Page 74 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2464666768697071727374757677787980818284 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2211
  1. #1826
    Member
    Waid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    22-09-2014 @ 09:15 AM
    Location
    SE Asia
    Posts
    253
    Are we witnessing the end, or at minimum curtailing, of the Western Disease - unbridled Capitalism?

    Was looking at the demise of areas of Detroit via GoogleCam yesterday. Very sobering as capitalism seemed to have passed many areas by ~ 2008. By 2013 vacant lands were left.

    Capitalism leaves an incredible Tsunami of utter destruction in its wake. The illusion of wealth for all does not flesh out on the ground. It becomes an exploitation vacuum cleaner for the rich & greedy - who feed off the poor & needy.

    I suspect that the time-scales for Capitalism probably run into generations & possibly hundreds of years, before they wind down. This leaves the impression of the system being all that most people know, or have ever known.

  2. #1827
    I am in Jail
    leemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    07-10-2015 @ 02:27 PM
    Location
    pty
    Posts
    2,608
    Capitalism didn't do all that on its own, it had the assistance of Western liberal democracy.

  3. #1828
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Waid
    Are we witnessing the end, or at minimum curtailing, of the Western Disease - unbridled Capitalism? Was looking at the demise of areas of Detroit via GoogleCam yesterday. Very sobering as capitalism seemed to have passed many areas by ~ 2008. By 2013 vacant lands were left. Capitalism leaves an incredible Tsunami of utter destruction in its wake. The illusion of wealth for all does not flesh out on the ground. It becomes an exploitation vacuum cleaner for the rich & greedy - who feed off the poor & needy. I suspect that the time-scales for Capitalism probably run into generations & possibly hundreds of years, before they wind down. This leaves the impression of the system being all that most people know, or have ever known.
    Quote Originally Posted by leemo
    Capitalism didn't do all that on its own, it had the assistance of Western liberal democracy.
    Spot on

  4. #1829
    Thailand Expat zygote1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    20-05-2015 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Hua Hin
    Posts
    1,114
    Getting back to the coup, I was talking to one of my friends in Ubon province earlier today. His village has been regularly visited by soldiers who have conducted several house to house searches over the past 2 weeks. The locals are not allowed out after dark and cannot go anywhere at night without a pass/permission document. He says his local area is flush with soldiers. I've noticed that our data link for our facetalk is slower than usual this past week. I was using facetalk with my friend in BKK same day and it was the usual quality.
    Question: Is this typical of what's happening upcountry?
    Kindness is spaying and neutering one's companion animals.

  5. #1830
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote1
    Question: Is this typical of what's happening upcountry?
    What say you upcountry people?

  6. #1831
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Posts
    26,731
    Alberts Idea of leaving the Army in control don't exactly make for a Democratic country but fuk it EH.

    Thailand is different innit, they don't do Democracy very well at all simply because Corruption kills Democracy every time.

    Seems like the Army are starting to sort shit out.

    Firstly they payed the farmers and now they are efficiently going after the corrupt scum in Phuket.

    Cant argue with that EH.

    Leave them around until they get the joint sorted and then think about elections down the track.

    Last thing Thailand needs now is Elections that will lead the country straight back into a country lead by corrupt politicians innit.

  7. #1832
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Alberts Idea of leaving the Army in control don't exactly make for a Democratic country but fuk it EH.
    Don't get me wrong mate - I support "democracy" entirely.

    But like you say,



    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Thailand is different innit

  8. #1833
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,663
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote1
    Getting back to the coup, I was talking to one of my friends in Ubon province earlier today. His village has been regularly visited by soldiers who have conducted several house to house searches over the past 2 weeks. The locals are not allowed out after dark and cannot go anywhere at night without a pass/permission document. He says his local area is flush with soldiers. I've noticed that our data link for our facetalk is slower than usual this past week. I was using facetalk with my friend in BKK same day and it was the usual quality. Question: Is this typical of what's happening upcountry?
    It is not typical of our particular area upcountry (Sakon Nakhon Province). The army have left barracks and moved to more volatile areas of the Country. Presumably that means Udon to the West and Ubon to the South.

    As for net services; it has always been pretty poor in our area due to location. However, we can still Skype with stuttering video.

  9. #1834
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote1
    Getting back to the coup, I was talking to one of my friends in Ubon province earlier today. His village has been regularly visited by soldiers who have conducted several house to house searches over the past 2 weeks. The locals are not allowed out after dark and cannot go anywhere at night without a pass/permission document. He says his local area is flush with soldiers. I've noticed that our data link for our facetalk is slower than usual this past week. I was using facetalk with my friend in BKK same day and it was the usual quality. Question: Is this typical of what's happening upcountry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Shagnastier
    What say you upcountry people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    It is not typical of our particular area upcountry (Sakon Nakhon Province)
    There you have it - not typical at all.

  10. #1835
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2019 @ 03:07 PM
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Firstly they payed the farmers and now they are efficiently going after the corrupt scum in Phuket.
    But for what purpose though? As I posted earlier is it for the purpose of cleaning up Phuket or just moving in on the new fertile grounds for himself? It may be a public show and behind the scenes a much different picture, how would one really know? One can't assume it's for the better, on the contrary, because it's "Thailand innit"..

  11. #1836
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    09-05-2020 @ 05:15 AM
    Posts
    4,219
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn
    I understand so much than you ever will it's almost embarrassing for you.
    Course you do pal. You keep believing that, and waiving your little flag.

    By the way....I bought my latest house for cash, in the process of building another one, which when I make the money, has more done to it - you're preferred system has people with a mortgage, going to a bank, who created money thus devaluing the money in circulation. They then pay all of that money back with Real cash they earn, plus no doubt about 100% on top in interest. Well done you. Good one. You worship a system that lets a bank create money, pretend to lend it to you, you then pay it back with real money, and they leave you thinking it is a good idea. You're a genius, EH?

    have you seen the videos on this website: Could These 3 Simple Changes to Banking Fix the Economy?

    lays bare the true nature of our money system and how it is geared against most people.

  12. #1837
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    8,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Shagnastier
    There you have it - not typical at all.
    One part of one province can hardly be extrapolated to being typical for all provinces.

    I'd wait for more information concerning other areas before jumping the gun mate....

  13. #1838
    Thailand Expat
    koman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    07-02-2020 @ 08:24 AM
    Location
    Issan
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Shagnastier
    What say you upcountry people?
    I have not seen a soldier; not even one. There is such a lack of soldiers around here one would think the country did not even have an army. Maybe they are all over in Udon ransacking some "red" village looking for rusty shotguns and sharpened machetes..... or providing photo-ops for idiot tourists to do selfies down in BKK......
    I blame the Americans......and Thaksin.

  14. #1839
    I am in Jail
    leemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    07-10-2015 @ 02:27 PM
    Location
    pty
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Firstly they payed the farmers and now they are efficiently going after the corrupt scum in Phuket.
    But for what purpose though? As I posted earlier is it for the purpose of cleaning up Phuket or just moving in on the new fertile grounds for himself? It may be a public show and behind the scenes a much different picture, how would one really know? One can't assume it's for the better, on the contrary, because it's "Thailand innit"..
    Sad but true!

  15. #1840
    I am in Jail
    leemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    07-10-2015 @ 02:27 PM
    Location
    pty
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwaves View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Firstly they payed the farmers and now they are efficiently going after the corrupt scum in Phuket.
    But for what purpose though? As I posted earlier is it for the purpose of cleaning up Phuket or just moving in on the new fertile grounds for himself? It may be a public show and behind the scenes a much different picture, how would one really know? One can't assume it's for the better, on the contrary, because it's "Thailand innit"..
    More likely it's to appease the foreigners. If he really wanted to clean up things, he'd close down all the whore related businesses. Maybe that day will come. He should crack down on all video shops selling pirated goods such as DVDs. America probably would send him money. Prayuth is a pathetically typical dictator and of course hypocrite if he doesn't crack down on all the businesses out there that are immoral and illegal. But maybe he can't do that because so many of them are on land owned by the democrats and other wealthy yellow families. It's always amazed me how Patpong survived all these years. The landowners who never set foot in the place must have made a lot off that. I wonder if that's a 90-year landlease site like so so many places around Thailand.
    It seems you will not be happy with Prayuth unless he turns Thailand into your notion of a perfect country. I have a strong feeling you will be disappointed.

  16. #1841
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    5,119
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Firstly they payed the farmers and now they are efficiently going after the corrupt scum in Phuket.
    But for what purpose though? As I posted earlier is it for the purpose of cleaning up Phuket or just moving in on the new fertile grounds for himself? It may be a public show and behind the scenes a much different picture, how would one really know? One can't assume it's for the better, on the contrary, because it's "Thailand innit"..

    Exactly what would you suggest, you will never know the result of anything until time tested, what Thailand had before was utter nonsence. I say give the military a chance, let thm clean the shit out. I have had a home in Thailand since 2006, what I have seen since that time is the poorest form of democracy I have seen any where,simply a haven for corupt and greedy politicians to rip of the people. Give reform a chance.

  17. #1842
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwaves
    I don't want that at all. I want Prayuth in a jail for life. That's what I want. He's a traitor to the nation.
    Can we assume from that opinion that you are Thai?

  18. #1843
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2019 @ 03:07 PM
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Firstly they payed the farmers and now they are efficiently going after the corrupt scum in Phuket.
    But for what purpose though? As I posted earlier is it for the purpose of cleaning up Phuket or just moving in on the new fertile grounds for himself? It may be a public show and behind the scenes a much different picture, how would one really know? One can't assume it's for the better, on the contrary, because it's "Thailand innit"..

    Exactly what would you suggest, you will never know the result of anything until time tested, what Thailand had before was utter nonsence. I say give the military a chance, let thm clean the shit out. I have had a home in Thailand since 2006, what I have seen since that time is the poorest form of democracy I have seen any where,simply a haven for corupt and greedy politicians to rip of the people. Give reform a chance.
    Show me some reform and maybe I would, but banning the press and suspending the constitution because it doesn't suit your "reform" does not point to reform, it points to dirty dictatorships..

  19. #1844
    Thailand Expat
    9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    31-05-2018 @ 07:54 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,511
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn
    But for what purpose though? As I posted earlier is it for the purpose of cleaning up Phuket or just moving in on the new fertile grounds for himself? It may be a public show and behind the scenes a much different picture, how would one really know? One can't assume it's for the better, on the contrary, because it's "Thailand innit"..
    Chirst you cant win can you. The junta do good things and they will obviously be accused of ulterior motives. If they didn't clean things up they would also cop it, no win for them.

    You're right, how would one know? Doesn't everything have an ulterior motive? I mean if people only did things out of the goodness of their heart not much would get done now would it. It's a ridiculous line to take, when the army come in and start cleaning up the mess from the former dysfunctional government, to say they are bad for doing good things because of some unknown agenda that may or may not exist.

    I'm not a huge fan of military rule but I refrain from being opinionated here, the Thais seem to hate these uneducated meddling in their affairs. Amazing how seppos think they know so much about how the rest of the world should be run. Can't we just look at things like farmers getting paid and Phuket getting cleaned up, and just be glad some good is coming of this. Surely there are more solid points you can do your poitical science high school project on?

  20. #1845
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    5,119
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Firstly they payed the farmers and now they are efficiently going after the corrupt scum in Phuket.
    But for what purpose though? As I posted earlier is it for the purpose of cleaning up Phuket or just moving in on the new fertile grounds for himself? It may be a public show and behind the scenes a much different picture, how would one really know? One can't assume it's for the better, on the contrary, because it's "Thailand innit"..

    Exactly what would you suggest, you will never know the result of anything until time tested, what Thailand had before was utter nonsence. I say give the military a chance, let thm clean the shit out. I have had a home in Thailand since 2006, what I have seen since that time is the poorest form of democracy I have seen any where,simply a haven for corupt and greedy politicians to rip of the people. Give reform a chance.
    Show me some reform and maybe I would, but banning the press and suspending the constitution because it doesn't suit your "reform" does not point to reform, it points to dirty dictatorships..

    So you won't give it a chance. If the military had not put a stop to the protesting, and so forth you would have exactly what you had before nonsence, and that would absolutely defeat anything good the Thai army might try to accomplish. I agree this is not your ideal situation, but for generations Thailand has not been your ideal country. Going bac k to the same o same o would go on for ever, leaving Thailand in a state of limbo forever, if in a year there are no elections and the army has not succesfully addressed the corruption, then it will be time to look in a different direction. You people seem to think if elections were held to day magically, because you could call it a "democracy"
    everything would be great in Thailand. I hate to burst your dream world, but I am affraid that is not the case, you would again have nothing but the same old corrupt govt., maybe worse because they would be enbolden by there victory.

  21. #1846
    Thailand Expat
    9999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    31-05-2018 @ 07:54 PM
    Location
    Hating but living in the 3rd world
    Posts
    5,511
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwaves
    More likely it's to appease the foreigners. If he really wanted to clean up things, he'd close down all the whore related businesses. Maybe that day will come. He should crack down on all video shops selling pirated goods such as DVDs.
    Why not just change their flag to stars and striped while you're at it. Have you not realised that your western code of ethics are not wanted here? If you want a Nanny state this is the wrong place, even under military junta rule. Nah, better just to kick about Thailand telling them what they should be doing and how they should run the place

    Oh yeah, and don't flatter yourself so much to think the govt care so much to appease you. I lol'd at that.

  22. #1847
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2019 @ 03:07 PM
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    Firstly they payed the farmers and now they are efficiently going after the corrupt scum in Phuket.
    But for what purpose though? As I posted earlier is it for the purpose of cleaning up Phuket or just moving in on the new fertile grounds for himself? It may be a public show and behind the scenes a much different picture, how would one really know? One can't assume it's for the better, on the contrary, because it's "Thailand innit"..

    Exactly what would you suggest, you will never know the result of anything until time tested, what Thailand had before was utter nonsence. I say give the military a chance, let thm clean the shit out. I have had a home in Thailand since 2006, what I have seen since that time is the poorest form of democracy I have seen any where,simply a haven for corupt and greedy politicians to rip of the people. Give reform a chance.
    Show me some reform and maybe I would, but banning the press and suspending the constitution because it doesn't suit your "reform" does not point to reform, it points to dirty dictatorships..

    So you won't give it a chance. If the military had not put a stop to the protesting, and so forth you would have exactly what you had before nonsence, and that would absolutely defeat anything good the Thai army might try to accomplish. I agree this is not your ideal situation, but for generations Thailand has not been your ideal country. Going bac k to the same o same o would go on for ever, leaving Thailand in a state of limbo forever, if in a year there are no elections and the army has not succesfully addressed the corruption, then it will be time to look in a different direction. You people seem to think if elections were held to day magically, because you could call it a "democracy"
    everything would be great in Thailand. I hate to burst your dream world, but I am affraid that is not the case, you would again have nothing but the same old corrupt govt., maybe worse because they would be enbolden by there victory.
    You came in 2006, I was already 3 years there by that time and went through the last one too, the closed airports and the downtown closings and killings, those were chances too, the politically motivated floods, of course I remain skeptical, not one of those events has shown any progress nor any positive result and worse yet has directly impacted my family negatively on a financial and personal level. Now again this is doing the same to us financially and personally in the midst of making big moves for our future, I've nothing but contempt, doubt and cynicism about the coup and that's based on personal HISTORY not conjecture..

  23. #1848
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,686
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post

    You came in 2006, I was already 3 years there by that time and went through the last one too, the closed airports and the downtown closings and killings, those were chances too, the politically motivated floods, of course I remain skeptical, not one of those events has shown any progress nor any positive result and worse yet has directly impacted my family negatively on a financial and personal level. Now again this is doing the same to us financially and personally in the midst of making big moves for our future, I've nothing but contempt, doubt and cynicism about the coup and that's based on personal HISTORY not conjecture..
    You are saying the current coup (and the last one) has affected you financially directly?

    Could you expand somewhat? Not doubting, but just interested.

  24. #1849
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2019 @ 03:07 PM
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by leemo View Post
    Capitalism didn't do all that on its own, it had the assistance of Western liberal democracy.
    Bingo!!!

  25. #1850
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    04-12-2019 @ 03:07 PM
    Posts
    2,043
    Well I'd rather not Nid. I'll PM some vague details if you'd like but not air info that personal in the open forum.

Page 74 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2464666768697071727374757677787980818284 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •