Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 224

Thread: Pool Plans

  1. #126
    In Uranus
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,933
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Not like dragging a sled across mud...
    Heh I know what you mean. I once got an old truck of mine so stuck that it took a week coming up to the trail after work to dig it out. I learned my lesson then and said never again.

  2. #127
    Thailand Expat
    naptownmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    22-11-2020 @ 06:58 AM
    Posts
    1,108
    Ha I was just going to say how well your grass was holding up with all the traffic.

  3. #128
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmike View Post
    Ha I was just going to say how well your grass was holding up with all the traffic.
    Yeah Mike the area where he sunk the tire was a hole where I removed a tree about 6 months ago and filled with dirt. Fortunately the pool will be there so all that grass will be gone. The rest is holding up remarkably well. You know all that grass so to speak is from me letting the other side of the property grass go to seed then I mowed it up and then spread it out and it took off really well.

  4. #129
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Posts
    7,884
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Had us a little "Sunk my loaded cement truck in the mud ordeal".



    It sunk quick and was at a level that the cement chute would not align to allow the cement out of the barrel....sooooo
    That's normal procedure after finishing that they flush out the cement properly with lot of water.

    Afterwards checking whether they can leave (please, call one more truck)...

    Pool Plans-11032601-jpg


    Pool Plans-11032621-jpg

  5. #130
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324

    10/18

    Well as most that are living here know, we have been hammered with on and off rain slowing progress a bit. Pretty standard fare



    Pool bar/ jacuzzi area





    Side deck cement area



    With the rain on and off, We got our list of things we needed to go look at and order and took a trek to Chiang Mai for the day





    First up was picking a granite slab for the pool bar. Being this isn't a resort hotel, the bar will be relatively small. Slab Design in pic will be 2.5 ft wide x 5 ft long x 1" thick. They will round the edges and deliver next week



    The pool bar roof area will be supported by 4" Galvanized steel poles and the roof will be set at a small angle to have any rain run off towards the back. You may think, "why only 3 poles?". The front 2 will be tall and the back 2 will be very short and sitting on top of the cement wall in the back. We will also have 3 rows of the square glass blocks install in the wall for light and decoration. I also plan on 3 or 4 shelves to put up all my old tequila ceramic decanters I have collected over the years.



    Roof supports arrived today. Using all galvanized steel. None of the steel and prime it process.



    With the sala in place, my wife took over with her planting hobby and set up a bunch of plants around the perimeter.





    Eventually many of those will be transplanted into the ground. My wife has found that its best to plant in pots and set them where you would like them to be and let them acclimate. This way of the do not like the location we can easily move.

  6. #131
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324

    10/21 or 21/10

    After a day or so of rain we are back at it. I whacked my finger open tossing foundation framing pieces into a pile as one happened to have a nail in it. 8 stitches and a little blood loss.



    Typical blocks were delivered for pool wall and back wall for pool bar.



    Pool bar framing taking shape.



    Poles on right will be to hold the composite wood privacy wall. I left a small gap to get to the backside to trim my hedges and no mess in the pool


    Many calls today,


    • The deck composite wood is being trucked up from BKK Friday
    • The granite pool top for the bar will be delivered tomorrow
    • The fiberglass pool manufacturer called to confirm stair location, lighting, slope distance and which end the pool fountains will be installed.

  7. #132
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    23-11-2020 @ 07:02 PM
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post

    After a day or so of rain we are back at it. I whacked my finger open tossing foundation framing pieces into a pile as one happened to have a nail in it. 8 stitches and a little blood loss.

    Poles on right will be to hold the composite wood privacy wall. I left a small gap to get to the backside to trim my hedges and no mess in the pool.

    JPPR2
    Well done on the date caters for all types. 5555

    As for the cut finger that's what you get for pretending to be one of the workers and not the client. Leave the work to the people you are paying might be a good idea.
    I reckon it might be because you're getting old but still think you are young.

    I don't understand why you want to build a wall alongside the pool deck when the hedge provides just as good privacy, I realise the hedge might shed leaves that might get in the pool but it seems a bit of a waste to me.

  8. #133
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324
    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post
    JPPR2
    Well done on the date caters for all types. 5555

    As for the cut finger that's what you get for pretending to be one of the workers and not the client. Leave the work to the people you are paying might be a good idea.
    I reckon it might be because you're getting old but still think you are young.

    I don't understand why you want to build a wall alongside the pool deck when the hedge provides just as good privacy, I realise the hedge might shed leaves that might get in the pool but it seems a bit of a waste to me.

    Thanks ootai,

    Actually I have been working like a mad man on the pool with my wife's uncle. As you know shit happens when working in construction. Better than sitting on a porch watching people work for ya...no? I just can't do it. Age is only what one makes it out to be. I have been working my entire life and grew up on a farm so sitting around isn't gonna happen. My wife says I am crazy but I am OK with that.

    As for the hedges, it was a back and forth decision. In the end, the hedges shed a lot of little leaves and those will plug up a pool filter fast. So we decided to leave a gap.

  9. #134
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324
    Had 2 deliveries today. Spent an hour unloading the composite decking off the truck. Driver was just the driver.



    Guy drove all the way up from BKK. Damn composite decking is heavy. Didn't rip my stitches open unloading. . Wife was gone at the market and my FIL can't lift anything, He just watched



    Granite arrived for the Bar top and the bench my wife wants made in the corner by the big tree.

    Uncle and his business partner are welding up the Pool bar roof and the privacy fence. Will update later with pics

  10. #135
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    3,343
    The project's moving fast JPPR, looking good... you don't seem to have nearly as much rain over the past couple of weeks we've (they've) had in Korat.

    By the way, where did you get that gym stuff two pic up? I'm thinking of something similar if I ever get home. Any recommendations of makes?

  11. #136
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    The project's moving fast JPPR, looking good... you don't seem to have nearly as much rain over the past couple of weeks we've (they've) had in Korat.
    Did have a minor set back today. I screwed up and ordered the granite top to small for the bar. Originally the pool bar was going to be smaller but we expanded it and now it would look funny. I had to order a new piece today with a cross-eyed look from my wife. We will figure out something to do with the other piece

    In regards to the weather, we had a 3 day rain lock in this past week that has subsided. Now its cool northern weather and blue skies. I used to live and work in Korat as I think I had mentioned, I have many former Thai colleagues that still live and work there and they send me pictures of cars up to their doors, streets a meter deep in water and the good ole Save One area a floating market.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    By the way, where did you get that gym stuff two pic up? I'm thinking of something similar if I ever get home. Any recommendations of makes?
    Actually I searched around for quite some times for a gym system that I could do everything. I ended up with Horizon. I bought it 3.5 years ago. I use it more again now that I am working remotely. I really like it. Been very reliable and I have had to move it 3 or 4 times and it easy.


  12. #137
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks JP... I knew you would have done a lot of research for the home gym... I'll check Horizon out.

    Just a thought... I used leftover granite from our kitchen for a poolside barbeque.

    Sorry, but this is the only picture I have to hand... Skkin cooked for us a while ago.


  13. #138
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    Thanks JP... I knew you would have done a lot of research for the home gym... I'll check Horizon out.

    Just a thought... I used leftover granite from our kitchen for a poolside barbeque.

    Sorry, but this is the only picture I have to hand... Skkin cooked for us a while ago.

    Hey now. That could be an idea. Wife and I laughed about my "extra piece of granite" but will surely put it to good use.

    You are welcome on the Gym set reference.

  14. #139
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324

    10/24 or 24/10 update

    Was a beautiful day up here in the North. Mild temps and perfect weather to work in. I was out taking care of the Jungle today mowing and trimming while they worked on the Pool bar roof and masonry work.



    Roof frame done, Installing the facia now





    Started the back wall today



    Privacy wall welding done, will do brick for lower half then composite wood for top half

  15. #140
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324

    10/26 or 26/10

    Progress is moving along, Received the roofing material, Pool bar wall in place and rendered completed front and back. Side privacy wall brick work done.








    Weather has been favorable allowing for nice cooler weather to work.

  16. #141
    In Uranus
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    21,933
    Moving along at a rapid clip. Looking good!

  17. #142
    Thailand Expat
    naptownmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    22-11-2020 @ 06:58 AM
    Posts
    1,108
    Looking great.
    Can't wait to see the pool.

  18. #143
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    Moving along at a rapid clip. Looking good!
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmike View Post
    Looking great.
    Can't wait to see the pool.
    Thanks. It is progressing along at a good clip. We had a big rain blow through late yesterday and through the night but is clear today. I am waiting for final pool design configuration to review and approve. Plan is still mid November for excavation and install. The composite decking install will be the last process.

  19. #144
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324

    10/28 or 28/10.

    Progress continuing at a good clip



    Last night. I am not the roof installer so I have been relegated to shoveling and moving sand right now.



    Back wall of pool bar area rendered or textured as most say





    The new Granite pieces arrived today.

    Pool company sent final draft of pool configuration and I showed where I wanted the LED lights placed. They also sent the pump house dimensions so I can plan where to place it.


    On a quick side note: Appears the guy that sold us the composite deck wood took the money and ran. We had no idea until the company called my wife 3 days after delivery and asked when are we going to pay. She said we paid your rep on day of delivery and then sent all transaction info we had paid in full with a wire transfer. The company was extremely apologetic and said it is not our concern but they have filed a police report and the police would call. The police called and my wife gave them a verbal acct of what happened over the phone. My wife who has the guys line acct and FB acct has been following it. This morning the police posted an arrest warrant on his FB page and the company posted a warning that this employee has been fired and not to do business with him for their company. For my wife and I this is really odd in that this guy drove all the way down to meet us in Sattahip from BKK to show us the product. After a small deposit securing the price with him he and his wife drove up to our house to do the final configuration measurement to confirm and place the order. He ordered all the composite decking and we took delivery. I then wired the balance owed to his business acct and he lined my wife he has received payment and Thank you and that was that. This isn't a tremendous amount money. The only thing my wife can surmise is he set up a bunch of deliveries within a 3 or 4 day period and took it all.

  20. #145
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    38,977
    Doubtless I've missed it, but are you having heating in the pool?

  21. #146
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Doubtless I've missed it, but are you having heating in the pool?
    At this time its not planned Ant. The pool will see a lot of sun (roughly 7am until 4pm). I will go a few seasons and see. If I need to I will add solar thermal conversion panels to the pool bar roof. I used them in the states and they work outstanding. In fact got the pool too hot and had to figure out some baffling to turn it on and off. They are made of UV impregnated ABS black plastic. That said I enjoyed my jacuzzi I have now and never used the heater and it was in the shade all the time.

    It will be a wait and see but easy to add if required.

  22. #147
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    3,343
    The water temperature in my pool in Korat varies between around 23 degrees between December and February and up to 33 degrees during the hot season.

    I find 28 degrees nice for swimming lengths and just messing about with my daughter, but 23 degrees just a bit too cold for comfort (I'm getting soft in my old age).

    I've been considering some kind of simple solar heating system for years to cover the 'cold' months but have never got round to it. I was thinking about using black hosing feathered across the far side of our pool house (out of sight) with a small pump to keep circulation... or something like that. I've been told that in Australia people sometimes put truck inner tyres into pools to keep the water warm during the winter. We get the sun during the winter, but I think that would spoil the pool's appearance a bit!

    But... there's been a lot on UK radio lately about the benefits of cold water swimming in warding off dementia. I'm no spring chicken so maybe I'll just leave it as and hopefully not get any more senile.

  23. #148
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    38,977
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    At this time its not planned Ant. The pool will see a lot of sun (roughly 7am until 4pm). I will go a few seasons and see. If I need to I will add solar thermal conversion panels to the pool bar roof. I used them in the states and they work outstanding. In fact got the pool too hot and had to figure out some baffling to turn it on and off. They are made of UV impregnated ABS black plastic. That said I enjoyed my jacuzzi I have now and never used the heater and it was in the shade all the time.

    It will be a wait and see but easy to add if required.
    OK cool, cheers, was just curious because ours has one but I haven't used it yet but CM's cooler temperatures are right on the brink for swimming at the moment (for me at least).

    Once you're in it's fine but there can be some sudden and severe shrinkage!

  24. #149
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,816
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Once you're in it's fine but there can be some sudden and severe shrinkage!
    Pool Plans-giphy-gif

  25. #150
    CCBW JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    7,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    The water temperature in my pool in Korat varies between around 23 degrees between December and February and up to 33 degrees during the hot season.

    I find 28 degrees nice for swimming lengths and just messing about with my daughter, but 23 degrees just a bit too cold for comfort (I'm getting soft in my old age).

    I've been considering some kind of simple solar heating system for years to cover the 'cold' months but have never got round to it. I was thinking about using black hosing feathered across the far side of our pool house (out of sight) with a small pump to keep circulation... or something like that. I've been told that in Australia people sometimes put truck inner tyres into pools to keep the water warm during the winter. We get the sun during the winter, but I think that would spoil the pool's appearance a bit!

    But... there's been a lot on UK radio lately about the benefits of cold water swimming in warding off dementia. I'm no spring chicken so maybe I'll just leave it as and hopefully not get any more senile.
    Hey Mendip,
    I suspect I will see similar temps annually. I am actually more worried about the pool getting to hot and that is not comfortable to swim in as its just not refreshing. Now in fairness I grew up surfing in Northern California and regularly swam in waters 12c (55deg) to 16c (62 deg). Winters were always wet suit but I always leery as they make you look like a sea lion and there are plenty of big Blue sharks with an occasional Mako or Great White that swim on down from Ano Nuevo island area. So cooler for me is OK. I never read about the dementia news but like you, that could be an upside as I slowly die off.

    There are many options to heat a pool. They make that plastic air bubble material that you can use as a cover that heats the pool. You just roll it up when done Like this Just Cool Solutions - Pool Covers. I know a few friends in Las Vegas that used that style and it worked really well during the winter. They had the same issue we have here where their pools go to hot in summer. A few came up with some ingenious ideas.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •