Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 35678910111213
Results 301 to 312 of 312
  1. #301
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    11,107
    Nice one, Barty.

  2. #302
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    27-01-2020 @ 12:47 PM
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Barty View Post
    227 days. Roughly seven and a half months.

    Hopefully, you're next.
    Congratulations! After you do the oath you are officially Thai, although without the paperwork.

    Nice to see that 6-8 months is still the expected time. I might be in 4 months. Just hope I'm not abroad.

  3. #303
    Member
    yankee99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Online
    27-01-2020 @ 02:08 PM
    Location
    Pattaya, Thailand
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Congratulations! After you do the oath you are officially Thai, although without the paperwork.

    Nice to see that 6-8 months is still the expected time. I might be in 4 months. Just hope I'm not abroad.
    I thought when your name is printed in the royal gazette you are thai?

  4. #304
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    27-01-2020 @ 12:47 PM
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee99 View Post
    I thought when your name is printed in the royal gazette you are thai?
    I heard that too, but also heard that once you take the oath, the police congratulate you on being Thai.
    I would say you are not officially Thai until you get the letter of Naturalization which you can use for official purposes.

  5. #305
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,159
    The actual final done deal is when the King signs - and then it is printed in the Royal Gazette. Everything before and after that is just paperwork.....

  6. #306
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    27-01-2020 @ 12:47 PM
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    The actual final done deal is when the King signs - and then it is printed in the Royal Gazette. Everything before and after that is just paperwork.....
    I heard that you are asked to show a work permit at the oath and you must still be married, however I agree that nobody is going to want to challenge what the king has already signed.

  7. #307
    Member
    Barty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:21 PM
    Location
    Lamlukka
    Posts
    703
    On Tuesday my wife confirmed with special branch that we would have the oath taking at the police special branch on Wednesday at 13:30. We were asked to confirm that I would be taking the oath as a Christian and told that we were to bring 2 x 2 Ĺ" photos of me wearing a suit and tie with a blue background, the blue tabian baan book, and copies of my passport.

    We arrived at the police HQ on Rama 1 road at 13:05 and sat with the police captain who oversaw my citizen application. I was given two pieces of paper and told to write my full name on them using the Thai script. Although we were early, he apologized saying that we would have to wait for his boss to be free as he was with someone else at the time. We chatted with him and one of his colleagueís while we waited. We learned that there were 47 applicants that were approved for citizenship. I was 13th on the list. It was pointed out to us that of the 47 people, 45 were from the Bangkok province and they emphasized that it is better to use the Bangkok special branch for the application process as they have the most experience doing it.

    At roughly 13:35 we were told to enter the bossís office. We were politely invited to sit at his desk, and he proceeded to confirm my name and that I was taking the oath as a Christian. He then explained what I was expected to do. In the corner of his office is a picture of the King, the Thai flag, and under the Kings picture was a bible. I was to stand at attention in front of the Kingís picture, give the King a shallow bow, turn towards the Thai flag and bow, and then turn back to the Kings picture and place my hand on the bible. While my hand was on the bible the boss would read out the oath and I was to repeat what he said. He then asked did I understand what I was asked to do, which I confirmed that I did. Went ahead with the oath taking, with the boss reading out the oath one word at a time (including my full name). In less than a minute it was done. Shook hands, while the wife got a handful of pictures.

    We were out back onto Rama 1 road at 13:50. Whole thing was done and dusted in less than an hour.

    Couple of things to note.

    Do not try to park at the police HQ, there isnít enough space, even the officers we were chatting with told us that they donít bother trying to park at the HQ. We parked at Central World, went to the third floor and followed the signs to the BTS and then crossed over Rama 1 road through the BTS station. The police HQ is a couple of hundred metres up the road from the BTS stairs.

    At no time was English spoken, everything was done in Thai. They will not speak English with you.

    Learn to write your full name using the Thai script.

    The only document of mine that they looked at was my passport. They did not ask for my work permit or PR book.

  8. #308
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    27-01-2020 @ 12:47 PM
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Barty View Post
    On Tuesday my wife confirmed with special branch that we would have the oath taking at the police special branch on Wednesday at 13:30. We were asked to confirm that I would be taking the oath as a Christian and told that we were to bring 2 x 2 Ĺ" photos of me wearing a suit and tie with a blue background, the blue tabian baan book, and copies of my passport.

    We arrived at the police HQ on Rama 1 road at 13:05 and sat with the police captain who oversaw my citizen application. I was given two pieces of paper and told to write my full name on them using the Thai script. Although we were early, he apologized saying that we would have to wait for his boss to be free as he was with someone else at the time. We chatted with him and one of his colleagueís while we waited. We learned that there were 47 applicants that were approved for citizenship. I was 13th on the list. It was pointed out to us that of the 47 people, 45 were from the Bangkok province and they emphasized that it is better to use the Bangkok special branch for the application process as they have the most experience doing it.

    At roughly 13:35 we were told to enter the bossís office. We were politely invited to sit at his desk, and he proceeded to confirm my name and that I was taking the oath as a Christian. He then explained what I was expected to do. In the corner of his office is a picture of the King, the Thai flag, and under the Kings picture was a bible. I was to stand at attention in front of the Kingís picture, give the King a shallow bow, turn towards the Thai flag and bow, and then turn back to the Kings picture and place my hand on the bible. While my hand was on the bible the boss would read out the oath and I was to repeat what he said. He then asked did I understand what I was asked to do, which I confirmed that I did. Went ahead with the oath taking, with the boss reading out the oath one word at a time (including my full name). In less than a minute it was done. Shook hands, while the wife got a handful of pictures.

    We were out back onto Rama 1 road at 13:50. Whole thing was done and dusted in less than an hour.

    Couple of things to note.

    Do not try to park at the police HQ, there isnít enough space, even the officers we were chatting with told us that they donít bother trying to park at the HQ. We parked at Central World, went to the third floor and followed the signs to the BTS and then crossed over Rama 1 road through the BTS station. The police HQ is a couple of hundred metres up the road from the BTS stairs.

    At no time was English spoken, everything was done in Thai. They will not speak English with you.

    Learn to write your full name using the Thai script.

    The only document of mine that they looked at was my passport. They did not ask for my work permit or PR book.
    Thanks a lot for that detailed description, and congratulations Barty.

    I parked at Siam Square shopping mall last time.

    Interesting that you weren't asked for your WP, I went to lot of trouble(and unnecessary work that I hated) as I was told I would need to show at MoI interview(no) and Oath. Better to be safe I suppose.

    A couple of questions:-

    1 - Is the next step publication in the Royal Gazzette, and did they say how long it is expected to take?
    2 - Is it the boss's office on the ground floor or the Police Col upstairs?

    Cheers

  9. #309
    Member
    Barty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:21 PM
    Location
    Lamlukka
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    A couple of questions:-

    1 - Is the next step publication in the Royal Gazzette, and did they say how long it is expected to take?
    2 - Is it the boss's office on the ground floor or the Police Col upstairs?

    Cheers
    1. They said it will be another 3 - 4 months or so.
    2. Ground floor.

  10. #310
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    27-01-2020 @ 12:47 PM
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Barty View Post
    1. They said it will be another 3 - 4 months or so.
    2. Ground floor.
    Sounds good, so you could have your ID in less than a year after MOI interview.

  11. #311
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,902
    chalky, when you eventually get your thai citizenship will you be changing your avatar from that angry aggressive confrontational falang style meme to a cute cartoonish hello kitty style avatar more in keeping with your newfound thainess?

  12. #312
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    27-01-2020 @ 12:47 PM
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    chalky, when you eventually get your thai citizenship will you be changing your avatar from that angry aggressive confrontational falang style meme to a cute cartoonish hello kitty style avatar more in keeping with your newfound thainess?
    lol, sorry you are offended. I might even buy a Fortuner, as the size of my member will decrease, according to some.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 35678910111213

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •