Page 36 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2628293031323334353637383940414243444686 ... LastLast
Results 876 to 900 of 2211
  1. #876
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Lumpini Park.

    A few hours ago.
























  2. #877
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    20-06-2021 @ 04:11 PM
    Posts
    26,687
    ^

    Amazing how things return to Normal after the madness of the masses in that park a few weeks ago.

    Exactly the same will happen in Bangkok once this coup blows over.

    Same as the times before.

  3. #878
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,890
    Will Bangkok be sepia toned too?

  4. #879
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo View Post
    a

    You might want to read up about the Thai generals who conducted numerous coups and killed tens of thousands of Thais, tewwy...


    Betty, you're making shit up again.

    Nowhere in your cut and pastes does it mention tens of thousands.

    The insurgence down South has killed Thousands, that's fact.
    Try educating yourself, tewwy. Over the terms of these army generals and coup imposed dictatorships many many thousands (tens) of people were killed.

    This idea that the army are some polite and loving saviour of the Thai people is utterly wrong. There are numerous books and articles on the subject.

    Also, the numbers put on many of these junta mass murderings are massively higher than official figures. For example, during Samak's reign as PM (a tad more complex through his political career than being a Thaksin puppet...) he stated on TV that 1 person died at Thammasat in 73'. I think the official figure is something like 43. I've spoken to a few people who were there at the time, and they all told me that the number was over 600 at that spot alone, with other mass killings in other parts of the country at the same time. Keeping numbers of the dead down is one reason that the junta keeps a very tight hold of the media - something that should always worry any intelligent person, and why it has been so thoroughly condemned by so many governments and organizations around the world this week. Remember, this current general junta leader still claims that the army killed nobody in 2010, that protesters 'ran into' bullets, and that the people murdered at the temple in Silom had nothing to do with the army. But, you just keep loving these generals, tewwy, they're good for the nation...
    Last edited by Bettyboo; 25-05-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    How do I post these pictures???

  5. #880
    Achieve By Unity cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    So true that, Its business as usual for the vast amount of Thais.

    They are only concerned with losing money
    It's amazing how often on here perfectly expected normal human reaction is given a negative spin.

    If this were in the UK it would all be 'spirit of the blitz' stuff. For some people when the same thing happens in Thailand, people just going about their business, it's because they are 'money grubbing slant eyes'.

  6. #881
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Posts
    15,461
    Err, rather think it's you who is spinning. The " blitz spirit " you refer to among the Brits is manifested in adversity and demonstrates a willingness to carry on normal life despite that adversity.

    There is no adversity to overcome here in Thailand by the masses as a consequence of the coup. That's the point - it is irrelevant to them and most ignore it. The Thai propensity for accommodating material gain at every opportunity is well known.

  7. #882
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent
    There is no adversity to overcome here in Thailand by the masses as a consequence of the coup.
    That's a rather different viewpoint to Thai journalists, world governments, monitoring organizations and Thais on social media.

    An elected government thrown out, media turned off and totally controlled, large numbers of detainments, constitution/government/senate/etc thrown out, an army general appointing himself to rule everything under threat of the army gun, academics, journalists, anybody vocally critical of the junta arrested, direct threats by the junta to everybody and anybody who would dare question a single word or decree they order. &, you say it's nothing. Hmmm...

    Quote Originally Posted by thegent
    The Thai propensity for accommodating material gain at every opportunity is well known.
    As is your dehumanizing of Thais.

  8. #883
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    For every 1 trouble maker there are 100,000 regular Thais who would never ever choose to kill each other - no matter the political situation.

  9. #884
    Achieve By Unity cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent
    The " blitz spirit " you refer to among the Brits is manifested in adversity and demonstrates a willingness to carry on normal life despite that adversity.
    There is plenty of adversity in Thailand.

    Enough to make most Brits spend the day weeping into a warm half of mild.

    Whether or not it's caused by the coup is utterly irrelevant to the gist of my post.

    Quote Originally Posted by thegent
    The Thai propensity for accommodating material gain at every opportunity is well known.
    Called 'spirit in the face of adversity' when displayed by a Brit.

    Thanks for encapsulating the ludicrous double standard in one sentence.

  10. #885
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Shagnastier
    For every 1 trouble maker
    This is why people like you and tewwy are dangerous, albert. By trouble maker, you actually mean somebody who is doing nothing other than standing up for their democratic rights; no violence, no harm to others, just respecting the law (which, by definition the coupists are not). The people who held a placard saying 'we want to vote' and were then arrested, are 'trouble makers'. Very scary how gullible people so easily follow the discourse of an army junta... Hence why the junta are so keen to control social discourse, they know how gullible some folks, such as you and tewwy, are... Scary stuff, you'd make Geobbels proud...

  11. #886
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    9,698
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    They are only concerned with losing money, this Political situation has played out time and time again. Absolutely normal stuff for Thailand and as far as Coups go, so far this one is tame as fuk.
    It is all too easy to get complacent about things because: "it's all happened before".

    However, there was an underlying stability provided by the HoS, which gave a common ground for everyone to look up to/ respect. This was already dwindling in 2006 and has all but disappeared this time round.

    Judging the coup wrt Country stability, just a couple of days afterwards, is like judging a Test after the first over. A lot of things may or may not happen in the following months that may affect the lives of many people and especially farangs.

    No-one really knows what results this coup will bring. The 1997 Constitution was enormously beneficial for Thailand. The changes made in 2007 were a significant step backwards. The early indications are that this coup will be a further step in the wrong direction. That may lead to further instability rather than the Military stated improvements.

    If that was not enough, the chances are that the Military will change the Constitution to allow for a different HoS, that will force the hands of those that have been waiting patiently for the wind to change.

  12. #887
    Philippine Expat
    Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,996
    It seems to me that there a just a handful of posters who are seriously upset about this coup. The majority of posts have been complaints about the TV.

    It is an internal Thai matter, to be sorted out eventually by the Thai.

    Many of the most prolific coup posters do not even live in Thailand. I have not posted on the political aspects of the coup as I no longer live in Thailand, and stopped following Thai internal politics years ago.

    I could be wrong, but I doubt that any posters are Thai citizens, or even permanent residents. If foreigners feel at risk for themselves or their families, that's another thing - but I haven't seen that posted anywhere.

    Coups happen in many countries. The gap between rich and poor is huge in most countries. Voters are apathetic in most countries. This is a Thai internal event...it's not the first time, nor do I believe it will be the last.

    As a foreigner, you have no voice. Let the Thai sort it out. You may not agree with the result, but it's their country, not yours.
    Last edited by Davis Knowlton; 25-05-2014 at 12:39 PM.

  13. #888
    I am in Jail
    leemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    07-10-2015 @ 02:27 PM
    Location
    pty
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57
    They are only concerned with losing money, this Political situation has played out time and time again. Absolutely normal stuff for Thailand and as far as Coups go, so far this one is tame as fuk.
    It is all too easy to get complacent about things because: "it's all happened before".

    However, there was an underlying stability provided by the HoS, which gave a common ground for everyone to look up to/ respect. This was already dwindling in 2006 and has all but disappeared this time round.

    Judging the coup wrt Country stability, just a couple of days afterwards, is like judging a Test after the first over. A lot of things may or may not happen in the following months that may affect the lives of many people and especially farangs.

    No-one really knows what results this coup will bring. The 1997 Constitution was enormously beneficial for Thailand. The changes made in 2007 were a significant step backwards. The early indications are that this coup will be a further step in the wrong direction. That may lead to further instability rather than the Military stated improvements.

    If that was not enough, the chances are that the Military will change the Constitution to allow for a different HoS, that will force the hands of those that have been waiting patiently for the wind to change.
    Instability and improvements are subjective, and it is the subjective view of armed criminals that are being imposed upon the country.

    This coup has longer impacting objectives than the last, one of which is to crush the Thaksin legacy and restore the pre-Thaksin regime, which is the equivalent of judicially enforcing the masses into legislated subservience to earlier thieves and looters.

    Note that while the yellows are afforded preferential treatment with a certain amount of leeway and freedoms, most highly positioned friends of Thaksin are either detained or, erm, in hiding abroad.

    And once you start rounding up academics whilst using the 're-education' word, it is time for the people to step back, take stock, and chop you down. And ffs grow up, it won't be bloodless.

  14. #889
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    As a foreigner, you have no voice.
    We are in this forum, not on the streets of Bkk, we have a voice here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Let the Thai sort it out.
    What else can we do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    You may not agree with the result, but it's their country, not yours.
    Yes and no. If people have a family and/or children in Thailand and/live in Thailand then they are involved.

    The idea of apathy and non-involvement is a very worrying one. Places, cultures, societies and people are always in flux, always moving and always changing. In Thailand, Uk and US people affect society and not all of those people that affect society were born there or had a passport for that place, indeed they don't even need to be there.

    Martin Luther King and Gandhi had a massive affect on people and cultures around the world, yet most of those people never went to India or America and may not even have lived during the same period. Gandhi won out in India, not because of Indians and their power, but because of the way he changed the feelings of people in the UK. People affect each other across cultures - many of the 'skills' learnt by these army generals (and all of them since the 1930's) were learnt in the UK, France and the US.

    People do have voices, all people have voices and voices travel, especially in the internet age. Why do you think that the junta close down international media and social media if they have no affect, no voice no power?

    Sorry, Davis, you are a fine poster, but I can't agree with your sentiments in the above post.

  15. #890
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    As a foreigner, you have no voice. Let the Thai sort it out. You may not agree with the result, but it's their country, not yours.
    Sorry DK but I have heard this argument over and over again. This past year like many other 'falangs' I have paid enough Thai taxes to raise an entire village. Fair enough I live here. Don't get anything in return other than the fact that I can live here with my family, most everything I need is paid for in cash.

    Still no payment on our rice. This was part of my retirement plan in which I had trusted the Thai government for many years.

    As the head of the family how should I reply when my wife or 50/50 daughter asks me what do I think? They want to know why I sit by and do nothing.

    Regardless, it is my fault. True it is their country but...

  16. #891
    Thailand Expat KEVIN2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,740
    Taking refuge in 5-star UK Tylney Hall in the village of Rotherwick. GUESS WHO ?

  17. #892
    Philippine Expat
    Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    As a foreigner, you have no voice.
    We are in this forum, not on the streets of Bkk, we have a voice here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Let the Thai sort it out.
    What else can we do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    You may not agree with the result, but it's their country, not yours.
    Yes and no. If people have a family and/or children in Thailand and/live in Thailand then they are involved.

    The idea of apathy and non-involvement is a very worrying one. Places, cultures, societies and people are always in flux, always moving and always changing. In Thailand, Uk and US people affect society and not all of those people that affect society were born there or had a passport for that place, indeed they don't even need to be there.

    Martin Luther King and Gandhi had a massive affect on people and cultures around the world, yet most of those people never went to India or America and may not even have lived during the same period. Gandhi won out in India, not because of Indians and their power, but because of the way he changed the feelings of people in the UK. People affect each other across cultures - many of the 'skills' learnt by these army generals (and all of them since the 1930's) were learnt in the UK, France and the US.

    People do have voices, all people have voices and voices travel, especially in the internet age. Why do you think that the junta close down international media and social media if they have no affect, no voice no power?

    Sorry, Davis, you are a fine poster, but I can't agree with your sentiments in the above post.
    No worries. Probably shouldn't have bothered posting it. Not my business.

  18. #893
    Philippine Expat
    Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,996
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    As a foreigner, you have no voice. Let the Thai sort it out. You may not agree with the result, but it's their country, not yours.
    Sorry DK but I have heard this argument over and over again. This past year like many other 'falangs' I have paid enough Thai taxes to raise an entire village. Fair enough I live here. Don't get anything in return other than the fact that I can live here with my family, most everything I need is paid for in cash.

    Still no payment on our rice. This was part of my retirement plan in which I had trusted the Thai government for many years.

    As the head of the family how should I reply when my wife or 50/50 daughter asks me what do I think? They want to know why I sit by and do nothing.

    Regardless, it is my fault. True it is their country but...
    I do realize that many of you are deeply rooted in Thailand, and understand how upsetting this can be. As I said above, I probably shouldn't have even posted.

  19. #894
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    No problems guy, I get just as frustrated as the next person.

  20. #895
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    No worries. Probably shouldn't have bothered posting it. Not my business.
    It is your business, and you should have posted it. I take your point about being pragmatic, but I always lean on the ideological side because I fear that pragmatism can hide a world of sins...

  21. #896
    Achieve By Unity cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly
    50/50 daughter
    This further complicates the 'it's their country, leave them to it' principle, of course.

    Things aren't as clear cut as that for people who, along with a Thai parent, are raising kids in Thailand.

  22. #897
    Member Bettyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    32,648
    It's a good thread with good links and diverse comments, so it would be a shame if it got lost. In a passionate situation it's difficult not to respond and be aggressive/insulting from time to time, but folks should make the effort, and comments going beyond should be cut out.

    This thread is about a coup in Thailand. This is a Thai based board. Surely, this is a normal place to discuss the coup in Thailand, I find it weird that folks would belittle that and/or people that add their views to the thread.

    A coup is not normal. The Thai army and groups that are aligned to them try very hard to frame social discourse so that one would presume that Thailand is special and coups are normal, but that simply is not so. You have a powerful group who lead the army and get massive wealth from it - they are breaking the law and committing treason. Fullstop. Their reasons are for money and power. Fullstop.

  23. #898
    Chinese spy
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    33,620
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Of The Moog View Post
    Certainly a stroke of luck for the regime that all the red leaders dutifully turned up at HQ, spick and span and ready for arrest.

    Had they stayed at large this weekend might have gone differently on the streets.
    What regime? Right now, we've just got a clique of coup happy Generals and a military dictatorship, no Constitution and hence no Rule of Law, national curfew, numerous people being held incommunicado, near total media suppression etc. Hardly a sustainable situation.

    Maintaining order is the immediate priority, but what is the plan here- a 'council of wise men', or a return to constitutional democracy, or military junta? Waiting to hear, as is the diplomatic community. I presume the generals & cronies do not wish for the recognised Thai government to be with him offshore.

  24. #899
    Member
    Merrimack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Online
    27-05-2014 @ 09:19 PM
    Posts
    695
    A link to BBC video on the protests, may change but now at the McDonald's protest site. Updated this as these don't appear live but recent clips.

    BBC News - Army attempts to quash Thai protests

  25. #900

Page 36 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2628293031323334353637383940414243444686 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •