Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52
  1. #26
    The Familyman Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    31,836
    You are installing a lift to go up one storey or are there more floors? Get a Stanna stair lift

    Looking good anyhow.

  2. #27
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:58 AM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    22,170
    ^ planning for old age when you need a wheelchair

    or making kinky sex in the elevator porn vids

  3. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Posts
    621
    I thought you said you were building a house not a palace, over 2 million bucks stuff me.
    Anyway i think I finally worked out why you need a lift and that is to save all the space a stairway takes up, good idea.
    Also now I know why you left that area open between the first and second floor (sorry I've been around Yanks too much) should have said between the ground and first floor.
    And the reason is so you can throw a rope over the balustrade and climb down when the lift breaks down.

    Good Luck with the build and hope you enjoy the new house once its complete.

  4. #29
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    You are installing a lift to go up one storey or are there more floors? Get a Stanna stair lift

    Looking good anyhow.
    Just one storey
    Elevator - brushed steel outside (no fingerprints) smoke mirror glass inside diffused lighting will make make me look good!

    Stanna stair lift? You’ve been hanging around nursing homes too long - no matter whatever lights your fire - personally at your age I would give Tinder a crack

  5. #30
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post
    I thought you said you were building a house not a palace, over 2 million bucks stuff me.
    Anyway i think I finally worked out why you need a lift and that is to save all the space a stairway takes up, good idea.
    Also now I know why you left that area open between the first and second floor (sorry I've been around Yanks too much) should have said between the ground and first floor.
    And the reason is so you can throw a rope over the balustrade and climb down when the lift breaks down.



    Good Luck with the build and hope you enjoy the new house once its complete.
    You missed the staircase on the plans - it’s there believe me.

    Thanks for your comments - once I show you the completed job I think you will like it,

  6. #31
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    ^ planning for old age when you need a wheelchair

    or making kinky sex in the elevator porn vids
    The lift is rated for only 450kg - by my reckoning that’s
    Dils and a dwarf - I’m not knocking him it still could be kinky!

  7. #32
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    10,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman123 View Post
    Are termites not a problem in your area?

    Just a little surprised that, given the expense of the build, that you didn't go for a steel frame.

    I can see that the wood has the anti-termite stain on it, but once you cut it (as you can see in the photo above), the cut end is just bare wood.

    ---

    Re the Penfolds Grange ... Re-corking Wine Clinics | Penfolds | Penfolds Wines
    and
    Sell Penfolds Grange Hermitage - 10 Useful Tips | Wickmans Wine Auctions

    ---

    Great to see you back.

    As an aside, I'm sure an update to this pearler of a thread ... Ever played the Matchmaker ... might be in order
    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

  8. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman123 View Post
    You missed the staircase on the plans - it’s there believe me. ,
    What did Homer Simpson say "doh".
    I had another look and see the stairs just opposite the lift.
    I have been thinking about getting new glasses nice time I visit Perth but I don't know what to do about the deteriorating brain.

  9. #34
    Hansum Man! panama hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:58 AM
    Location
    Way, Way South of the border now - thank God!
    Posts
    20,809
    Quote Originally Posted by ootai View Post
    I have been thinking about getting new glasses nice time I visit Perth but I don't know what to do about the deteriorating brain.
    Perth isn't the place to buy a new brain, I'm told - too many Kiwis there

  10. #35
    Thailand Expat
    NamPikToot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    53.765762, -2.692337.
    Posts
    9,778
    Iceman, is it primarily a timber framed house?.

  11. #36
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Are termites not a problem in your area?

    Just a little surprised that, given the expense of the build, that you didn't go for a steel frame.

    I can see that the wood has the anti-termite stain on it, but once you cut it (as you can see in the photo above), the cut end is just bare wood.

    ---

    Re the Penfolds Grange ... Re-corking Wine Clinics | Penfolds | Penfolds Wines
    and
    Sell Penfolds Grange Hermitage - 10 Useful Tips | Wickmans Wine Auctions

    ---

    Great to see you back.

    As an aside, I'm sure an update to this pearler of a thread ... Ever played the Matchmaker ... might be in order
    Cheers David

    Termites - not a big issue where I live - Termite barrier is under slab,

    Steel frame - decided against - expansion and shrinking due to SA weather makes it a noisy creaky build.

    No happy ending to the matchmaker thread - she is still on market

    Progress at 4th January with big Boss making an inspection.

    South Australian New House Build-img_24391-jpg

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by NamPikToot View Post
    Iceman, is it primarily a timber framed house?.
    Looks like it!

    Here is a pic from 18th January - I was too lazy to get out of my car.
    South Australian New House Build-img_24821-png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Australian New House Build-img_2482-jpg  

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat
    katie23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    PI
    Posts
    4,425
    @iceman - very interesting. Thanks. No macho workmen in proper PPE? What can I ogle on?

    I guess I'll have to be content with Men At Work (Down Under).

    Re: the sis in law - hmm. Interesting news as well. So her fake mammaries didn't do the trick? Does she speak better English now?

    Cheers!

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by katie23 View Post
    @iceman - very interesting. Thanks. No macho workmen in proper PPE? What can I ogle on?

    I guess I'll have to be content with Men At Work (Down Under).

    Re: the sis in law - hmm. Interesting news as well. So her fake mammaries didn't do the trick? Does she speak better English now?

    Cheers!
    555

    Sis in Law - English is worse - Wants Thai man only - Falang no good.

  15. #40
    The Familyman Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    31,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman123 View Post
    Sis in Law - English is worse - Wants Thai man only - Falang no good
    Sid will sort that out... and your driveway

  16. #41
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Posts
    6,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman123 View Post
    South Australian New House Build-img_24821-png
    Is in the area no bushfire danger?
    (just a thought...)

  17. #42
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,595
    No danger of bushfires where I live thank God

  18. #43
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,595
    Friday 21st January

    South Australian New House Build-img_2499-png

  19. #44
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    36,383
    Taking shape nicely.


  20. #45
    Thailand Expat
    Headworx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Jomtien
    Posts
    4,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman123 View Post
    the wine is all hermitage - penfolds removed the Hermitage moniker a few years ago and now known as Penfolds Grange.

    trust me even after double decanting the 73 and 85 I just did not get it!

    not a big Shiraz fan - cab sav from the Coonawarra- hard to go wrong - and cheap as chips- there’s a good Scotsman for you,
    I've tasted Grange before but it's wasted. Like pretty much everyone, I can tell a good wine from cheap plonk but can't pick much difference between a good wine and a really good one that costs a motza. Speaking of which, they have Grange at Foodland for anyone interested in giving it a shot

    South Australian New House Build-20200205_083852-jpg

  21. #46
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Posts
    6,478
    Wondering why Australia and USA (and Canada as well) are the only countries making their homes by timber construction? (OK, not counting some countries in Africa)...

    Is it because of the frequent bush fires and hurricanes often occurring there?

  22. #47
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    10,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondyke View Post
    Wondering why Australia and USA (and Canada as well) are the only countries making their homes by timber construction? (OK, not counting some countries in Africa)...

    Is it because of the frequent bush fires and hurricanes often occurring there?
    Re Australia ...

    They have Cyclones ... they spin the other way to hurricanes.

    Adelaide, where the OP is building, they don't get Cyclones. Friggin' hot in Summer though.

    Different areas in Australia have different building standards and wind ratings, hence the level of preparedness for cyclones.

    All after 1974 when Cyclone Tracy leveled Australians northern city, Darwin at Christmas.

    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

  23. #48
    The Familyman Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    31,836
    Hows the build getting on?

    Probably a bit late now but In hot countries I don't understand why they don't build basements. Its much cooler down there.

    Whack in some reinforced glass, put your pool on one side and pond on the other, get some fish and your sons naked glamour model birds around and you have your own underwater world





  24. #49
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    Hows the build getting on?

    Whack in some reinforced glass, put your pool on one side and pond on the other, get some fish and your sons naked glamour model birds around and you have your own underwater world




    Bit slow going on the build just now - I should have used chinkies - they can build a hospital in a few days

    no pool at the new house - my son’s pool has a few good stories to tell - I’ll save them for another thread.

  25. #50
    or TizYou?
    TizMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    02-04-2020 @ 11:02 PM
    Location
    Bonifacio Global City, Taguig
    Posts
    6,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    Probably a bit late now but In hot countries I don't understand why they don't build basements. Its much cooler down there.
    I think digging foundations deeper in cold climates is required, to be below the frost line, so it doesn't add too much additional cost to just add a basement. In warmer climates it is just cheaper to go up than down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •