Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 181
  1. #51
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 04:05 PM
    Posts
    26,669
    Ya not helping yaself much mate. Just saying.

  2. #52
    Thailand Expat
    Headworx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    4,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Y... was 136kg when I had a stroke back in 2016.
    Christ on a bike!. 136kg - which I assume you didn't reach by eating lean proteins and salads - and 2 packs of tabs a day??!. You wouldn't have wanted to buying un-ripe fruit at that time . Good to hear you've turned the tide though..

  3. #53
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Headworx View Post
    Christ on a bike!. 136kg - which I assume you didn't reach by eating lean proteins and salads - and 2 packs of tabs a day??!. You wouldn't have wanted to buying un-ripe fruit at that time . Good to hear you've turned the tide though..
    I dont eat fruit, hate the shit.

  4. #54
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,429
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    Ya not helping yaself much mate. Just saying.
    So should neck meself now then and get it over and done with?

  5. #55
    The Fool on the Hill bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    นนทบุรี
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Would also like to get rid of a few more KG but that too is a work in progress but am down to 92kg at the moment... was 136kg when I had a stroke back in 2016.
    136 to 92 kg in three years. That's perseverance and an accomplishment. Congratulations. Impressive.



    Cigarettes are truly a royal pain in the ass to kick. Good luck with it.

  6. #56
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    02-07-2020 @ 12:04 AM
    Posts
    14,551
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    You utter moron Reagan would have got rid of those programs if he could have and he would have never created either. Lyndon B Johnson signed them into law in 1965. Stop pretending that you know something about the US.
    you weren't born then, and I lived in the US back then, you pothead moron. Medicare and Medicaid was Reagan pet project and he was doing everything to get funding after Congress was trying to defund it.

    Holly fook, you don't know anything about your own country, let alone about Thailand, you Telsa driving fraud

  7. #57
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    they have also Medicaid and Medicare which are government subsidies for the elderly, quite expensive for the government to run

    initiated by that great communist, Reagan, in 1984
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Lyndon B Johnson signed them into law in 1965.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Medicare and Medicaid was Reagan pet project and he was doing everything to get funding after Congress was trying to defund it.




  8. #58
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    02-07-2020 @ 12:04 AM
    Posts
    14,551
    oh fuck off shitbird, Reagan, the great communist, made sure to own it when he saved it

    bsnub wouldn't know that, he was still an enzyme

  9. #59
    Thailand Expat
    Scottish Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2020 @ 05:25 AM
    Location
    Flying in and flying out
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    One does not receive "free health care" anywhere. In the UK the citizens pay taxes to the government. The government decides how much to fund the nations citizens "health care". The amounts are "promised" generally by the candidates prior to election. After being elected more "promises" are made but unfortunately few are delivered fully.

    Due to "unforeseen" budget shortfalls.
    Its free at the point of need. If you go through your cars windshield you will be taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital where you will cared for until you have recovered. When you leave you will not be presented with a huge bill like you would in the US

  10. #60
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    19,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Gary View Post
    Its free at the point of need.
    UK governments decide how budgets derived from taxes, levies, donations are spent. Budgets and monies for all NHS operations are politically
    decided.

    I suspect if a foreigner/returning ex-pat, "visiting" the UK, details would be scrutinised, similar to many countries including LOS.

    How the NHS charges overseas visitors for NHS hospital care

    People living outside the EEA and Switzerland

    People who live outside the EEA and Switzerland (non-EEA nationals), including former UK residents, are not automatically entitled to free NHS care. They should make sure they are covered by personal health or travel insurance. They will be charged at 150% of the NHS national tariff, unless an exemption applies to them or the service they are accessing or they are covered by a reciprocal healthcare agreement between the UK and their country.



    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-hospital-care



    Free at the point of need backed up by legislation to ensure all costs, plus a 50% premium are chargeable. Whether the bill is collected, I don't know.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

  11. #61
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,369
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    People who live outside the EEA and Switzerland (non-EEA nationals), including former UK residents, are not automatically entitled to free NHS care.
    They are in the event of an emergency.

  12. #62
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 04:05 PM
    Posts
    26,669
    So if ya can get your cancerous arse on a plane back to Pomgolia they will treat you free ?

    I'm askin the question because most punters say this is not the case.

    Dunno.

  13. #63
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,369
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    So if ya can get your cancerous arse on a plane back to Pomgolia they will treat you free ?

    I'm askin the question because most punters say this is not the case.
    I know a couple of ockers that did the same by returning home.

  14. #64
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,770
    ditto, though they had (questionable) residency and did not burn their bridges.

  15. #65
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 04:05 PM
    Posts
    26,669
    Not without their Medicare card they did not. That's expires once out of the cuntry for a certain amount of time and then ya are on ya own until you get back in the system.

    They may of been treated and then offered a pay back loan.

  16. #66
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,369
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    Not without their Medicare card they did not. That's expires once out of the cuntry for a certain amount of time and then ya are on ya own until you get back in the system.

    They may of been treated and then offered a pay back loan.
    Both of them in fact needed Stents. Both said they just walked into the hospital on arrival and got treatment. The two did not know each other but both gave me the same story.

  17. #67
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,429
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    Not without their Medicare card they did not. That's expires once out of the cuntry for a certain amount of time and then ya are on ya own until you get back in the system.

    They may of been treated and then offered a pay back loan.

    It expires after one has been out of country for 5 years.

    Mine had expired when I went home 01/01/18, it took less than 10 minutes on the phone to re-enrol and they verbally gave me my number to use if needed whilst waiting for the card to arrive in the mail.

    I was non resident for taxation purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    let me explain simply 100MB != 1GB RAM

  18. #68
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    19,969
    I don't believe the UK has an arbitrary time period. One, if asked, has to explain one's residence "qualification".

    As many go decades without seeking medical services from the NHS.

  19. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    It expires after one has been out of country for 5 years.

    Mine had expired when I went home 01/01/18, it took less than 10 minutes on the phone to re-enrol and they verbally gave me my number to use if needed whilst waiting for the card to arrive in the mail.

    I was non resident for taxation purposes.
    This may have been correct, it must have been if Fondles got a new card, however I don't think it is correct anymore.

    I had been a non resident for tax purpose for several years but become a tax resident in 2018 again (didn't earn enough to pay taxes mind).

    Anyway because my Medicare card had expired long before this I waited until I was a tax payer again before making enquiries about a new Medicare card.

    Seems that they have now changed the rules and eligibility is not based on being a taxpayer anymore it is based on being a living in Australia resident.
    I suppose they make the assumption that if you are a live in resident then you are automatically a tax payer, but who knows?

    Anyway for me to get a new card I need to show evidence of actually living in Australia i.e. a property deed or a rental agreement
    in my name
    , Aussie bank account/s in my name and there were a few other optional documentation that could be provided.

    All this was to be done through your "MyGov" account. That account and a bank account were the only things I did have, so no card was the result.

    So until I actually move back there permanently (if ever) then I am not covered by Medicare. I also believe people would need to be careful if I did have a current card and were out of the country for an extended period as Immigration could inform them and your card cancelled.

    So in the end I just have to take it up the butt and grin about, the c**ts.

  20. #70
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,429
    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post
    This may have been correct, it must have been if Fondles got a new card, however I don't think it is correct anymore.

    I had been a non resident for tax purpose for several years but become a tax resident in 2018 again (didn't earn enough to pay taxes mind).

    Anyway because my Medicare card had expired long before this I waited until I was a tax payer again before making enquiries about a new Medicare card.

    Seems that they have now changed the rules and eligibility is not based on being a taxpayer anymore it is based on being a living in Australia resident.
    I suppose they make the assumption that if you are a live in resident then you are automatically a tax payer, but who knows?

    Anyway for me to get a new card I need to show evidence of actually living in Australia i.e. a property deed or a rental agreement
    in my name
    , Aussie bank account/s in my name and there were a few other optional documentation that could be provided.

    All this was to be done through your "MyGov" account. That account and a bank account were the only things I did have, so no card was the result.

    So until I actually move back there permanently (if ever) then I am not covered by Medicare. I also believe people would need to be careful if I did have a current card and were out of the country for an extended period as Immigration could inform them and your card cancelled.

    So in the end I just have to take it up the butt and grin about, the c**ts.
    I was non resident when I landed on the 1st, My car licence and Aus bank account both being at the same address along with birth certificate and passport was enough to for centrelink and I was on their doorstep 9am on the 2nd... with all that in hand I then went to medicare (luckily same building as centrelink) and they confirm I was eligible but easiest to phone them... I called them when I got home.

    I did have a my gov account as I set that up when at centrelink.

    All in all it was very straight forward to get my medicare card and onto the dole.... had to wait 4 weeks before 1st payment though.

  21. #71
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,429
    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post
    This may have been correct, it must have been if Fondles got a new card, however I don't think it is correct anymore.

    I had been a non resident for tax purpose for several years but become a tax resident in 2018 again (didn't earn enough to pay taxes mind).

    Anyway because my Medicare card had expired long before this I waited until I was a tax payer again before making enquiries about a new Medicare card.

    Seems that they have now changed the rules and eligibility is not based on being a taxpayer anymore it is based on being a living in Australia resident.
    I suppose they make the assumption that if you are a live in resident then you are automatically a tax payer, but who knows?

    Anyway for me to get a new card I need to show evidence of actually living in Australia i.e. a property deed or a rental agreement
    in my name
    , Aussie bank account/s in my name and there were a few other optional documentation that could be provided.

    All this was to be done through your "MyGov" account. That account and a bank account were the only things I did have, so no card was the result.

    So until I actually move back there permanently (if ever) then I am not covered by Medicare. I also believe people would need to be careful if I did have a current card and were out of the country for an extended period as Immigration could inform them and your card cancelled.

    So in the end I just have to take it up the butt and grin about, the c**ts.
    I was non resident when I landed on the 1st, My car licence and Aus bank account both being at the same address along with birth certificate and passport was enough to for centrelink and I was on their doorstep 9am on the 2nd... with all that in hand I then went to medicare (luckily same building as centrelink) and they confirm I was eligible but easiest to phone them... I called them when I got home.

    I did have a my gov account as I set that up when at centrelink.

    All in all it was very straight forward to get my medicare card and onto the dole.... had to wait 4 weeks before 1st payment though.

    Anyone that struggles with this obviously does not know how to answer the questions in a manner that satisfies them.

  22. #72
    Thailand Expat armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,959
    From a UK pov because I have no ties to the UK (no bank acct, expiring driving licence, haven't paid tax, contributions etc for 10+ years.) That I wouldn't receive free NHS treatment.

  23. #73
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,369
    Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    I wouldn't receive free NHS treatment.
    You will get emergency treatment free. Everyone does, even tourists. My missus got a fish bone stuck in her throat whilst on holiday in the UK. I took her to the hospital and sorted her out. I offered to pay but they refused as it was an emergency.

  24. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    I was non resident when I landed on the 1st, My car licence and Aus bank account both being at the same address along with birth certificate and passport was enough to for centrelink and I was on their doorstep 9am on the 2nd... with all that in hand I then went to medicare (luckily same building as centrelink) and they confirm I was eligible but easiest to phone them... I called them when I got home.

    I did have a my gov account as I set that up when at centrelink.

    All in all it was very straight forward to get my medicare card and onto the dole.... had to wait 4 weeks before 1st payment though.

    Anyone that struggles with this obviously does not know how to answer the questions in a manner that satisfies them.

    Fondles
    I'm hearing ya. I never officially made any application. In Perth I seen Medicare office which at the time I didn't realise was also the ATO and My Gov office all in one so I went in and asked the "helper" that was at the entrance she told me all the information above and gave me the pamphlets with all the bullshit in them.
    I thought at the time if I was going to be in Perth for longer I think I could put together enough stuff to get me through the maze but as I was only there for a short time I just let in go.

    If I go back for a longer stay and now armed with what I learned then and what you have said here I am sure I would eventually get a card.

    I won't be going anywhere near Centrelink at this stage (I will if I ever move back permanently to get a AOP) but thanks for the additional information.

  25. #75
    Thailand Expat
    Scottish Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2020 @ 05:25 AM
    Location
    Flying in and flying out
    Posts
    1,344
    I fly home to the UK riddled with cancer and get a taxi from the airport to the nearest hospital. I walk into the reception and say ''help me im fucked'' what would their reaction be? Would i get treated for free even although i dont have UK residency?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •