Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 127
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,086

    A Hero Comes Along (Finally!)

    Obama Blasts Trump’s Virus Response as ‘Chaotic Disaster’

    By Jennifer A Dlouhy
    May 10, 2020, 2:37 AM GMT+7
    Bloomberg/asia


    • Former president exhorts staff to rally behind Joe Biden
    • Handling of pandemic to figure heavily into November election


    Former President Barack Obama Photographer: Sean Gallup/Getty Images

    Former President Barack Obama delivered a blistering attack on Donald Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, calling it “an absolute chaotic disaster” as well as “anemic.”

    Obama’s remarks, first reported by Yahoo News, came in a leaked call as the former president exhorted members of his administration to rally behind presumptive 2020 Democratic nominee Joe Biden. The comments were perhaps the most scathing criticism Obama has yet delivered of his successor in the White House.

    Critics have said the U.S. government wasted precious time in February by failing to ramp up testing and stockpile supplies as the coronavirus spread in Europe. The U.S. now leads the world in confirmed Covid-19 infections, with nearly 1.3 million as of Saturday. More than 78,000 have died in the U.S. from the virus.

    However, Trump has defended his handling of the pandemic, repeatedly highlighting his Jan. 31 decision to impose travel restrictions barring most non-U.S. citizens from entering the U.S. after recent visits to China.
    “President Trump’s coronavirus response has been unprecedented and saved American lives,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a statement on Saturday.

    “While Democrats were pursuing a sham witch hunt against President Trump, President Trump was shutting down travel from China. While Democrats encouraged mass gatherings, President Trump was deploying PPE, ventilators, and testing across the country.”
    Obama, in Friday’s remarks, cast the U.S. response to the virus as an outgrowth of tribalism as he sought to emphasize the urgency of the November election.

    “What we’re going to be battling is not just a particular individual or a political party. What we’re fighting against is these long-term trends in which being selfish, being tribal, being divided and seeing others as an enemy -- that has become a stronger impulse in American life” as well as internationally, Obama said.

    “And it’s part of the reason why the response to this global crisis has been so anemic and spotty,” he said.
    While coronavirus “would have been bad even with the best of governments,” Obama said, “it has been an absolute chaotic disaster when that mindset -- of ‘what’s in it for me’ and ‘to heck with everybody else’ -- when that mindset is operationalized in our government.”
    Obama said that’s why he will be “spending as much time as necessary” and campaigning as hard as he can for Biden.

    Although Obama endorsed Biden in April and promised to hit the campaign trail in support, he’s generally shied from delivering sharp attacks against Trump. However, that tone may change as Obama becomes a more visible cheerleader and surrogate for Biden.
    Majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd

  2. #2
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    22,460
    drumpf is chucking his toys out of the pram as more mail in voting is being allowed

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,086
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    drumpf is chucking his toys out of the pram as more mail in voting is being allowed
    ...that pram needs bars...

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    37,547
    The right / GOP will kick back on this decrying it as a breaking of the unwritten rule of former presidents not criticizing the incumbent.

    That sort of hypocrisy is tailor-made for them.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    67,250
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    The right / GOP will kick back on this decrying it as a breaking of the unwritten rule of former presidents not criticizing the incumbent.

    That sort of hypocrisy is tailor-made for them.
    He doesn't mention the President , or even the Executive Branch.

    He just says "government".

    So whoever responds...


  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,086
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    He doesn't mention the President , or even the Executive Branch.
    ...maybe the alt-right will think he means the deep state...

  7. #7
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:59 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    22,390
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    That sort of hypocrisy is tailor-made for them.
    Oh yes . . . they'll milk it

  8. #8
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    29,776
    I wish people would Call Trump on his BS more forcefully. I.E. that nurse he contradicted in the oval office the other day. The cameras were on and a good tongue lashing would be played over and over all over the world.
    She shouldn't have caved to him the coward, she should have said, "No, PPE IS in short supply everywhere and if not why isn't it being directed to us who need it? like I said I've been wearing the same mask for two weeks putting myself and people I interact with in danger, what are you doing about it...SIR!".
    People are too easy on him.
    “If we stop testing right now we’d have very few cases, if any.” Donald J Trump.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    I wish people would Call Trump on his BS more forcefully. I.E. that nurse he contradicted in the oval office the other day. The cameras were on and a good tongue lashing would be played over and over all over the world.
    ...I suspect that anyone who appears with him on camera has been carefully vetted to avoid such embarrassment...

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    02-07-2020 @ 12:04 AM
    Posts
    14,655
    Obama, the great social manipulator, who did fuck all to fix things, is lecturing Trump about his response to the first greatest disaster of the 21st century?

    holly fuck, Obama couldn't have universal healthcare for all Americans, and fucked up badly that fundamental right for all humans

    he is frigging a hypocrite, and wouldn't have done better

  11. #11
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,640
    Speculative matter of course, but one could easily guess that any competent President [regardless of political affiliation] would've handled this mess more efficiently - setting a unified, practical and positive tone.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:00 PM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    11,508
    Probably a response to Trump's accusations about Obama's handling of the H1N1 (Swine Flu) epidemic in 2011.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    67,250
    Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
    Probably a response to Trump's accusations about Obama's handling of the H1N1 (Swine Flu) epidemic in 2011.
    Did bleach kill that as well?

  14. #14
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    29,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Obama, the great social manipulator, who did fuck all to fix things, is lecturing Trump about his response to the first greatest disaster of the 21st century?

    holly fuck, Obama couldn't have universal healthcare for all Americans, and fucked up badly that fundamental right for all humans

    he is frigging a hypocrite, and wouldn't have done better
    Your mental capacity seems to be deteriorating.
    It's the repubtards that oppose universal healthcare or are you unaware.

  15. #15
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    29,776
    Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
    Probably a response to Trump's accusations about Obama's handling of the H1N1 (Swine Flu) epidemic in 2011.
    At the beginning of this, tards like buttplug were slagging off Obamas handling of H1N1, 12,500 dead when Trump only had 15 cases of Coronavirus which would be down to 0 pretty soon and it would just go away.
    They seem to think we forgot.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Posts
    7,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Obama, the great social manipulator, who did fuck all to fix things,
    But he did fix the rescue for the poor corporates, didn't he? (under the proper help of his VP...)

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    37,547
    Yep, it was inevitable: Covid 19 coronavirus: Republicans say Barack Obama 'should have kept his mouth shut' - NZ Herald

    McConnell lecturing on decorum and class?!

    Does he actively try to forget who he bends the knee to.


  18. #18
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:59 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    22,390
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    McConnell lecturing on decorum and class?!
    Trump and his assorted human faecal matter consistently trash Obama, but how dare the black boy respond . . . actually Obama has been quite the disappointment - yet again - by not being more vocal about the situation the US is in

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,086
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    ...actually Obama has been quite the disappointment - yet again - by not being more vocal about the situation the US is in
    ...tradition in recent times says that it's bad presidential form to criticize your predecessor. That, I think, is the reason that Obama has been reticent to speak out about the obvious ineptitude and graft most have already witnessed. It's worth noting that his negative comments were not made in an open forum, but were leaked from a telephone conversation. I imagine he'll be much more vocal as November nears, if only for the sake of the country. My hope is that tRump continues to rage so incoherently at Obama's every poke in the eye that even those in the Fox bubble might suspect an Adderol shortage at the WH...

  20. #20
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,075
    Quote Originally Posted by panama hat View Post
    actually Obama has been quite the disappointment - yet again - by not being more vocal about the situation the US is in
    I disagree.


    It means that what he does say resonates.

    If he had been more vocal then the Rep response would be very predictable 'sore loser / yesterday's man' jibes, and it would carry more weight.

    Also, he need hardly say much to look so, so infinitely preferable to the incumbent.

  21. #21
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:59 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    22,390
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    It's worth noting that his negative comments were not made in an open forum, but were leaked from a telephone conversation
    That gives my criticism even more weight - he needs to step up. He was a statesman.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I imagine he'll be much more vocal as November nears,
    It'll be too little too late to energise young voters and minorities and those who for some odd reason need to be pushed to vote . . . and the Bernie-ites

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Also, he need hardly say much to look so, so infinitely preferable to the incumbent.
    Bo, the Obama's dog, is infinitely preferable.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    02-07-2020 @ 12:04 AM
    Posts
    14,655
    Obama is an orator, that's all he does, speak and lecture, which he does very well (unlike Trump)

    but that's it, he can't act on anything

    while Trump is a doer, he leads and does things, yet he speaks shit

    can't have it both ways,

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    67,250
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    ...tradition in recent times says that it's bad presidential form to criticize your predecessor. That, I think, is the reason that Obama has been reticent to speak out about the obvious ineptitude and graft most have already witnessed. It's worth noting that his negative comments were not made in an open forum, but were leaked from a telephone conversation. I imagine he'll be much more vocal as November nears, if only for the sake of the country. My hope is that tRump continues to rage so incoherently at Obama's every poke in the eye that even those in the Fox bubble might suspect an Adderol shortage at the WH...
    Does tradition allow you to repeatedly slag off your predecessor with lies (e.g. Obama didn't leave a vaccine for a virus that didn't exist) without the right to reply?

    Baldy orange cunto made his own piss-stained bed, he can fucking lie in it.

  24. #24
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    20,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Trump is a dodger
    fixed

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Posts
    7,217
    Not sure what's this all about. Is it about the ObamaGate?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •