Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    03-02-2023 @ 01:34 PM
    Posts
    573

    picking coconuts

    does anyone know if you can pick coconuts on the beaches and public land in thailand
    i did a google search and cannot find a answer and have seen lots of them in my travels unpicked

  2. #2
    Praise Jesus
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Cebu
    Posts
    9,078
    You want to climb up a tree, cut it down, then open it up, to save 20 baht?

  3. #3
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    11,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
    You want to climb up a tree, cut it down, then open it up, to save 20 baht?


  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    03-02-2023 @ 12:17 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    3,764
    If you travel with a trained monkey then there should be no problem. Police cannot charge a monkey and you are an innocent bystander. With a carful of coconuts.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,070
    If you travel with a trained monkey
    should be easy enough to find one of those.

    are you from isaan?

  6. #6
    SANS SOUCI
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    SOFA SO GOOD
    Posts
    17,612
    SHY ?

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Posts
    6,074
    Might be a challenge in a wheelchair

  8. #8
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    29,027
    ...for a total weirdo.


  9. #9
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    03-02-2023 @ 01:34 PM
    Posts
    573
    i want to know because in our travels i see a lot of coconut palms with lots of nuts on them
    i have a pruner that will reach over 8 metres
    i thought it could be a extra source of pocket money for my grandchildren
    who do not mind working for money and are not a mob of lazy trolls and stalkers hiding behind computers
    bait taken hook, line and sinker 55555
    does anyone know the actual answer to my question, does not sound like it

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:21 PM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    8,248
    ^ Sorry Peter I don't know the answer to your question but coincidentally, last week Ootai informed me that in Australia, more people are killed by falling coconuts than by sharks each year.

    Be careful whatever you decide.

  11. #11
    I am not a cat
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,053
    I also cannot provide a definitive answer, but experience tells me that even things on public land have people who think that something is "theirs". Taking the odd coconut (especially if fallen) would probably not cause too many problems, going prepared to harvest them, and especially if planning to sell would be highly likely to upset people - even if what you were doing was "legal".

  12. #12
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    03-02-2023 @ 01:34 PM
    Posts
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    ^ Sorry Peter I don't know the answer to your question but coincidentally, last week Ootai informed me that in Australia, more people are killed by falling coconuts than by sharks each year.

    Be careful whatever you decide.
    one of the businesses i owned in Australia was tree lopping so i know all the dangers and how to avoid them
    thank-you any way for your concern

  13. #13
    Praise Jesus
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Cebu
    Posts
    9,078
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Taking the odd coconut (especially if fallen) would probably not cause too many problems, going prepared to harvest them, and especially if planning to sell would be highly likely to upset people - even if what you were doing was "legal".
    Troo that.


    Quote Originally Posted by petercallen View Post
    in our travels i see a lot of coconut palms with lots of nuts on them
    i have a pruner that will reach over 8 metres
    You plan on taking an 8 meter pruner with you when you go traveling??

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    DrWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Posts
    6,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
    You plan on taking an 8 meter pruner with you when you go traveling??
    In his wheelchair...

  15. #15
    Praise Jesus
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Cebu
    Posts
    9,078
    Modify the pruner to hook onto a minivan.

    Save 20 baht.

  16. #16
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    03-02-2023 @ 01:34 PM
    Posts
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
    Troo that.




    You plan on taking an 8 meter pruner with you when you go traveling??
    the handle is in approx 1.8 sections that extend and lock in position
    so it will fit in any vehicle

  17. #17
    Praise Jesus
    Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Cebu
    Posts
    9,078
    Well, if you head up to the north east stop off in Korat and give Mendy a prune.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    33,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
    Well, if you head up to the north east stop off in Korat and give Mendy a prune.
    Dunno about that, his toenails look quite rough
    Last edited by panama hat; 06-11-2022 at 02:27 AM.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:21 PM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    8,248
    FFS guys...

    However Peter you are more than welcome. We have one tree full of coconuts you can practice on.

    Coconuts are about the only fruit we have that the squirrels haven't eaten.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat klong toey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,282
    I would say not a good idea Bangsaen beach has loads of trees but we always see yellow municipal lorries being loaded up.

  21. #21
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    03-02-2023 @ 01:34 PM
    Posts
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    I also cannot provide a definitive answer, but experience tells me that even things on public land have people who think that something is "theirs". Taking the odd coconut (especially if fallen) would probably not cause too many problems, going prepared to harvest them, and especially if planning to sell would be highly likely to upset people - even if what you were doing was "legal".
    i was thinking the same way, some thai people in phuket think if they squat
    on public land they own it, i remember awhile back someone built a squatters
    hut on a road reserve and refused to leave until the goverment built him a home to shift into

  22. #22
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    03-02-2023 @ 01:34 PM
    Posts
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    FFS guys...

    However Peter you are more than welcome. We have one tree full of coconuts you can practice on.

    Coconuts are about the only fruit we have that the squirrels haven't eaten.
    thankyou for the offer but i am not going to travel all over thailand just so
    the children can earn some extra pocket money

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    03-02-2023 @ 12:17 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    3,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    more people are killed by falling coconuts than by sharks each year.
    The reason I decided not to allow any coconut trees in my garden. Sharks are welcome.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    Reg Dingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,844
    The wife a fervent Thai and UK forager and scavenger says "No, those coconuts belong to the Government"

    Maybe send the kids out at night

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    5,424
    Train a monkey to collect them, should be able to do it anywhere except hartlepool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •