Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    454

    Five years on MH370 Pretty good read.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...rlines/590653/

    Maybe the title should be "asleep at the Wheel".

  2. #2
    Member TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    929
    The important answers probably don’t lie in the ocean but on land, in Malaysia. That should be the focus moving forward. Unless they are as incompetent as the air force and air traffic control, the Malaysian police know more than they have dared to say. The riddle may not be deep. That is the frustration here. The answers may well lie close at hand, but they are more difficult to retrieve than any black box. If Blaine Gibson wants a real adventure, he might spend a year poking around Kuala Lumpur

  3. #3
    Can I still change this?
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Posts
    4,674
    ^A little bit cryptic there.

    Can sort of read between the lines, but do you have a theory you want to share?

  4. #4
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    24,902
    Good enough read, I think Harry posted similar around a year ago.

    the most interesting/educational part is learning about how they all likely died. Good to know that it was a gentle, but rather rapid slip in unconsciousness, then death, like peacefully falling asleep.




    Presumably Malaysia doesn't want a pilot of their national carrier to be listed as one of the world's biggest mass-murderers, with a rather impressive bodycount of 239.

  5. #5
    Can I still change this?
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Posts
    4,674
    ^^^

    I didn't realise that KW's post was a full paragraph quote from the conclusion of the article until I read the whole thing.

  6. #6
    Member TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    929
    Yeah, my apologies. I thought it was a rather weird final paragraph.

    The article was good, objective, clear and logical and then suddenly the author spews out that. I guess he is insinuating that the police know that the pilot did it and are covering.

  7. #7
    Can I still change this?
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Posts
    4,674
    ^ Yeah, I thought it was your own personal opinion until I waded through that 4,000 word article and came to the end.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,093
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    Yeah, my apologies. I thought it was a rather weird final paragraph.

    The article was good, objective, clear and logical and then suddenly the author spews out that. I guess he is insinuating that the police know that the pilot did it and are covering.
    I thought while remaining objective he managed to make it clear early on that Malaysian authorities are no more to be trusted than those of any other cuntry in the region.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    18,223
    Quote Originally Posted by jabir View Post
    Malaysian authorities are no more to be trusted than those of any other cuntry in the world
    FIFY.

  10. #10
    Member TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by jabir View Post
    I thought while remaining objective he managed to make it clear early on that Malaysian authorities are no more to be trusted than those of any other cuntry in the region.
    Inept, and scared of making themselves, their bosses or their country look bad. But that final paragraph appears to be insinuating something more systematic and capable of giving closure, which I doubt it could. The smoking gun is clearly pointing at the senior pilot, I think many already understand and accept this, but then what?

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Posts
    17,590
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    The smoking gun is clearly pointing at the senior pilot
    Umm, holding it rather than have it pointing at him.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    Good enough read, I think Harry posted similar around a year ago.
    it was me. back in june.

    https://teakdoor.com/speakers-corner/...ml#post3961016

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,093
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    Inept, and scared of making themselves, their bosses or their country look bad. But that final paragraph appears to be insinuating something more systematic and capable of giving closure, which I doubt it could. The smoking gun is clearly pointing at the senior pilot, I think many already understand and accept this, but then what?
    The Thai way is to accept even if they know it's a lie, and Thailand's close enough to infect Malaysia. Much the same image saving graces would have followed if the plane was from any other neighbouring country.

  14. #14
    Member TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Umm, holding it rather than have it pointing at him.
    Oops. Thanks for the correction.

  15. #15
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:08 AM
    Posts
    28,682
    I have often sat in the departure hall and watched the flight crew board the plane and wondered how they handle the almost daily pressure of responsibility for hundreds of lives.

    I suppose the same can be said for other commercial passenger vehicle captains such as bus drivers, naval captains and others but when they make errors on planes the end result is quite catastrophic.I wonder how often they are mentally assessed by their employers.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,093
    https://www.airspacemag.com/need-to-...lth-167046164/

    7 years on so things may have changed considering the ease with which key personnel can make catastrophic decisions, or sabotage a flight.

    While tech can deal with much of the decisions, I'd guess a pilot bent on taking a dive could manage to get through most routine assessments. And it may be worth assessing the competence of assessors in some countries.

  17. #17
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    24,902
    Imagine that in this day and age it's pretty foking difficult to accidentally crash a plane all by yourself (without their being a mechanical fault.)

  18. #18
    Member TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    929
    there

  19. #19
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    24,902
    Collect.




    Hope I didn't bring down a Boeing.

  20. #20
    Member TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    929
    ha ha.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •