Thread: Daily Moan

  1. #8401
    Thailand Expat
    BoganInParasite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    2,058
    Celebrated three years of Hilux ownership yesterday by having a songthaew back into it in the local hardware store car park. Driver wasn't drunk or on drugs, didn't run away, fully accepted he was to blame and didn't try to cry poor because I was a farang. Said to the wife later he couldn't be Thai, might be Lao. She laughed. We'd only paid the renewal of our first class insurance a couple of days ago and within an hour a rep had driven up from Nan and sorted the whole thing out. Door and fuel cover open and close so no urgency for the repair.

    Daily Moan-img_0302-jpg

  2. #8402
    I'm in Jail

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    28,785
    Quote Originally Posted by BoganInParasite View Post
    Driver wasn't drunk or on drugs, didn't run away, fully accepted he was to blame and didn't try to cry poor because I was a farang.
    Did you bottle him?

  3. #8403
    Thailand Expat
    thailazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Posts
    2,298
    That 70 age is starting to look within striking distance this decade and then I see these depressingly low numbers......As they say, the end is near.

    Daily Moan-screen-shot-2021-06-03-4-a

  4. #8404
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    5,045
    ^ Wow... 11 times a year!

    I can't wait.

  5. #8405
    fully fledged Mutt-packer TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Posts
    8,947
    They spelled week wrong. Surely.

  6. #8406
    Thailand Expat
    thailazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    They spelled week wrong. Surely.
    You are certainly an optimist!

  7. #8407
    Excommunicated baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Posts
    23,528
    Quote Originally Posted by BoganInParasite View Post
    We'd only paid the renewal of our first class insurance a couple of days ago
    looks like he damaged the tire also and thus need to replace all 4 tires

  8. #8408
    Thailand Expat
    BoganInParasite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    2,058
    First things first Baldrick, I'm still working up a reason to get the two weather visors on the top of the rear doors that one of our labs damaged included. I'm thinking of arguing the impact and subsequent shaking cracked the plastic. And of course there is the damage to my prostate, seems to have shrunk more.(Getting old is overrated.) - BiP
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    looks like he damaged the tire also and thus need to replace all 4 tires

  9. #8409
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:03 AM
    Location
    The Kingdom of Lanna
    Posts
    12,103
    What is it with Thais and breaking stuff.

    The latest? The squeegee-like floor mop.

    I swear "give them an anvil and they will break it"

  10. #8410
    Hangin' Around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    23,848
    Well I'm definitely 'chief plastic crap breaker' in our half Thai household.

    And those squeegees come into the category.

  11. #8411
    fully fledged Mutt-packer TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Posts
    8,947
    They certainly do not make them to last!

  12. #8412
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    22,397
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    They certainly do not make them to last!
    Many always purchase the least expensive/locally available. Others purchase criteria are different.
    Last edited by OhOh; 05-06-2021 at 08:24 PM.

  13. #8413
    Thailand Expat
    BoganInParasite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    2,058
    ^Feel sorry for the everyday poorer Thai. Many don't have an option to buy anything other than the cheapest product, generally because of budget but often because only low quality is available. Then it breaks and has to be replaced. Cycle continues. Poor stay poor and CP Group, et all get richer.

  14. #8414
    Thailand Expat
    strigils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    cerne abbas
    Posts
    2,086
    ^ not lies there. I have known a lucrative side market in chicken that didn't make the grade but was OK for dog food and found its way back into the food chain. Makes you wonder sometimes. In other parts of teh world where they top the animals in front of you, may be brutal but assured of being fresh.

  15. #8415
    I am not a cat
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,774
    I will take a double today.

    So, decided to take a lazy half day this morning, and only work this afternoon (on a break now). So, a morning (3 or 4 hours) in bed, watching TV, breakfast in bed etc. Luxury. So, decided better get on with work, got up, went to the loo for a crap and a shower. At which point everyone in the family needed to have a conversation with me. Why, why people will not allow me to use the bathroom in peace is a mystery. Bathroom time is sacrosanct.

    The second one is a weird one, and I have just thrown my hands up on it, and even the missus is getting a bit annoyed. So we live on a generally quiet small soi. Every afternoon a couple of the old people in the street get together for a chat for a few hours. They take some chairs, and sit by the side of the street for a few hours. For some reason, they have been slowly migrating up the street. The current favoured spot is exactly opposite my fucking front door. So, for the last few weeks they have been carrying plastic chairs 20 meters down the soi to sit exactly opposite my front door. Why? Who knows. It *could* have been a sun problem, but there are many, many places before my house that would serve equally as well. It is just all very strange.

  16. #8416
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,290
    Gotta love med insurance companies stupidity. A few years back I broke my big toe messing around on my mountain bike. No big deal. Came home, taped it up and limped for a few days until the swelling went away. No issues however about 2 weeks ago I felt this bump near the ball of my foot by the big toe. I ignored it but then it started to swell and hurt. I went to the hospital and they did an X-ray and it appears a small bone chip has been floating around and has made its way to the surface. I say "OK, Just give me a local and lop the area open and remove it, add a few stitches and we can call it a day". They called my insurance company and they will not pay for the quick and easy way. The only way they will pay is if I have an official surgery. WTF. Now I have to go to CM for an "Official" Surgery where they have to admit me, I have to get all dressed in the hospital gown and stay 1 night. . If I do it the way I suggested, the surgery is about 6k to 8K baht but I have to pay out of pocket and I said "OK"..Wife said "No Why pay it when we have insurance". The way the insurance company requires I do it will cost 28k to 32k baht but they pay in full. Medical insurance systems are so stupid. This could be done in 30 minutes as an outpatient deal.

  17. #8417
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    5,045
    ^^
    Nid... for both moans... to me it just seems like you're really popular.

  18. #8418
    fully fledged Mutt-packer TheRealKW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Posts
    8,947
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    This could be done in 30 minutes as an outpatient deal.
    For the sake of 8K... I know what I would opt for.

  19. #8419
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    19-07-2021 @ 03:05 PM
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Gotta love med insurance companies stupidity. A few years back I broke my big toe messing around on my mountain bike. No big deal. Came home, taped it up and limped for a few days until the swelling went away. No issues however about 2 weeks ago I felt this bump near the ball of my foot by the big toe. I ignored it but then it started to swell and hurt. I went to the hospital and they did an X-ray and it appears a small bone chip has been floating around and has made its way to the surface. I say "OK, Just give me a local and lop the area open and remove it, add a few stitches and we can call it a day". They called my insurance company and they will not pay for the quick and easy way. The only way they will pay is if I have an official surgery. WTF. Now I have to go to CM for an "Official" Surgery where they have to admit me, I have to get all dressed in the hospital gown and stay 1 night. . If I do it the way I suggested, the surgery is about 6k to 8K baht but I have to pay out of pocket and I said "OK"..Wife said "No Why pay it when we have insurance". The way the insurance company requires I do it will cost 28k to 32k baht but they pay in full. Medical insurance systems are so stupid. This could be done in 30 minutes as an outpatient deal.

    So if, in the future you post that you went to the hospital and stayed overnight, we will know who the real "BOSS" is won't we!

  20. #8420
    I am not a cat
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    ^^
    Nid... for both moans... to me it just seems like you're really popular.
    LOL. Never thought of it that way.......

  21. #8421
    I am not a cat
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,774
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    For the sake of 8K... I know what I would opt for.
    Yup. For me as well. F*ck it and done.....

  22. #8422
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,290
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKW View Post
    For the sake of 8K... I know what I would opt for.
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Yup. For me as well. F*ck it and done.....
    I was all done in my mind, F it I will pay. Easy peasy. but......wait....a Thai wife and money.

    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post
    So if, in the future you post that you went to the hospital and stayed overnight, we will know who the real "BOSS" is won't we!
    Hey ootai, when it comes to money, it is a hard sell to a Thai women to pay for something you do not have to. My little "Baht-Pincher" watches everything even though she doesn't have to. She even saves those silly little satang 1/4 and 1/2 baht coins which I toss in the trash when she is not looking. She also gets up at midnight to do the big Lazada sale to save money on dog food and house supplies. I do have to hand it to her, she does save a lot of money where as I am a guy, I just buy it and do not search to save a dollar. So for me to willingly cough up say 8K baht when I can get it done free will be some work.

    She knows I am not all that happy with the stupidity of the insurance company. She did call yesterday to negotiate that if I do the surgery can I discharge myself and not stay. It appears I might be able to pull that off. I win, the hospital wins. Its all wait and see now.

  23. #8423
    Thailand Expat
    BoganInParasite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    2,058
    ^nid...I've been researching natural pest controls lately. Seems a lot of Thai pests are deterred by moth balls or a mixture of chopped/minced garlic and salt. Your old folks might qualify as Thai pests. Worth a try. (Disclaimer...I've not tried these options yet but I did buy a packet of moth balls. The geckos and ants are beginning to shit me.)

  24. #8424
    I am not a cat
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,774
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    My little "Baht-Pincher" watches everything even though she doesn't have to. .
    Definitely a keeper. And worth a little aggravation for sure.

  25. #8425
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,290
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Definitely a keeper. And worth a little aggravation for sure.
    Yeah, I agree I know a few expats that once they married all spending control went out the window.

    Additionally, the upside is I will get a free night and meal in a private room.

    That said though, I am still lobbying for the self discharge option. Waiting on call to confirm before scheduling.

Page 337 of 345 FirstFirst ... 237287327329330331332333334335336337338339340341342343344345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •