Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3840414243444546474849505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1363
  1. #1176
    Thailand Expat
    Bonecollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,234
    ^^ nice! go and try that Chicken and Rice place, its really good.

    Have you been to the new section of Benchakitti Park at night yet?

    Also, great pizza place.

  2. #1177
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    13,583
    Thanks BC. I don't stay on Wireless road, just always walk down it for nostalgic reason. I lived at the Plaza Athenee hotel for a year while I was working here. Then another 2 years at Grande Centre point across the street. Funny to go back and think about living in a hotel room. Was fun times and enjoyed a lot of wedding events there.

    When I am here I usually enjoy good Sushi or other Japanese food. Not too much into pizza. I have my circle of restaurants I visit when here. I also stop by the Athenee's bar. They have the best Bourbon/ Whiskey selection and only place that makes an excellent "Old Fashion"

  3. #1178
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,410
    Well done Stumpy.

    God forbid you should ever have to endure the disappointment, the pain and the mental trauma of being presented with anything less than an excellent "old fashioned"

  4. #1179
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    God forbid you should ever have to endure the disappointment, the pain and the mental trauma of being presented with anything less than an excellent "old fashioned"
    Damn right Tax. To find a place that can make a good one is a challenge here unless you want a Blend 285 or Johnny Walker cocktail. Some of us do have standards on certain things.

  5. #1180
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    13,583
    Didn't want to do a BKK thread but thought i'd post a few random pics. Wife and I had a really nice day walking around. Weather is still really nice. Was quite relaxing. Her Lasix procedure was a success and she loves it.









    Tomorrow off to Sattahip.

  6. #1181
    Thailand Expat
    BLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Location
    Perh/laos
    Posts
    3,228
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    Well done Stumpy.

    God forbid you should ever have to endure the disappointment, the pain and the mental trauma of being presented with anything less than an excellent "old fashioned"
    Still a bit butthurt that a lot of posters are living the dream ? Mr negative kunt. God forbid that you should have to pay to heat your bedsit in blighty

  7. #1182
    Thailand Expat
    BLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Location
    Perh/laos
    Posts
    3,228
    I've gotta say the choice of beer in Thailand has changed for the better over the years. There's some bloody good ones. I suspect they have there work cut out dealing with the monopoly of boon rawd brewery who certainly don't want competition for there shit products

  8. #1183
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by BLD View Post
    I've gotta say the choice of beer in Thailand has changed for the better over the years. There's some bloody good ones. I suspect they have there work cut out dealing with the monopoly of boon rawd brewery who certainly don't want competition for there shit products
    They have BLD. The big 3 don't seem to worried as the premium craft style beers are 2 to 3x the price compared to the Leo, Chang, Singha goat piss. Most Thai folk won't buy it. They prefer the 3 on ice with Ya Dong and Lao khao.

  9. #1184
    Thailand Expat
    Bonecollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Thanks BC. I don't stay on Wireless road, just always walk down it for nostalgic reason. I lived at the Plaza Athenee hotel for a year while I was working here. Then another 2 years at Grande Centre point across the street. Funny to go back and think about living in a hotel room. Was fun times and enjoyed a lot of wedding events there.

    When I am here I usually enjoy good Sushi or other Japanese food. Not too much into pizza. I have my circle of restaurants I visit when here. I also stop by the Athenee's bar. They have the best Bourbon/ Whiskey selection and only place that makes an excellent "Old Fashion"
    Nice! I really enjoyed my time living and working around there too. An Old Fashion is a must have on any SEA excursion, I'm as happy as a sand boy when they make it with a sphere ice cube in a weighted glass.

    Next time you are in Bangkok, definitely try and make it out to Phutthamonthon Park for a sunset walk. They do killer coconut smoothies there as well. You can get an old Hitachi commuter train from Thonburi station to Salaya station and then a taxi. It is worth it if you have never been there.
    One should listen twice as much as one speaks

  10. #1185
    Thailand Expat
    Bonecollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by BLD View Post
    I've gotta say the choice of beer in Thailand has changed for the better over the years. There's some bloody good ones. I suspect they have there work cut out dealing with the monopoly of boon rawd brewery who certainly don't want competition for there shit products
    Even tinnies in Tops usually have a great choice. My local always stocked all Beer Laos, Kirin, Stella, 333, Sapporo, Biere Larue, just to name a few. Not a fan of craft beers, something about the taste and gimmicky marketing that doesn't sit right with me.

  11. #1186
    Thailand Expat
    BLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Location
    Perh/laos
    Posts
    3,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    They have BLD. The big 3 don't seem to worried as the premium craft style beers are 2 to 3x the price compared to the Leo, Chang, Singha goat piss. Most Thai folk won't buy it. They prefer the 3 on ice with Ya Dong and Lao khao.
    Same deal.in Australia, plenty of great craft beers but you can't drink.them.all the time? At least not in the quantities I like to neck so mostly I buy mainstream beer which is also not cheap. Fuck nose what's going on in this country. But I'm glad I gave up cigarettes when I moved back here. Drinking AND smoking would of sent me broke, chainsaws are cheap though and no need to pay to heat the house. but it's been hot so the air-conditioning been going 24/7

  12. #1187
    Thailand Expat
    BLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Location
    Perh/laos
    Posts
    3,228
    If your in a reasonable sized town or Bangkok you can drink whatever you want. If I find myself in the Province in Thailand if there's a San MIG light or a beer lao I'm happy..can even accept Leo. But not that Chang or singha shite

  13. #1188
    Thailand Expat
    Bonecollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,234
    ^There is something about those Beer Lao bottles, best in the world.

  14. #1189
    Thailand Expat DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    the Leo, Chang, Singha goat piss. Most Thai folk won't buy it. They prefer the 3 on ice with Ya Dong and Lao khao.
    The sort of crew that would refuse to pay for an Old Fashioned also, unless it was made with Sam Song.

  15. #1190
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by BLD View Post
    beer lao I'm happy
    I have to say BLD, BeerLao is a really good beer and not much more then LEO and the others. Small bottles, right out of the fridge. PERFECT!!. All offerings are quite good, Dark, Lager and IPA. No need for ice to dilute it like most do with the Thai big 3. Most of the Thai Craft beers made by the big 3 aren't very good either. I have tried quite a few. It seems like they took the LEO recipe and added things and has that awful Leo stench. The only brewer that seems to have their shit together is Fullmoon in Phuket

  16. #1191
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWilly View Post
    The sort of crew that would refuse to pay for an Old Fashioned also, unless it was made with Sam Song.
    Yep and they would use a Swensens Bing Cherry rather than a nice Maraschino Cherry. Can't pass up a good Manhattan as well.

  17. #1192
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    I really enjoyed my time living and working around there too
    When I landed here for work back in 2005 full time, BKK was a very different place. Now fast forward, I always like to go back to where I started to see the changes. The Wireless road area hasn't changed much at all except the trees have grown bigger. That's primarily due to all the various embassies along it. The US Embassy always looks the same. But around that area it has changed dramatically. Just like any big metro anywhere in the world. Its fun to go back. I send pics to some of my long time colleague friends that came with me back then so they can see. Most have not been back since the first big offshore operations transition as they moved on to different companies.

  18. #1193
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    33,792
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWilly View Post
    The sort of crew that would refuse to pay for an Old Fashioned also, unless it was made with Sam Song.
    Fancy a maraschino with all that r slicking?


  19. #1194
    Thailand Expat DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,600
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Fancy a maraschino with all that r slicking?


    Oh boy, green eyes again. There’s certainly no arse licking, ya silly twat.

  20. #1195
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,410
    Teabagging is more the monkeys cup of tea.

  21. #1196
    Member
    moose65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:26 PM
    Location
    by the seaside.
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Damn right Tax. To find a place that can make a good one is a challenge here unless you want a Blend 285 or Johnny Walker cocktail. Some of us do have standards on certain things.
    Stumpy, there is a very quiet establishment known as "Asia Today", It is just around the corner from "Teens of Thailand"
    Its in Pom Prap, Bangkok
    it's well worth the visit is a bourbon Bar whilst Teens is a gin joint.
    The do very very good drinks that a man of your obvious culture and breeding would certainly appreciate.
    If you venture in i certainly recommend the " Tigers Ear" just go easy they are very moorish and potent to boot.

  22. #1197
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by moose65 View Post
    Stumpy, there is a very quiet establishment known as "Asia Today", It is just around the corner from "Teens of Thailand"
    Its in Pom Prap, Bangkok
    it's well worth the visit is a bourbon Bar whilst Teens is a gin joint.
    The do very very good drinks that a man of your obvious culture and breeding would certainly appreciate.
    If you venture in i certainly recommend the " Tigers Ear" just go easy they are very moorish and potent to boot.
    Thanks Moose. I will do just that. After my factory visit in Chonburi, I am heading back to BKK for 3 days. Meeting up with a few US colleagues.

    Will update if I get to trek there.

  23. #1198
    Thailand Expat
    Bonecollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    When I landed here for work back in 2005 full time, BKK was a very different place. Now fast forward, I always like to go back to where I started to see the changes. The Wireless road area hasn't changed much at all except the trees have grown bigger. That's primarily due to all the various embassies along it. The US Embassy always looks the same. But around that area it has changed dramatically. Just like any big metro anywhere in the world. Its fun to go back. I send pics to some of my long time colleague friends that came with me back then so they can see. Most have not been back since the first big offshore operations transition as they moved on to different companies.
    Yup, it is pretty amazing how everything has changed. You probably walked past me and one of my shops in MBK back then! I lived in various condos a long Phetchburi Road and the food down those soi's was epic.

  24. #1199
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 AM
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    34,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    I have to say BLD, BeerLao is a really good beer and not much more then LEO and the others
    Far cheaper if you have a friend ferry several cases across the Mekong from Savannakhet.

  25. #1200
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Far cheaper if you have a friend ferry several cases across the Mekong from Savannakhet.
    Even better Norts. Do you fancy all 3 brews or just the Lager. I prefer the dark lager then the IPA.

Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3840414243444546474849505152535455 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •