1. #25276
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Posts
    14,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Travel ban from Europe is going to throw a spanner in the works.
    and it is not like the virus needs a passport to travel,

    will not work, contamination in the US could be hughe!!!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 12-03-2020 at 08:28 PM.

  2. #25277
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    66,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Travel ban from Europe is going to throw a spanner in the works.
    On the bright side, I am banned from going to Saudi.


  3. #25278
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,054
    I had a few moments to waste and watched about 2 minutes of Trump's speech and that's all I could tolerate. Honestly its virtually impossible for me to watch him. He is a terrible public speaker and comes across like game show host. He brings little to the table and instills
    no confidence to the US people as no one takes him seriously.

    The only golden chip he had was the stock market kept rising as people will tolerate incompetence if their financial position stays positive. Now with the market tanking he will start the blame game to deflect his ineptness.

  4. #25279
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    come on, there is nothing that Trump could do to stop the spread
    ok....

    1. who are the national security council officials on the pandemic response team?

    answer: nobody. there no longer is an NSC pandemic response team.

    they were pushed out in 2018 and never replaced.




    2. what's the medical background of the the secretary of health and human services?

    answer: he doesn't have a medical background...he was a lobbyist for big pharma.



    3. trump's 2021 budget had massive cuts to the CDC


    4. edited to add.....WTF happened with the tests?


    knowledgeable people are predicting tens of millions of covid-19 infections in the US.....you can bet there will be congressional investigations.
    Last edited by raycarey; 12-03-2020 at 04:55 PM.

  5. #25280
    Thailand Expat
    happynz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Location
    on the corner of dusty and dustier
    Posts
    9,760
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    On the bright side, I am banned from going to Saudi.
    On the bright side my morning commute has been a breeze as half the country is sitting on their sofas.

  6. #25281
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Posts
    14,502
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey View Post
    ok....

    answer: nobody. there no longer is an NSC pandemic response team.

    answer: he doesn't have a medical background...he was a lobbyist for big pharma.

    knowledgeable people are predicting tens of millions of covid-19 infections in the US.....you can bet there will be congressional investigations.
    ok you are acting like he has some kind of control, he doesn't, and neither does his subordinates

    Macron, a competent leader, is going through the same mistakes, hospital budget cuts, incompetent minister, and a few millions pending cases already happening in France

    no leader can manage that crisis, doesn't matter how competent your staff is, they are not prepared for this, nobody is

    Trump is doing the good thing by acting like a chimp, because that's all there is to do, entertaining the press

    Vive le Trump

  7. #25282
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey View Post
    when the media gets a moment to catch its breath (no pun intended), they've badly bungled the handling of this outbreak, .
    Monumentally....

    The Trump administration has had since November to prepare, and they’ve dragged their feet, predicting this will “magically” disappear. As of last Friday, South Korea has tested 140,000 of their citizens. The US has tested 2,000.
    The ineptitude of this administration is mind boggling.

  8. #25283
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,083
    for the cynics and ignoramuses who say that there's no difference between the democrats and republicans....

    House Republican leadership and the White House said they were opposed to a Democratic coronavirus bill as its currently constructed, they told lawmakers Thursday morning.

    snip

    The legislation, as it stands now, includes provisions for free testing for coronavirus, bolstering of unemployment insurance, paid medical leave for those out of work due to the disease and additional money to ensure children continue to get subsidized lunches if schools close.

    McCarthy: Republicans to oppose Democratic coronavirus bill - POLITICO

  9. #25284
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Posts
    20,492

    Trump’s travel ban sidesteps his own European resorts

    President Donald Trump’s new European travel restrictions have a convenient side effect: They exempt nations where three Trump-owned golf resorts are located.

    Trump is already under fire for visiting his properties in both countries as president, leading to U.S. taxpayer money being spent at his own firms. The president has been saddled with lawsuits and investigations throughout his term alleging that he’s violating the Constitution’s emoluments clause by accepting taxpayer money other than his salary.

    The U.S. government proclamation initiating the ban targets 26 European countries that comprise a visa-free travel zone known as the Schengen Area.

    The United Kingdom, which is home to Trump Turnberry and Trump International Golf Links, and Ireland, which is home to another Trump-branded hotel and golf course at Doonbeg, do not participate in the Schengen Area. Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania are also not part of the Schengen Area. All three of the resorts are struggling financially.

    Ireland’s prime minister, Leo Varadkar, is scheduled to meet Trump at the White House on Thursday in one of the few events related to St. Patrick’s Day that has not been canceled due to coronavirus concerns.

    The administration’s European travel proclamation notes that “the Schengen Area has exported 201 COVID-19 cases to 53 countries. Moreover, the free flow of people between the Schengen Area countries makes the task of managing the spread of the virus difficult.”

    Trump’s European travel ban comes with several other loopholes.

    There are now 460 confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.K., including Nadine Dorries, the British government’s own health minister in charge of patient safety. Wednesday saw the biggest rise in U.K. cases in a single day, and the country’s highest-level crisis committee — known as Cobra — will meet Thursday to consider additional moves to reduce the impact of the virus.

    Though they are subject to border checks on arrival, residents of the 26 Schengen Area countries are also free to live and work in the United Kingdom, meaning they could fly to the United States from a British airport as long as they hadn't spent time within the Schengen countries in the last 14 days.

    EU leaders condemned Trump's move on Thursday, and disputed the president's criticism of Europe's handling of the crisis.

    “The Coronavirus is a global crisis, not limited to any continent and it requires cooperation rather than unilateral action,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President Charles Michel said in a joint statement.

    “The European Union disapproves of the fact that the U.S. decision to impose a travel ban was taken unilaterally and without consultation,” they said, adding that the bloc was “taking strong action to limit the spread of the virus.”

    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...resorts-126808

  10. #25285
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    29,369
    White House officials said there were no plans to test President Donald Trump for coronavirus, even though he was photographed standing next to an aide to the Brazilian president who tested positive for the virus this week.

    But many other people who met with President Jair Bolsonaro and his communications secretary, Fabio Wajngarten, who tested positive, have already announced they will be self-quarantining as a precautionary measure.


    The Miami Police Department’s entire motorcycle patrol unit is going into self-quarantine, because they were served as security for Bolsonaro, and “were in contact during photo-ops or might have shaken hands,” Miami’s police chief told the Miami Herald.
    The mayor of Miami, and the mayor of nearby Miami-Dade County, are also isolating themselves after the visit, the Miami Herald reported.
    So are two Republican senators and Trump allies: Florida Sen. Rick Scott, and South Carolina Sen. Lindsay Graham.
    Trump is going to get it if he doesn't wake up.
    Trump has 'no plans' for coronavirus test despite contact with infected Bolsonaro aide – as it happened | US news | The Guardian

  11. #25286
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    29,369
    Trump’s coronavirus ban on travel from the EU is backfiring already | Jonathan Freedland | Opinion | The Guardian
    Such is the reverse Midas touch of Donald Trump, that his attempt last night to face facts, steady nerves and reassure the public succeeded in spreading panic, sowing confusion and ratcheting up the anxiety.

    The fact that Trump delivered a rare, live televised address to the nation should, by itself, have induced calm. It suggested that the president was moving out of fantasyland, abandoning the denial that had led him to promise a miracle was on the way and that the threat of coronavirus was likely to recede as soon as next month, when the weather got warmer. (As recently as Tuesday, he was saying, “It will go away, just stay calm.”) That he was ready to deploy one of the US presidency’s most powerful tools, usually reserved for moments of war or disaster – a TV address from the Oval Office – seemed to signal that he was, at last, facing reality.


    Sure enough, when he referred to the virus as a “horrible infection”, after weeks spent dismissing it as a glorified cold or flu, it fed the hope that Trump might finally be ready to acknowledge that his approach up until this moment had not worked – that this was not a problem that could be dealt with in the usual away, swatted aside with a tweet or by hanging a comic nickname around the neck of one of his enemies.


    But no sooner had that hope appeared than it faded away. For in the course of nine minutes, Trump swiftly reverted to type. He described Covid-19 as a “foreign virus”, and took pains to point out that “a large number of new clusters in the United States were seeded by travellers from Europe”. His doctrine of “America first” – a phrase he used once again – forever pits the US against the world, with its implication that America’s purity is permanently under threat of contamination by alien hordes. Trump has used that imagery in the context of immigration for more than four years; it should hardly be a surprise that he uses it now in the context of disease.


    Equally in character was his preference for the vast, sweeping edict over the detailed, calibrated policy response. What the US needs most is a serious, extensive programme of testing. Currently, the US is bottom of the global league table for coronavirus testing, at a rate of just five people in every million. (South Korea is testing 3,692 people per million.) But that kind of announcement would require too much work, not least because Trump shut down the dedicated Obama-era, White House unit that had focused on preparedness against a global pandemic. It would be too dull and plodding for the man who made his name issuing orders on The Apprentice. Trump prefers the kingly diktat that makes instant headlines and good TV. In the 2016 campaign it was his call for a “total and complete shutdown” on Muslims entering the US. This time it was a ban on travellers from 26 European countries in the Schengen area, starting on Friday. Once again, the would-be medieval monarch was ordering the drawbridge pulled up against the foreign menace.


    He surely hoped his subjects would be soothed by such a decisive show of leadership. But because this is Trump, his short speech was riddled with errors that had to be rapidly corrected – thereby spreading confusion rather than clarity. One example: he announced that his Europe ban would “apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo” across the Atlantic, prompting the White House to rush out a statement explaining that the president had got it wrong, and that the new policy would, in fact, only apply to people, not goods. If the plan was to project a White House coolly capable in the face of a crisis, that mix-up and Trump’s halting discomfort in front of the teleprompter conveyed the precise opposite.


    Above all, the new policy lacked rhyme or reason. Why keep out almost all Europeans, as if this problem is exclusive to Europe (and China), rather than global, and when the US has a rising infection problem all its own? And why exempt the UK, which is hardly coronavirus-free? There was no explanation, so speculation filled the vacuum. Could it be a politically motivated swipe at the EU, which Trump once said he regarded as the US’s greatest “foe”, pointedly giving preferential treatment to Brexit Britain? Was it driven by a motive as base as the fact that Trump has golf courses in the UK (and Ireland), and he didn’t want to harm his own businesses? Or did it spring from a crudely racist worldview that divides the globe into a clean, acceptable Anglosphere set against a tainted, diseased “abroad”?


    Whatever the explanation, the address did not work. The clearest proof came in the metric Trump understands best and that terrifies him most, because he believes it holds the key to his prospects of re-election. The headline this morning: “Stock markets tumble as Trump’s Europe travel ban shocks investors”. Truly, he is Midas in reverse.

  12. #25287
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Location
    NAKON SAWAN
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey View Post
    for the cynics and ignoramuses who say that there's no difference between the democrats and republicans....




    McCarthy: Republicans to oppose Democratic coronavirus bill - POLITICO
    The Hyde amendment.

  13. #25288
    Thailand Expat harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    66,180
    President Donald Trump-2_227-jpg

  14. #25289
    Member
    Eddie Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Online
    27-03-2020 @ 04:36 AM
    Location
    Somewhere else with friendly mods
    Posts
    182
    Trump declares national emergency over coronavirus
    The declaration allows the federal government to tap up to $50bn (£40bn) in emergency relief funds.
    Great to see Donald taking control of the problem.
    Americans should be proud of him ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

  15. #25290
    Thailand Expat TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,244

  16. #25291
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Booth View Post
    Great to see Donald taking control of the problem.
    That’s how you take control of the problem...


    'I Don’t Take Responsibility At All': Trump Passes Buck On Coronavirus Testing Mess

    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-coronavirus-national-emergency_n_5e6ba653c5b6bd8156f65d1a

  17. #25292
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    29,369
    Science...pfffft, we don't need no stinkin' science.

    What an alarmingly ignorant moron he is.
    Trump used to flirt with anti-vaxxers. Now he is demanding a coronavirus vaccine
    The Trump administration’s rhetoric will make this pandemic worse. Words are now a matter of life and death


    ‘Anthony Fauci, the longtime leader of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has been telling the president repeatedly that developing the vaccine will take at least a year and a half.’

    “Do me a favor, speed it up, speed it up.” This is what Donald Trump told the National Association of Counties Legislative Conference, recounting what he said to pharmaceutical executives about the progress toward a vaccine for severe acute respiratory syndrome–coronavirus 2 (Sars-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19). Anthony Fauci, the longtime leader of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has been telling the president repeatedly that developing the vaccine will take at least a year and a half – the same message conveyed by pharmaceutical executives. Apparently, Trump thought that simply repeating his request would change the outcome.

    China has rightfully taken criticism for squelching attempts by scientists to report information during the outbreak. Now, the United States government is doing similar things. Informing Fauci and other government scientists that they must clear all public comments with Mike Pence, the vice-president, is unacceptable. This is not a time for someone who denies evolution, the climate crisis and the dangers of smoking to shape the public message. Thank goodness Fauci, Francis Collins, the director of the US National Institutes of Health (NIH), and their colleagues across federal agencies are willing to soldier on and are gradually getting the message out.


    While scientists are trying to share facts about the epidemic, the administration either blocks those facts or restates them with contradictions. Transmission rates and death rates are not measurements that can be changed with will and an extroverted presentation. The administration has repeatedly said – as it did last week – that virus spread in the United States is contained, when it is clear from genomic evidence that community spread is occurring in Washington state and beyond. That kind of distortion and denial is dangerous and almost certainly contributed to the federal government’s sluggish response. After three years of debating whether the words of this administration matter, the words are now clearly a matter of life and death.


    And although the steps required to produce a vaccine could possibly be made more efficient, many of them depend on biological and chemical processes that are essential. So the president might just as well have said, “Do me a favor, hurry up that warp drive.”


    I don’t expect politicians to know Maxwell’s equations for electromagnetism or the Diels-Alder chemical reaction (although I can dream). But you can’t insult science when you don’t like it and then suddenly insist on something that science can’t give on demand. For the past four years, Trump’s budgets have made deep cuts to science, including cuts to funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the NIH. With this administration’s disregard for science of the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the stalled naming of a director for the Office of Science and Technology Policy – all to support political goals – the nation has had nearly four years of harming and ignoring science.




    Now, the president suddenly needs science. But the centuries spent elucidating fundamental principles that govern the natural world – evolution, gravity, quantum mechanics – involved laying the groundwork for knowing what we can and cannot do. The ways that scientists accumulate and analyze evidence, apply inductive reasoning and subject findings to scrutiny by peers have been proven over the years to give rise to robust knowledge. These processes are being applied to the Covid-19 crisis through international collaboration at breakneck, unprecedented speed; Science published two new papers earlier this month on Sars-CoV-2, and more are on the way. But the same concepts that are used to describe nature are used to create new tools. So, asking for a vaccine and distorting the science at the same time are shockingly dissonant.


    A vaccine has to have a fundamental scientific basis. It has to be manufacturable. It has to be safe. This could take a year and a half – or much longer. Pharmaceutical executives have every incentive to get there quickly – they will be selling the vaccine after all – but thankfully, they also know that you can’t break the laws of nature to get there.


    Maybe we should be happy. Earlier in his administration, the president declared his skepticism of vaccines and tried to launch an anti-vaccine task force. Now he suddenly loves vaccines.


    But do us a favor, Mr President. If you want something, start treating science and its principles with respect.

    Trump used to flirt with anti-vaxxers. Now he is demanding a coronavirus vaccine | H Holden Thorp | US news | The Guardian
    Last edited by Cujo; 14-03-2020 at 09:43 AM.

  18. #25293
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,439
    Trump has golf courses in the UK and hotels in Eastern Europe in countries which are not in the EU, so no surprise that he has closed the US down to...visitors from the EU.

    It looks like a mistaken move, as his own hotels are a clear and present danger...

    Second person to visit Mar-a-Lago tests positive for coronavirusThe Washington Post has reported that second person who visited President Trump’s private Mar-a-Lago estate last weekend has tested positive for coronavirus, according to emails from Republican party officials to other guests who were present.


    That’s the second person in as many days who’s had coronavirus and been near the president. A Brazilian official who met Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago last weekend also tested positive for coronavirus.


    The unfolding health crisis appears to be edging closer to Trump, a widely reported germaphobe.

  19. #25294
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    36,922
    ‘I Don’t Take Responsibility at All’


    Trump: ‘I Don’t Take Responsibility at All’ - The Atlantic



    January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”


    February 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”


    February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”


    February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”


    February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”


    February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”


    February 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”


    February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”


    February 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”


    March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”


    March 2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”


    March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”


    March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”


    March 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”


    March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”


    March 6: Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”


    March 6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”


    March 6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”


    March 7: “We’ll hold tremendous rallies...I’m not concerned at all.”


    March 8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on coronavirus.”


    March 9: “This blindsided the world.”


    March 10: "Our CoronaVirus Team has been doing a great job. Even Democrat governors have been VERY complimentary!"


    March 11: "I am fully prepared to use the full power of the Federal Government to deal with our current challenge of the CoronaVirus!"


    March 12: "108 countries are dealing with the CoronaVirus problem, some of which we are helping!"


    March 13: "To this point, and because we have had a very strong border policy, we have had 40 deaths related to CoronaVirus. If we had weak or open borders, that number would be many times higher!"


    March 13: "Today I am declaring a national emergency. Two very big words."


    March 13. "No, I don't take responsibility at all. Because we were given a set of circumstances, given rules, regulations, and specifications from a different time. It wasn't meant for this kind of an event, with the kind of numbers that we are talking about."
    The funny thing is that a lot of his supporters, old dudes, are most at risk from COVID-19.

    However the tragedy is that it will effect real people too, not just Trumptards, and the lies and incompetence from this bumbling oaf and conman could well literally kill people.


  20. #25295
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    29,369
    He fingered the microphone and put his lips up close. He shook hands with everyone he could. Donald Trump, who promised you’re going to win so much you’ll get sick of winning, might also just make you sick.


    In the White House rose garden on Friday, the US president defied the advice of medical experts standing behind him and behaved like a one-man coronavirus cannon.


    Trump declared a national emergency (“two very big words”, said the man known for his misspelled tweets) that would release up to $50bn to combat the pandemic, which this week topped 2,000 cases and had the lamps going out all over America.


    Reporters wanted to know whether this 73-year-old man with a poor diet – his former doctor reportedly hid cauliflower in his mashed potatoes – is putting himself and others at risk. Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro’s press secretary tested positive for coronavirus days after taking part in meetings with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.


    Should Trump therefore self-isolate? “Well, I don’t know that I had exposure, but I don’t have any of the symptoms,” he replied. “And we do have a White House doctor and, I should say, many White House doctors, frankly. And I asked them that same question, and they said, ‘You don’t have any symptoms whatsoever.’ And we don’t want people without symptoms to go and do the test. The test is not insignificant.”


    But later another reporter pushed him harder, noting that a person without symptoms might still be infected. Question: “Are you being selfish by not getting tested and potentially exposing – ”

    Trump: “Well, I didn’t say I wasn’t going to be tested.”

    Question: “Are you going to be?”

    Trump: “Most likely, yeah. Most likely.”

    Question: “When do you think that will happen?”

    Trump: “Not for that reason, but because I think I will do it anyway. Fairly soon.”

    Coronavirus is a crisis of a different magnitude from those faced by Trump before. It has upended daily life and left liberals cursing the cosmic dice: how come Tom Hanks is infected while Trump gets off scot-free?

    When the celebrity businessman has his back to the wall, he calls for the cavalry of corporate America. At Friday’s press conference he rolled in business titans to save the day, treating them to plenty of handshakes and little social distancing.

    “You’re going to be hearing from some of the largest companies and greatest retailers and medical companies in the world,” he said, presumably hoping to reassure the stock market. “They’re standing right behind me and to the side of me ... they’re celebrities in their own right.”

    Trump announced that “drive-thru” testing centers would be set up in parking lots at CVS, Target, Walmart and Walgreens stores.

    This, he hopes, will resolve a spectacularly awful time lag in testing kits being made available. America has been put to shame by South Korea.

    Trump seems eager to wash his hands of the matter, if not actually wash his hands
    The wartime president Harry Truman used to keep a sign on his desk that said: “The buck stops here.” Trump, however, seems eager to wash his hands of the matter, if not actually wash his hands. “Yeah, no, I don’t take responsibility at all, because we were given a set of circumstances and we were given rules, regulations, and specifications from a different time,” he said. “It wasn’t meant for this kind of an event with the kind of numbers that we’re talking about.”


    Then Yamiche Alcindor of PBS asked why, in 2018, Trump had dissolved the White House’s National Security Council directorate for global health security and biodefense.


    Like a schoolboy caught red-handed, he blustered: “Well, I just think it’s a nasty question because what we’ve done is – and Tony has said numerous times that we’ve saved thousands of lives because of the quick closing. And when you say ‘me’, I didn’t do it. We have a group of people I could – ”


    Alcindor followed up. Trump rambled: “It’s the – it’s the administration. Perhaps they do that. You know, people let people go. You used to be with a different newspaper than you are now. You know, things like that happen.”


    It is not the first time he has resorted to the word “nasty” when asked a tough question by a woman of colour.


    The buck stops here.

    'I don't take responsibility': Trump shakes hands and spreads blame over coronavirus | US news | The Guardian
    "In my professional assessment as an intelligence officer, Trump has a reflexive, defensive, monumentally narcissistic personality, for whom the facts and national interest are irrelevant, and the only thing that counts is whatever gives personal advantage and directs attention to himself."

  21. #25296
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Posts
    6,953
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Trump has golf courses in the UK and hotels in Eastern Europe in countries which are not in the EU, so no surprise that he has closed the US down to...visitors from the EU.

    It looks like a mistaken move, as his own hotels are a clear and present danger...
    Who is so naive enough that such a decision can be made solely by the POTUS - whoever currently it is - without all the good guys behind him?

  22. #25297

  23. #25298
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,083
    "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."- FDR


    "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."- JFK


    "I don't take responsibility at all."- Trump

  24. #25299
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    21,871
    ^ You forgot 'The buck stops here"

  25. #25300
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,083
    there's a tweet for everything....

    President Donald Trump-screenshot-2020-03-14-4-13-a

Page 1012 of 1059 FirstFirst ... 125129129621002100410051006100710081009101010111012101310141015101610171018101910201022 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •