1. #5076
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,006
    One thing I never quite got, maybe one of the 'mericans can fill me in. I understand the requirement to register to vote (we basically do the same in UK) -but why the requirement (? desire?) to register as a particular type (Repub/Dem/Indipendent)?

    Everything I have seen says it does not bind you in any way (lots of registered repubs look to likely vote Biden) - so what is the dope?

  2. #5077
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    7,957
    ^A “primary”

    Real quick copy and paste and hope it’ll answer your question. Florida has it on the ballot this election……..

    Our nation has a primary election system for a reason: So that voters of a party can choose who will represent them in the general election. Low primary turnout and the growing number of voters without party affiliation have led many to think the solution to our political system's problems is to throw away the entire system.

    Amendment 3 on the Nov. 3 ballot vows to do just that. But we believe it will create more problems.

    Amendment 3 would open primaries for Florida governor, state Legislature and state Cabinet to voters of all and no party affiliations. Under this "open primary" system (also known as a "jungle primary"), all candidates, regardless of party affiliation, would be listed on the same ballot and the top two finishers in a primary would advance to the general election. The top-two candidates could be both Republicans, Democrats, one of which, of a third party or of no-party affiliates.
    : Florida's Amendment 3: Open primaries would have unintended consequences
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

  3. #5078
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,098
    Some late night hosts take on things.
    Check out Trevor Noahs twitter clip.


    Colbert on the final Trump v Biden debate: 'like dental surgery' | Culture | The Guardian

  4. #5079
    RIP pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,132
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Q.E.D.

    No Repeater, they are not.

    This is all just a desperate attempt by Trump to replay 2016 because he knows Comey's announcement before the election hurt Clinton.

    It's transparent and dumb and you'd have to either be ignorant, credulous and stupid, or have a vested interest in the lie to not see that -- or a combination of all three.

    That's not corruption though. THat is standard fleecing of the public purse which is at the heart of ALL politicians.

  5. #5080
    Guest Member S Landreth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    left of center
    Posts
    7,957
    ^Connecting the dots again



  6. #5081
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,006
    Quote Originally Posted by S Landreth View Post
    Great point. Makes sense. Thanks.

  7. #5082
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    One thing I never quite got, maybe one of the 'mericans can fill me in. I understand the requirement to register to vote (we basically do the same in UK) -but why the requirement (? desire?) to register as a particular type (Repub/Dem/Indipendent)?

    Everything I have seen says it does not bind you in any way (lots of registered repubs look to likely vote Biden) - so what is the dope?
    I don't' know any 'mericans , but as an American I will try to answer your question .
    No one is required to registered in any particular party. and many people are not. The only thing you are required is that you are registered to vote so that a voting precinct is assigned to you for administrative purposes, ie knowing who and where one is allowed to vote. .
    Each state, this being a federation of states, has it's own elections commission and particular rules on how the Parties behave in each particular state .
    In my home state of Florida ,You can register for the two major parties Democrat or Republican or any of the minor parties so that you can participate in their Primary voting . Or you can declare your self Independent , which indicates no party affiliation and you are not allowed to participate in any of the Primaries,
    I am sure you must have a similar system in 'ritan .
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

  8. #5083
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,006
    ^ Appreciate it. But no, we do not have a similar system.

  9. #5084
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,098
    Some late night hosts take on things.
    Check out Trevor Noahs twitter clip

    Colbert on the final Trump v Biden debate: 'like dental surgery' | Late-night TV roundup | The Guardian

  10. #5085
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    ^ Appreciate it. But no, we do not have a similar system.
    I am not being argumentative, I am sincerely curious to know.
    What system do you have to control how the parties behave in regards to voting , for instance that one party does not try to mess up another parties nominating prosses by infiltrating it and getting some idiot who has no chance of being elected , or even supports that party's platform nominated.
    -Or by having people vote in what ever area they want and not being able to tell who voted where and hoe many times. ? You must have some sort of system, but I am sure it is different because you have a parliamentary system ( that I like more than our system an wish we had) and consequently it would have different controls.

  11. #5086
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    5,296
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Facts.


    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA

    Like that massive made-up Caravan of Immigrants that was coming before the mid-terms and then mysteriously vanished?

    That sort of "Fact"?
    You really have had your head in the sand.

  12. #5087
    Member elche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    That's not corruption though.
    It sure is when Jared Kushner meets with financial executives in the White House and then hits them up for $500 million in loans to his family’s troubled real estate empire, a business in which he maintains an active stake. Or when Jared's sister made news by promising US visas to rich Chinese in exchange for $500,000 investments in Kushner's properties. Or when a country wants a US diplomatic mission to visit they suddenly invest in Kushner's properties. Nepotism and corruption are the handmaidens of the Trump presidency. Btw, where are those taxes returns?
    Last edited by elche; 24-10-2020 at 10:43 PM.

  13. #5088
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    5,296
    Quote Originally Posted by elche View Post
    The truth stings, doesn't it? Get over it snowflake.
    Btw, how can you lick the shoes of anyone else when you're too busy licking the shoes (and balls and hemorrhoids) of your messiah, diaper don?
    And up comes another shoe licker

  14. #5089
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    38,971
    You’re a cultist Repeater. You can’t argue on the facts so all you ever do is resort to puerile retorts like that

  15. #5090
    RIP pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,132
    Quote Originally Posted by elche View Post
    It sure is when Jared Kushner meets with financial executives in the White House and then hits them up for $500 million in loans to his family’s troubled real estate empire, a business in which he maintains an active stake. Or when Jared's sister made news by promising US visas to rich Chinese in exchange for $500,000 investments in Kushner's properties. Or when a country wants a US diplomatic mission to visit they suddenly invest in Kushner's properties. Nepotism and corruption are the handmaidens of the Trump presidency. Btw, where are those taxes returns?
    Well if you think that Biden is the fecking messiah because although he is corrupt, he's not as corrupt as the Orange bastard, then you are a nutcase.

  16. #5091
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    33,548
    How Joe Biden Went from Middle-Class Joe to a Millionaire


    Take a look at the presidential candidate's financial documents.

    Joe Biden Net Worth 2020 - How Did Joe Biden Earn His Money?

  17. #5092
    Member elche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Well if you think that Biden is the fecking messiah because although he is corrupt, he's not as corrupt as the Orange bastard, then you are a nutcase.
    Who said Biden is a messiah? And who said he is perfect? Far from it. But that thieving, grifting, cheating, stiffing, lying and impeached devil in the WH today has no match in terms of corruption, as the polls suggest and the rest of the world knows. Your argument, if you can call it one, is equivalent to comparing a neighbor who steps on your property to Al Capone.

  18. #5093
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    How Joe Biden Went from Middle-Class Joe to a Millionaire


    Take a look at the presidential candidate's financial documents.

    Joe Biden Net Worth 2020 - How Did Joe Biden Earn His Money?
    according to your link, Biden is worth $9 million

    Mitch McConnell is worth about 22 million,
    Mitch McConnell - Wikipedia
    Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; 25-10-2020 at 03:46 AM.

  19. #5094
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    1,221
    Do your civic duty.
    2020 US Presidential Race-trump-1234-jpg
    Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; 25-10-2020 at 03:54 AM.

  20. #5095
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    70,845
    Quote Originally Posted by RPETER65 View Post
    You really have had your head in the sand.
    If that is a euphemism for not swallowing Fox News bullshit like you do, then I plead guilty.

  21. #5096
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    31,098
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    You’re a cultist Repeater. You can’t argue on the facts so all you ever do is resort to puerile retorts like that
    All the Trumptards do because as you said they can't argue on the facts. (well maybe 'alternative' facts)

  22. #5097
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,816
    it isn't a big story in the news just yet, but pence's office is the most recent COVID hotspot.

    it's ten days to the election....anyone legitimately undecided will have a hard time looking past the incompetence of the trump/pence administration when it comes to handling COVID.

  23. #5098
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    38,971
    Pence is considered a ‘close contact’ and should be self-isolating but of course he isn’t and will continue to campaign because they are a death cult and just don’t give a fuck.

  24. #5099
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    11,456
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey View Post
    it isn't a big story in the news just yet, but pence's office is the most recent COVID hotspot.
    Ray is on the money, yet again ...


    Mike Pence's closest aide tests positive for coronavirus but Vice-President to continue campaigning

    2020 US Presidential Race-12811370-16x9-xlarge-jpg

    US Vice-President Mike Pence's chief of staff has tested positive for the coronavirus.
    Mr Pence and his wife, Karen Pence, both tested negative for the virus on Saturday and remain in good health, spokesman Devin O'Malley said.

    Marc Short is Mr Pence's closest aide and the Vice-President is considered a "close contact" under Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.
    But Mr Pence' spokesman said the Vice-President intended to continue with his election campaign schedule.


    Mike Pence'''s closest aide tests positive for coronavirus but Vice-President to continue campaigning - ABC News
    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

  25. #5100
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    I am not being argumentative, I am sincerely curious to know.
    Nah, that is cool. From what I remember, you register at your local Electoral Registration Office (now you can do so on line). You need your National Insurance number (you get this issued by the Government some time before your 16th Birthday). You will then get added to your local electoral register. No affiliation is part of this.

    UK is divided into some 500 or so constituencies, each of which elects one person to parliament. People stand for election as independents, or belonging to one of the established parties (e.g the big two -labour and conservative). Election day I ruck up and vote for the person I would like to represent my constituency - only that. Biggest party (most elected members of parliament) forms the government.

    The big difference is that the Prime Minister is selected by the party *not* the electorate. (Obviously going into the election there are candidates who are identified by the parties as who will lead the party as Prime Minister if the party gets to form the government).

    I think the biggest consequential difference betwee the two systems is that the party leader (who may end up as Prime Minister) usually has a long career in government, often with quite senior portfolios. The "businessman one day, leader of the country next day" scenario could not happen in UK.

Page 204 of 265 FirstFirst ... 104154194196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212214254 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •