Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 826 to 850 of 912
  1. #826
    Thailand Expat
    PAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    16-10-2021 @ 10:55 PM
    Location
    Chalong, Phuket
    Posts
    3,676
    As planned, last night saw the nest removal people arrive, and all house external lights (and most internal) extinguished. The outer shell was burnt off first of all, then the core 'honeycomb' removed. M'Sahib tells me there are a couple of hornets buzzing around this morning, no doubt wondering where their house has gone. A couple of photos sent to M'Sahib last night, not sure if they'd eaten all the lavae or not by this time.




  2. #827
    Thailand Expat
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:58 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    2,204
    Quote Originally Posted by PAG View Post
    The outer shell was burnt off first of all, then the core 'honeycomb' removed.
    I'm sure your garden is a more comfortable place without that nest.

  3. #828
    A Cockless Wonder
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Posts
    13,484
    ^^Looks serious PAG. I had a nasty nest of my own to deal with today.

    I got my arse attacked by an evil horde of Myrmecia Gulosa while moving palm tree number 5 in the garden.

    So I went to get my weapons and dispatched the nest in text book fashion.

    I noticed that this nest was full of eggs which is often not the case with the monster ants.

    What's in your garden?-p1010016crop-jpg


    So anyway I thought I would take the opportunity to see what a giant ant embryo looks like.

    What's in your garden?-p1010017crop-jpg

    Looks like a little alien emerging from its egg on the mining moonbase

    What's in your garden?-p1010018crop-jpg


    What's in your garden?-p1010020crop-jpg

    Opened a few more later indoors and found various states of maturity.

    What's in your garden?-p1010025crop-jpg

  4. #829
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by PAG View Post
    As planned, last night saw the nest removal people arrive, and all house external lights (and most internal) extinguished. The outer shell was burnt off first of all, then the core 'honeycomb' removed. M'Sahib tells me there are a couple of hornets buzzing around this morning, no doubt wondering where their house has gone. A couple of photos sent to M'Sahib last night, not sure if they'd eaten all the lavae or not by this time.
    I am glad your wife decided against tackling the removal herself , I depend on you daily covid report and would hate to have to find amd alternate source. Also it would be a real challenge having to think of good things to write about you at your obituary thread. LOL
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

  5. #830
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    I got my arse attacked by an evil horde of Myrmecia Gulosa while moving palm tree number 5 in the garden.
    I hate when Myrmecia Gulosa attacks me. by the time I find the dictionary to find out what the hell it is. I am all full of glucose.

  6. #831
    Thailand Expat
    Shutree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:58 PM
    Location
    One heartbeat away from eternity
    Posts
    2,204
    This feather was on the ground. It doesn't look like it belongs to any of the birds I usually see about. Is it something exotic or just the neighbour's chickens?

    What's in your garden?-feather-jpg

  7. #832
    A Cockless Wonder
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Posts
    13,484
    Love's fruity blossom has withered on the vine in Miss Lusty's back yard

    What's in your garden?-img_20211010_165055-jpg


    My attempts at some sizzling citrus cross-fertilisation has fired a blank.

  8. #833
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    Love's fruity blossom has withered on the vine in Miss Lusty's back yar

    My attempts at some sizzling citrus cross-fertilisation has fired a blank.
    Not a great expert on the subject. but from what I have seen from watching videos on YouTube on the subject. It seems to me that you grafted a way to big a branch to your root stock.
    Also, did you use any rooting hormone powder. I have been told that it helps.

  9. #834
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,940
    Been a busy last week or so.

    Few days back was watering potted plants by pool area and came across this visitor







    Its was a young Checkered Keelback snake. I moved him with my pool net to the side area and let it on its way



    With all the rain lots of creatures looking to hide

    Dragonfly taking a rest on the stairs



    I had to move our female tortoise to a secure area as all 3 males are doing stupid stuff and fighting, flipping each other over etc. Monster is pissed off he can't get to his squeeze.



    I stood by him and he is extremely focused albeit he did look at up me like WTH......



    I brought over in my suitcase a Meyers lemon seedling I grafted from a neighbor of my parents in the vineyards 2 years back on my last visit to the states. A few days ago it finally yielded 2 lemons. Problem though, I planted it in an area that it doesn't get much sun so today I transplanted it being the weather is mild due to the storms. I will be watching it closely. Lord knows I need my Whiskey Sours from time to time...



    My first Raspberry. I have been trying to grow these for a few years. Its only one but its a sign I have found a location it likes. I have 2 healthy plants so far.

  10. #835
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,940




    I have 5 Mulberry trees that are really producing. Odd this time of year. I have 16 more grafted from branches I will plant soon. I use the leaves to feed my tortoises and I enjoy the fruit..

  11. #836
    Thailand Expat
    malmomike77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    My first Raspberry. I have been trying to grow these for a few years. Its only one but its a sign I have found a location it likes. I have 2 healthy plants so far.
    That pic threw me JPPR, i saw the fruit but looked at the dark green glossy leaves and thought WTF, then spotted the Raspberry leaves mixed in

    Love Mulberrys too, can't get enough of them and so easy to grow, just take a cutting and root.

  12. #837
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    I brought over in my suitcase a Meyers lemon seedling I grafted from a neighbor of my parents in the vineyards 2 years back on my last visit to the states. A few days ago it finally yielded 2 lemons. Problem though, I planted it in an area that it doesn't get much sun so today I transplanted it being the weather is mild due to the storms. I will be watching it closely. Lord knows I need my Whiskey Sours from time to time...
    Very nice. I am jealous.
    I love lemons and use them in my cooking extensively.
    I had a hard time finding a decent size lemon tree in my neck of the woods (Khon Kaen) and I really looked, all I could find were some small seedlings about 24" tall that i would be dead before I get any lemons.
    I finally found one that's big enough just a couple of weeks ago, so I am waiting to see how it does.
    I have a big Lime tree, and i was thinking of grafting lemon to it , not sure if I should do it now or wait after the rains.
    Below is a picture of the lemon tree I just got. it needs a bit pruning but I wanted to wait until it got settled to being planted.
    What's in your garden?-lemon-jpg

  13. #838
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    I have a big Lime tree
    I have 6 lime trees that produce big ones and they are great for cooking and Margarita's but Lemons work so good with Salmon and Tilapia on the Q.

  14. #839
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,940
    Quote Originally Posted by malmomike77 View Post
    That pic threw me JPPR, i saw the fruit
    Yeah, Its my first Raspberry, even in green state. I would love to see the 2 plants take off and grow but they seem to die quick

  15. #840
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    I have 6 lime trees that produce big ones and they are great for cooking and Margarita's but Lemons work so good with Salmon and Tilapia on the Q.
    Lemon goes well wish so many things, I make a killer Killer baked lemon potatoes and chicken , also an egg white and lemon Sause for chicken and rice meatballs soup.

    Boy it gets dark early now days, not even six and I can it's almost dark. Time to take this show inside LOL

  16. #841
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    Lemon goes well wish so many things, I make a killer Killer baked lemon potatoes and chicken , also an egg white and lemon Sause for chicken and rice meatballs soup.

    Boy it gets dark early now days, not even six and I can it's almost dark. Time to take this show inside LOL
    Yep, did my dog run/walk on the back forty. Cloudy and drizzle it gets dark quick. I use Lemons for many things. I use them to make a Lemon Pepper marinade for Chicken wings on the BBQ as well as a really good Whiskey Sour.

    I hope it likes its new location.

  17. #842
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    05-12-2021 @ 07:18 AM
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
    Very nice. I am jealous.
    I love lemons and use them in my cooking extensively.
    I had a hard time finding a decent size lemon tree in my neck of the woods (Khon Kaen) and I really looked, all I could find were some small seedlings about 24" tall that i would be dead before I get any lemons.
    I finally found one that's big enough just a couple of weeks ago, so I am waiting to see how it does.
    I have a big Lime tree, and i was thinking of grafting lemon to it , not sure if I should do it now or wait after the rains.
    Below is a picture of the lemon tree I just got. it needs a bit pruning but I wanted to wait until it got settled to being planted.
    What's in your garden?-lemon-jpg
    Buckaroo Banzai

    Are you sure its a lemon tree?
    I was looking for some lime trees a couple of years back and found out that I needed to ask for "lemon" trees to get limes.
    Seems the Thai's call limes "lemons". I showed them pictures of limes and they were excited "oh lemon" they said.
    I ended up getting 2 lemon trees and they are growing limes just as they said they would.

  18. #843
    Thailand Expat
    Buckaroo Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Location
    My couch
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post
    Buckaroo Banzai

    Are you sure its a lemon tree?
    I was looking for some lime trees a couple of years back and found out that I needed to ask for "lemon" trees to get limes.
    Seems the Thai's call limes "lemons". I showed them pictures of limes and they were excited "oh lemon" they said.
    I ended up getting 2 lemon trees and they are growing limes just as they said they would.
    LMAO
    No not sure at all, though I had the wife explain that were not looking for limes, but lemons, He said he had plenty of lime trees at his shop, but no lemons, but he said he had two at his house and would bring them tomorrow. We went back the next day and sure enough he had two of them about 5 ft tall , one of which had a couple of lemons on it. I bought the one without the lemons because I did not think it was good transplanting a tree when it had fruit.
    Now that you mention your story, I wish I had bought the one with the lemons on it LOL
    Perhaps tomorrow I will go back and see if he still has it.

  19. #844
    Thailand Expat
    malmomike77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post
    I ended up getting 2 lemon trees and they are growing limes just as they said they would.

  20. #845
    Thailand Expat
    dirk diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    4,789
    We have had a lemon/lime (I'm confused now) tree for over 4 years now. It must be at least 10feet tall and never grown fruit.

  21. #846
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,940
    While not " What's In your garden" item thought I would share yard gloves that work really well. I never do yard work around these parts without a good set of gloves on. Too many unknowns and I have seen my FIL and neighbors get stung by scorpions and a few close calls with big centipedes plus numerous thorn shrubs can shred your fingers.



    I buy these off Lazada. They hold up well and are only a few bucks a set. Global house sells them I think but easier to buy a box of them off Lazada and have around the place.

  22. #847
    CCBW Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,940
    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post
    Seems the Thai's call limes "lemons".
    Yes they do, You ask a Thai, "do you have any lemons" at the store and they take you to a huge pile of limes. Same at a nursery. Makro sells Lemons but they are usually expensive. I buy them as I need them for now as I wait for my lemon tree to grow more...Hopefully.

  23. #848
    Thailand Expat
    dirk diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
    We have had a lemon/lime (I'm confused now) tree for over 4 years now. It must be at least 10feet tall and never grown fruit.
    Now she's telling me it's a pomelo tree.

  24. #849
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    05-12-2021 @ 07:18 AM
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
    Now she's telling me it's a pomelo tree.
    We have a couple of pomelo trees here and they never produced any fruit for years but in the last 2 years have started to have fruit the only problem is they tend to fall off before they are ripe.
    In my opinion I think they need lots and I mean lots of water.

  25. #850
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    05-12-2021 @ 07:18 AM
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    While not " What's In your garden" item thought I would share yard gloves that work really well. I never do yard work around these parts without a good set of gloves on. Too many unknowns and I have seen my FIL and neighbors get stung by scorpions and a few close calls with big centipedes plus numerous thorn shrubs can shred your fingers.



    I buy these off Lazada. They hold up well and are only a few bucks a set. Global house sells them I think but easier to buy a box of them off Lazada and have around the place.
    Hey stumpy do you have a name for these as I can't make out the name on the packaging, and its not to do with my monitor size or screen resolution and only small possibility it is to do with my eyesight.
    Also considering you short stature do they come in "man size" as I find it hard to find gloves here in Thailand that are big enough for me?

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •