Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41
  1. #26
    Thailand Expat
    Ratchaburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Location
    Ratchaburi
    Posts
    5,227
    year ago they called it a ELK test, how it has a new name the Moose test 555
    So in Sweden they drive on the right hand of the road the Moose test show you should turn sharp left into on coming tragic before you turn right to go back in to your lane before a lorry hits you head on.

    I think if a moose jumped out in front of my truck, I would have to make a very quick decision take out the Moose or the lorry.
    I know I will take a chance with the moose.

    One night in Australia I was coming back from a mine site,at 110 kph looked down to change the radio Chanel for 1 second, look up there were 2 sheep head to tail.
    At that time do I take the sheep out or go around them, going around was no a option as they was a Roadtrain on the right side.
    As I hit the 2 sheep they broke, the head lights on my truck the landed a few metres in of the truck I could not stop, as I hit them a sencond time they went under my truck it was like hitting a speed hump at 110kph no lights & a roadtrain roaring past .
    I was 300 kilometre from no were.
    Last edited by Ratchaburi; 28-10-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: True story

  2. #27
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,943
    I know two separate motorists who where driving in the U.K. And a fox ran out in front of them, they swerved their cars to avoid Fox and then the car rolled multiple times.
    Don't swerve for a fox.

  3. #28
    Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    slackula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Posts
    9,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratchaburi
    I have been driving Hilux in Thailand for 10 year & have not been able to get it up on 2 wheels.
    Take it back and ask for a refund then!

  4. #29
    Thailand Expat
    Ratchaburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Location
    Ratchaburi
    Posts
    5,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Jones View Post
    I am that moron!
    I would not call you a moron JJ, but will accept your honesty.

  5. #30
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    05-09-2020 @ 11:29 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,661
    The Swedes also din't like the:
    Porsche Macan
    Jeep Cheroke
    Mercedes C350

    Maybe there are others?

  6. #31
    Thailand Expat Jesus Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    Posts
    6,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratchaburi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Jones View Post
    I am that moron!
    I would not call you a moron JJ, but will accept your honesty.
    I didn't write the review. But my experience of driving a Hilux is comparative to a wet sponge. Can't fault build or reliablity.

    But neither am I getting involved with a "my daddy is tougher than yours".

    I get it, you own one. My Versys was the best bike on the planet. My Africa Twin will, no doubt, supersede it. Those that say it isn't the best on road, are wrong. Period!
    You bullied, you laughed, you lied, you lost!

  7. #32
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:29 PM
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    9,623
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal View Post
    The Swedes also din't like the:
    Porsche Macan
    Jeep Cheroke
    Mercedes C350

    Maybe there are others?
    TV is a motor magazine which has tested thousands of cars over 40+ years so its not a surprise that there is a list of cars not passing the evasive manoeuvre test.
    What is special with Toyota is that they have not improved their Hilux chassis since they first failed the test in 2007.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_test
    May the bridges I burn light my way

    There is no plan for no deal because we're going to get a great deal - Boris Johnson in HoC 11 July 2017

  8. #33
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    05-09-2020 @ 11:29 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Jones
    My Africa Twin will, no doubt, supersede it. Those that say it isn't the best on road, are wrong. Period!
    Many years ago went to a motorbike rally. There was a 125km around the lake ride as part of the rally. Local yahoo's on there 600 Kawas couldn't stay with a guy on a BMW GS repleted with panniers an knobbly tires. Nothing wrong with dual-purpose bikes.
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

  9. #34
    Thailand Expat
    Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,060
    Can't see my 1982 Toyota 4wd Diesel ute passing that test.

  10. #35
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    05-09-2020 @ 11:29 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Can't see my 1982 Toyota 4wd Diesel ute passing that test.
    Can't get up to 42 mph?

  11. #36
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Posts
    5,563
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    I know two separate motorists who where driving in the U.K. And a fox ran out in front of them, they swerved their cars to avoid Fox and then the car rolled multiple times.
    Don't swerve for a fox.
    Golden rule when driving in Aus. particularly when out bush,

    "don't swerve for anything".

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat Jesus Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    Posts
    6,952
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Jones
    My Africa Twin will, no doubt, supersede it. Those that say it isn't the best on road, are wrong. Period!
    Many years ago went to a motorbike rally. There was a 125km around the lake ride as part of the rally. Local yahoo's on there 600 Kawas couldn't stay with a guy on a BMW GS repleted with panniers an knobbly tires. Nothing wrong with dual-purpose bikes.
    That was like the folks on the 250s falling of their bikes up Khao Krajom, while I blasted to the top on my modded 650 Versys. It's about the rider. Fuck those Hilux testers!

  13. #38
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    17-07-2020 @ 04:34 PM
    Posts
    290
    My experience: I've had two Hiluxes, and various other4x4's. I've encountered only One Bull Moose in Alaska, but I was on my mountain bike. First thought, 'they look smaller on TV', then a rapid 180.... for fellow Australians think camel sized with BIG horns. These things are powerful: they can swim at nearly 10kph!!
    Just like Camels and Buffalo in the outback: Swerving to avoid may be the lesser of two evils. In a Hilux, I wouldn't expect its 'reliability', off road prowess and wheel articulation to help at that moment.
    Here's what the Canadian Authorities 'suggest':
    If you have to choose between swerving or striking a moose, consider swerving. A collision with a moose, which can weigh up to 500 kgs (1200 lbs), carries a significant risk of injury or death to motorists and passengers. If a crash with a moose is inevitable, crouch as low as possible in your seat, or under the dash, as a moose's body usually ends up crushing the roof of a car completely flat.

  14. #39
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    17-07-2020 @ 04:34 PM
    Posts
    290
    The 86 does better

  15. #40
    Thailand Expat
    can123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    22-06-2020 @ 12:04 AM
    Posts
    5,407
    We do not see a lot of moose or camels in South Wales but it is best to be prepared for every eventuality and I thank you for your advice.

  16. #41
    Thailand Expat
    Ratchaburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Location
    Ratchaburi
    Posts
    5,227
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfish View Post
    My experience: I've had two Hiluxes, and various other4x4's. I've encountered only One Bull Moose in Alaska, but I was on my mountain bike. First thought, 'they look smaller on TV', then a rapid 180.... for fellow Australians think camel sized with BIG horns. These things are powerful: they can swim at nearly 10kph!!
    Just like Camels and Buffalo in the outback: Swerving to avoid may be the lesser of two evils. In a Hilux, I wouldn't expect its 'reliability', off road prowess and wheel articulation to help at that moment.
    Here's what the Canadian Authorities 'suggest':
    If you have to choose between swerving or striking a moose, consider swerving. A collision with a moose, which can weigh up to 500 kgs (1200 lbs), carries a significant risk of injury or death to motorists and passengers. If a crash with a moose is inevitable, crouch as low as possible in your seat, or under the dash, as a moose's body usually ends up crushing the roof of a car completely flat.
    When in the Australian outback, before considering swerving around a camel just check there not a fvcking big roadtrain on the anther side of the road 555

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •