Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,119
    Quote Originally Posted by thegent
    Presumably, you have other commitments.
    A regular supply of quality heroin does not come cheap!

  2. #27
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    Quote Originally Posted by neemo View Post
    Either you are simply trolling or an idiot.
    HB is not trolling.
    True that, I am not trolling. Not so sure about being an idiot but will agree I have been stupid from time to time.

    As told on this forum before, I met a UK gentleman (over 10 years ago) that was in charge of the runways in Swampy. He was complaining about his B400,000 per month salary. Not enough to pay for his boys school fees back home.

    Additionally, I know many expats and a few Thais on some extremely high salaries. Some often complain about the end of the month.

    My home is paid for so I do not have to pay the B60,000 rental per month as suggested by The Gent. My family does not travel much and we eat both Thai and Western food at home. Villa is not cheap.

    So where does my massive (cough-cough) monthly salary go?

    I do have other investments here in Thailand as I do not expect my US or Thai government to support me or my family in my remaining years.

    Goes right back to the shoestring debate...

  3. #28
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    13-06-2021 @ 09:18 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,739
    Swampy wasnt open ten years ago .

  4. #29
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    13-06-2021 @ 09:18 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,739
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post

    As told on this forum before, I met a UK gentleman (over 10 years ago) that was in charge of the runways in Swampy. He was complaining about his B400,000 per month salary. Not enough to pay for his boys school fees back home.

    .
    Although when you mentioned him last time, he was building the airport and you had to buy him a beer because he couldnt pay for it himself .
    Maybe he worked building the airport and they gave him the job of running it ?

  5. #30
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post

    As told on this forum before, I met a UK gentleman (over 10 years ago) that was in charge of the runways in Swampy. He was complaining about his B400,000 per month salary. Not enough to pay for his boys school fees back home.

    .
    Although when you mentioned him last time, he was building the airport and you had to buy him a beer because he couldnt pay for it himself .
    Maybe he worked building the airport and they gave him the job of running it ?

    DD would not have allowed this poster to continue...

    But then again this is a new Teakdooor without a master...

  6. #31
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    4,197
    ^ come on Hillbilly do not be a sook - Fluke made a witty point - no big deal - give a bit back!

  7. #32
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    13-06-2021 @ 09:18 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,739
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post

    As told on this forum before, I met a UK gentleman (over 10 years ago) that was in charge of the runways in Swampy. He was complaining about his B400,000 per month salary. Not enough to pay for his boys school fees back home.

    .
    Although when you mentioned him last time, he was building the airport and you had to buy him a beer because he couldnt pay for it himself .
    Maybe he worked building the airport and they gave him the job of running it ?

    DD would not have allowed this poster to continue...

    But then again this is a new Teakdooor without a master...

    I recalled it because you stated that he was deep piling bore holes to a depth of 400 metres for the runway and I remember thinking that was a bit deep to be digging laying tarmac for the runway .
    Bloody hell, if he went any deeper, it would pop out somewhere in the USA .
    You wouldnt then even need to fly, just jump down the hole and come shooting out the other side............who would need a runway ?

  8. #33
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    29-06-2020 @ 09:33 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,764
    Always like these threads on living costs in Thailand, opens my eyes on how little people can get by on. Know teachers in Ubon, kids, wives and live on less than 50 grand a month.
    Nearest farang neighbor, no outside income, lives by farming, 3 kids, he was down to 3,000 Baht last year and they lived.
    I'm broke, no outside income, but no rent or mortgage, wifes got a milk shake stand out front of the house, pulls in 150 plus Baht a day profit, keeps us until the rubber starts again.
    In the west I worked, I was never broke, I was in debt, here I'm just capital shy.
    Kids are playing in the inflatable pool, I have a cold beer, good credit at the local shop, no real worries.
    Sun comes up tomorrow, we have a place to sleep, food to eat, money means cars, wide screen TVs and holidays
    in OZ.
    Guess the reality is you can live large or get by on very little, think I was happier when we lived in a stilt hut, with nothing.

  9. #34
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Online
    01-04-2014 @ 05:22 PM
    Posts
    77
    My Euros buy 10% more baht than they did not long ago.

    Unfortunately everything in Thailand seems to have become 20% more expensive in that time.

  10. #35
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neemo View Post
    Either you are simply trolling or an idiot.
    HB is not trolling.
    True that, I am not trolling. Not so sure about being an idiot but will agree I have been stupid from time to time.

    As told on this forum before, I met a UK gentleman (over 10 years ago) that was in charge of the runways in Swampy. He was complaining about his B400,000 per month salary. Not enough to pay for his boys school fees back home.

    Additionally, I know many expats and a few Thais on some extremely high salaries. Some often complain about the end of the month.

    My home is paid for so I do not have to pay the B60,000 rental per month as suggested by The Gent. My family does not travel much and we eat both Thai and Western food at home. Villa is not cheap.

    So where does my massive (cough-cough) monthly salary go?

    I do have other investments here in Thailand as I do not expect my US or Thai government to support me or my family in my remaining years.

    Goes right back to the shoestring debate...

    As it revolves back around to one's priorities and lifestyle.
    Some can get by minimally very comfortably, while others might need an astronomical income.

  11. #36
    Member
    neemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    [

    DD would not have allowed this poster to continue...

    But then again this is a new Teakdooor without a master...
    And this off-topic crap would have been swiftly removed and the author ridiculed ...

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,008
    DD often gave Hill Billy a virtual smack down; particularly in the mods room.

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    DD often gave Hill Billy a virtual smack down; particularly in the mods room.
    Well that is true! DD had a knack about looking at a coin from three sides. I quit being a mod on my own accord because I got tired of dealing with the nuts.

    And you?

  14. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Online
    30-07-2020 @ 06:32 PM
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescollister
    Guess the reality is you can live large or get by on very little,
    +1
    For some of us it takes a life time to learn

  15. #40
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Swampy wasnt open ten years ago .
    Explains why the guy was complaining about the runways then.

    I can hear it now.

    "F'ckin' airport. It's just a swamp. No control tower, no runways, and full of bladdy snakes."

    HB you owe me a green for resolving this one.

  16. #41
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    okay lets answer the op's question instead of telling everybody how much we earn and don't earn?

    Rent: 1000-15000 bt for accommodation depending?
    Necessities:
    beef pork, fish/prawns/crab..market price 120-200bt /kilo
    Electric average bill 1-3000 bt depending on location and appliances.
    Veggies 20-30bt /kilo
    Eggs 32-40bt /ten
    cleaning goods..100 -300bt..hard one
    Gas, 45bt/litre, diesel 35bt /litre
    A half reasonable used truck about 400kbt
    Water 200 or so baht per month if on town water..wells free of course.
    Clothing/footwear ...cheap as chips..199bt for thongs?
    Beer 450-500 a box of a dozen bottles
    Cigs 65-70bt
    Wine 400bt-whatever per bottle...chateau cardboard 4ltre 900++ bt
    Transportation cheap as chips
    Sure some others have more info but that is what I see...
    S

  17. #42
    Thailand Expat
    crepitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    27-03-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    okay lets answer the op's question instead of telling everybody how much we earn and don't earn?

    Rent: 1000-15000 bt for accommodation depending?
    Necessities:
    beef pork, fish/prawns/crab..market price 120-200bt /kilo
    Electric average bill 1-3000 bt depending on location and appliances.
    Veggies 20-30bt /kilo
    Eggs 32-40bt /ten
    cleaning goods..100 -300bt..hard one
    Gas, 45bt/litre, diesel 35bt /litre
    A half reasonable used truck about 400kbt
    Water 200 or so baht per month if on town water..wells free of course.
    Clothing/footwear ...cheap as chips..199bt for thongs?
    Beer 450-500 a box of a dozen bottles
    Cigs 65-70bt
    Wine 400bt-whatever per bottle...chateau cardboard 4ltre 900++ bt
    Transportation cheap as chips
    Sure some others have more info but that is what I see...
    S
    Oh and 2litre milk about 84bt and butter about 70bt for a ?gram block.
    other farang stuff like a can of beans or a 100 grms of salami,fancy cheeses ,olive oil ,frozen lamb,pizza etc etc ain't that bad really. Prices all over.

  18. #43
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    29-06-2020 @ 09:33 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,764
    Cheapest place I have ever been, NY city, but I was sleeping in store doorways and car parks.
    Sometimes life is shit, think poor in rural Thailand is better, just my opinion. Jim

  19. #44
    Member
    neemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitas View Post
    other farang stuff like a can of beans or a 100 grms of salami,fancy cheeses ,olive oil ,frozen lamb,pizza etc etc ain't that bad really. Prices all over.
    Costs more than in farangland... not recommended for people on a tight budget.
    Seasonal insects are free, some literally fly into the kitchen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •