1. #5376
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    COVID is not killing people, our political incompetence is

    Thanks for yet more piercing insight from...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    in the real world


  2. #5377
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    You continue to repeat this without acknowledging that 80% of the population live in the southern third of the country. The main infection area is Stockholm and all deaths are included not just ones in hospital. You also fail to acknowledge that the hospitals are not overloaded and nearly 50% of deaths are from elderly care homes. Yes they have problems, but they are coping well without the need for a lockdown.

    The UK, on the other hand, is in deep pooh...
    The population density contradicts your argument (it's not as if Stockholm is more dense than London. The 10th largest city in Sweden (Helsingborg) is as big as UK:s 225th largest city (Chesterfield)).

    The population is FAR more dense in the UK:s big cities. It doesn't matter how you view the statistics - Sweden is doing a piss poor job at managing the pandemic. Deaths per million, infections per million, deaths and/or infections per million vs. population density.

    What the hell is it that you lot fail to comprehend? You ARE Donald Trump, aren't you? Basil Fawlty?

  3. #5378
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    9,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    Sweden is doing a piss poor job at managing the pandemic.
    It is way too early for such conclusions, the fat lady hasn't sung yet.

  4. #5379
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    are you a Trumptard? what facts? you posted some daily stats that don't mean anything except for office clerks or journalists,

    the statisticians look at long term trends and overall infections CDF, daily rates are irrelevant
    A trend is not data, it's an analysis of data. Here is the data:

    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19/master/csse_covid_19_data/csse_covid_19_time_series/time_series_covid19_confirmed_global.csv

    Make up your mind. Show us all now how fuckin clever you are. Give me an analysis of the long term trend..? Come on now, amateur!!! Show us all how clever you are!!

  5. #5380
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by lom View Post
    It is way too early for such conclusions, the fat lady hasn't sung yet.
    Completely agree. No one knows what the best way is until the results are in. At this point, we can only judge by the EXISTING data.

  6. #5381
    Member
    knowsitlike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    25-09-2020 @ 12:28 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    602
    ^ You are right FT, timely point; trend is an analysis of data, my view of the trend is more, and more people are going to get this virus!

  7. #5382
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by knowsitlike View Post
    ^ You are right FT, timely point; trend is an analysis of data, my view of the trend is more, and more people are going to get this virus!
    Yap, there are only a handful of countries with a negative trend. Sweden is actually one of the countries with a really bad trend.

    The COVID-2019 Thread-screenshot-2020-05-02-19-28-a

    The question is which country will end up with the highest CFR. So far, there are two successful ways of tackling this pandemic.
    1. Prevent citizens from being infected (lockdown as in New Zealand and South Korea)
    2. Test often to make sure you can begin treatment early (Germany)

    My guess is that in the end, unless a country had the correct strategy from the start, countries will end up with a figure that is proportionally equal to the population density in comparison with other countries.

    I'm talking strictly from a health and fatality perspective. Economically, I have a different view of who's managing this best.

  8. #5383
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    26-09-2020 @ 10:33 PM
    Posts
    14,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    A trend is not data, it's an analysis of data. Here is the data:

    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19/master/csse_covid_19_data/csse_covid_19_time_series/time_series_covid19_confirmed_global.csv

    Make up your mind. Show us all now how fuckin clever you are. Give me an analysis of the long term trend..? Come on now, amateur!!! Show us all how clever you are!!
    the long term trend is that we are still in a momentum for total infections, you really don't have a clue, and yes we use trends to analyze overall data, all calculation is about analyzing data, and trends calculation give you accurate information about the state of your data

    in simple terms, don't pay attention to daily rates, the total exposure is increasing, daily, and we can't stop it, and that's a fact. Numbers don't lie.

    and get yourself a degree in statistics
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 03-05-2020 at 01:48 AM.

  9. #5384
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    31,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    Economically, I have a different view of who's managing this best.
    I think countries that had to deal with Ebola have the experience to recover better then most. Kiwi's and Singapore are handling well and should recover economically better than most.

  10. #5385
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    26-09-2020 @ 10:33 PM
    Posts
    14,565
    SK doesn't have a total lockdown, where the fuck do you get your news????

    Germany didn't do a massive test for everyone, they are doing tests on suspect cases, like everyone else.

    I seriously hope you don't work in a government office, or have any say in the briefings for British politicians to take a decision

    but again that could explain all the mistakes they have been doing with the silly lockdowns,

  11. #5386
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    the long term trend is that we are still in a momentum for total infections, you really don't have a clue, and yes we use trends to analyze overall data, all calculation is about analyzing data, and trends calculation give you accurate information about the state of your data

    in simple terms, don't pay attention to daily rates, the total exposure is increasing, daily, and we can't stop it, and that's a fact. Numbers don't lie.

    and get yourself a degree in statistics
    Hey, I thought you were supposed to provide some examples of your analysis...? When is it coming? Come on now, champion, show us how it's done!!

  12. #5387
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    SK doesn't have a total lockdown, where the fuck do you get your news????

    Germany didn't do a massive test for everyone, they are doing tests on suspect cases, like everyone else.

    I seriously hope you don't work in a government office, or have any say in the briefings for British politicians to take a decision

    but again that could explain all the mistakes they have been doing with the silly lockdowns,
    First of all, get yourself a training course in reading comprehension, you're flunking there as well. Where have I said that SK did a total lockdown? Where have I said that Germany are testing everyone. Are you stupid AND blind?

    Here's what I wrote:

    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    1. Prevent citizens from being infected (lockdown as in New Zealand and South Korea)
    2. Test often to make sure you can begin treatment early (Germany)
    Hang on, now I get it - you're George McFly, aren't you??

    "McFly! Hello! Anybody home!!"

  13. #5388
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    and get yourself a degree in statistics
    Actually, you don't need a degree in statistics to interpret the available data. My five year old is going over the numbers as we speak.

    But you seem to struggle. BTW, where is that analysis of yours? I mean, you have bragged about it for a couple of pages now. Show us all an analysis of the available data and come up with a feasible long term trend and then we'll talk. Until then you're a big mouth with absolutely nothing to show for it. Sorry, but that's just the fact.

  14. #5389
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman123 View Post
    ^
    Their Covid 19 plan certainly has not buggered their economy.
    Personally, I think the reason they are gambling the way they do is because they can't afford any other approach.
    I'm not saying their approach is wrong from a national economy perspective, but I'd be furious if my Government was prepared to sacrifice the elders the way they are. At least the other countries are trying.

    And let's just face it, they DO have an advantage with an incredibly low population and density. But so do Norway and Finland, and they are doing MUCH better in any category you can come up with (and if the category you want to use as an argument doesn't exist, let me know and I'll spin up the data and provide an overview in less than 10 minutes).

  15. #5390
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Go fish somewhere else you silly fuckwit.
    Hey, if you've run out of arguments you only have to say so!
    I know it's hard to argue against someone who provides actual facts, but there's no need to feel bad when you've been proven wrong. There's actually nothing wrong with being wrong. Say after me:

    "I was wrong".

    Hope that helps!

  16. #5391
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    23,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    That's because you're an imbecill
    ('le')
    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    are you plain stupid
    Dude, why the invective in every single post, especially towards someone like Troy?



    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    You also fail to acknowledge that the hospitals are not overloaded and nearly 50% of deaths are from elderly care homes. Yes they have problems, but they are coping well without the need for a lockdown.

    The UK, on the other hand, is in deep pooh...
    Same in NZ, the vast majority of deaths are in aged care facilities, not hospitals which are running at 40% capacity

  17. #5392
    Member
    Forethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    03-05-2020 @ 06:28 PM
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    ('le')


    Dude, why the invective in every single post, especially towards someone like Troy?
    Because apparently he wanted that type of discussion, otherwise he would't have began spreading his verbal excrement as a reply to a factual post.

    Hope that explains it.

  18. #5393
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    Total tripe.

    Just because you don't test doesn't mean you're in the black.

    "Look at this, "we stopped testing people and now we have no more confirmed infections, we're world champions. It's magic!!"
    The chart for May you keep posting shows Sweden is testing.

    You are the one being obtuse or trolling and started the abuse.

    You can"t compare Sweden with countries under lockdown until they ease restrictions. If a solution is found quickly then Sweden have made a mistake, if not then their method may be an aim for easing restrictions and sustaining the economy.

    Remember the Imperial College model did not include economic effects.

    If you are working for the government then stop deflecting and start worrying about how many deaths have occurred in the UK due to bad policies that failed to isolate clusters to start with and ended up ruining the economy as well.

  19. #5394
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    23,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    Because apparently he wanted that type of discussion, otherwise he would't have began spreading his verbal excrement as a reply to a factual post.
    Nope . . . others like Dragonfly for sure

    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    Hope that explains it.
    Again, nope. You're using the scattergun approach

  20. #5395
    The Fool on the Hill bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    นนทบุรี
    Posts
    5,760
    The problem with any discussion using statistical data to draw a conclusion is that there is no control or standardization of tests, availability of tests, testing protocols, accuracy and application.

    False positives, false negatives and unrepeatable results have plagued Covid testing.

    Throw genetics, population distribution and density, cost of the testing and the lag between the testing and reporting of the test result(s) into the mix.

    Add in the fact (since the onset of Covid) that 80% experience mild or no symptoms and up to 60% are asymptomatic.


    From the USA CDC

    Testing for COVID-19 | CDC

    Who should be tested

    To learn if you have a current infection, viral tests are used. But not everyone needs this test.

    Most people will have mild illness and can recover at home without medical care and may not need to be tested.


    CDC has guidance for who should be tested, but decisions about testing are made by state and local external icon health departments or healthcare providers.

    If you have symptoms of COVID-19 and want to get tested, call your healthcare provider first.

    You can also visit your state or local health departmentís website to look for the latest local information on testing.

    Although supplies of tests are increasing, it may still be difficult to find a place to get tested.

    Page last reviewed: May 1, 2020
    Content source: National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Division of Viral Diseases


    So, the lack of standardization of testing protocols more or less invalidates any conclusion presented using Covid Test Data/Statistics as the supporting platform.

  21. #5396
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,861
    ^^ I am calling troll on this guy...Forethat


    Arguing for the sake of arguing and contradicting his own posts to illicit a response.

    He's a smegesque multi-nicking fraud.

  22. #5397
    Super Expat Plan B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Location
    Inside your head
    Posts
    5,100
    It's nice of Sweden to act as the control group for western nations.


    Thanks, Sweden.

  23. #5398
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,534
    The numbers from 2019, 2018, 2016, 2013, 2009, etc....

    Where was the frenzied panic then.

  24. #5399
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Forethat View Post
    It doesn't matter how you view the statistics - Sweden is doing a piss poor job at managing the pandemic. Deaths per million, infections per million, deaths and/or infections per million vs. population density.
    ...and today's figures from worldometers.info show

    UK cases per million 2685 UK; Deaths per million 414
    Sweden cases per million 2186; Deaths per million 264

    UK deaths so far ... 28,131 deaths yesterday +621

    Sweden deaths so far 2,669 deaths yesterday +16

    Makes UK look like a total failure in controlling the pandemic....

    Death, murder even, by incompetence...

  25. #5400
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,035
    ^ Sweden is twice the size of Britain and has a population a seventh of the size.

    Its a lot easier for them to social distance.

Page 216 of 303 FirstFirst ... 116166206208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224226266 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •