Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 118
  1. #76
    I'm in Jail

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:02 PM
    Posts
    33,063
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi
    what do I have to listen to," It's too hot" (27") I answer"It's not that hot" then wait for it"The heat abroad is a DIFFERENT heat NOT like this"
    it is a different heat, a very dry heat you're having there in the UK, compared to the wet humid heat of the tropics
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin
    Why do some farangs get such a bad case of butthurt when they hear negative things about Thailand?
    One expat in Thailand will undoubtably be happier than the next guy who has been stung by his ho of a wife, been ripped off by the many scams etc. Every farang has a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by supernovadw
    There seems to be a countless number of people who love to moan about every single little thing possible
    moaning in moderation is a good thing. it is an inbuilt way of problem solving. That is what puts us Farangs higher up the evolutionary ladder than the Thais who will just run away, cover it up, not talk about it and not take on board any lessons that could have been learned

  2. #77
    ความสุขในอีสาน
    nigelandjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Frinton on sea and Ban Pak
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost Of The Moog
    A good way to make money in Thailand would be to open old people's home's for farangs, where they can feel, safe, protected, insulated -and play Scrabble all day.


    A luxury retirement facility in Thailand

  3. #78
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberlour View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VocalNeal
    I asked my wife about the Saraburi bus accident. She said she doesn't live in Saraburi.
    Indeed. Thais are fucking selfish, ignorant and have their heads either in the sand or up Pii's arse.
    Out of interest marmite, why would you marry a Thai if you feel that way about them?
    She was a cashier...

  4. #79
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    26-06-2020 @ 01:10 PM
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    1,703
    moaning in moderation is a good thing. it is an inbuilt way of problem solving. That is what puts us Farangs higher up the evolutionary ladder than the Thais who will just run away, cover it up, not talk about it and not take on board any lessons that could have been learned
    There is no 'evolutionary ladder' but were such a thing to exist, an ability to whinge and whine like a badly trained poodle would not qualify you for promotion.

  5. #80
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooheekock
    There is no 'evolutionary ladder' but were such a thing to exist, an ability to whinge and whine like a badly trained poodle would not qualify you for promotion.
    The ability to pretend everything is rosy and not have to think is better, right?

  6. #81
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,222
    Some of the biggest moaners are returnee thais who have experienced life abroad, and have seen what life can be like in societies not plagued with selfishness, cronyism, corruption and inequality, or at least in societies that acknowledge the existence of such characteristics, allow full and open discussion of them and attempt improvements.

  7. #82
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    21-07-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    ^^^
    The inability to see when someone is taking the piss, makes you one boring cnut, no?

  8. #83
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    26-06-2020 @ 01:10 PM
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooheekock
    There is no 'evolutionary ladder' but were such a thing to exist, an ability to whinge and whine like a badly trained poodle would not qualify you for promotion.
    The ability to pretend everything is rosy and not have to think is better, right?
    I'm not sure why you think that there's some connection between my post and your question but, if the options available to immigrants in Thailand were reduced to (i) pointless, unproductive and incessant whining about the (perhaps) imagined problems they have living in Thailand (whining which seems only to have the consequence of amplifying their unhappiness) and (ii) pretending that they have no problems and that everything is great (a pretence that may have the consequence of actually making the person believe that s/he really is happy after all) then, yes option (ii) looks a little more attractive. Of course, those aren't the only two options so it's a pointless question.

  9. #84
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    29-07-2013 @ 10:11 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    8
    Women is the short answer.

    The long answer is women and that they actually like many things about Thailand, but also dislike many things.

    Personally, I'm fed up with trying to get True to come hook up internet at my condo. I've been trying for months, and they never show up. I finally got them to show up, and they said there is not enough lines.

    Instead of them putting me on a list and installing it when a line opens up, they informed me to just keep calling them to see if a line is open........

    Things like that can turn people sour and make them vent, even if they enjoy living in LOS as a whole.

  10. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    23-06-2014 @ 11:30 PM
    Posts
    1,235
    Abie,

    What happened to our squabble (which you initiated and I was winning very handily)? Mods take it out, because they were embarrassed for you?

    Interesting.

    RickThai

  11. #86
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelandjan
    A luxury retirement facility in Thailand
    That's where the smart money has been for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile
    Some of the biggest moaners are returnee thais who have experienced life abroad, and have seen what life can be like in societies not plagued with selfishness, cronyism, corruption and inequality, or at least in societies that acknowledge the existence of such characteristics, allow full and open discussion of them and attempt improvements.
    What's seen can't be unseen
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProfessor
    Women is the short answer.
    And here endeth the lesson

  12. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    11-03-2015 @ 08:15 AM
    Location
    Vientiane, Lao.
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by supernovadw View Post
    I must admit I do tend to agree with the OP,

    There seems to be a countless number of people who love to moan about every single little thing possible, this forum isn't too bad for it but the times I've looked on 'Thai Visa Forum' It's ridiculous! I mean of course you are more than welcome to say what you want however I cannot understand why you would move somewhere out of your own free will and keep complaining about it!? It seems that every topic I view on the Thai Visa Forum is just full of old blokes complaining about every single possible little thing...I guess the reason is because they have nothing to do and are just bored...

    Myself as I am sure most people do not like certain things about the place however after all no where in the world is perfect! And what help does moaning about it do?
    As has already been said many times before. You get some guys who think they are moving to some exotic country whereby the locals will treat them like a king. Once they arrive and have sunk all their money into the country, they have passed the point of no return. Thats when they start to see through the thin veneer of smiles and realise theyre just another farang who is nothing more than a long term visitor. Thats when the resentment starts to set in and they see that, the perfect paradise they told all their mates about back home, doesnt really exist.

    Of course, there are the others, who come here with their eyes wide open, keep their options open, accept the place for what it is and live accordingly.
    Your right, I completely agree with you but if that were me and I really disliked living somewhere then I would no longer live there, there's no point staying if you really dislike everything really is there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by supernovadw
    There seems to be a countless number of people who love to moan about every single little thing possible
    You've only been here 5 minutes - come back in a decade (if you're still here) and give everyone a relevant opinion.
    You are correct I have not been living here long at all but what I am saying is that if you hate living here then why would you stay? You might argue that you have burnt your bridges and cannot return to your home country but really come on that's just an excuse, there is nothing to stop you going back home....

    My opinion may not be backed up with many years of 'experience' however surely I can voice my own opinion no? In the short time of living here there are already things I dislike however moaning about them isn't really going to help hey.

  13. #88
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    21-07-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    Im sure many would leave, but cant, whether it be, scared of losing face (its not just a Thai thing is it?), not having enough money to survive back where they came from, all their money is invested in Thailand (dont invest what you cant afford to lose springs to mind), the list is endless. So, these individuals are kind of stuck in limbo. Theres also the possibility of an individual feeling even more of a stranger in their home country, than they do in Thailand, due to the fact they have been away so long. Whatever their reason is for complaining, its their choice.

    To say someone has no right to complain because they weren't born there is ludicrous. When others have said the same about immigrants in the UK (for example), there have been many members jumping all over the posters, calling them racists et etc.
    I aint superstitious, but I know when somethings wrong
    I`ve been dragging my heels with a bitch called hope
    Let the undercurrent drag me along.

  14. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    11-03-2015 @ 08:15 AM
    Location
    Vientiane, Lao.
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim View Post
    Im sure many would leave, but cant, whether it be, scared of losing face (its not just a Thai thing is it?), not having enough money to survive back where they came from, all their money is invested in Thailand (dont invest what you cant afford to lose springs to mind), the list is endless. So, these individuals are kind of stuck in limbo. Theres also the possibility of an individual feeling even more of a stranger in their home country, than they do in Thailand, due to the fact they have been away so long. Whatever their reason is for complaining, its their choice.

    To say someone has no right to complain because they weren't born there is ludicrous. When others have said the same about immigrants in the UK (for example), there have been many members jumping all over the posters, calling them racists et etc.
    I understand what you are saying and hey who knows I might be sat here moaning when I'm old like the others but at current I have a completely different outlook on things, I'm realistic and I know that things can of course change so I will keep an open mind.

    You must surely admit that it does get a little tiresome when you see negative posts about literally every possible little thing though no?

  15. #90
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    21-07-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    Quote Originally Posted by supernovadw View Post
    You must surely admit that it does get a little tiresome when you see negative posts about literally every possible little thing though no?
    A little, yes, but, to sugar coat everything would also be wrong too.

    If im feeling that way, I simply dont log on to TD, or I`ll go into the construction or gardening section and read the positive stuff other members are doing.

  16. #91
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    30-05-2014 @ 10:48 PM
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim
    To say someone has no right to complain because they weren't born there is ludicrous.
    No body is saying that they don't have the right if they want to astas, but it doesn't change the simple fact that there must be a reason behind their behaviour. People don't moan by default, so it must be because they are unhappy with their lives or unable to deal with the frustrations life is throwing at them.

    Either way, moaning on a forum won't change a single thing. It may make the feel better for 5 minutes (at every body else's expense) but long term they will still be the same unhappy, frustrated people.

    Quote Originally Posted by supernovadw
    You must surely admit that it does get a little tiresome when you see negative posts about literally every possible little thing though no?
    With you all the way mate. This forum isn't that bad at all, but when I used to post on the TV Phuket sub forum, fuck me that place was full of the most depressing old men I'd ever seen. Very sad way to live your life.

  17. #92
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,514
    Quote Originally Posted by supernovadw
    My opinion may not be backed up with many years of 'experience' however surely I can voice my own opinion no?
    Only if it comes from 'experience', to which you admit to be short of.

  18. #93
    ding ding ding
    Spin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberlour
    Either way, moaning on a forum won't change a single thing
    Actually for me it does change something. I moan on the internet so I don't find myself moaning to real people. I get it off my chest online so there's a better chance that in the real world I can focus on watching girls go by rather than bitching about how everything is still as shit as it was when I arrived 9 years ago.
    Originally Posted by Smeg
    ... I like to fantasise sometimes, and I lie very occasionally... my superior home, job, wealth, freedom, car, girl, retirement age, appearance, satisfaction with birth country etc etc... Over the past few years I have put together over 100 pages on notes on thaiophilia...

  19. #94
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by supernovadw View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by supernovadw
    There seems to be a countless number of people who love to moan about every single little thing possible
    You've only been here 5 minutes - come back in a decade (if you're still here) and give everyone a relevant opinion.
    You are correct I have not been living here long at all but what I am saying is that if you hate living here then why would you stay? You might argue that you have burnt your bridges and cannot return to your home country but really come on that's just an excuse, there is nothing to stop you going back home....

    My opinion may not be backed up with many years of 'experience' however surely I can voice my own opinion no? In the short time of living here there are already things I dislike however moaning about them isn't really going to help hey.
    Who said I hated living here? Does one have to hate living someplace just because the vast majority of the local population are clinically retarded?

    I quite like living here - it's like living in a William Golding story.

  20. #95
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    21-07-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberlour View Post

    Either way, moaning on a forum won't change a single thing. It may make the feel better for 5 minutes (at every body else's expense) but long term they will still be the same unhappy, frustrated people.
    I disagree Abe. Now I can only speak from experience, but, I`ve vented/moaned on here before and have received very valuable advice/wisdom from others. Not only did it prevent me from moaning about the same topic again, it also helped me see things from other angles that ordinarily, I wouldn't see.

    Who`d a thunk it eh. TD, the self improvement forum

  21. #96
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 11:06 PM
    Posts
    2,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberlour View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim
    To say someone has no right to complain because they weren't born there is ludicrous.
    No body is saying that they don't have the right if they want to astas, but it doesn't change the simple fact that there must be a reason behind their behaviour. People don't moan by default, so it must be because they are unhappy with their lives or unable to deal with the frustrations life is throwing at them.

    Either way, moaning on a forum won't change a single thing. It may make the feel better for 5 minutes (at every body else's expense) but long term they will still be the same unhappy, frustrated people.

    Quote Originally Posted by supernovadw
    You must surely admit that it does get a little tiresome when you see negative posts about literally every possible little thing though no?
    With you all the way mate. This forum isn't that bad at all, but when I used to post on the TV Phuket sub forum, fuck me that place was full of the most depressing old men I'd ever seen. Very sad way to live your life.
    You have nailed this Abby anyone who lives in Thailand and chooses to moan about anything is an unhappy frustrated person.

  22. #97
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    30-05-2014 @ 10:48 PM
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by astasinim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberlour View Post

    Either way, moaning on a forum won't change a single thing. It may make the feel better for 5 minutes (at every body else's expense) but long term they will still be the same unhappy, frustrated people.
    I disagree Abe. Now I can only speak from experience, but, I`ve vented/moaned on here before and have received very valuable advice/wisdom from others. Not only did it prevent me from moaning about the same topic again, it also helped me see things from other angles that ordinarily, I wouldn't see.

    Who`d a thunk it eh. TD, the self improvement forum
    Thats a bit different though mate. You admit to not moaning about the same thing once you had the answer. I'm talkint about the people who moan about everyghing, constantly and who think nothing about moaning about the same thing over and over and over again.

    The kind of moaning a well balanced fella like yourself may do, is very different to the incessant, repetitive moaning that others do, that IMO can only come from a troubled mind.

  23. #98
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    30-05-2014 @ 10:48 PM
    Posts
    2,630
    ^^ Sshhh dave, the grown ups are talking.

  24. #99
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Those needn't apply, whom:

    1] Encase themselves in Farang settings and related atmosphere.

    2] Don't make any effort to understand any local language.

    3] Disconnected from comprehending [or decipering] cultural nuances.

    4] Challenged cognitively and intuitively.

    5] Numb to one's surroundings.

    Might describe 98%.......

  25. #100
    Thailand Expat
    astasinim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    21-07-2019 @ 04:40 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,067
    ^^^
    Fair points.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •