Page 47 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37394041424344454647484950515253545557 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2211
  1. #1151
    Member
    Merrimack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    27-05-2014 @ 09:19 PM
    Posts
    695
    Press conference only had two questions before general took off


  2. #1152
    Achieve By Unity cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    23,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo
    they were the elected party, and they were simply asking for another election to let the people decide. It's that simple...
    You're talking about elections now.

    Before you were talking about dialogue.

    Dialogue was for the ruling pt party to initiate if that was what they wanted.

  3. #1153
    Member
    Merrimack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    27-05-2014 @ 09:19 PM
    Posts
    695
    Thomas Fuller ‏@thomasfullerNYT

    "Thailand's Nation newspaper calls for more media freedom but does not condemn the jailing of its own reporter"

    Article...

    The Nation reporter taken into custody - The Nation

  4. #1154
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo
    they were the elected party, and they were simply asking for another election to let the people decide. It's that simple...
    You're talking about elections now.

    Before you were talking about dialogue.

    Dialogue was for the ruling pt party to initiate if that was what they wanted.
    But PAD wanted no dialog, it was very clear, they have been voicing it for 6+ months - no elections, PT out of politics, coup, appointments only, etc, how can you have dialog when one side just have to refuse it and they get their way - coup...

    It's a strange comment you made there, Cyrille, because the dialog was about elections; the two were fully connected; of course I'm talking about both.
    How do I post these pictures???

  5. #1155
    Thailand Expat
    Moonraker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    3,155
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker
    The official line of the soldier's tears is that it was caused by pepper spray.

    Now I can't be sure how true that is, but it does highlight just how quickly some people can...make stuff up to suit them.
    ...including those formulating 'the official line', of course.
    Of course.

    I'm not trying to say it's true, just pointing out we don't know what's true.

  6. #1156
    Achieve By Unity cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    23,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo
    But PAD wanted no dialog
    Agreed.

    Nobody did.

    That's why a coup was the only answer.

  7. #1157
    Thailand Expat
    Moonraker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    3,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo View Post
    ^they were the elected party, and they were simply asking for another election to let the people decide. It's that simple...
    Great idea, because elections were really helping to solve the problem....

  8. #1158
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    ^& ^^

    It's not the only answer, it's the answer that the PADites have wanted all along. An election would be an answer too, but let's not forget that the dems and PAD have systematically broken down the chances of an election over the last 6 months.

    How strange is it for a major party, the dems, to just have no policies and refuse to take part in elections, as a habit???

    ^ If the dems were a functioning political party, if they had policies and ran in an election then it'd be a great idea. Now, twice, they have forced a coup by refusing to be a political party - nice job if you can get away with it. "Elections, ok if we will win, but if we won't win then we on't participate, we'll get a coup to appoint us and our group instead..."

    It was virtually impossible to have an election now, I agree. But, that wasn't just chance, it was constructed...

  9. #1159
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,944
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo
    But PAD wanted no dialog
    Agreed.

    Nobody did.

    That's why a coup was the only answer.

    It was obvious back in november when this clusterfuck kicked off that there was never going to be any dialogue and that the longer it went on for the greater the propensity for inconvenience to the public and violence from the meathead fringegroups.

    Thats why some posters with a more realistic and grounded understanding of the situation, myself included , were calling for the generals to intervene
    right from day one.

  10. #1160
    RIP pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack
    |Jeez your scraping the barrel there for sure, he commited suicide because he never got paid come on you drama queen, and yingluck i suppose caused the floods as well, nothing at all to do with flooding over the century or previous govts not doing anything about it.
    Indeed - Scraping the barrel, emulating the style of merrimack with his Tears for Yingluck post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack
    Agree on people making things up
    Yes - stop it. Posting up quote after quote from amateur commentators and expecting that to sum up the mood of the nation is futile, especailly when they are from Farangs, and doubly when they are farangs working for the main stream western media who have doubtless not been to Thailand and if they have, have not stepped outside of the FCC.

    Mood on the street? Well, as far as I can tell, most Thai's are getting on with life and don't give a toss. Same same.

  11. #1161
    Member
    Merrimack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    27-05-2014 @ 09:19 PM
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasojack
    |Jeez your scraping the barrel there for sure, he commited suicide because he never got paid come on you drama queen, and yingluck i suppose caused the floods as well, nothing at all to do with flooding over the century or previous govts not doing anything about it.
    Indeed - Scraping the barrel, emulating the style of merrimack with his Tears for Yingluck post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack
    Agree on people making things up
    Yes - stop it. Posting up quote after quote from amateur commentators and expecting that to sum up the mood of the nation is futile, especailly when they are from Farangs, and doubly when they are farangs working for the main stream western media who have doubtless not been to Thailand and if they have, have not stepped outside of the FCC.

    Mood on the street? Well, as far as I can tell, most Thai's are getting on with life and don't give a toss. Same same.
    Good sounds like you know it all. Go play in the lounge.

  12. #1162
    RIP pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack
    Good sounds like you know it all. Go play in the lounge
    Thing is, mate, whilst you are playing, some realise is it not a game. It is deadly serious.

  13. #1163
    R.I.P
    Mr Lick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Mountain view
    Posts
    40,028
    How strange is it for a major party, the dems, to just have no policies

    2006 - Abhisit promised a "People's Agenda," with education as the main focus. He used the campaign slogan "Putting People First." He also vowed not to privatize basic utilities such as water and electricity, and to nationalize state enterprises that Thaksin had privatized.[56] Regarding core elements of the so-called "Thaksinomics", Abhisit promised "the benefits from certain populist policies, such as the 30-Baht healthcare scheme, the Village Fund and the SML (Small Medium Large) scheme, will not be revoked but instead improved." He later urged that Thaksin's popular 30-Baht health care scheme should be replaced with a system where access to medical services was totally free.[57] Abhisit stated that all future Democrat MPs would have to declare their assets and any involvement in private companies. (By law, only members of the cabinet needed to declare their assets


    He outlined several energy policies, including increasing dividend payments from state-owned oil company PTT and using the funds to repay Oil Fund debts, and having state-owned electric utility EGAT absorb part of the rising fuel prices.[59] Abhisit later outlined plans to reduce retail petrol prices by eliminating the 2.50 baht/litre tax used to maintain the government's Oil Fund.[60]


    In office - To help the people, Abhisit subsidized the price of diesel, LPG cooking gas, and household electricity. Public bus and train rides were provided for free

    Abhisit also promised many populist policies including providing free education, textbooks, milk, and supplemental foods for nursery school students and increasing the minimum wage



    Abhisit Vejjajiva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  14. #1164
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick View Post
    Abhisit also promised many populist policies including providing free education, textbooks, milk.......
    The last I read, approximately half of Thailand's population is lactose intolerant.

  15. #1165
    Thailand Expat
    nevets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    16-02-2015 @ 12:11 PM
    Location
    PHETCHABURI
    Posts
    1,630
    Bangkok Post Suthep up on murder charges.

  16. #1166
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick
    2006 - Abhisit promised a "People's Agenda,"
    He pulled out of that election, forcing a coup. If he had policies then take them to the voting booth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick
    In office - To help the people, Abhisit subsidized the price of diesel, LPG cooking gas, and household electricity. Public bus and train rides were provided for free
    Were these his policies or a continuation of Samak's? Certainly the transportation one was Samak's. The others also seem to be continuation of other people's, other party's policies. Not saying that's bad in itself, but the wording of that article suggests he introduced these policies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick
    Abhisit also promised many populist policies including providing free education, textbooks, milk, and supplemental foods for nursery school students and increasing the minimum wage
    Why not take them to the voting booth then?

    The problem with the dems seems to be they have no spoken ideology as a platform for their policies, they just appear to do what the PAD/army tell them to. Thailand is screaming out for a new party that is corruption free, practices what it preaches, and has a real vision for the development of Thailand. Why can't abhisit do that? He's a 22 year politician, supposed to be intelligent, well educated, believe in democracy - prove it, take the dems to the polling booth and win...

  17. #1167
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    25-08-2017 @ 05:52 PM
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo
    But PAD wanted no dialog
    Agreed.

    Nobody did.

    That's why a coup was the only answer.

    It was obvious back in november when this clusterfuck kicked off that there was never going to be any dialogue and that the longer it went on for the greater the propensity for inconvenience to the public and violence from the meathead fringegroups.

    Thats why some posters with a more realistic and grounded understanding of the situation, myself included , were calling for the generals to intervene
    right from day one.
    And now that Generals seized power, everything is solved and the country is magically back to unity, prosperity and stability?

    Rather the opposite, if you ask me...

  18. #1168
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile
    myself included , were calling for the generals to intervene
    right from day one.
    You and suthep...

    Nationalism, patronage, a fully feudal system, do you want all of that, Tax?

  19. #1169
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    23-05-2020 @ 05:51 PM
    Posts
    12,236
    Former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), was indicted in the Criminal Court on charges of murder and attempted murders for allegedly ordering the military crackdown on red-shirt protesters in 2010, causing 98 deaths and hundreds of injuries.

    Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva had earlier been indicted on the same charges.

    Mr Suthep was escorted by soldiers to report to the prosecution to hear the charges after being released on Monday morning by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO). He denied the charges.

    He was later formally indicted in the Criminal Court.

    His lawyer applied for his release on bail, submitting a bank deposit passbook of 600,000 baht as surety. The court approved the bail request.

    Mr Suthep is required to report to the court for the first hearing on July 28.

    Former deputy PM charged over 2010 protest deaths | Bangkok Post: Most recent

  20. #1170
    R.I.P
    Mr Lick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Mountain view
    Posts
    40,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo
    Were these his policies or a continuation of Samak's?
    It would appear that Samak's main policies were to moonlight from his responsibility as leader of the nation to illegally receive a salary from hosting a televised cookery program and also rob the nation of 300 million baht on an emergency services transportation scam.

    No surpises there really

  21. #1171
    Member
    Merrimack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    27-05-2014 @ 09:19 PM
    Posts
    695
    How can former case and harges still exist when their is a coup? Seems like the coup makers are arresting people at will. They toss the constitution yet these old charges still exist? There are civilian courts and there aren't. Laws and no laws. Did anyone ever get tried for the deaths of all those muslims down south in 2004? The military was responsible for that. Did anyone involved see jail time? Seems like that just faded away. Over 70 deaths as a result of incompetent or cruel military officers. Whatever. A Coup = their rules. The Thai military like the US military can do no wrong.

  22. #1172
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lick
    It would appear that Samak's main policies were to moonlight from his responsibility as leader of the nation to illegally receive a salary from hosting a televised cookery program and also rob the nation of 300 million baht on an emergency services transportation scam.

    No surpises there really
    Samak was a nightmare, one of the very worst of Thai style politicians, but his cooking show slot was nothing, come on, Mr Lick...

    While I'm sure he stole loads and loads over the decades, and he was a horrible part of the 73 slaughter, the emergency vehicles was also part of the Bkk dem governors problems. Samak is a good example of the problem, a typical PADite royalist that worked for Thaksin for a large sum, no doubt, to try and get the royalists on side. They have no integrity or moral identity at all -

    Edit: forced by that bloody Mr Lick...
    Last edited by Bettyboo; 26-05-2014 at 04:35 PM.

  23. #1173
    R.I.P
    Mr Lick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Mountain view
    Posts
    40,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo
    and it all comes from the patronage system... __________________



    Rule Britannia

  24. #1174
    R.I.P
    Mr Lick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    25-09-2014 @ 02:50 PM
    Location
    Mountain view
    Posts
    40,028
    I'm not too sure given that her son called Putin a Nazi only last week

  25. #1175
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    As a side note where many of the protestors have been taken is known as Theves Road. In Thai it sounds more like Thieves Road...

Page 47 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37394041424344454647484950515253545557 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •