Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 174
  1. #76
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483

    Update 10/4/2012

    Today I received 4 letters from the USCIS(I-797C, Notice of Action). Across the top they clearly state in big bold letters "This notice does not grant any immigration status or benefit"

    They are all receipts for the following applications.

    I-485 Status Change (her)
    I-765 Application to seek employment (her)
    I-131 Travel Approval (her)
    I-130 Petition for alien Relative (me). This form is a bit odd being she is not a relative but there are boxes on the form and you do need to submit.

    So next up should be a biometrics appt where they will do a bunch of finger printing and so on.

    This is a good sign up to this point. All our documents must have been in order or they would have kicked them back according to info I read.

  2. #77
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,881
    ^Well done. Pretty fast too. I'm now starting with the forms again here. Having gotten my probationary permanent residence almost a year ago, it's time to submit the papers for the final, permanent, permanent resident status. Here's hoping it shoots through......

  3. #78
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483
    ^Thanks DK. Best of luck on your mission as well.

  4. #79
    ความสุขในอีสาน
    nigelandjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Frinton on sea and Ban Pak
    Posts
    12,950
    Sounds good so far JP ,, when my mrs did the biometric thing poor little bugger was so nervous her hands were dripping with cold sweat so the poxy reader thing couldn't read them ,, it went on for an age in that cubicle
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

  5. #80
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483
    ^ Nig that's pretty funny. I can only imagine. Up to this point she has been a very cool customer given the circumstances. I have to give her cudo's for that. She has never lost her patience even when trying to translate and understand the process here. She did however produce a big smile, a huge "sigh" of relief and then whipped us up a few margaritas to toast the letters.

  6. #81
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483

    Update 10/09/2012

    Today we received her "ASC Appointment Notice".

    This is the biometrics appointment. This is scheduled to take place in a few weeks.

    I will post what takes place and any other info.

  7. #82
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483

    Update 10/23/2012

    Today we went to the INS for the Biometrics appointment. It was very straight forward and took about 30 minutes. They finger/hand print both hands and did both old style ink and by digital image and took her picture. She is officially in the system now.

    There was not a lot of information to be gathered about the next step from the staff there. I suspect she will be receiving a TIN card in the near future but will wait and see.

    I will update more info as it becomes available.

  8. #83
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,881
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Today we went to the INS for the Biometrics appointment. It was very straight forward and took about 30 minutes. They finger/hand print both hands and did both old style ink and by digital image and took her picture. She is officially in the system now.

    There was not a lot of information to be gathered about the next step from the staff there. I suspect she will be receiving a TIN card in the near future but will wait and see.

    I will update more info as it becomes available.
    This is just banging along - quite impressive and efficient thus far.

  9. #84
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483

    Update 10/30/2012

    As an FYI for those following this thread;

    The next step for us is a date for an interview. I am posting this as there seems to be a huge unknown when this may happen. My research has shown it can be anywhere from 1 week to 1 year or anywhere inbetween. The various delay lengths appear to be the area you live, INS backlog and other processing protocols so be patient. While in this wait mode, your Spouse/GF etc is safe to stay without penalty until a determination has been made.

    I will post back when the info has been sent

  10. #85
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483

    Update 11/5/2012

    Today we received the interview appt for the first week of Dec.

    Things are moving along extremely fast from what I have read of others who have gone through this process.

    This step will be the most critical I suspect as all of the intentions, why she wants to stay, my support and sponsorship, showing this is not a prearrange deal to get her citizenship so she can bring an entire village over here etc will all come under scrutiny

    I will post the process and what happened during the interview.

  11. #86
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,881
    ^Good luck! It's probably moving more quickly than most because your paperwork was more organized than most.

  12. #87
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483

    Update 12/6/2012

    Had our INS interview today at 1:30pm. Was in and out in all of 14 minutes with her Greencard appvl.

    He had our entire application present and commented on how thorough it was. He thumbed through it and asked some random questions. I showed him supporting documents showing our Cell phone bill, a bank acct with her name on it. He asked how we met, We gave him the readers digest version of it. He asked her if she had ever been arrested, was involved in radical political parties and was here on her own free will.

    She left relieved and its all done.

    We will receive the official greencard with picture in 2 weeks. Next up her Social Security card and California drivers license. With the greencard we can travel back and forth now without any issues.

    FWIIW in the waiting area there were 9 other groups of people waiting with us. 3 or 4 couples , few families and one gal . 7 of them had attorney's as they had stuff spread out everywhere and lots of coaching going on. We got called first. I suspect having an attorney actually makes it complicated and they do not want to deal with them. Keep that in mind

  13. #88
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    18,693
    Congratulations to you both, as you imply, it's all in the preparation/homework. The system works.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

  14. #89
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Congratulations to you both, as you imply, it's all in the preparation/homework. The system works.
    Thanks. All in all it was not difficult and an excellent learning process.

  15. #90
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,881
    Well done, JP. I never had any doubts!

  16. #91
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Well done, JP. I never had any doubts!
    Thanks DK, Now maybe I will marry her........

  17. #92
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Congratulations to you both, as you imply, it's all in the preparation/homework. The system works.
    Thanks. All in all it was not difficult and an excellent learning process.

    and you learnt how to do it next time?

    good luck and happy days
    I have reported your post

  18. #93
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    and you learnt how to do it next time?
    Next time?

    Learning is about knowledge. Knowledge is shared. Amazing how that works huh? Funny seeing a crack like this from a guy who has a multi page house building thread where you "Learned" some tricks which you "Shared" with others... Sometimes DrAndy you open your mouth and remove just about all doubt...

    Maybe I can assist others if they should want to go this route. I have already received a few PM's asking information which I am glad to share. Hope it works for them as it did her.
    Last edited by JPPR2; 07-12-2012 at 09:36 PM.

  19. #94
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,881
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Well done, JP. I never had any doubts!
    Thanks DK, Now maybe I will marry her........
    Now let's not go crazy here........................

  20. #95
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Well done, JP. I never had any doubts!
    Thanks DK, Now maybe I will marry her........
    Now let's not go crazy here........................
    ^Good Point....Thanks for the swift kick in the nuts buddy...Whewwwwwwww!!!

  21. #96
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    18,693
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2
    Maybe I can assist others if they should want to go this route. I have already received a few PM's asking information which I am glad to share. Hope it works for them as it did her.
    I nearly added a similar thought to my congratulations but deleted it.

    You have the template, you have satisfied customers and I am sure you can beat the "professionals".
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

  22. #97
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2
    Maybe I can assist others if they should want to go this route. I have already received a few PM's asking information which I am glad to share. Hope it works for them as it did her.
    I nearly added a similar thought to my congratulations but deleted it.

    You have the template, you have satisfied customers and I am sure you can beat the "professionals".
    Here is what is interesting. In talking with the INS rep, he called us first because we did not have an attorney and we filled out our own paperwork. All the Gov forms have that section on the bottom where you sign that you filled them out on your own or the legal rep that did them for you. I suspect you raise big questions if you have an attorney. To the rep you are adding a huge element of suspicion that you are hiding something being most attorneys are coaching you what to say and how to say it.

    I told him that the Gov site is quite easy to use. The forms are all PDF and you can save them. He smirked and just commented "Its why we closely scrutinize the people that cannot do them on their own"

    Again just glad I can help and hope this thread has or will help others.

  23. #98
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2
    California drivers license
    A fascinating thread and well done the both of you.

    I presume she will have to take a proper test to get a driving license?

  24. #99
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    6,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    I presume she will have to take a proper test to get a driving license?
    First up is a Social Security card as she has expressed interest in working as a nurse or in the health care sector. Then comes her California Drivers license. She wants one but her Thai Drivers license is 100% accepted here with no constraints. So I told her to pursue it as time permits. I am not sure what it entails to acquire one. Whether she has to do student driver cert then behind the wheel test at Dept of Motors Vehicle or take just the written. I will post back on this when she embarks on that. On a side note some businesses require you have a CDL (Cal Drivers License) as part of employment. The reason being is they can do a background check where as they have no means if she has a Thai DL.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    A fascinating thread and well done the both of you.
    Thanks. Again I started and posted the timeline as I figured it would be interesting with an uncertain outcome.

  25. #100
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    and you learnt how to do it next time?
    Next time?

    Learning is about knowledge. Knowledge is shared. Amazing how that works huh? Funny seeing a crack like this from a guy who has a multi page house building thread where you "Learned" some tricks which you "Shared" with others... Sometimes DrAndy you open your mouth and remove just about all doubt...

    Maybe I can assist others if they should want to go this route. I have already received a few PM's asking information which I am glad to share. Hope it works for them as it did her.
    Good on ya JP with this thread. When my wife obtained her Green Card back in the day - like before 9/11, the process was a little easier. Good luck with the INS.
    A Deplorable Bitter Clinger

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •