Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: I got piles

  1. #1
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    24-11-2020 @ 11:02 PM
    Posts
    80

    I got piles

    That's got to get someones attention

    Got a 2 story house Orbortor 4 hours drive away
    Cant get anyone on the phone to understand.

    When there the lady told us told piling required 8 meters deep

    She said house columns should be 15cm x 15 cm but we will use 20cm x 20cm

    She mentioned square Piles but never said what width

    Sorry if this is a daft question but are the columns and piles usually the same size

    I looked and they have 18 x 18 and 22 x 22 but not 20 x 20

    Which gives me the impression they would be to support 15 x 15 and 20 x 20

    I am guessing does anyone know if this is the case?
    Last edited by Tanlic; 07-08-2019 at 09:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    12,547
    Sounds like they're taking the piss. I never had to comply with any of that shite. Do they come around to check?

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    9,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    She said house columns should be 15cm x 15 cm but we will use 20cm x 20cm

    She mentioned square columns but never said want size
    So the 15x15cm is not a size?

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Mendip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    3,359
    By columns do you mean the reinforced concrete poles/posts that form the framework of the house?

    If so, I don't think exactly matching with the pile size matters too much.

    When we built a house, 9m deep friction piles were first installed, which were then tied in to the foundation reinforced concrete footings that were approximately 1m cube (maybe a bit less). The reinforced concrete columns were tied into and built up from these concrete footings. I can't see that it matters if piles and columns are exactly the same size. Sorry about my terminology if wrong.

    By memory, the metal friction piles were H-shaped and required in case of heave/subsidence (we are on clay soil). I would say that the concrete columns built up from the foundations were similar in size, but probably a bit larger than the metal piles. If in doubt, I would go for the 22 x 22 if the price isn't too much more.

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    24-11-2020 @ 11:02 PM
    Posts
    80
    Where did you put the rubble when your house fell down ?lol

    Depends where you are building in a town you bet your ass they check...go off plan and its hand out time


    In most districts if you build bigger than 150 sqm you require planning permission


    If you don't ask and you do you again better have a few quid handy.

    If you are in Bumfukidaho no one cares but for a few grand you can get a set of drawing certified

    you can even get them off the shelf they have dozens to chose from.

    One draw back is if you or your spouse ever want to sell and Mr Somchai tries to get a mortgage from a bank??

    I never knew this until recently so I asked my Bank and they said they are becoming stricter
    They only lend on the land value not the house which often means the customer has to find another property

  6. #6
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    24-11-2020 @ 11:02 PM
    Posts
    80
    yes thye have 15 x 15 and 13 by 13 but then precast columns are 10 x10 and 12 x 12

    its why not 20 x 20 which is usually the next size up from 15 x 15 columns

  7. #7
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    24-11-2020 @ 11:02 PM
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendip View Post
    By columns do you mean the reinforced concrete poles/posts that form the framework of the house?

    If so, I don't think exactly matching with the pile size matters too much.

    When we built a house, 9m deep friction piles were first installed, which were then tied in to the foundation reinforced concrete footings that were approximately 1m cube (maybe a bit less). The reinforced concrete columns were tied into and built up from these concrete footings. I can't see that it matters if piles and columns are exactly the same size. Sorry about my terminology if wrong.

    By memory, the metal friction piles were H-shaped and required in case of heave/subsidence (we are on clay soil). I would say that the concrete columns built up from the foundations were similar in size, but probably a bit larger than the metal piles. If in doubt, I would go for the 22 x 22 if the price isn't too much more.
    That actually makes good sense to me. I have built many houses here and in the UK but always pads here so this is a new baby for me.not much demand for piles in the Highlands of Scotland 6mm down you need explosives LOL

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    30-10-2020 @ 01:39 PM
    Location
    Ballarat Australia
    Posts
    1,456
    I have seen on a number of occasions where they drive into the earth with a drop hammer multiples of concrete columns of say 25 x 25 into the ground until they stop. These are then Cut of at a nominal height to be what the foundations or slab are poured on....Are we talking about the same thing. ??
    Last edited by Mozzbie47; 07-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Klondyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Posts
    7,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozzbie47 View Post
    I have seen on a number of occasions where they drive into the earth with a drop hammer multiples of concrete columns of say 25 x 25 into the ground until they stop. These are then Cut of at a nominal height to be what the foundations or slab are poured on
    Yes, seeing such forest of very uneven piles either, e.g. in Mapthaput for foundation for power generator. But for 1-2 stories family house?

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    30-10-2020 @ 01:39 PM
    Location
    Ballarat Australia
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondyke View Post
    Yes, seeing such forest of very uneven piles either, e.g. in Mapthaput for foundation for power generator. But for 1-2 stories family house?
    Yes, I believe that is all they can do in many cases. Is'nt the tallest building in Bangkok done just that way, multiple columns because there is no base to build to, thats why they say Bangkok is sinking. I have watched hollow piles being boared into the soil in Bangkok, they just go very deep..Let me get this right, the columns are round and hollow, they bore the middle out and the columns sink down into the earth,,google it to see what I am trying to say..I have photos somewhere but would take me a day to find em.
    Last edited by Mozzbie47; 07-08-2019 at 03:03 PM.

  11. #11
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    24-11-2020 @ 11:02 PM
    Posts
    80
    I was asked to quote for a job in Suthiusan but tbh thought better of it.. piles I am told 32 meters deep..That is scary

    My freinds at https://www.onestockhome.com/en/prod...2_bricks_q-con

    are at it again

    I got piles-shit-jpgAm I missing something?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I got piles-shit-jpg  

  12. #12
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    24-11-2020 @ 11:02 PM
    Posts
    80
    This company are at the madam.........be afraid be very afraid LOL I complaint he cuts the price to 22.90 but if his truck cant go I pick up. So I ask why are you advertising 16.50? Oh that's ex-factory price he says.

    Great can I have that? is ask...ok but you have to pick up your self...........where?...........China he said LOL actually Saraburi.

    In truth they are trying to hide the fact if you are not in BKK there prices are not competitive

  13. #13
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    24-11-2020 @ 11:02 PM
    Posts
    80
    Thanks for the answers got a quote for 22 x 22 x 8m 61,000 for 120 installed which is much less than I thought it would be

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •