I guess it was either leave then, or wait and see how long it will be until they found him and send him back. I bet he was hopping never.
    Anyway. there is a 500 bht a day fine with a maximum overstay fine of 20,000 bht . so I guess after 40 days overstay you are on the free. you might as well let it ride. .
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

  14. #14
    Its all gleaming
    NamPikToot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,550
    Quote Originally Posted by NamPikToot View Post
    Well he was clearly conducting some nefarious operation involving the 800K THB he'd freed up by not renewing.
    EDIT

    add eau de irony

  15. #15
    Member
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien.
    Posts
    648
    ^^^ What an odd pic to change to.

  16. #16
    Member
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien.
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    Anyway. there is a 500 bht a day fine with a maximum overstay fine of 20,000 bht . so I guess after 40 days overstay you are on the free. you might as well let it ride. .
    The wife and her family probably won't like the blacklist.


    I guess he'll probably have to pay for the flight back + minimal IDC expenses to get deported. So 20k+ whatever. 50-60k in total. Cheaper than doing 5 years of Multi entry Visa runs, presuming he had a wife.



    Will probably be on the first flight from Germany to Cambodia. Living in a Phnom Penh hostel next to Phonm Penh Pat within a week.

  17. #17
    Member
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 PM
    Posts
    727
    I did not know he was married. In the article i read "Retirement visa" and I assumed he was single.
    On a retirement visa, if he was single he would need 800 K in the bank or 65 k per month income. If he did not have either of them then I guess the rest would had been academic.
    Of course I am speculating , other than the above article , I know nothing else about this case.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:40 AM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    2,954
    ^ Isaan is full of old guys who can't make the 800k in the bank requirement but visa agents temporarily take care of all that as part of the service.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Location
    nakhon ratchasima
    Posts
    1,510
    i have had well over my retirement amount in a bank that has never been touched for 11yrs.yet i am not registered in the system,hence i cannot do my 90day report on-line,so its no wonder those who have entered thailand before 2013,and dont have the funds, wont get caught unless someone reports them,so whats the point of giving imm.2,000bht,for fyuk all.but aggravation.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    67,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    ^ Isaan is full of old guys who can't make the 800k in the bank requirement but visa agents temporarily take care of all that as part of the service.
    When Phuket became a ghost town after 2004, there was a peripatetic Bt800,000, to which a number of people had contributed, being deposited in various bank accounts to get visas renewed.

    Of course I think it's supposed to be there for some period of time (two months seems to be the time most commonly mentioned), but enforcement is of course entirely random depending on where you live.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,280
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    but enforcement is of course entirely random depending on where you live.
    ..I don't think that's entirely true...unless you're referring to corruption...in which case, every eventuality is true...

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    67,327
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    ..I don't think that's entirely true...unless you're referring to corruption...in which case, every eventuality is true...
    I've heard differing times for how long the money stays in the bank depending on: What office you go to, what officer you deal with, what fucking mood they're in, your willingness to "improve their mood" *cough*, etc.

    In Phuket their only interest in that point was that the money was in the bank.

    May be different now of course, that was 15 years ago.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    Isaan is full of old guys who can't make the 800k in the bank requirement but visa agents temporarily take care of all that as part of the service.
    And there's probably more who can't make the 400K. The VA the choose due to good service is in Soi Post Office Pattaya. The Buriram IO are a bunch of scammers.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    If he did not have the money in the bank for an extension,and did not want to go back , I guess it was either leave then, or wait and see how long it will be until they found him and send him back. I bet he was hopping never.
    Anyway. there is a 500 bht a day fine with a maximum overstay fine of 20,000 bht . so I guess after 40 days overstay you are on the free. you might as well let it ride. .
    My understanding is if you're busted before handing yourself in, you could be arrested and face the music regardless of any overstay fine. I think years back there was a discussion on a board with someone supposedly knowledgeable in such matters, to the effect that even if you were waiting in an immigration office with a number and the correct fine tucked into your passport, intending to pay it, you could still technically be arrested before your number comes up.

    If they want you they got you.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    3,006
    Quote Originally Posted by jabir View Post
    I think years back there was a discussion on a board
    Always where I get my legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •