Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 63
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    11,090

    Do Thais eat enough fruit and vegetables? 5 a day and the like

    ^ Agreed, but with kids and Thai not known for their daily intake of Fruit and Veg ... a multivitamin is a rest easy insurance policy.

    Kids mimic adults, hence I take one also.

  2. #2
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,488
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Thai not known for their daily intake of Fruit and Veg ..
    Huh?
    Clearly your observation skills are not terribly honed, Dave.

    We're talking Thai here, not Farang kids that appear to be Thai and melded into their appropriate surroundings -
    Last edited by HuangLao; 28-06-2020 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Coffee and a dobbie -

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Posts
    4,792
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    Huh?
    Clearly your observation skills are not terribly honed, Dave.
    I'm with Jeff here, Dave. Fruit is widely available on the street (in small bags to eat now or at the market to take home) while any khao gaeng stall will always have numerous veggie options.

    Not really much of an excuse in Thailand to not be getting your five a day.

  4. #4
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Gaslightingshire
    Posts
    17,816
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    Clearly your observation skills are not terribly honed
    Clearly they are.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    11,090
    To the above comments ...

    My Boys are 6 YO and live in the West ATM

    ---

    But, in Thailand I didn't see much eating of fruit and little of vegetables by the young ones.

    Adults, a little more ... Green Mango/PawPaw salad being an exception.

    Just my experiences living in a large Thai Family
    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Posts
    4,792
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    To the above comments ...

    My Boys are 6 YO and live in the West ATM

    ---

    But, in Thailand I didn't see much eating of fruit and little of vegetables by the young ones.

    Adults, a little more ... Green Mango/PawPaw salad being an exception.

    Just my experiences living in a large Thai Family
    It's everywhere mate. The kids are always walking around with the little bags of pineapple that you get for 10 to 20 baht or so on the street (admittedly often doused in sugar and chili, but still...) and the adults will always have a bag next to their desk in the office.

    Go out with any Thai for a cheap meal at lunch (khao gaeng) or to a more expensive restaurant and there'll always be at least one plate of vegetables ordered.

  7. #7
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,488
    Thai [and their children] consume varying degrees of veges everyday -
    Raw, cooked, whatever.

  8. #8
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,488
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    To the above comments ...

    My Boys are 6 YO and live in the West ATM

    ---

    But, in Thailand I didn't see much eating of fruit and little of vegetables by the young ones.

    Adults, a little more ... Green Mango/PawPaw salad being an exception.

    Just my experiences living in a large Thai Family

    ....and your experience and exposure is quite nominal.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Posts
    4,792
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    Thai [and their children] consume varying degrees of veges everyday -
    Raw, cooked, whatever.
    Indeed.

    All those horrible Isaan fishy dips where a fucking raw green bean is used or something!

    Not my cup of chai, but to say that Thais don't get enough veggies?!?!?!?!

    Bizarre, to say the least. For fucks sake, every food stall has various greens available when you sit down for your lunch/evening meal!

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    11,090
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    ... every food stall has various greens available when you sit down for your lunch/evening meal!
    'available' and 'consumed' are different concepts.

    ---

    Mate, everyone's experience differs.

    My experience is a decade (on and off) living in Thailand, the majority of which lived with an extensive, diverse Thai Family.

    Your Thai experience is obviously different.


    Both experiences are mutually different, but still factual.

  11. #11
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,109
    I'd say Yes they do or close anyway. I see Thai kids and adults eating fruit constantly. Pineapple, Thai apples, Noi Na, bananas, mango, oranges. Veggies is in almost every meal. That said they also eat a ton of processed meats.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Little Chuchok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Posts
    9,726
    My experience says that they eat shit loads of greens and fruit.

    From a Thai family having what seemed like eating an endless amount of the green stuff and a small amount of meat, to living in a condo in Chiang Mai and watching the universality and school kids line up to a mobile fruit stall before and after school( set up at 6AM every morning...fuckers used to wake me up!)

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Posts
    18,704
    Perhaps vegetables and fruit consumption are different in Isaan. But for sure here in Bangkok everyone eats fruit daily. So easy to just pick up a bag of any kind for virtually nothing. Fresh vegetables everyday as well. Dont forget with the climate here both fruit and veg is available everyday fresh and full of vitamins.

    From here we go to the vitamins. Neither I or anyone in my family takes vitamins as we get them through the fruit and veg. Remember though the staple food of Isaan is Kao Neow which is eaten with a different type of Thai food than Kao Suay.

    So perhaps you are seeing something different up in Isaan. With its heavy Thai/Chinese population BKK does eat very different than Isaan. In fact I only learned to love vegetables here. The way they are prepared on high heat and stir fried with oyster sauce and garlic makes them simply delicious.

    Look at Bowies dinner thread contributions for how most Bangkokians eat.. Loads of fruit and veg daily.

  14. #14
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,488
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Perhaps vegetables and fruit consumption are different in Isaan. But for sure here in Bangkok everyone eats fruit daily. So easy to just pick up a bag of any kind for virtually nothing. Fresh vegetables everyday as well. Dont forget with the climate here both fruit and veg is available everyday fresh and full of vitamins.

    From here we go to the vitamins. Neither I or anyone in my family takes vitamins as we get them through the fruit and veg. Remember though the staple food of Isaan is Kao Neow which is eaten with a different type of Thai food than Kao Suay.

    So perhaps you are seeing something different up in Isaan. With its heavy Thai/Chinese population BKK does eat very different than Isaan. In fact I only learned to love vegetables here. The way they are prepared on high heat and stir fried with oyster sauce and garlic makes them simply delicious.

    Look at Bowies dinner thread contributions for how most Bangkokians eat.. Loads of fruit and veg daily.

    Might be a better chance that BKK cuisines and dietary habits have their roots [and diffused] from upcountry locales, where a rich variety of foods are to be had and commonplace.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Posts
    3,708
    Has this been modded?

  16. #16
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,488
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    Has this been modded?
    Kinda.
    It was an edited split from Chitty's vitamin thread a couple of hours ago.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,028
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Perhaps vegetables and fruit consumption are different in Isaan. But for sure here in Bangkok
    I doubt much of your veg is grown in Bangkok


    Talking from what I've seen, the majority of your average Thais diet is veg, fruit and rice with minimal protein compared to what we ingest.
    5 a day? More like 20 a day

    The wife is a Botanist when it comes to scavenging off the land and knows all the plants, which I'd imagine nearly all Rural Thais do.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    33,028
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    a multivitamin is a rest easy insurance policy.
    Multi-vitamins are bad. You just end up overdosing on what you already have inside you and are probably damaging your organs.

    Your body will tell you when it need certain vitamins. Have any of your kids got scurvy yet?

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Posts
    4,792
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    'available' and 'consumed' are different concepts.

    Mate, I haven't lived in Thailand for over 10 moon and have not been back on me hols for the last 2 or 3 years, but the comments above confirm what I'm (and Jeff, to be fair to the nob) saying. The problem with the Thai diet is the amount of sugar and salt that goes into the cooking, not the amount of greens they eat.

  20. #20
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    สุโขทัย
    Posts
    8,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    I doubt much of your veg is grown in Bangkok


    Talking from what I've seen, the majority of your average Thais diet is veg, fruit and rice with minimal protein compared to what we ingest.
    5 a day? More like 20 a day

    The wife is a Botanist when it comes to scavenging off the land and knows all the plants, which I'd imagine nearly all Rural Thais do.
    Hence the self-sufficient ideals that come naturally.
    All properties, of every size, grow/keep enough food products for the family and extensions - on a communal extension basis.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Posts
    18,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    I doubt much of your veg is grown in Bangkok
    We grow tomatoes, chilies, pakana, krapow, runner beans, squash, mangoes, limes, bananas and cabbage on our land. Broccoli, cauliflower and other veg is purchased at the market. Mostly grown in Prathum Thani. The fruit the wife chooses is based on which province grows the tastiest type of fruit she wants.



    Do Thais eat enough fruit and vegetables?  5 a day and the like-92239469_2915037931915235_4906320465695342592_n-jpg

    Do Thais eat enough fruit and vegetables?  5 a day and the like-87854962_2826058914146471_1222981165758021632_n-jpg

    Do Thais eat enough fruit and vegetables?  5 a day and the like-87475027_2826058964146466_8747896557069664256_n-jpg

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    11,090
    Based on the posts above, I wholeheartedly accept that the majority of members here are correct and my experiences are an outlier to the norm.

    PLUS, I reckon it's great that so much fruit and veg is eaten.

    It's not my experience, but I can't ignore the weight of your collective experiences.


    When the Covid19 restrictions ease and we revisit the Thai Farm, I'll take more note to see what we, as a large Thai Family eat.

    Maybe it's my perception and the Thai Family is doing better then I recall.


    Time will tell

    PS ... what's the vege content of Humble Pie
    Last edited by David48atTD; 28-06-2020 at 09:21 AM.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien.
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    I'm with Jeff here, Dave. Fruit is widely available on the street (in small bags to eat now or at the market to take home)
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    It's everywhere mate. The kids are always walking around with the little bags of pineapple that you get for 10 to 20 baht or so on the street (admittedly often doused in sugar and chili, but still...) and the adults will always have a bag next to their desk in the office.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    I'd say Yes they do or close anyway. I see Thai kids and adults eating fruit constantly. Pineapple, Thai apples, Noi Na, bananas, mango, oranges. Veggies is in almost every meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Chuchok View Post
    My experience says that they eat shit loads of greens and fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    But for sure here in Bangkok everyone eats fruit daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Look at Bowies dinner thread contributions for how most Bangkokians eat.. Loads of fruit and veg daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    the majority of your average Thais diet is veg, fruit and rice with minimal protein compared to what we ingest.
    5 a day? More like 20 a day
    Yeah, the OP is bizarre.


    But... he doesn't live in Thailand, or seem particularly clued in.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Posts
    18,704
    The Isaan diet is nothing like the Central and Southern Thai diet. Its that simple.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    hallelujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Posts
    4,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
    Yeah, the OP is bizarre.


    But... he doesn't live in Thailand, or seem particularly clued in.
    How has this even become a question (apart from AO taking the opportunity to show off his garden)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •