Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 429
  1. #151
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    19,217
    Do women actually wear burkas in Bangladesh?

    A Google image search for Bangladesh women does not come up with a single one wearing a burka.

  2. #152
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,057
    Well, pompeysbloke has come back with a new nic, what do you expect?

  3. #153
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,509
    Most pointless family photo ever.


  4. #154
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    19,217
    Quote Originally Posted by adzt1 View Post
    Not it quite true

    you can only give British citizenship by descent to a child born outside the uk if one parent was born in the Uk and that parent had 2 British born parents
    I don't think the last part is right. The mother is British and was born in the UK. She's not British by descent so she can pass on her citizeship to her children (by descent if born outside the UK). I've seen nothing to say that 2 British born grandparents are necessary. Do you have a link or some other reference to support that view?
    Nev has style

  5. #155
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    19,217
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    Well, pompeysbloke has come back with a new nic, what do you expect?
    britanicus. Yes. But he's still active on his pompeysbroke nic. A few days in jail should cure him.

  6. #156
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,509
    Muslim 'Lollipop Lady'.


  7. #157
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    19,217
    ^ Perfect for those dark winter mornings.

  8. #158
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    A few days in jail should cure him.
    Leave him alone. Good poster is Pompey.

  9. #159
    I'm in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    20-08-2020 @ 01:49 AM
    Posts
    11,610
    There a lot of anger on the forum today, had to check if it was friday.

  10. #160
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    19,217
    Quote Originally Posted by adzt1 View Post
    you can only give British citizenship by descent to a child born outside the uk if one parent was born in the Uk and that parent had 2 British born parents
    You’re automatically a British citizen if you were born outside the UK and all of the following apply:

    * you were born on or after 1 July 2006
    * your mother or father was a British citizen when you were born
    * your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you


    Your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you if they were one of the following:

    * born or adopted in the UK
    * given citizenship after applying for it in their own right (not based on having a British parent)
    * working as a Crown servant when you were born (for example in the diplomatic service, overseas civil service or armed forces)

    https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship...er-1-july-2006

  11. #161
    Thailand Expat
    adzt1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    30-07-2019 @ 08:45 PM
    Location
    watching&learning
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    But being below the age of 18 she's considered a child by the Court of Human Rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    You’re automatically a British citizen if you were born outside the UK and all of the following apply:

    * you were born on or after 1 July 2006
    * your mother or father was a British citizen when you were born
    * your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you


    Your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you if they were one of the following:

    * born or adopted in the UK
    * given citizenship after applying for it in their own right (not based on having a British parent)
    * working as a Crown servant when you were born (for example in the diplomatic service, overseas civil service or armed forces)

    https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship...er-1-july-2006

    yeah .gov I’ll follow that

    when I applied for a passport to Brit embassy in 2012 I was refused because I only had a short birth certificate

    i had to supply (after ordering a copy and having it posted) a full “Long “ Uk birth cert, the only difference between long and short is one names your parents name dob place of birth and occupation

    there must be something in there that implies British or Britisher�� and maybe why the Home Secretary has played his card! Setting the president maybe


    I always did did wonder if two British citizens who were born in the uk to immigrant parents had a child whilst on holiday, would they have to go through the immigration route to get back ?

    Say in Bangkok, Thailand wouldn’t give citizenship?
    newborn would need a passport to travel to Uk?
    ifso to apply for said passport (I remember it went via Hong Kong) they want to know your parents..


    for some reason ��


    i mean if I was in her shoes the home Office could not revoke my citizenship (as many quotes of international law) as according to my birth certificate I cannot obtain any other nationality,

    maybe Sadj is dipping his toe in the water?
    Last edited by adzt1; 21-02-2019 at 12:16 AM.
    will not put up wiv the "Nanny state" so don't push it on me.

  12. #162
    Isle of Discombobulation
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,762
    Can someone do the honours, made me chuckle..
    Oh, FFS ... UK schoolgirl who fled to join Islamic State 'wants to return home to Eng-screenshot_2019-02-20-19-12-45-a

  13. #163
    I'm in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    20-08-2020 @ 01:49 AM
    Posts
    11,610
    Oh, FFS ... UK schoolgirl who fled to join Islamic State 'wants to return home to Eng-like-clockwork-png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oh, FFS ... UK schoolgirl who fled to join Islamic State 'wants to return home to Eng-like-clockwork-png  

  14. #164
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,890
    US just denied the Alabama-born terrorist entry to the US, ever, as well as her kid from one of the three terrorists she shacked up with. She was born in the US, but her father was a foreign diplomat at the time of her birth, thus she is not, per the State Department, a US citizen, nor has she ever been. Nice loophole find.

    Read a bit more. Her Dad was a low-level Yemeni UN employee. Yemen, like a number of other fly-speck countries, routinely puts virtually all of their employees, drivers, cooks, the lot, on their diplomatic list. But, he was fired a month before she was born. She in fact had a US passport as a kid, and renewed it before heading off to be an ISIS wife. So, a bit murky. Still, POTUS and SECSTATE say she isn't entering the US. We shall see.
    Last edited by Davis Knowlton; 21-02-2019 at 10:48 AM.

  15. #165
    Thailand Expat
    happynz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Location
    on the corner of dusty and dustier
    Posts
    10,073
    Quote Originally Posted by adzt1 View Post
    yeah .gov I’ll follow that

    when I applied for a passport to Brit embassy in 2012 I was refused because I only had a short birth certificate

    i had to supply (after ordering a copy and having it posted) a full “Long “ Uk birth cert, the only difference between long and short is one names your parents name dob place of birth and occupation

    there must be something in there that implies British or Britisher�� and maybe why the Home Secretary has played his card! Setting the president maybe


    I always did did wonder if two British citizens who were born in the uk to immigrant parents had a child whilst on holiday, would they have to go through the immigration route to get back ?

    Say in Bangkok, Thailand wouldn’t give citizenship?
    newborn would need a passport to travel to Uk?
    ifso to apply for said passport (I remember it went via Hong Kong) they want to know your parents..


    for some reason ��


    i mean if I was in her shoes the home Office could not revoke my citizenship (as many quotes of international law) as according to my birth certificate I cannot obtain any other nationality,

    maybe Sadj is dipping his toe in the water?
    An alumnus of Trump University, eh? Don't tell me...you majored in word salads, right?


  16. #166
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    Do women actually wear burkas in Bangladesh?
    Not when I lived there.

  17. #167
    Thailand Expat
    lob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    22-09-2020 @ 12:00 PM
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    While I think she should be made an example of, a sort of collateral damage casualty left to her own devices outside the UK (for the greater good), I think people should spare a thought for the innocent baby to come, and also consider had she been white and the victim of a modern day Westboro Baptist type loon modern day Charles Manson propagandist manipulator and not a dark skinned Muslim, people would be thinking she's the victim not the baddie.
    u take er in then.

  18. #168
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    20,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Cow View Post
    Even Omo wouldn't run with that line.
    .....

  19. #169
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    19,217
    Shamina Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen and will not be allowed here, Bangladesh says

    Shamima Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen and there is "no question" of her being allowed into the country, Bangladesh's ministry of foreign affairs has said.

    The UK has stripped the 19-year-old - who fled London to join Islamic State - of her British citizenship.

    Such a move is only possible if an individual is eligible for citizenship elsewhere.

    It was thought Ms Begum had Bangladeshi citizenship through her mother.

    But the ministry of foreign affairs said the government was "deeply concerned" she had been "erroneously identified" as a Bangladeshi national.

    In a statement, it said Ms Begum had never applied for dual nationality with Bangladesh and had never visited the country.

    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47312207

  20. #170
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    19,217
    Shamima Begum 'is not a Bangladeshi citizen and will not be allowed here,' says foreign minister

    Shamima Begum, who fled to Syria aged 15, is not a Bangladeshi citizen and will be barred from entering the country, its foreign ministry has said.

    Home Secretary Sajid Javid revoked her British citizenship in a move only permissible under international law if it does not leave the individual stateless.

    There had been speculation that Ms Begum, who is of Bangladeshi heritage, may have citizenship there but its minister of state for foreign affairs Shahriar Alam denied this on Wednesday.

    It comes as the 19-year-old told BBC News that she only has "one citizenship" and that it was wrong for the UK to revoke it without speaking to her first.

    Britain stripped the teenager of her citizenship on Tuesday.

    The Home Office sent a letter to her family explaining her citizenship had been revoked, a move made possible due to its belief that she has dual British and Bangladeshi citizenship through her mother.

    However, the Bangladeshi foreign ministry has now denied reports she is a Bangladeshi citizen.

    A statement said: “The government of Bangladesh is deeply concerned that she has been erroneously identified as a holder of dual citizenship shared with Bangladesh alongside her birthplace, the United Kingdom.

    "Bangladesh asserts that Ms Shamima Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen. She is a British citizen by birth and has never applied for dual nationality with Bangladesh.

    "It may also be mentioned that she never visited Bangladesh in the past despite her parental lineage.

    "So, there is no question of her being allowed to enter into Bangladesh."

    The statement added that Dhaka had only been made aware of the situation by the media.

    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4072181.html

  21. #171
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:21 PM
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    31,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    Not when I lived there.
    Nor I. Looked like India ladies to me.


  22. #172
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    19,217
    .... Home Secretary Sajid Javid today suggested that her son, named Jarrar, will be British despite his mother's citizenship being revoked.

    When questions were raised in the Commons over her son's nationality, Mr Javid said: "Children should not suffer.

    "So, if a parent does lose their British citizenship, it does not affect the rights of their child. Deprivation is a powerful tool that can only be used to keep the most dangerous individuals out of this country and we do not use it lightly.

    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4072181.html

  23. #173
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,890
    ^^And certainly NEVER saw one that looked like her.

  24. #174
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton View Post
    She in fact had a US passport as a kid, and renewed it before heading off to be an ISIS wife. So, a bit murky. Still, POTUS and SECSTATE say she isn't entering the US. We shall see.
    We shall. Land of the free rights and all that, unless there's already legislation prohibiting what she did with outcast consequences, she might be home and hosed after a small legal battle. Of course Trump will make a meal of it at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by lob View Post
    u take er in then.
    That's a bit of an odd comment when I have repeatedly said (even in my post you quoted) that I think she should be made an example of and denied return.
    Don't confuse academic arguments for equality with a standpoint.

  25. #175
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    .... Home Secretary Sajid Javid today suggested that her son, named Jarrar, will be British despite his mother's citizenship being revoked.

    When questions were raised in the Commons over her son's nationality, Mr Javid said: "Children should not suffer.

    "So, if a parent does lose their British citizenship, it does not affect the rights of their child. Deprivation is a powerful tool that can only be used to keep the most dangerous individuals out of this country and we do not use it lightly.

    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4072181.html
    He's wrapping himself up in knots, ambitious guy, would advise May to not let him be within striking distance of her back.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •