Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 161
  1. #101
    The Pikey Hunter
    Gerbil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roasting a Hedgehog
    Posts
    12,355

  2. #102
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent View Post
    Rubbish. Toughens one up and is character forming. If a bit of corporal fucks you then life is certainly going to be a challenge. Too many wimps these days are turning minor irritations into bloody melodramas. Fucking drama queens the lot of them.
    YEEAAHH....
    Harden the fuck up!
    Pussies.

  3. #103
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 05:15 AM
    Posts
    3,857
    It all went bad when parents decided they've got to be their kid's friend and taught the kid he/she's 'special'.

    Abdication of the parental role, which is not supposed to be fun and nice all the time.

    I'd get punished at school, if it wasn't corporal punishment we'd laugh it off. When I got the cane and I got home, my dad was waiting with the belt. Good comms resulting in double jeopardy. You tend to sit up, or stand up, and take notice.

    It taught me responsibility, not to mention understanding that your actions have real repercussions. It also showed me my parents were prepared to be parents.

  4. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    22-04-2020 @ 11:39 AM
    Posts
    74


    Original video is deleted but you can find it easy enough

  5. #105
    Member RamboII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    27-12-2015 @ 11:47 AM
    Posts
    88
    Its definitely a thai thing, mainly thai males. My 18 year old step son came to the U.S. and is now in his 5th year of high school. He's shown all the characteristics associated with those thai males that are lazy and unmotivated. He has horrible study habits, doesn't take any notes, doesn't take a homework deadline seriously, doesn't pay attention in class, sometimes sleeping during a lecture and never able to get to a class on time. In thailand, those habits got him in trouble at school at least once a semester and drove one of his teachers to throw an eraser at him, hitting him just below the eye. He was still passed along. Here, he gets extensions on his homework, detentions after repeated violations and endless grief from me. Neither situation has changed his school habits. The only difference is; here he ultimately fails the class if he can't legitimately score a "D." For some reason, he thinks he is entitled as a thai male, which doesn't go over well with his female friends. I'm not willing to go to jail over hitting him but wouldn't in theory rule it out as being bad for him in the long run. He's in line for some hard life lessons in the coming years.
    the other Marmite

  6. #106
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    17-07-2021 @ 11:53 AM
    Location
    Ballarat Australia
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFree View Post
    It all went bad when parents decided they've got to be their kid's friend and taught the kid he/she's 'special'.

    Abdication of the parental role, which is not supposed to be fun and nice all the time.

    I'd get punished at school, if it wasn't corporal punishment we'd laugh it off. When I got the cane and I got home, my dad was waiting with the belt. Good comms resulting in double jeopardy. You tend to sit up, or stand up, and take notice.

    It taught me responsibility, not to mention understanding that your actions have real repercussions. It also showed me my parents were prepared to be parents.
    Very well written, I will print it and show it to many here in Australia.
    This crap about talking to kids nice does'nt work.
    I got the strap at school, I recieved many a crack from my father.
    I loved my father and respected him as I did my 2 brothers.

  7. #107
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,870
    I have read on numerous occasions were Students in Bangkok have been stabbed and shot for just wearing a different school uniform ,this sort of thing has been going on for donkey's years , I wonder if the same "carry on" happens in Singapore?, this article and the remarks in it just about says it all Bangkokpost.com

  8. #108
    Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    19-06-2019 @ 07:47 PM
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFree View Post
    It taught me responsibility, not to mention understanding that your actions have real repercussions.
    It taught me that many adults were sick fucks. My old man taught me responsibility by encouraging me to work after school and save my money. If I played up my parents came down hard, but were never violent.

    Corporal punishment is institutionalized in the Thai education system. If it is such a useful tool, then why isn't the country full of smart, hard working, responsible ppl?

  9. #109
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Buksida View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFree View Post
    It taught me responsibility, not to mention understanding that your actions have real repercussions.
    It taught me that many adults were sick fucks. My old man taught me responsibility by encouraging me to work after school and save my money. If I played up my parents came down hard, but were never violent.

    Corporal punishment is institutionalized in the Thai education system. If it is such a useful tool, then why isn't the country full of smart, hard working, responsible ppl?
    It is, but they are nearly all Thai Chinese! you could be the best educationist on the Planet but there are many that either are unable or unwilling to learn its that simple, but rest assured they will still pass all their exams ,I mean lets have it right the teachers must not incur the Chagrin ("loss of face") of "mummy and Daddy"
    Last edited by piwanoi; 08-03-2013 at 12:25 PM.

  10. #110
    Thailand Expat
    Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    26-11-2020 @ 11:56 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    3,809
    Hey Willy boy, you redded about my comment on this thread, how about you come over here and teach ALL the Thai and farang teachers how to handle these lazy fuckforkids. You being the ALL KNOWING and POWERFUL TEACHER that you know we're just spouting BS.

    Come on over and I'm sure you would make MILLIONS showing NON teachers (Thai and farang) how to teach.
    Eliminator
    1986 Kawasaki 900

  11. #111
    Member
    Rocksteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    26-11-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent
    Toughens one up and is character forming. If a bit of corporal fucks you then life is certainly going to be a challenge.
    It certainly hardens the heart

  12. #112
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 05:15 AM
    Posts
    3,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Buksida View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFree View Post
    It taught me responsibility, not to mention understanding that your actions have real repercussions.
    It taught me that many adults were sick fucks. My old man taught me responsibility by encouraging me to work after school and save my money. If I played up my parents came down hard, but were never violent.

    Corporal punishment is institutionalized in the Thai education system. If it is such a useful tool, then why isn't the country full of smart, hard working, responsible ppl?
    So my father was a sick fuck? Would you kindly clear that up?

    Define 'hard'. Extra work? No pocket money? Rake the leaves?
    To be able to judge the usefulness of such a 'hard' upbringing, I'd have to follow a few of your posts, which I've no time for. So your 'hard' upbringing may not have yielded very satisfactory results, who knows?

    Judging from this one post, it does appear to have left you with a lack of respect for anyone who holds a different viewpoint to your own. Maybe a couple slaps around the ears may have helped for that... Just sayin.

    Maybe you missed the first bit, about teaching fuckin brats they are special. Once you do that, nothing will work.



    Are you special?
    Last edited by FlyFree; 08-03-2013 at 09:34 PM.

  13. #113
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 05:15 AM
    Posts
    3,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozzbie47 View Post
    This crap about talking to kids nice does'nt work.
    Always talk to kids first. And a second time. And a third time. Then there has to be consequences. Consequences that matter, that can't be laughed off.

    Always first explain WHY you think whatever behaviour is unacceptable. Be prepared to discuss it, but never leave it ambiguous.

  14. #114
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    21-07-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    ^
    Its taken 3 pages to get to one of the few sensible answers. No wonder the world is screwed up if the posters here a any measure.

    To me, dishing out the rod is a lazy option. Teaching kids whats right and wrong is damn hard work and takes lots of time. As has already been said, bone idle parenting is whats to blame for the I`lls of today imo. Beating an already idle child will only lead to an idle and violent adult.
    I aint superstitious, but I know when somethings wrong
    I`ve been dragging my heels with a bitch called hope
    Let the undercurrent drag me along.

  15. #115
    Member RamboII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    27-12-2015 @ 11:47 AM
    Posts
    88
    Give me your address and I'll send my 18 year old step son over to you ASAP. I've had him for 5 years and haven't made much headway, particularly with no support from the school district that I live in. I expect to get him back in one year a model citizen.

  16. #116
    Member
    Rocksteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    26-11-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim View Post
    ^


    . Beating an already idle child will only lead to an idle and violent adult.
    As I said, hardens the heart!

  17. #117
    Member
    Rocksteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    26-11-2019 @ 01:41 PM
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by RamboII
    Give me your address and I'll send my 18 year old step son over to you ASAP. I've had him for 5 years and haven't made much headway, particularly with no support from the school district that I live in. I expect to get him back in one year a model citizen.
    I reckon this is very very possible - indeed it worked for me. Put him in the Navy (not army) and they will break him down and rebuild him to live well and to take responsibility for both his job and his conduct on board - at close quarters. You fuck about by putting the lives of two or three hundred men at risk and they will let you know it - in very broad brush strokes!

    There's no escaping it unless you are a psycopath!

  18. #118
    Member Imminent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    02-04-2013 @ 06:58 PM
    Location
    the real world
    Posts
    660
    The Thais keep removing the clip of the teacher hitting the student but there are always copies.






    Here's another school...





    Actually, the do this at the local school here in Esarn. To be honest, I don't think it hurts as much as it looks. Those pants are tough material. All this kids that get wacked usually come out of the room laughing while starring at their friends who are next in line. Only some teachers still do this although I think it is supposed to be banned now. The Chinese teacher at the school would hit the students on the hand or knuckles or something like that.

  19. #119
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    21-07-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    All I can say is, If they did that to my lad, then I would go into school and do the same to them and see if they like it.

    If my lad isnt performing as he should, then speak to me and I`ll make sure there is no repeat, simple as.

    Most teachers I have ever come across in the UK have some serious communication issues (with adults). The way I see it is, they left school and went to collage, then went to University and then started working in a school. They have absolutely no social skills and spent their entire life in the education system. Some of the best teachers I have ever met, have always come into it later in their life.
    Last edited by astasinim; 10-03-2013 at 02:36 AM.

  20. #120
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    17-07-2021 @ 11:53 AM
    Location
    Ballarat Australia
    Posts
    1,458
    ^^^ Oh, the UK you say, now thats a model country isnt it, reminds me of Australia.
    The schools here have the same disapline system.

  21. #121
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,870
    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim View Post
    All I can say is, If they did that to my lad, then I would go into school and do the same to them and see if they like it.

    If my lad isnt performing as he should, then speak to me and I`ll make sure there is no repeat, simple as.

    Most teachers I have ever come across in the UK have some serious communication issues (with adults). The way I see it is, they left school and went to collage, then went to University and then started working in a school. They have absolutely no social skills and spent their entire life in the education system. Some of the best teachers I have ever met, have always come into it later in their life.
    Some pupils in the UK do not have a father at home or come from broken familys, I wonder if thats part of the problem in the UK were there is now record expelling of pupils and far more battered teachers than pupils ! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...every-day.html
    Last edited by piwanoi; 10-03-2013 at 06:43 AM.

  22. #122
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,941
    President Obama had an absent dead beat father,and he went on to do well at school,college,with no beatings,just Grandmas love,and even now he is doing alright for himself. His wife flew over to London and had a photo oppertunity teaching in a girls school.(cameras rolling)

  23. #123
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,870
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    President Obama had an absent dead beat father,and he went on to do well at school,college,with no beatings,just Grandmas love,and even now he is doing alright for himself. His wife flew over to London and had a photo oppertunity teaching in a girls school.(cameras rolling)
    Just who is the "mystery mans" real father?

  24. #124
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,941
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    President Obama had an absent dead beat father,and he went on to do well at school,college,with no beatings,just Grandmas love,and even now he is doing alright for himself. His wife flew over to London and had a photo oppertunity teaching in a girls school.(cameras rolling)
    Just who is the "mystery mans" real father?
    The Feds and CIA must have his DNA and fingerprints on their database.

  25. #125
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,870
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    President Obama had an absent dead beat father,and he went on to do well at school,college,with no beatings,just Grandmas love,and even now he is doing alright for himself. His wife flew over to London and had a photo oppertunity teaching in a girls school.(cameras rolling)
    Just who is the "mystery mans" real father?
    The Feds and CIA must have his DNA and fingerprints on their database.
    Maybe Obama's DNA has never been checked for a match up between him and who he claims his real father isProfiles in October Surprise: Obama's 'Real' Dad - Elspeth Reeve - The Atlantic Wire

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •