Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Where to Live

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Last Online
    17-09-2020 @ 05:13 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1

    Where to Live

    I am considering places I want to retire to and Thailand is in my top 3.

    I do not want to live in a major city, and I do want to live near the Ocean, not necessarily on the beach, but within reasonable distance.

    Does anyone know of any small villages or hamlets where an expat might live . I will only have a $3,100.00 per month income.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien.
    Posts
    1,327
    Jomtien.


    Or down the road a bit to Bang Saray, or a bit more to Sattahip.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,976
    ...what are the other two?...

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien.
    Posts
    1,327
    Vietnam or Bournemouth.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,976
    ...I guess Hemel Hempstead is in 4th place then...

  6. #6
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Daihuy View Post
    I am considering places I want to retire to and Thailand is in my top 3.

    I do not want to live in a major city, and I do want to live near the Ocean, not necessarily on the beach, but within reasonable distance.

    Does anyone know of any small villages or hamlets where an expat might live . I will only have a $3,100.00 per month income.

    Thanks for any help.
    Thats about 95,000 baht. That (currently) is quite ok. Being within reasonable distance of a beach puts you on the pattaya side from chonburi down to Trat, while on the other side it is from petchaburi to nakhon si thammarat. A lot of territory. Basically, the further you get from wester ammenities the cheaper it will be.

  7. #7
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    31,248
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Basically, the further you get from wester ammenities the cheaper it will be.
    Yep, Nice beach here in Roi Et. Cheap as chips.

    Where to Live-phalanchai-lake-jpg

  8. #8
    Member elche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Posts
    616
    You could live very comfortably in Portugal and visit these 2nd and 3rd world shit holes at your leisure.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    33,241
    ^ Is it easy for Americans to retire in Portugal?

  10. #10
    Head Skivvie Stacker Storekeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PACNORWEST
    Posts
    11,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Daihuy View Post
    I am considering places I want to retire to and Thailand is in my top 3.

    I do not want to live in a major city, and I do want to live near the Ocean, not necessarily on the beach, but within reasonable distance.

    Does anyone know of any small villages or hamlets where an expat might live . I will only have a $3,100.00 per month income.

    Thanks for any help.
    I've been researching the Huan Hin/Cha'am side and keep seeing Prachuap Khiri Khan pop on various youtube vids.

    I used to live in Ban Phe, Rayong ... that might be to your liking. Prachuap Khiri Khan kinds sounds like the same sorta place.

  11. #11
    Alpha Monger
    Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Daihuy View Post
    I am considering places I want to retire to and Thailand is in my top 3.

    I do not want to live in a major city, and I do want to live near the Ocean, not necessarily on the beach, but within reasonable distance.

    Does anyone know of any small villages or hamlets where an expat might live . I will only have a $3,100.00 per month income.

    Thanks for any help.

    $3100 is lots

    The only liveable place IMO is Phuket, but not in the tourist enclaves of Patong, Kata, Kamala etc which suffer from the same overpricing issues as Samui. Phuket Town, a piece of history associated with the Malacca Straits settlements, ethnically diverse, stunning Sino-Portuguese colonial buildings, nicely developed due to trillions of tourist baht heading into the island over the past 30 years, perfectly sized with 80,000 people, lively Thai-themed nightlife, several cool night markets, and some of the world's best beaches a few minutes drive away.

  12. #12
    Alpha Monger
    Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by elche View Post
    You could live very comfortably in Portugal and visit these 2nd and 3rd world shit holes at your leisure.
    Bad idea. The airfare would kill you.

  13. #13
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:31 PM
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    31,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper View Post
    Cha'am
    Had a small house many years back on beach road. Very quiet but nice if you like quiet. Cha'am is a middle class Thai weekend get away. Have to go to Hua Hin for western stuff. Beach sucks in Cha Am.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    33,241
    ^^Hope you saw the thread which says the Thai government is considering residency for condo buyers.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    25-10-2020 @ 03:08 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    5,892
    Choose another Asian country,Thailand's a shit hole now and a rip off.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Posts
    4,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper View Post
    I've been researching the Huan Hin/Cha'am side and keep seeing Prachuap Khiri Khan pop on various youtube vids.

    I used to live in Ban Phe, Rayong ... that might be to your liking. Prachuap Khiri Khan kinds sounds like the same sorta place.
    Yeah, that stretch from Rayong has towns and villages all the way down to the border with Cambodia. My personal favourite is Trat and you also have the beaches and western amenities of Koh Chang only a stone's throw away. Cheap as chips too.

  17. #17
    Isle of Discombobulation
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,794
    Agree with the above about Trat and Koh Chang.


    My top three would be...

    1, Rhyll
    2,Bournemouth
    3,Arieta

  18. #18
    Alpha Monger
    Backspin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Choose another Asian country,Thailand's a shit hole now and a rip off.
    IMO other places just dont cut it. Im stuck with Thailand

  19. #19
    The Fool on the Hill bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    นนทบุรี
    Posts
    5,840
    Daihuy:

    There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of towns, communities, municipalities, running up and down the east and west seaboard of the gulf of Thailand that will satisfy you.

    With $3k a month you are adequately funded.

    Spend a year traveling along the seaboard and sample - you will find places that suit you. Choose carefully, pay attention to pollution, medical services, and foreigner population for conversation. Not speaking the local language can cause problems. Most minor, but, in some cases expats have bailed.

    Living here is a very different experience from vacationing here.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien.
    Posts
    1,327
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    ^^Hope you saw the thread which says the Thai government is considering residency for condo buyers.
    Oh really, hadn't seen that. That would be pretty cool.


    I also imagine it would pretty exclusive. Taking in all the Russian and Chinese have bought condos over the last 10 years, as well as us Westerners, I can't imagine them handing out residency to 500,000 foreigners because we bought a condo or two.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,561
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    Yeah, that stretch from Rayong has towns and villages all the way down to the border with Cambodia. My personal favourite is Trat and you also have the beaches and western amenities of Koh Chang only a stone's throw away. Cheap as chips too.
    I was thinking round there as well, even Chanthaburi.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Location
    nakhon ratchasima
    Posts
    1,701
    [QUOTE=Daihuy;4161221]I am considering places I want to retire to and Thailand is in my top 3.

    I do not want to live in a major city, and I do want to live near the Ocean, not necessarily on the beach, but within reasonable distance.

    Does anyone know of any small villages or hamlets where an expat might live . I will only have a $3,100.00 per month income.
    finding a decent place to live with your pension.should be easyif you keep your wits about you,but you ommitted live with who?because thailand can come with more baggage than 100k.bht.a month will allow.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    The only liveable place IMO is Phuket, but not in the tourist enclaves of Patong, Kata, Kamala etc which suffer from the same overpricing issues as Samui. Phuket Town, a piece of history associated with the Malacca Straits settlements, ethnically diverse, stunning Sino-Portuguese colonial buildings, nicely developed due to trillions of tourist baht heading into the island over the past 30 years, perfectly sized with 80,000 people, lively Thai-themed nightlife, several cool night markets, and some of the world's best beaches a few minutes drive away.
    Written by smeg on the other channel. Hey Skidmark shut the fook up. You dont have clue. Jesus H Christ..

    Sorry OP you will find a nice place but do not listen to a word this guy says. He is simply a sex tourist to Thailand who has not been here in 8 years.

  24. #24
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
    Oh really, hadn't seen that. That would be pretty cool.


    I also imagine it would pretty exclusive. Taking in all the Russian and Chinese have bought condos over the last 10 years, as well as us Westerners, I can't imagine them handing out residency to 500,000 foreigners because we bought a condo or two.

    Nor I.
    More than likely designed and promoted towards a highly selected of this class.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •